PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed on SUNDAY TV Show

rome
12-10-07, 02:02 PM
Hey All,

Need some help on a story I'm putting together for the SUNDAY Show on Channel Nine.

It's a story on the car scene in Sydney which looks at the culture of car enthusiast.

All the story's on the car scene have been pretty one sided and sensationalist and Im looking at doing something more in-depth.

Would really like some help and input in putting a story like this together.

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PM me or email me on [email protected]

Cheers,

Jerome

PS This is a chance to get your views heard.

Mike.V?!
13-10-07, 11:26 AM
How did this thread manage to last nearly 24 hours without being torn to shreds?

RaYmO
13-10-07, 11:55 AM

Sensationalism works for the media, it's how they get their ratings.

Our views may be the truth but I'm pretty damn sure it will be a bit too boring to hit the press.

I'm not keen on participating in the event that I end in the backdrop of yet another street hoon/illegal street racing/drag story.

Alanski
13-10-07, 09:29 PM
Sensationalism works for the media, it's how they get their ratings.

Our views may be the truth but I'm pretty damn sure it will be a bit too boring to hit the press.

I'm not keen on participating in the event that I end in the backdrop of yet another street hoon/illegal street racing/drag story.

ditto.

just go to orange grove kk jisac or whatever.

Pak
14-10-07, 12:58 AM
Hmm actually I saw this thread on ns.com and thought that if he was after a serious story JDMST might provide something a little more mature and substantial than Ns.com. Meh.

Babalouie
14-10-07, 01:20 AM
Well, here's a history lesson.

About 15 or so years ago, Today Tonight aired a story about hoons racing through the Sydney Harbour Tunnel at massive speeds. They had some footage of someone doing so, and beat it up into a "secret society" whereby a rite of passage was to beat 200clicks through the tunnel.

The story then cut to an interview of a few guys (well known in the Sydney scene at the time) and rather shockingly, the interview footage showed them admitting to the thrill of street racing.

The last part of the story cut to Eastern Creek, where driving instructor Ian Luff put a "hoon" through his paces, and there was much footage of Luff yelling at the guy and spinning out, the impression being that hoons aren't in control of their cars.

For the real version of what happened, check out this link below:

http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?t=96209&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

Those that are old enough may remember one of the first "riots" at a car hang out back in early 1994. Place in question was "Dino's diner" in Tempe. The riots became known as the "Tempe riots" & caused a stir around the country thanks to manipulated TV footage

I was there, I was defected. Tthey got my RX-3 for noise (surprise surprise) & watched the events unfold in front of my eyes.

It was the cops thats started the fighting when they took some Torana guy around the back & laid a few into him for not opening his bonnet. Some Lebo's spotted this & started pelting the Cops with rocks & bottles. After that, it was ON for everyone. Cops let the dogs go. Media had a feeding frenzy. It was mayhem

Over the next week or so, the TV stations force fed the Cops version of events down everyones throats & that pissed me off................

So I went to the TV stations wanting the square things up a little & talk them into looking at the other side of the coin if you know what I mean.

Gave CH-7 Today-Tonight some home made video's of cruising, car shows. Hang outs & general car stuff & info on the car scene to get them on-side.

My (unknown) mistake at the time was some Tunnel racing footage at the end of the tape that wasn't wiped off yet........... Doh!!

They interviewed myself & a mate asking general questions about cars & racing etc. They also asked me to cruise around town with them which included a run through the HB tunnel. They asked a few questions on it which l thought was "No big deal" as they said they where sticking to the original theme of the interview. So we talked about driving styles, track racing & even street racing. I was so nieve........

Mean time, another mate (Dean Evans) was out with Luff at Eastern Creek who had done a deal with Today Tonight to make him look stupid on the track. So they did some slalom work in the dry. Dean drove like a champ. Then they did slalom work in the wet & Dean still drove like a champ. Frustrated with no spinning out to catch on film, Luff finally pulled the hand brake on him mid corner & as expected, Dean spun out.

Poor editing from CH-7 allows you to glimpse Luff reaching for the hand brake before they show the car spinning if my memory serves me.

When the story came to air................ We where shocked. CH-7 screwed us hard.

They changed/edited answers to questions around so I was answering questions I was never asked. Showed none of the "good" stuff I gave them or talked about. They portrayed me as a wanker (not that the truth hurts!) Did the dirty on Deans driving with help from Luff & centred the whole issue on the Harbour tunnel. They even coined this "TTT" thing themselves. At all times, they where telling me it was about "My story" to give the other side. I was curious why they asked about the tunnel stuff but as it was minimal I didn't suspect. How dumb was I.

Well shit really hit the fan thanks to the sneaky way it was all done. The RTA charged me under section "10A" of the motor traffic act (Yes there is even a law for picking your nose) called "Unbecoming conduct of a driver"

Meaning, because I talked on TV about racing around, It was bad conduct. They wanted to cancel my license for 3-years thanks to Gov pressure. (It got quite political with the Gov involved) but I took it to court where the judge got to see the "raw footage" where I wasn't answering the questions they showed in the TV piece. So he practically threw out the Today Tonight version but did concentrate on the footage of Deans little Exa turbo hitting 180 that I filmed. (My video tape, my voice, I shot it they concluded) So I got pinned for that part & scored a 1-year loss of license.

With appeals & re-appeals, I was able to keep my license until 12 months went by where I finally dropped the appeals, gave the license into the RTA as per the judges directions & payed for a new one as the cancellation period had expired.

Now for the shame part.

I am a dickhead for being so dumb as to trust the Stan Grant crew & Today Tonight. Even though CH-7 dumped the show around 1 year later for too many scams (mine included) they re-started it after the heat died down & even to this day, the show is a still a scam.

Moral of the story is NEVER EVER TALK TO TV CREWS. THEY WILL LIE TO YOU & SCREW YOU OVER NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE TOLD.

So there you have it. I have let it out. Not a proud moment in my life as I like to think l am smart enough to use my head but in this case I was really dumb & paid the price...... Embarassed

Thankfully, I have learnt my lesson

To those getting all "High & mighty" on me. There is a little saying spoken a long time ago from the greatest man to ever walk the Earth. He said........ "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

Read into the above what you will.

wngo
14-10-07, 01:56 AM
they did the same about "racial gangs" with some footage of students from my school walking in a group and called them gang members that were up to no good. Even the teachers laughed when they watched it.

Pak
14-10-07, 02:01 AM
Lol nice read. Read the thread on ausrotary too :) Well I was barely 7 years old when the story got done so obviously no idea hehe.

jeffske
14-10-07, 02:11 AM
sif help tv crews get ratings by producing biased segments
as mentioned, just goto livo kk and interview some idiots there because even if u interview genuine car enthuiasts you're just going to turn it around to make us look like fools
lets hope these frags dont turn up to the EOMM or else we're royally screwed
"car park hoons terrorise locals" or someshit

RedMx
14-10-07, 02:42 AM
It's a bit of a shame that so many people in the public are ignorant of what really happens thanks to the media portraying car enthusiasts as "hoons" and taking things out of context.

I'm sure some people on this forum would like a fair go at letting the public know the truth so how about you agree to sign a contract stating that none of the questions and answers will be edited without prior approval from the person being interviewed??

Also when will this be aired? might be interested in watching it

DrewMan
14-10-07, 03:10 AM
A lot of the media IMO is sensationalised to give it that extra bit of zang. Today Tonight is no stranger to making a story worse than it seems.

As with most genres, as soon as one person/element is detected to be "bad", the entire group is labelled "bad" as well.

Theres a difference between car enthusiasts and hoons but unfortunately, a lot of the public seem to depict us as the same group. "You have a hotted up car so therefore you must drive like a wanker on the road".

Im glad that this site exists so we are able to express our collective thoughts and share our experiences.

jeffske
14-10-07, 11:03 AM
A lot of the media IMO is sensationalised to give it that extra bit of zang. Today Tonight is no stranger to making a story worse than it seems.

As with most genres, as soon as one person/element is detected to be "bad", the entire group is labelled "bad" as well.

Theres a difference between car enthusiasts and hoons but unfortunately, a lot of the public seem to depict us as the same group. "You have a hotted up car so therefore you must drive like a wanker on the road".

Im glad that this site exists so we are able to express our collective thoughts and share our experiences.

drewman you better not participate, they'd have a field day
"hoon cop filmed in secret drag meet" haha

JustinS14
14-10-07, 11:09 AM
I agree with what is said above.

But ii have seen this same post on a few froums, And you all know what will happen rices will want there cars on tv and will talk about how hektic they are and we all will be fucked.

ram
14-10-07, 12:14 PM
^ LOL so well put and so true

scathing
14-10-07, 12:15 PM
How did this thread manage to last nearly 24 hours without being torn to shreds?

Does that mean I have moderator permission to tell this guy what I really think?

I saw this thread on SAU, and there were quite a few people who took a bite at his bait. Naive, and completely unaware of history and how "current affairs" programs work, I'd guess.

I'm going to love hearing about Skyline hoons in the media again.

Babalouie
14-10-07, 12:15 PM
NO :)

scathing
14-10-07, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know if the "Dean Evans" mentioned in that ausrotary post is the same Dean Evans that writes for Motor Magazine (http://www.motormag.com.au/) (and is their "not-pro" gun driver), competes at various amateur level racing series', and won one of Top Gear's "best race track overtaking manouvres" ever (http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/070-greatest-overtaking-moves-ever/) commendations for his Elise launch at Bathurst (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gpZefXD-U9s)?

If its the same guy, then Luffy and TT just go to show how much of a **** the former is and the general lack of credibility the latter has.

Mike.V?!
14-10-07, 12:55 PM
Does that mean I have moderator permission to tell this guy what I really think?

Abso-fucking-lutely.

xero
14-10-07, 03:30 PM
go scathing go!!

i want them to try and edit your answers to make us sound bad..

minix3
14-10-07, 04:25 PM
go scathing go!!

i want them to try and edit your answers to make us sound bad..

X2.

*waits for alan to make witty remarks*

Babalouie
14-10-07, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know if the "Dean Evans" mentioned in that ausrotary post is the same Dean Evans that writes for Motor Magazine (http://www.motormag.com.au/) (and is their "not-pro" gun driver), competes at various amateur level racing series', and won one of Top Gear's "best race track overtaking manouvres" ever (http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/070-greatest-overtaking-moves-ever/) commendations for his Elise launch at Bathurst (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gpZefXD-U9s)?

If its the same guy, then Luffy and TT just go to show how much of a **** the former is and the general lack of credibility the latter has.

Yup...the very same Dean Evans, in the days before he became editor at Fast Fours. Good driver.

Shiri
14-10-07, 05:47 PM
Hooray for A Current Affair.. continually providing quality stories such as "Which meat product contains the least meat" or "My sister stole my house! And my HUSBAND!".

Why don't we just rebrand current affair programs to the magazine "That's life" and be done with it?

Sunday is no exception... I don't watch that crap anymore... never will again. They have continually embarrassed themselves and the nation with their stories that have been spun so much that they have flown off the planets axis and become fabrications of truth, or their money grabbing whore advertising in programs which just turns the show into a hour long commercial for crap no one needs. I'm sure you'll eventually appeal to the lowest common denominator in this mediocre attempt for a news story and get some schumck in a hotted up car to pose, make an idiot of himself and further demean the car enthusiast lifestyle.

Thanks for trying Jerome... but you are too late...

4agte
14-10-07, 06:04 PM
Hey All,

Need some help on a story I'm putting together for the SUNDAY Show on Channel Nine.

It's a story on the car scene in Sydney which looks at the culture of car enthusiast.

All the story's on the car scene have been pretty one sided and sensationalist and Im looking at doing something more in-depth.

Would really like some help and input in putting a story like this together.

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PM me or email me on [email protected]

Cheers,

Jerome

id really prefer it if the media kept their noses out of our business all the stories end up sensationalised and skewed.

when i hear this for some reason all i can think of is me saying what i think and believe and having my story chopped an edited to tie into something to do with street racing or talking on my mobile phone while driving or some shit like that

the media especially channel 9 and 7 have done nothing good for the car enthusiest scene to date why should we trust you now

Neilus
14-10-07, 06:13 PM
We hate you Jerome. We hate you from the bottom your hooves to the top of your pitchfork. We hate you, by God, we hate you good...

scathing
14-10-07, 10:10 PM
Yup...the very same Dean Evans, in the days before he became editor at Fast Fours. Good driver.

I've heard bad things about Luffy from a variety of sources, some of whom are more credible than others, but intentionally fucking the "reputation" of another up-and-coming racer for money (its not like ACA wouldn't have slipped Luffy some dollars or positive spin to do that deal), in clear contradition of the actual facts, is beyond the pale.

I hope Luffy gets into restoring classics and driving them in tarmac rallies. I'll make sure I hoist a lot of beers in his memory the day he puts it into a tree, so when I "break the seal" on his grave it'll be a flood.

Babalouie
14-10-07, 10:18 PM
Dean wasn't racing yet at that point, but just the same it was a pretty low thing that was done to him.

RINGERS23Q
14-10-07, 11:15 PM
The funny thing is that people will get in on this (if it's actually going ahead) just to get their cars/faces on tv, regardless of the history the media and car enthusiasts have. :rolleyes:

black200
15-10-07, 01:51 AM
i offered my opinion without being identified and no response

don't blame jerome, it is how the media works - ill give you my stand point. PM me

Justin Fox
15-10-07, 09:07 AM
Wait up isn't this something Lars and Nick are involved in too?

kula
15-10-07, 12:04 PM
Guys SUNDAY is a little different to ACA/TT, they quite often criticise other media outlets, including those on their own network.

everyone knows enthusiasts are misrepresented in the tabloid media, and I for one am annoyed a little by it.

FRpilot
15-10-07, 12:50 PM
is ray martin or bert newton hosting it?

Justin Fox
15-10-07, 01:01 PM
I've been speaking to a fair few people, from different forums, about this show. I've decided that JDMST is not to be a part of it at all only because I feel we're doing a great job as it is in educating people to not "hoon" on the streets.

In my opinion this show will do nothing for us, in fact it could make us look bad if it was to all go wrong. I'm not sure what other car clubs are going to be having their say on the show, but I'm not willing to have our good name mixed in with other clubs we do not know and trust.

If the segment is trying to convince people that people no longer "hoon" on the streets, then I believe it's not going to change their perceptions when they step outside and see someone doing a burnout off the lights. I assume a lot of people watching will mentally say "yeah right".

Without being too negative, it would be great if the show pulls it off, but I don't want JDMST to be a part of it unless perhaps it was a feature just JDMST and not other car clubs.

Justin Fox
15-10-07, 01:01 PM
PS: I feel they would be better off contacting Narada and doing something on Circuit Club days, that's where it's at.

Babalouie
15-10-07, 01:11 PM
I think that we are doing the right thing anyway, in that JDMST is doing what we can to fit in with the rest of the community, in that we discourage street racing, we encourage track driving and driver training, and we hold meets where any member of the public can come and be a part of it without there being any risk of illegal activity.

We shouldn't rely on media involvement to try to change public perception anyway.

rome
15-10-07, 03:22 PM
Dont blame you guys for not trusting the media.

There's been some shocking stories done in the past.

SUNDAY show is alot more in depth than ACA and TT shows though.

Check out www.sunday.com.au

I'm trying to show a more realistic picture of the car scene which I think is a far more interesting story.

Did you guys know that in the 70's car enthusiast worked alongside local state goverments to organise events etc (nowday its called cruises)

The scene has changed and this story looks at the evloution and the reasons behind it.

Its going to be quite a good story once its finished.

Justin Fox
15-10-07, 05:20 PM
It does sound good Jerome, I assume you have a passion for cars/car culture too. Let's speak on the phone.

scathing
15-10-07, 06:05 PM

I only have one question.

Given that this is a "chance to have our views heard", are you guys willing to put something in writing (and legally binding) that "we" be given the ability to view the piece before its released, and the right of veto if we don't feel that what is produced actually encompasses "our views", with clauses for punitive action should the show be aired without explicit approval?

Who "we" are is up for discussion, but it should be someone (or some people) who you are interviewing / featuring as a part of the "car enthusiast scene" and is therefore feeling misrepresented by current mainstream media.

Basically, I'm just asking if you and your producers are willing to put your money where your mouths are.

crusty
15-10-07, 08:50 PM
At the end of the day , no matter whats been said here , its up to his executive producer , ratings mean money , if the story is uninteresting to the majority, it wont air, but if sensationalised and controversial , it will gather ratings and create money- now seriously what do you think will happen - if he has easier picking ,naive participants , who will neck them selves publicly , let him have them , if they where so interested in the car seen they would see the guys from Autosalon , or summer nats - and sign contracts of disclosure not prositute car forums for the big story

rome
16-10-07, 12:58 PM
Ive got an interview with the editor of Auto Saloon lined up.....

Thanks for your help guys. I'll be in touch Justin.

JustinS14
16-10-07, 06:04 PM
Oh nooooooo........

minix3
16-10-07, 06:12 PM
Oh nooooooo........

X2

scathing
16-10-07, 07:32 PM
Basically, I'm just asking if you and your producers are willing to put your money where your mouths are.

So, any response to this Jerome?

Channel Nine's A Current Affair can't even keep their gutter journalism out of Australia's fashion darling (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22594772-5007132,00.html), who's enjoying little but overwhelmingly positive public endorsement, so if they can't even resist misrepresenting their story and sticking the boot into Megan Gale what chance does your typical "street racer" have of getting fair treatment?

scathing
16-10-07, 07:34 PM
Oh nooooooo........

Its cool. They'll at least get a good indication of where the "show" scene of car culture is today, which (unfortunately or otherwise) is the most popular facet. It'll be representative of the "vocal majority", at least.

MFN-MAN
16-10-07, 08:20 PM
Oh nooooooo........

Why oh no for?

Rotary_rockeT
16-10-07, 08:50 PM
he he so innocent :lol:

well . . . i don't watch t.v. anymore. my viewing pleasure comes from youtube. either that or im out driving so can't say if i give a dandelion about this :)

Marv
17-10-07, 02:04 PM

SUNDAY show is alot more in depth than ACA and TT shows though.

Check out www.sunday.com.au

I'm trying to show a more realistic picture of the car scene which I think is a far more interesting story.

Did you guys know that in the 70's car enthusiast worked alongside local state goverments to organise events etc (nowday its called cruises)

The scene has changed and this story looks at the evloution and the reasons behind it.

Its going to be quite a good story once its finished.

Well, what an interesting thread. From this post it seems that you've got a fair whack of learning to do about the 80+ year-old history of modified car culture. From guys like Vic Edelbrock Snr. in the 1930s hopping up their Flathead-powered Ts and As, the scene has spread to such an extent that there are so many sub-sub-sub categories that it would be impossible to give true representation to them all.

Just in the "late model turbo scene" there are drifters, drag racers, cruisers, show car-builders, touge-runners, sound-off/SQ guys. Then, add in the Aussie/American cars and the various themes that go along with them (JDM y0, Cali-style, etc). All of these guys do it for different reasons, in different ways, with different results, so how could you show them all in an honest, respectful way? Someone more eloquent than I once said, "modifying cars is an individual vision housed within a communal spirit", so painting a group of Skyline/Supra-owners as "modified car enthusiasts" isn't always going to sit well the good ol' boys with their '60s street machines, or even hot rodders (who have a traditional rivalry with street machiners/muscle car heads). We're all different tribes.

As for the Editor of Auto Salon going on TV: I hope that Charles explains in depth about the fashion of adding "expensive plastic" to cars to make them "JDM". ;)

Babalouie
17-10-07, 02:21 PM
You forgot to add VIP and bosozouku, Yankeestyle and Garuchan scenes Marv :)

Marv
17-10-07, 02:35 PM
RetroTech, pro street, rat rod, trad rod, street rod, hot rod, lakester, kustom, mini truck, sport truck, gasser, fuel coupe, pony car, muscle car, pro touring, "high zoot rod", G-machine and the list goes on and on and on...

Levos1
17-10-07, 05:08 PM
Wait up isn't this something Lars and Nick are involved in too?

Yeah Justin this is what I was talking about!
Jerome is a good dude and has been researching this for a while. I beleive that he has it in out best interests to portray what we do in a different light, a better light.

This is why i suggested to him that JDM might be a good place to look. I didnt expect that people would be so harsh.....
It seems to me like a really good opportunity?!

scathing
17-10-07, 05:14 PM
If he's on the level its a great opportunity. But the prior conduct of Channel Nine's Current Affairs shows don't inspire confidence.

He still hasn't gotten back to us on whether he's willing to back up his promises with something in writing that's legally binding that the piece he's ding will be, if not positive, at least "fair" towards car and driving enthusiasts.

Current affairs journos, like politicians, promise a slice of heaven but deliver something far more sulphuric.

Levos1
17-10-07, 05:33 PM
Yeah Alan I knwo what you mean....... I feel that same! Thats why its a bit sad that it has been posted around the place as of late....... would have been better to have it a bit more of an invite only type thing to avoid bad behaviour.........!

JustinS14
17-10-07, 07:42 PM
Why bad behaviour we haven told any one to fuck off yet have we??? so yeah no bad behaviour, just cause some of us know what will happen, they wont make "the car sence" look nice anf fun cause that wont rate, Show some cars in oz then show some video in japan and say its old pac now that will rate.

speedracr
17-10-07, 08:37 PM
As for the Editor of Auto Salon going on TV: I hope that Charles explains in depth about the fashion of adding "expensive plastic" to cars to make them "JDM". ;)

*shudders* I think what exactly Cisco said was "uh... uh... very... uh... expensive plastic"

Jerome I still haven't received that email with info you said you sent?

Levos1
18-10-07, 10:21 AM
Why bad behaviour we haven told any one to fuck off yet have we??? so yeah no bad behaviour, just cause some of us know what will happen, they wont make "the car sence" look nice anf fun cause that wont rate, Show some cars in oz then show some video in japan and say its old pac now that will rate.

Are you trying to be funny dude? I dont get it??

We hate you Jerome. We hate you from the bottom your hooves to the top of your pitchfork. We hate you, by God, we hate you good...

And I wouldnt have neccissarily seen this as a welcome with open arms?? Even if he is trying to be funny?

MFN-MAN
18-10-07, 12:14 PM
I believe what we're experiencing here is the struggle...the fight if you will between those who are looking to improve the scene and allow the community the opportunity to understand the car enthusiast for what we really are...and those that have given up on the community and their fellow enthusiast and would prefer to keep the scene underground and undisturbed.

Both very naive views (naive in that peace and/or freedom can ever be fully attainable) but both carry very valid points as well. Another one of those topics where people could rant and rave forever, but at the end of the day we're still stuck with the same problem.

Having our side of the story is all well and good...but what exactly do we want to tell the viewing public? Will they understand? How could this positively/negatively affect us. Yes, groups like circuit club might raise our profile and show that there are some of us doing the right thing, but as soon as a kid does a burnout or crashes into a tree, all that hardwork, goes right out the window.

I'm not saying we shouldnt try, but i just think we need to convince ourselves (i.e. the car community) of our ideals before we start preaching our case to the rest of the world...

PS. yes i do realise i'm probably contradicting myself and that I do hold a naive point of view...i'm sure one of the word smiths here will rip my post to bits and tell me how wrong I am and that i'm probably homosexual and that the plane doesn't take off, but tell me i'm wrong in that we need to believe in what we say before we start telling the world about what we do!

Levos1
18-10-07, 12:25 PM
Muffin relax.....You have to love yourself before you can love anyone else!

MFN-MAN
18-10-07, 12:31 PM
dont worry nick...i love myself every moment i get the chance too hehehe

just providing a little food for thought. I'm more than willing to help out when someone is trying to improve something...just would hate to see your work outdone by some lil runt in an excel (pardon the cliche)

JustinS14
18-10-07, 07:31 PM
thats what TT or ACA (cant remember what one) did at the begineing of this year.

(Originally Posted by Neilus
We hate you Jerome. We hate you from the bottom your hooves to the top of your pitchfork. We hate you, by God, we hate you good...)

And I wouldnt have neccissarily seen this as a welcome with open arms?? Even if he is trying to be funny? Maybe Nelilus wasnt welcomeing him with open arms??? :P

Neilus
18-10-07, 07:52 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the mainstream media at the best of times but as a general rule i detest current affair shows. They haphazardly fabricate whatever stories will rile up the morons who's lives are so empty that they watch current affair shows with no regard for fact whatsoever.

These shows have produced some completely abhorrent stories about car culture in recent years and as such, i don't expect Jerome to be welcomed here with open arms. He may or may not be a nice guy but he's chosen to be part of a system that's royally screwed us (and so many others) with hack reporting over the years.

I'm confident that Justin Fox knows what he's doing public relations wise so for the time being we won't be made to look like complete dregs but what I'm worried about is one or two people blindly welcoming Channel Nine to a meet up with open arms to get your stories heard. Then it''ll only take one pillock doing a burnout out of a fascination meet and we'll be back to where we started.

rusty1
18-10-07, 10:45 PM
So whats the answer? how do we legitimise our passion to "Joe Public" and the authorities if we cry wolf every time a media representative attempts to enter our domain. I agree the media has generalised in its coverage of the car scene but an opportunity to reverse the trend should be given some latitude.We need to find a starting point, other wise we will remain stereotyped :neutral:

4agte
18-10-07, 10:51 PM
id rather take the risk of being sterotyped than take the risk of being made to look like an absolute tool

Neilus
19-10-07, 04:38 AM
We don't need to legitamise our culture to the public. If the media stopped portraying us as child molesters then the morons sitting on their couches and shaking their fists at the tv will move on and find something else completely mundane to be horrified about.

Stop throwing fuel on the fire and let the filth at Channel 9 ruin someone else's reputation.

machalel
19-10-07, 01:14 PM
I think that as long as people in the government/police/media/social groups keep up the "modified cars are bad...mmmmkay?" attitude, then whatever people do to try to improve the situation will mostly be taken in the wrong light. At the same time, the only way to change peoples perceptions, is to get out there and explain yourself, and get them to understand what you are doing, and why you are doing it.

People fear the unknown, and most "joe average" people don't understand the culture behind car modification and and enthusiasts.

Unfortunately it is something that I don't think will ever change to be completely acceptable and normal, as there are always people willing to push the boundries, and have a negative impact on peoples lives and on society in general...

Justin Fox
19-10-07, 05:01 PM
Yup, the concerns in the posts above are mine too.

I'm not one to be negative but I've been burnt badly by the media before, namely the Sydney Morning Herald. They say any press is good press, but in my opinion I'd rather not have been burnt. It was downright embarassing.

Whilst Jerome might have the best intentions here I'm still afraid of more harm then good but of-course I wish Jerome and his article all the best!

Levos1
19-10-07, 05:45 PM
Have I ever met you Nelius??

Also....... Everyone is talking like people are going to stuff up and act like idiots. So far every JDM meet I have been to have been controlled extrememly well and frequented by sensible friendly people.
This is why I thought it would be a good idea.......... In my opinon this is an environment that would have changed the general population "shaking their fists at the screens" view that we are not all youths.

Oh well............

Justin Fox
19-10-07, 05:57 PM
Nick, you used the word "controlled". I'm 100% sure that I was not in control of the 300+ cars (ie: over 400+ people) that turned up to the Reading Cinemas JDMST meet. In fact I was packing it, so too the 5 security guards. Consider ourselves lucky that nothing bad happened and that everyone behaved. What looked even worse was 80% of the cars leaving because the Police came, that surely did more damage than good to how people percieve us.

It's cool Nick, no matter how great the SUNDAY SHOW is, I doubt it's going to single handedly change anything for us, having said that I do hope it does more good than bad.

Sicarius123
20-10-07, 10:44 AM
Bahaha, this thread delivers!

Honestly though I'd be interested in being involved if the producers were willing to sign a legal document guarunteeing damages paid if the show mis-represents the segment into another hoon bashing peice of garbage.

If you're interested pm me, I've put a lot of time and money into my car, and I don't think you'll find too many street legal 600hp cars with everything re-engineered to be completely road legal (within the ACT, some things might not meet NSW like pod filter and blow off valve, but being registered in ACT that isn't a worry for me, and these are far from dangerous modifications).

Dan.

Quacker
20-10-07, 12:23 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/federalelection2007news/pm-calls-tune-on-stopping-hoons/2007/10/19/1192301045585.html

more media bias?
now Howard is getting in on the act

MFN-MAN
20-10-07, 04:54 PM
and these are far from dangerous modifications.

What you and the public perceive as dangerous is completely different...regardless if they know what each mod is and does and whether or not it is actually safe...

Sicarius123
20-10-07, 05:09 PM
Yea well the ACT motor registry deem them as safe, as does my engineer, so in all honesty, the RTA can get stuffed :p

I've had NSW Police try and defect me to zero success before, ends up with me driving away with a smile on my face and them absolutely fuming ready to defect the hell out of the next NSW plated modifier that drives past them.

Dan.

jeffske
20-10-07, 05:47 PM
im sure if jerome was one of the chaser boys we'd all be jumping to get interviewed/mocked
damn i love those guys

scathing
20-10-07, 06:20 PM
Honestly though I'd be interested in being involved if the producers were willing to sign a legal document guarunteeing damages paid if the show mis-represents the segment into another hoon bashing peice of garbage.

As would I.

Notice that Jerome has not replied to my repeated calls asking for the right to veto the article, though? He talks the talk, but he can't walk the walk.

For anyone that agreed to this scheme, just bear it in mind that he doesn't have the courage of his convictions when it comes to presenting "your side" of the story.

RedMx
21-10-07, 03:25 AM
thats what TT or ACA (cant remember what one) did at the begineing of this year.

(Originally Posted by Neilus
We hate you Jerome. We hate you from the bottom your hooves to the top of your pitchfork. We hate you, by God, we hate you good...)
Maybe Nelilus wasnt welcomeing him with open arms??? :P

I remember this, they found a video youtube i think it was "Mazda RX7 Vs. Nissan Skyline GT Street Drift Race" the comment on the video said "Mr RX7 and Alex "Big A"s Skyline duke it out in the Hills of Adelaide", the current affairs programs got it and made up a big storey. Video is supposed to be from japan

scathing
21-10-07, 03:41 AM
Not "supposed to be". It is.

Sicarius123
21-10-07, 11:34 AM
I thought that was hillarious when the RX7 club baited the current affairs programs into that.

Dan.

J
21-10-07, 01:00 PM

And I wouldnt have neccissarily seen this as a welcome with open arms?? Even if he is trying to be funny?

no dude, hes not trying to be funny, if you had been watching media events in the past surrounding the culture, you would know about the video in Japan being shown, then some aussie cars, then the popo idiots saying "we will find these people" etc...

Levos1
26-10-07, 11:08 AM
I know about the past........ But I cant say if Jerome, or the Sunday show will turn this around to make us look like "youths" again. And I know that one show isnt going to change the world......
But he is trying to make a change and explain our side of the story.. and you guys are giving him a big f*&k you!
And then continue complaining about the way people with modified cars are being treated.......!?!
Maybe Drewman could get in on it too??

scathing
27-10-07, 03:41 PM
But he is trying to make a change and explain our side of the story.. and you guys are giving him a big f*&k you!

Hey Nick.

I'm not telling him to get stuffed. If he's genuine, I'd accept his offer gratefully.

But, having seen other people been burnt in the past and with mainstream media (especially the organisation he works for) twist interviews and misrepresent people, its understandable that a lot of us are a bit wary of such an offer.

He says he knows that we're being misrepresented and wants to offer us a chance to address the imbalance, but someone that insightful should also realise how wary the less foolish of us are. Not all of us are blinded by the fact that we can get on TV to wonder what our debut would be like....

The fact that he's said nothing when it comes to offering guarantees to convey the image he asserts he's going to convey is not heartening. He talks big about giving us a chance to air "our views", but when it comes time to deliver he's been rather silent.

Sicarius123
27-10-07, 03:48 PM
Exactly, as said before, if he's happy to present me with a legally binding document guarunteeing the story wont be corrupted I'd be more than happy to be used on a show like this.

Thinking about it though I'd also like guaruntee that any footage would not be used as file footage for other shows at a later date, like when the news or today tonight pull old file footage when talking about the latest hoon activity.

Dan.