Car:: Nissan s15 JDM

current & planned mods:
-FMIC
-intank fuel pump
-AVCR EBC
-catback
-air pod
-keeping stock JDM turbo

i dont think i'll ever mod it to a level that requires a new turbo/big ass power
a big concern is driveability.. i wish to retain this as much as possible

track days isnt out of the equation, and it is my daily car.

so with my aim for the car, and driveability as a priority,
what do u guys recommend? your help will be appreciated.

i got a fitter, but need to find a supplier.
im sure u guys who have opted for exedy before did your homework at the time,
if you care to share store locations or best deals, that'll be awesome!

Many Cheers

Peaking Duck
15-10-07, 04:33 PM
heheh
sorry about that, Johnnilicte.

yeah the car is a s15 JDM, sorry to leave that out earlier.
thanks for your input..

4agte
15-10-07, 04:55 PM
call exedy and ask them for a clutch to suit your application they are quite helpfull it takes alot of the guess work outta it

rusty1
15-10-07, 06:32 PM
Ive just had an Exedy fitted to my 200sx and am very happy with the feel for street driving. Ive got a few more mods than you and running 196rkw

I sourced mine from Race Brakes Sydney. The guy that owns it , Mathew was very helpful through the process:D :D
http://www.racebrakessydney.com.au/index.html

lovesil
15-10-07, 07:17 PM
Judging from your list, your rwkw output shouldn't be any more than 160 rwkw. Which is about the same as my old 200sx. When i had my s14a, i tried Exedy HD and Sports Organic. HD felts very much like the stock one, very driveable and yet gives you good enough clutch change grip. Sports Organic is a level higher, which felt abit nearer to a button clutch. Grips alot better than HD (= quicker gearchange), but at the same time, it ain't good for driveability.

For your case, HD will do the job very well and its not going to cost you an arm for.

4agte
15-10-07, 07:38 PM
if i were you id get something that exceeds (no pun intended) your current setups requirements as the thing goes with mods you allways get a hankering for more

alltho dont go too crazy and if you drive it daily dont get a ceramic clutch as they chew your flywheel and pressure plate much like performance brake pads do to disc rotors stop start traffic the ceramic clutch will just chew them

ive never been a fan of hd exedy they just dont seem to last thats just my $0.02

Trolls Royce
15-10-07, 08:04 PM
I've been told that Exedy clutches don't have a great feel to them.

Also, be careful with stuff like button clutches. If you give the car a hard time they're a great way to blow gearboxes.

rusty1
16-10-07, 07:24 PM
I've been told that Exedy clutches don't have a great feel to them.

Also, be careful with stuff like button clutches. If you give the car a hard time they're a great way to blow gearboxes.

Thats why I didn't go the brass button/ ceramic clutch, its better to have a little give in the clutch to reduce stress on your gear box. Having the 6 speed S15 certainly guided me with my choice;)

Keven
18-10-07, 08:49 AM
Brendan (EssOneFive/Serial Killer) got a HD single mass (conversion) organic Exedy clutch for his S15.

I drove it before and after and I loved it. The reason why they put a dual mass in there to begin with is to lessen the shock loads put on the gbox and engine due to joe-bogan who doenst know how to drive a powerful JDM car (:)) I was a little worried about the single mass conversion, if it made it shuddery or jumpy, but it feels great, small friction point, not to heavy to drive in traffic and trust me... does not slip under load...

Even sideways load! :D

Peaking Duck
18-10-07, 04:07 PM
hey guys,

just booked in my car to have a EXEDY HD ORGANIC clutch fitted this upcomming tuesday.

CRD - silverwater.
$860 all up

at the moment, im still hesitating between the organic or the Cushion button HD.
hmmmmm.

can someone put me at ease!!?!?!?

VTECMACHINE
18-10-07, 04:11 PM
Excedy Sports organic clutches are good! You'll be happy. They are quite "heavy" though.

4agte
18-10-07, 05:24 PM
hey guys,

just booked in my car to have a EXEDY HD ORGANIC clutch fitted this upcomming tuesday.

CRD - silverwater.
$860 all up

at the moment, im still hesitating between the organic or the Cushion button HD.
hmmmmm.

can someone put me at ease!!?!?!?

what type of material is in the button clutch

if its brass button or ceramic id go with the organic for daily driven car with not too many mods

a hd organic wont be much if any heavier than stock

Kaotic
21-10-07, 03:01 PM
Exedy Racing/Heavy duty non slip clutch is mad, i dont know the exact model but it was the top one, I upgraded my gear box at the same time as to not blow it next time, i just wanted it all done at once with no problems later on... but im very happy with the new clutch!! :)

rusty1
21-10-07, 04:20 PM
a hd organic wont be much if any heavier than stock

My organic is not heavy at all infact its very close to factory;) so I wouldn't worry about going to the gym to strengthen the quads:lol:

chr1s
21-10-07, 04:26 PM
I ran organic exedy heavy duty on my old setup, clutch pedal feel was awesome, it was heavier than stock but not heavy.. it was perfect, my girlfriend could drive it easy so if she didn't complain about the clutch, all good :).

The clutch was good, even though I had the car for about 5xxx km after the rebuild the clutch grabbed and the car moved, I rode the shit out of it on a launch once by accident lol and it was still ok, I even took off in 3rd gear from standstill once in it (but thats for other reasons, the shifter bolt came loose LOL)

j0nbubz
24-10-07, 04:17 PM
Rusty, would you care to say approx how much u got your clutch fitted for?

PM me pls!!

denka
24-10-07, 06:10 PM
I really liked my exedy clutch when I had it, then I had the nismo super coppermix installed.

Miles apart and only slightly more expensive.

Highly recommended for anyone looking for a new clutch.

rusty1
24-10-07, 06:32 PM
Did you put the lightened flywheel on as well:?:

denka
24-10-07, 06:53 PM
Comes as a kit, so yes.

Especially with the yen at the moment, it's even cheaper.

rusty1
24-10-07, 08:42 PM
Do you get much noise when you back off the power, that was one thing that put me off the Nismo kit:neutral:

By the way I saw your car over at Josh's the other week, looks good in the flesh:cool: :cool:

denka
24-10-07, 10:04 PM
at certain RPMs yes you do, especially under load in 6th

but you get over it, the clutch feel and streetability more than make up for it - and its rated to 420ps

in fact, i think you get that rattle with a lot of single mass kits, the point of the dual mass is to reduce rattle and increase smoothness

oh and thanks dude :), the new monos are amazing

Peaking Duck
25-10-07, 09:15 PM
hey guys, just an update.

got my clutch fitted..

driven for about 200km now - city driving
wot is the correct way to run-in a new clutch? and for how long?

differences between stock and exedy:
no slack at all in the pedal
friction point is alot deeper in the pedal travel.
the amount of slip between "ON" and "OFF" is alot shallower
pedal isnt harder or heavier, but must say the "weight" of the pedal is consistant throughout, whereas the stock one felt soft then heavy as u clutch in.