PDA

View Full Version : How do you consider yourself as a driver?

maykosilvia
06-05-13, 10:07 PM
Would you call yourself a good driver, or would you say you're always learning new ways to drive, finding new edges to meet, or even extend?

Do you find driving is a good a way to learn about yourself?

Talent
06-05-13, 10:13 PM
I think I'm better than most of the population, but just because you're better, doesn't mean you're good. I realise that I still have a shitload left to learn & every day I try practise to become better. Whether that be braking technique or just holding a line, I try become better every day & I think staying humble in the seat goes a long way & paves the way for more learning! In terms of learning about yourself, I honestly feel that driving is a part of my essence, it stems from certain personality traits I have. I wouldn't say I learn more about myself, but I would say it defines/sharpens parts of myself, if that makes sense lol

:)

cceebz
06-05-13, 10:42 PM
It's hard to stay humble when majority of the population drive like it's the first time they've ever driven a car - specifically those who take their sweet time when they're at the front of the lights and especially spastics who drive under the limit.

Talent
06-05-13, 11:11 PM
It's hard to stay humble when majority of the population drive like it's the first time they've ever driven a car - specifically those who take their sweet time when they're at the front of the lights and especially spastics who drive under the limit.
mmmm I get what you mean, but watching other drivers on youtube honestly keeps me humble behind the wheel lol. Especially some of the japanese drivers like Orido. Oh that & locking up whilst heading towards a metal barricaded corner at 100km/h - that helps lol.

Brains
06-05-13, 11:45 PM
i think i suck in my new car, has over double the amount of power than any car ive owned previously and AWD is a totally different beast, it scares the shit out of me at the moment so im taking it slow and getting used to it.

cant wait to get on the track and see how it really acts at the limits

wanna.spoon
06-05-13, 11:51 PM
Flat out honest... I fucking suck at driving... I've had a lot of accidents (thankfully none in my car) try to take extra care when driving mine...

I've also almost lost my licence once from loss of points (1 point for 12 months sucks balls), not an experience I am going to repeat, ever again! (I'll take the 3 month suspension next time, but it will NEVER! happen again)

Drifter995
07-05-13, 03:09 AM
I wouldn't ever say I'm the best driver out there, but I wouldn't say I'm the worst either. I have a shiteload left to learn. Lots more cars to experience, lots more techniques to learn, etc. I've only had one major crash, thank fuck. Lost my license for 3 months (figured the 3 months was better than 12 months on 1 point. The 3 months fucking sucked, but at least I had full points when I got it back. Haven't lost any points since, though.
Since I'm currently driving a car that I'm 99% certain has less horsepower than any of the other cars on here (Obviously ones that can actually produce horsepower >.>) When this one gets more power, and/or when I get a car with more horsepower for the daily, I can see myself having to relearn how to drive that beast, and get used to it. Pretty used to the ve Sportwagen, and the prado... But not as used to them as my car.

But all in all, still have a long way to go

DakDak
07-05-13, 10:54 AM
Yesterday I almost died.

On the Cumberland Hwy turning right down St Johns Rd towards Cabramatta. Light turns green and this dumb prick in a green landcruiser thing runs the red at 40-50km. Almost T bones a gold CRV going straight. Lucky I lagged my take off. If I was 3 m infront would of copped a bullbar to the neck.

I slam the brake and hold the horn at him. I was some old asian man. He reverses out meekly. I wind my window down stick my finger up high and yell "ITS ALL YOUR FUCKING FAULT EVERYONE THINKS ASIANS ARE SHIT DRIVERS!"

I'm asian myself.

There should be less bullshit 150hrs practice on your L's and more complex scenarios to test cognitive ability and reflexes. Hand eye competency.
I reckon there should also be a height restriction on 4wd. If your too short your not allowed a tall car that you cant see over the steering wheel.

fe555
07-05-13, 10:59 AM
fine driver

it's everyone else that sucks

clutch-monkey
07-05-13, 11:08 AM
i'm pretty fucking good

JDM-20L
07-05-13, 11:43 AM
here's the deal, I'm the best there is, plain and simple, I mean I wake up every morning and I piss excellence

G54B
07-05-13, 04:26 PM
I'm ok, not superfantastic, but not bad either.

daevilone
07-05-13, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty good. well above average... but no where near the best.

slo-rida
07-05-13, 06:40 PM
Yesterday I almost died.

On the Cumberland Hwy turning right down St Johns Rd towards Cabramatta. Light turns green and this dumb prick in a green landcruiser thing runs the red at 40-50km. Almost T bones a gold CRV going straight. Lucky I lagged my take off. If I was 3 m infront would of copped a bullbar to the neck.

I slam the brake and hold the horn at him. I was some old asian man. He reverses out meekly. I wind my window down stick my finger up high and yell "ITS ALL YOUR FUCKING FAULT EVERYONE THINKS ASIANS ARE SHIT DRIVERS!"

I'm asian myself.

There should be less bullshit 150hrs practice on your L's and more complex scenarios to test cognitive ability and reflexes. Hand eye competency.
I reckon there should also be a height restriction on 4wd. If your too short your not allowed a tall car that you cant see over the steering wheel.

had this happen to me TWICE last week.

i take off pretty slow if im not in a rush or woulda been fukin dead. scary shit people not paying attention. t-boned = laters... no side airbags or nothin

lockieoc
07-05-13, 08:42 PM
I take driving seriously. I love driving and have a continuous desire to learn more. I maintain a healthy fear with driving and never get to cocky. This is what makes me a good driver and separates me from the brain dead fucktards on the road.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

mrobbo15
07-05-13, 09:21 PM
I like to think I'm a good driver. It felt pretty good coming off my P's in February and not losing any demerits or ever being fined for anything other than expired parking tickets. Never had a crash. And I speed... frequently, whenever the road is empty and I feel like taking a racing line at pace. I suppose I just speed at the right time, and responsibly (if there is such a thing)

It really shows when I'm passenger in a friend's car and they're constantly having near misses with other cars, breaking road rules, mis-shifting, just generally not seeming like they have control of their car and disregarding anybody's safety. It terrifies me.

Glocker
07-05-13, 09:43 PM
i am ricky bobby good. shake and bake baby

Drifter995
07-05-13, 09:47 PM
I like to think I'm a good driver. It felt pretty good coming off my P's in February and not losing any demerits or ever being fined for anything other than expired parking tickets. Never had a crash. And I speed... frequently, whenever the road is empty and I feel like taking a racing line at pace. I suppose I just speed at the right time, and responsibly (if there is such a thing)

It really shows when I'm passenger in a friend's car and they're constantly having near misses with other cars, breaking road rules, mis-shifting, just generally not seeming like they have control of their car and disregarding anybody's safety. It terrifies me.

To go on a similar thing to you, I speed along the back roads to my house... Only when it's dark and nobody else is out, though. So, whenever I go out during the day time, and have to stick to the 70km/h speed limit, it feels slow, and I can react a lot faster (or so I feel)

Veafo.
07-05-13, 11:48 PM
I'm a shit driver by my own views, but still beyond most average drivers.
I think admitting that I'm a bad driver is what helps me improve my driving. Too many people are caught up in this "I'm a good driver" "I've got 40 years experience" BS.

aggro crag
08-05-13, 12:45 AM
Most of my friends say I am a pretty impressive driver, but I have yet to compete on a circuit so I can't say I've been tested.

DakDak
08-05-13, 08:07 AM

i take off pretty slow if im not in a rush or woulda been fukin dead. scary shit people not paying attention. t-boned = laters... no side airbags or nothin

Scary stuff. My S15 structurally isn't a match for a 2 T bull bar equipped vehicle. Fucking Cabra/Canley. Where you from bud?

I take driving seriously. I love driving and have a continuous desire to learn more. I maintain a healthy fear with driving and never get to cocky. This is what makes me a good driver and separates me from the brain dead fucktards on the road.

Yea fear can actually be a good thing. My fear of crashing and fixing my car / hurting someone else overrides all forms of peer pressure and my ego.

To go on a similar thing to you, I speed along the back roads to my house... Only when it's dark and nobody else is out, though. So, whenever I go out during the day time, and have to stick to the 70km/h speed limit, it feels slow, and I can react a lot faster (or so I feel)

^ Same. Only time I do anything is when its me solo and no people about.

slo-rida
08-05-13, 08:18 AM
Scary stuff. My S15 structurally isn't a match for a 2 T bull bar equipped vehicle. Fucking Cabra/Canley. Where you from bud?

Pretty much the melbourne equivalent of cabra/canley :P if i want to write off my car, it isn't hard LOL just drive normally and don't try to dodge anyone, someone will swerve or turn into you.

when there's two lanes turning... why is it so difficult to stay in your own lane

big fat paulie
08-05-13, 08:48 AM
I have done a lot of racing over the past 20 odd years to say I am pretty fucking good.
But I am never comfortable on the road. And the second you are comfortable is when you get lazy and you have an accident.

I have been driving with mates and they wonder why I am slower than them through old pac or natio. Yet 2-3 seconds quicker than them at Wakefield. I just never feel comfortable or safe enough to do stuff like that on the street. There is no margin for error going that fast on the street, and I'm not prepared to take that risk.

G54B
08-05-13, 09:15 AM

Not always. Really depends on where the other vehicle hits you, among other things.
I got t-boned by a bus doing roughly 70km/h in a 1990 model Nissan Nomad van, no airbags at all, let alone side ones, and I'm still here. Luckily there was nobody in the front passenger seat, they'd have been fucked. Hit front left, spun the van 180, came within a bee's dick of tipping it over. Came to rest about a foot off the gutter.
That said, I did cop a couple fractured ribs, severe bruising to my left hip, thigh and knee where the centre console smashed into it, more bruising to my right shoulder and arm from smashing into the window and door, got cut up by flying glass, but nothing too serious.

bluesprinter
08-05-13, 09:33 AM
I went to the RTA in my race suit and helmet, they said i didn't even need to bother with the L's test and gave me my fulls at age 14.

Mokey Nagata
08-05-13, 09:41 AM
Unless you're improving or want to improve then you cannot be a good driver
That's not to say that someone who is improving is always a good driver, but it's better than the ones who think they know everything

DakDak
08-05-13, 12:34 PM
I went to the RTA in my race suit and helmet, they said i didn't even need to bother with the L's test and gave me my fulls at age 14.

LOLOL My cousin when he was 14 asked me how to get his L's.

I told him he needs to do some driving lessons, then bring your birth certificate and helmet to the RTA.

"Why do I need a helmet?" he asks

"Because you need to win 3 races in a RTA instructors car and they dont supply helmets"

Believed the whole thing. Until he actually went for them.

Kin
08-05-13, 01:04 PM
I havent successfully double clutched like I should. Therefore I'm a pretty poor driver.

TRPLSX180
08-05-13, 01:13 PM
im a confident driver and what i mean by that is, i dont have any hesitations and driving in sydney doesnt faze me even though im the coast..
but i wouldnt say that makes me a great driver. i can control my car in circumstances where my car was to lose control etc.

im abover average but wouldnt say im great :)

mrobbo15
08-05-13, 02:15 PM

Exactly. Difference between me and my mates: They speed regularly, in traffic, for the sake of speeding. Bad drivers.

I just never feel comfortable or safe enough to do stuff like that on the street. There is no margin for error going that fast on the street, and I'm not prepared to take that risk.

This. There's a point where driving fast on the street just becomes stupid, and where no matter how good a driver you are you are still in immense danger of losing control due to unforeseeable events.

My pop drove trucks delivering food since he was 12 in a small town where everybody knew everybody. When it came time for his license it was given to him just the same.

darksky34
08-05-13, 02:55 PM
bad drivers never learn from their mistakes...case in point while im giving a lift to my mate who has copped a 3month suspension, he tries to show me stuff on his phone - while i'm driving. multiple times (not in the one trip).

also tells me stories of how he's done this or that and inside i'm thinking "how do you actually still have a licence". he thinks rules are just not applicable.

OVTEC
08-05-13, 03:34 PM
I am the record holder at Villawood go karts.

Beat that.

Chewbacca
08-05-13, 04:34 PM
I reckon once you've gone gutter to gutter in a school zone whilst copping a blowy and then snapping the next gear and dropping your whole load in her throat at the same time, you're a pretty good driver.

If you've done the same whilst finger bashing then you're like the sequels to the godfather, ok, not great.

JDMChick
08-05-13, 07:08 PM
I'm a bit less than a year away from my P's but I guess I can still answer this, right? Haha. I've always had a passion for driving so I picked up driving mum's auto really quickly, within two half an hour lessons I was driving in peak hour traffic. I've also had my manual for about 2 months now and I picked that up within 3 or so weeks, although I'm still very cautious on hills that I don't roll back (instead I rev it like sh*t to save myself from going back).
I have a heavy foot when I drive but I'm cautious and courteous to other drivers, with plenty of room to improve, especially considering I have only been driving for over a year. I think I'm making good progress though.

George.
08-05-13, 08:16 PM
I'm alright. I try not to miss 3rd

hollywood89
08-05-13, 08:45 PM
i think im a decent driver...there are plenty better than me on the road probably always will be...ive had alot more road time than most people generally...been suspended, pulled over by hwp, victim of road rage, victim of chinese dude running red light in a van with a bull bar - hitting drivers side...i'll be honest and say what the ambo's said to me - im lucky to be here alive and without much injury to show...

decent implying...obeying the rules in most cases...maintaining safety of all in my vehicle and around me comes first if i can control that much ive done my duty as a road user...i have no right to impact anothers well being caused by silly actions...

im a novice on the track though...im trying to focus on more track days this year and in 2014...last time i was on track i learnt alot about my vehicle...and want to continue to do so in my new vehicle aquired since then...

we are all constantly learning things about driving and life...the only difference between all of us is our experiences on the roads or not...good or bad, and our attitudes toward driving and life as a hole reflects how we are percieved or are on the road

TomThePanssy
08-05-13, 09:03 PM
i think im a decent driver

mig
08-05-13, 09:13 PM
My insurance excess has been 1700 for a while. So having that in the back of your mind every day does make you focus a lot more...of course I don't want to crash into someone or something

I dont drive like a nanny either. Just go with the flow and don't be an obstruction on the road..

That's how I stay out of trouble.

_Wing_
09-05-13, 10:31 AM
NRMA did a survey and the majority of people rated themselves above average.

philz
09-05-13, 10:40 AM
There's a guy with a autech s15, I heard he's pretty good.

Glocker
09-05-13, 12:26 PM
Anyone slower than me is retard anyone faster is a maniac

wanna.spoon
09-05-13, 05:12 PM
I am the record holder at Villawood go karts.

Beat that.

:lol:

how many times did you wipe it out in the tyre barriers, or, get yellow flagged for dangerous driving before you got that crown

honestly ace karts in Melbourne, I've seen 13 year olds get into the low 37's... (the record is mid 36's...) does that make them a good driver... fair effort but...

mig
09-05-13, 07:34 PM
Anyone slower than me is retard anyone faster is a maniac

Everyone will always drive at different speeds. Your lane position on a multilane road important. Basically drive on the left and pass on the right.

OVTEC
10-05-13, 09:45 AM
:lol:

how many times did you wipe it out in the tyre barriers, or, get yellow flagged for dangerous driving before you got that crown

honestly ace karts in Melbourne, I've seen 13 year olds get into the low 37's... (the record is mid 36's...) does that make them a good driver... fair effort but...

It says how do 'you' consider yourself as a good driver so anything goes really. LOL

Got that record on the 1st or 2nd session. No crashes :P

bluesprinter
10-05-13, 10:07 AM
clocked a 52 sec on Tsukuba Circuit in GT5, i can also link the whole track drifting in my FT86 concept, in case you didnt know im pretty fucking amazing.

Kyon
10-05-13, 10:30 AM
0 Accidents ever since I started driving (~10 years ago) Have never ran into anything or been hit by anyone.

wanna.spoon
10-05-13, 01:35 PM
It says how do 'you' consider yourself as a good driver so anything goes really. LOL

Got that record on the 1st or 2nd session. No crashes :P

I got into the mid to high 38's at the go kart place in Melbourne, not bad from an overweight gentlemen IMO ... foot planted on the throttle all the time... usually spin out every session, don't have foot even near the brake pedal, when I spin out it looks really violent (Because I don't even consider using the brake)... get instantly warned, one time I almost got kicked off because I almost KO'd one of my mates spinning out :lol:

When its rained, fuck lap times... sideways every corner!!!

JezHR31
10-05-13, 08:49 PM
I think I'm pretty competent in a RWD car. Can feel when the tyres are about to let go in a straight line or bend and when they do counter. A mate and myself used to go around empty industrial areas at night when it had rained and learn what a car does when you push it. Although, I have yet to drive a quick fwd or an evo/wrx so that's completely new to me.

Daily driving I find myself watching for retards on the road mostly. People that sit in your blind spot for 5kms, people doing a dance on their brake pedal in a 80-100 zone. Idiots who hit vtec beside me in 1st constantly. Women putting make up whilst driving. Being aware that my car is going to pull up a lot better than the car behind me if I have to slam the brakes on.

That said, you never stop learning. You'll look back a year ahead and think, I'm way better than I was then.

Cess
11-05-13, 05:34 PM
I'm entirely incompetent in a rwd. Didn't push the S2k when I had it as I knew my limitations. Unfortunately, with the S15 the temptation is always there; the talent isn't.

Felt far more confident driving hard when I had the GT4 or Evo VI, but 4wd does that. Just feels more secure.

Boogs
11-05-13, 09:31 PM
Im perfect... I have to be, its part of my job.

aggro crag
11-05-13, 09:34 PM
0 Accidents ever since I started driving (~10 years ago) Have never ran into anything or been hit by anyone.

no offense, but you either drive exceptionally slow, or are exceptionally lucky. because stuff happens and sometimes people crash into you.

Mokey Nagata
11-05-13, 11:03 PM
Had my first go at sliding tonight.
I guess I'm alright given that it was a first go, and the car I tried it in is shit for it, and the place was terrible.
It was good fun though.
I need a RWD....

unl3a5h
12-05-13, 12:28 AM
just got off my p's and bought a 250rwkw s15 and realised i dont take very big risks but have long to learn.

Kyon
12-05-13, 03:21 PM
no offense, but you either drive exceptionally slow, or are exceptionally lucky. because stuff happens and sometimes people crash into you.

Sorry but that's definitely not true at all - there is always something you can do to avoid an accident. Especially on a bike it doesn't matter who's fault it is- if you're involved in an accident chances are you'll be the one going to Hospital.

You either put yourself in a bad spot, or you weren't paying attention. All of which is avoidable.

tarmac
12-05-13, 03:42 PM
I agree, its all to do with defensive driving and paying attention on the road. I've avoided quite a few potential accidents myself because I always try to put myself in a position on the road which allows me to turn away from a potential collision if it comes to that.

aggro crag
13-05-13, 12:45 AM
fair enough, after i posted I thought I should have said exceptionally cautious instead of slow.

Prancer
13-05-13, 02:01 PM
would be good if someone crashes into type x, insured for 15k

Paoooul
13-05-13, 06:16 PM
Sorry but that's definitely not true at all - there is always something you can do to avoid an accident. Especially on a bike it doesn't matter who's fault it is- if you're involved in an accident chances are you'll be the one going to Hospital.

You either put yourself in a bad spot, or you weren't paying attention. All of which is avoidable.

I was stopped, focusing on the heavy turning traffic ahead of me at a "Turn left at any time with care" sign and I watched someone (while checking rear view mirror briefly) run into the rear of my car at somewhere between 80-100km/h. Could you please explain how that was avoidable?

Please enlighten me oh holy one, doer of no wrongs, avoider of accidents.

lockieoc
13-05-13, 08:12 PM
Kyon, How's being run up the arse while sitting in traffic avoidable? Staying home perhaps? Or maybe just catching public transport?...

tarmac
13-05-13, 09:49 PM
I think what the guy meant to say was, you can decrease your chances of getting into an accident.

Obviously there are instances you can't avoid, you guys take it to literally here.

Talent
14-05-13, 12:58 AM
I think what the guy meant to say was, you can decrease your chances of getting into an accident.

Obviously there are instances you can't avoid, you guys take it to literally here.
& you don't take it literally enough - too* :P

Paoooul
14-05-13, 12:23 PM

No I read english.. If he says "every accident is avoidable" one would think every accident is avoidable. Shouldn't take the fact that I'm not a stone cold retard to figure that out about his post. If he thought "most" accidents or "any" accidents were avoidable, I'd assume he would use those words.

nerd

Kyon
14-05-13, 12:42 PM
I was stopped, focusing on the heavy turning traffic ahead of me at a "Turn left at any time with care" sign and I watched someone (while checking rear view mirror briefly) run into the rear of my car at somewhere between 80-100km/h. Could you please explain how that was avoidable?

Please enlighten me oh holy one, doer of no wrongs, avoider of accidents.

Kyon, How's being run up the arse while sitting in traffic avoidable? Staying home perhaps? Or maybe just catching public transport?...

If you don't notice someone barreling towards you that fast then you're clearly not paying attention. If the car behind me looks like it's coming in too fast then I'll always start tapping my brakes (and flashing my brake lights as a result) until they noticeably start slowing down.

I should rephrase what I said to "there is almost always something you can do to avoid an accident". If you're in the middle of a 5 car pileup in the middle of traffic then there's nothing you could really do.

That said hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure that most people realise something they could've done differently in order to prevent/avoid an accident when they look back on it.

Some videos for good measure:

FyG_fGpNgmU
0zY99HOziTE

Paoooul
14-05-13, 12:51 PM
If you don't notice someone barreling towards you that fast then you're clearly not paying attention. If the car behind me looks like it's coming in too fast then I'll always start tapping my brakes (and flashing my brake lights as a result) until they noticeably start slowing down.

Some videos for good measure:

FyG_fGpNgmU
0zY99HOziTE

The person was doing their make up in the rear view mirror, the area is on a bend and drop. At that speed, around a bend, in a 60km/h area (which has just come down from 80 km/h) there is absolutely nothing you can do. If you need me to show you a map and diagram I guess I can sort something out, but seeing as you have (somehow) had the ability to create a forum account, I'll give in to the chance that you can actually figure this one out for yourself.

Unless you just know you're wrong and don't want to own up to it, which is fine, but just leave through the door to the left instead of digging a whole of stupidity.

Not all accidents are avoidable and it's simple as that.

mrobbo15
14-05-13, 01:16 PM
I'm kind of on Kyon's side here...

Mostly because the kind of people who usually preach that accidents are unavoidable are the ones always putting themselves in dangerous positions by braking late, not checking before entering a roundabout etc.
That's not to say it's their fault - it takes two to tango.

Paoooul, you've obviously had a bad experience that seems like one in a million. Sorry bro.

I personally think it's entirely about spatial awareness... Constantly checking all around you so you know exactly where everybody else is.

bluesprinter
14-05-13, 01:27 PM
there is only one way to settle this, So check it out, it's like this: If I lose, winner takes my car clean and clear. But if I win, I take the cash, *and* I take the respect! To some people, that's more important

pure_na
14-05-13, 02:13 PM
on the topic of accidents being avoidable, i think most are, but some to the point where it does not make you any less of a driver if you didn't avoid them. example: my aunty avoided getting rear ended by some guy stopped at the lights. how? she saw him coming, and jumped onto a curb to gtfo of the way as he flew through a red light. if she hadn't of done that, i would not have considered her any less of a driver.

on the topic of am i a good driver?

0 accidents in my total 4 years of driving other than being hit, stopped at a red light. the lady got out and said she was extremely sorry as she did not realise that she hadn't come to a complete stop (i was like 'lol wtf?'). In traffic, i consider myself to be an exceptionally good driver, but don't put it down to driving - i consider that i am exceptionally aware of all other drivers. that has nothing to do with my ability to push a pedal or turn a steering wheel. that said, i will never concede that my breaking speed laws is endangering anybody any more than the majority of drivers who obey them. i can count times where i was in the wrong and potentially could have caused an accident on one hand, and none of them were while i was speeding. i am of the opinion that about half the drivers in melbourne are fcking retarded and should not be allowed out of their homes.

as far as driving driving goes, i do not consider myself to be that great. however i believe that i know my limits, which allows my to push my car with confidence, knowing that my own limit is lower than that of the car. i am always trying to learn and improve.

maykosilvia
17-05-13, 02:00 PM
Well it's good to see a great response. I asked this question cause I had quite an interesting driving moment when I took a few corners to quickly and induced quite a lot of lift off oversteer in my DC2R. Held it through and my mate shitting himself in the passenger seat told me he hadn't ever seen driving like that commemorated me for it and it got me thinking about how good people think they can drive.

So from that and a few other defining driving moments I like to say I can feel a lot of what goes in my car (comfortable in a fwd so far) and that I'm pretty good atm. But always willing to learn as I realise it's only really started with my n/a vtec fwd monitor. So I really just want to explore all other types of configs like FR, MR and all the best of it!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

MRis200
02-06-13, 02:50 AM
i can say im an ok driver but i've been having a lot of dreams lately of me crashing my is200 not sure what that means........ haha

W34P0N
08-06-13, 11:53 AM
I'm a pretty safe driver now that im on my fulls.

Mikeyg
08-06-13, 12:01 PM
i think that im sex on legs as a driver tbh

DakDak
08-06-13, 01:01 PM
Well it's good to see a great response. I asked this question cause I had quite an interesting driving moment when I took a few corners to quickly and induced quite a lot of lift off oversteer in my DC2R. Held it through and my mate shitting himself in the passenger seat told me he hadn't ever seen driving like that commemorated me for it and it got me thinking about how good people think they can drive.

So from that and a few other defining driving moments I like to say I can feel a lot of what goes in my car (comfortable in a fwd so far) and that I'm pretty good atm. But always willing to learn as I realise it's only really started with my n/a vtec fwd monitor. So I really just want to explore all other types of configs like FR, MR and all the best of it!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Yea same I wanna try all platforms, cross to the dark side and drive a HSV.

But dont go racing around the suburbs. Your going to have a bad time.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Roger999
08-06-13, 01:18 PM
Me as a good driver = impossibru, because asian driver.

Sent from my potato

Alderaan
08-06-13, 01:31 PM
I generally consider myself a good driver, but lately have made a lot of stupid mistakes and really worry I'm losing it from stress and hormonal changes.

"woman drivers" ha!

ChunkyCharcoal
09-06-13, 08:23 PM
I'm good, for a p-plater with no track experience. Recently went on a putty rd run with the a bunch of 86's and I kept within 20m of them the whole drive, even with economy tires on. But I still have ALOT left to learn.

Boogs
09-06-13, 10:53 PM
I'm good, for a p-plater with no track experience. Recently went on a putty rd run with the a bunch of 86's and I kept within 20m of them the whole drive, even with economy tires on. But I still have ALOT left to learn.

You sure do.. staying more than 20m from the car in front would be a good start.
Especially Putty Rd.

magicmonkeyman
10-06-13, 04:09 AM
Not that good unfortunately ;C

mig
10-06-13, 09:45 AM
^ did that P plater do any Touge style driving and overtaking/drifting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKi_GVJbieg

Starwarz
23-06-13, 01:37 AM
Im shit in terms of high speed driving, people be driving 40 years but put them in a high powered rwd car and lets see them go sideways around a bend without smashing.
Good drivers are born and bred on the track, you need a place to push your limits and you cant do that on the street, hopefully i hit the tracks this year.

SKY350
23-06-13, 07:55 PM
Pretty good I'd say.
Learn't manual at 12/13 yrs old. Have taken pretty much all my cars onto a race track at one time or another, and thats where I've learnt the most. Everything from high powered RWD, to AWD to Formula Ford.
Always get a pro in with me to show me what I'm doing wrong.
But most of all, have never been the kind of farkwit that thinks they're sh!t hot in a car and drives to impress other.
To me that is the worst driver on the road, and unfortunately way to many of them on the road.
Funny thing is, put 95% of those guys on a track and they're either crashing into barriers, crashing into others, spinning every 2nd corner, or all of the above and generally are the worst drivers on track.

I think the other part is, i actually have a genuine interest in driving. I farken love it and have since day dot.
As a kid the fam would drive from Syd to Melb in the old mans Monaro. He tells me that even at 6 years old, i would be in the front, awake the whole way, copying what he was doing, pedals, steering, gears the lot. :)

EDIT - Forgot to add, i think a lot also has to do with how you're taught. Sorry to say but if your parents don't give a fark when you're learning or are bad drivers, you're probably going to pick up a lot of bad habits.

The New Guy
24-06-13, 11:38 AM
Crap I say

best guy
24-06-13, 03:37 PM
pretty average, lucky drifting is 10% skill 90% hollywood

Paoooul
25-06-13, 09:52 AM
Ken Block influenced me to quickly full lock turn into a parking spot except I hit a cement pylon.

Benkie
27-08-13, 03:06 PM
Can drive in a spirited manner safely when needed

haydeen
27-08-13, 08:13 PM
Sebastian Loeb/Ken Block/Michael Schumacher/Tanner Foust in one.

"I only post on Facebook if I know i am going to get likes" - M

MobiTechi
01-12-13, 04:20 PM
Confident but always learning.

ItsDanK
04-12-13, 05:59 PM
I'm not the worst but am keen to learn some of the more advanced manual techniques (like heel toe) but just never been in a situation/place where it's safe enough to learn or get taught.

debraaah
04-12-13, 07:59 PM
Confident... Lol

Delusional
04-12-13, 10:55 PM
Even tho no accidents yet, still pretty bad. Need to work on manual.. dont have manual car but soon :)

Fairlight
04-01-14, 05:27 PM
As a self considered "confident" driver, there are still always moments on the road behind the wheel in which still manage to make me have to think twice about where or who I'm about to steer in to or who gives way to who at certain lights. This said though I still think confidence should be a part of driving otherwise you'll never be able to make it over the first step of jerky braking or forgetting to head-check etc.

While I work as an apprentice technician at Volkswagen, you're expected to drive the client's vehicle but you're also expected to drive it in a safe and of course sensible manner whenever you get behind the wheel. This said though it's given me a lot, and I mean a LOT of times where I've encountered difficult parking or movement scenarios within the workshops or through the dealerships and I think in a way this has given me some experience in driving (currently an L plater at the time of this post) which will ultimately lead me to pass my probationary license test, and later onto becoming a fully licensed driver.

However I do think that driving and the driver has a lot more influence on the vehicle than say that HKS turbo or that ARC airbox, and I do think that driving as an art and as a learning experience would be fairly endless as just think about the different driving situations you surely sometimes encounter :P

BOSSR
17-03-14, 11:42 PM
Teribble.... sad to say.. :(

Ashdobson
04-06-14, 02:46 PM
Confident :p

silviachef
31-08-15, 10:24 AM
Average

jasonxwrx
05-09-17, 01:02 AM
I've been driving since 2011 but didn't get into the scene until 2016. 1 year of driving a modified vehicle taught me more common sense than the average Joe as I'm not afraid to take initiative (turning into busy intersections, round-a-bouts, etc.). But in terms of skill I would be sitting in the lower end of the spectrum, a few months ago I took a corner too hard and over-steer'd nearly wrecking my car.

Since I drive an AWD, I panicked and had the mindset of driving a RWD so I slammed on the brakes, wasn't until after that incident I started researching more into controlling an AWD and found out the best way was to either lift off the accelerator and correct the wheel or add on power to correct the body and drift your way out. I still may be wrong.