PDA

View Full Version : Have you hit a cyclist? Media query

j_robertson
28-08-13, 10:38 AM
Hi,

I'm a reporter for the SMH. I'm writing a longer piece for the weekend's paper about the safety of cycling in Sydney.

I'm looking to speak to a driver who's had a run-in with a cyclist to get their perspective about what led to the accident and whether cycling poses any dangers for motorists.

If that sounds like you and you'd be up for a chat on the phone, can you PM me, or email your details to [email protected]?

Happy to answer any qs you may have about the nature of the article.

Best,

James Robertson

KidDynamite
28-08-13, 11:05 AM
lol like someone is going to admit hitting a bike rider

DakDak
28-08-13, 11:30 AM
We don't trust the media. You make us look like a menace to distract from more important news

Paoooul
28-08-13, 11:33 AM
i wish

j_robertson
28-08-13, 11:36 AM
I don't think it's fair to assume that whenever a cyclist gets hit the driver of the car is at fault. I'm sure a lot of the time it's very much not the case. Would love to hear from someone for whom that was the case.

It's definitely not my intention to demonise anyone.

Course_Out
28-08-13, 11:41 AM
Mate, any time the mainstream media has a story or article involving car enthusiasts it ends up with the car enthusiasts being demonised. No one is stupid enough to admit to hitting a cyclist, much less someone who sees how car enthusiasts are treated in the media.

I'm sure you're a fair and reasonable journalist in your own right but I don't think you're going to get much response here sorry

Hotdogs
28-08-13, 11:49 AM
Hi James.

Thoughts?

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8712/wru9.png

j_robertson
28-08-13, 11:55 AM
Well, I appreciate some elements of the media can be unfair on car enthusiasts. I don't think that's true of the SMH. And I think stories will definitely be one-sided is if only one side of an issue will talk to journalists.

I'm probably not going to change your convictions, but I know a lot of motorists have had problems with cyclists, and I'd like to speak to someone who'd give voice to their concerns. That's all. Not looking for someone to talk about how they ran down a cyclist, while laughing demonically. Just their side of a run-in, that's all.

JDM-20L
28-08-13, 12:30 PM
Well as a start, they could pay registration for using the roads like the rest of us have to.

Joy
28-08-13, 12:51 PM
I've never hit a cyclist however one of them has scratched my car (accidentally) and ridden off. I felt really disappointed he didn't bother to own up or exchange details.

saad
28-08-13, 12:58 PM
I know James personally, for abotu 15 years now, and I was the one who suggested that he get onto JDMST. He is not out to demonise motoring enthusiasts, and his piece has nothing to do with enthusiasts actually, just drivers in general

CaptainColen
28-08-13, 01:15 PM
As far as i'm concerned, it's not safe for anyone involved if you have one highly vulnerable party who physically cannot travel the speed limit. Especially when said party insists on jumping to the front of the que at every traffic light.
The safety issue is clearly with the governments refusal to implement propper, safe cycling routes throughout the city and NOT modified car owners/enthusiasts.
And Saad, you have got to be kidding right? We all know how the public will react when they find out the person who hit the cyclist was in a dangerous modified 'hoon' mobile...

saad
28-08-13, 01:28 PM
Dude he's writing about a driver who's had a run in with a cyclist, and last time I checked, JDMST had a lot of people who drive cars. The article wont be mentioning modified cars or anything.

But yeah you're right, Canberra for instance has awesome cycling paths and areas, and everyone seems to get along. Would never wanna ride a bike in Sydney thats for sure.

cardsy
28-08-13, 01:33 PM
I can see the headline already

cyclist hit by high powered Honda jks

But I have a mate on the other side of the fence that's been hit by a car whilst cycling (legally) and walked away just. His triathlon trainer not so lucky, still in hospital over 12 months later

bobbyjimmy
28-08-13, 03:15 PM
Canberra for instance has awesome cycling paths and areas, and everyone seems to get along.

Just because there is bike paths here, doesn't mean the cyclists use them.

saad
28-08-13, 03:34 PM
Yeah true, but in general, Canberra is a good place to ride, and not had many problems. I do have a problem with cyclists who choose to ride 2 file on a single lane road however.

THe bike paths on the edge of roads in Canberra are good though, defined lane for cyclists.

macaroni
28-08-13, 03:51 PM
Whose bright idea was it to let something that goes half the speed of a car share the road with a car. It's almost like a sprinting pedestrian running on the road. They should have to pay road taxes, rego and insurance like every other vehicle on the road.

whyte
28-08-13, 04:05 PM
Well as a start, they could pay registration for using the roads like the rest of us have to.

+111111111111

i've had so many close encounters with cyclists because of their own negligence (not looking at crossings and speeding through) and i've had to brake suddenly to avoid hitting them,
they carry on with their day as if nothing happened.
i'll let you know when one day i do hit them tho, cause it'll most likely be real soon, they're complete idiots on the roads.

brasher
28-08-13, 05:10 PM
brb paying money to read the paper on the fucking internet.

neni
28-08-13, 05:30 PM
http://youtu.be/lNgR2qU8ND8

Nathg
28-08-13, 05:34 PM
I can see the headline already

cyclist hit by high powered Honda jks

But I have a mate on the other side of the fence that's been hit by a car whilst cycling (legally) and walked away just. His triathlon trainer not so lucky, still in hospital over 12 months later

What's a "high powered Honda"?

ruskie
28-08-13, 05:43 PM
Please don't do the whole "us v them"

- Avid cyclist & car enthusiast

G54B
28-08-13, 05:51 PM
****s need to GTFO of the way when you come up behind them while they're riding in groups, not just act like they own the joint, completely ignore you cruising along behind them at 20km/h and then have the hide to flip you the bird when you beep to try and get them to shift out of the way after sitting behind them for ten minutes...
It's like driving through a mob of sheep, except the sheep are usually smart enough to get out of the way.

Mike.V?!
28-08-13, 05:56 PM
It's definitely not my intention to demonise anyone.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Because sourcing stories from car forums has always worked out well for us.

ruskie
28-08-13, 05:56 PM
****s need to GTFO of the way when you come up behind them while they're riding in groups, not just act like they own the joint, completely ignore you cruising along behind them at 20km/h and then have the hide to flip you the bird when you beep to try and get them to shift out of the way after sitting behind them for ten minutes...
It's like driving through a mob of sheep, except the sheep are usually smart enough to get out of the way.

On the contrary, we don't. Most pelotons are pretty good with their surroundings and most would easily do way more than 20km/h.
Unfortunately there are asshole cyclists, just like there are asshole drivers.

CaptainColen
28-08-13, 06:21 PM

its what happens when you put a muffler & a P plater on the car and have it crash in front of a channel 9 van.

cardsy
28-08-13, 06:30 PM
^ lol

93tzlegacy
28-08-13, 06:56 PM
I haven't hit one yet, but hope to one day.

neni
28-08-13, 07:05 PM
I haven't hit one yet, but hope to one day.

THIS

andhey
28-08-13, 07:20 PM
Last week in the city, cnut thought he was lance armstrong and that he could beat the light.
Was a decent hit but i went back to check if he was okay, he seemed a bit hurt so i ran back over him to finish it off.

j_robertson
28-08-13, 08:01 PM
OK. Well done. You've thwarted my conspiracy. Any suggestions on which other groups I can unfairly malign now that you've seen through the ruse very welcome.

Or; if you genuinely have a story about the difficulties of sharing the road with a cyclist and think it would go well in a piece about the difficulties of cyclists and motorists sharing the road, then drop me a line: [email protected]

CaptainColen
28-08-13, 08:15 PM
one time my car was so dangerously low and the exhaust so loud that I drove right under a cyclist and the sound wave exploded him off his bike. not sure if that counts as hitting him though

saad
28-08-13, 08:29 PM
You guys are idiots. I vouched for James and told you he is not writing a piece on modified cars at all, but you seem to think its some conspiracy. Jeese

Nathg
28-08-13, 08:35 PM
one time my car was so dangerously low and the exhaust so loud that I drove right under a cyclist and the sound wave exploded him off his bike. not sure if that counts as hitting him though

Hahaha oh god!

whiteballz
28-08-13, 08:35 PM
You guys are idiots. I vouched for James and told you he is not writing a piece on modified cars at all, but you seem to think its some conspiracy. Jeese

One persons word counts for naught these days - Not to mention if James wanted some information about sharing the road with cyclists he could have come across less accusatory and put some thought into the initial post.

James - Had your initial post been as level and considerate as your last post you would have found your reception more welcoming.
Joining a forum and asking if people have hit a cyclist, rather than asking if we had any stories about sharing the roads could have skipped the entire hassle.

clutch-monkey
28-08-13, 08:38 PM
never had a problem with cyclists. you see them on the road you drive around them and continue on

it's not rocket science

tofu86
28-08-13, 08:41 PM
never had a problem with cyclists. you see them on the road you drive around them and continue on

it's not rocket science
+1
I'm amazed at how some people are reacting the way they do. Really, who gives a shit about them being on the road? It only takes a few seconds to drive around them and carry on with the rest of your day

saad
28-08-13, 09:16 PM
One persons word counts for naught these days - Not to mention if James wanted some information about sharing the road with cyclists he could have come across less accusatory and put some thought into the initial post.

James - Had your initial post been as level and considerate as your last post you would have found your reception more welcoming.
Joining a forum and asking if people have hit a cyclist, rather than asking if we had any stories about sharing the roads could have skipped the entire hassle.

Did you read his first post? The title about "have u hit a cyclist" was obviously to grab attention, but the post wasn't accusatory at all.

I mean he said "I'm looking to speak to a driver who's had a run-in with a cyclist to get their perspective about what led to the accident and whether cycling poses any dangers for motorists."

Boogs
28-08-13, 09:28 PM
I like driving up real close to cyclists and giving a short 2 second blast of the siren.

Roger999
28-08-13, 09:30 PM

it's not rocket science
Pretty much like this 99% of the time.

Then there's some retard with a death wish who decides to cycle up a 20degree incline going 15kph when it's a 80kph zone....At the crest of the hill the cyclist is pretty prone to being fucked up if the driver isn't paying attention.

whiteballz
28-08-13, 09:33 PM
You're right Saad, maybe I read too much into it, the title is "Attention grabbing" but also placing the blame straight up.

Achilleos
28-08-13, 09:52 PM
I like driving up real close to cyclists and giving a short 2 second blast of the siren.
You are such a legend.

macaroni
28-08-13, 10:26 PM

HAHA I love this guy

Drifter995
28-08-13, 10:48 PM

it's not rocket science

This.
Our house has a bike 'track' that goes passed it if you will. The bikers ride out here from town, then loop back around through st leonards, and back to town. Fairly massive round trip, but it'd be pretty awesome.
I don't see how it's that hard to drive around them. I'm fine with sitting behind them at 20km/h till the road is clear. Although I must say I do hate driving passed them on town roads... can't get a comfortable enough space between them. I don't want to hit one.
As for them riding two abreast on the road, that's meant to be safer then riding single file. Only problem is, if it's a busy road, you can't get passed. Haven't had that happen though. Most of the guys and girls that comes out this way seem to be pretty good

lockieoc
28-08-13, 10:54 PM
They want to be equals on the road. If you want to be equal, obey the road rules! The amount of cyclists that think traffic lights don't apply to them is a joke.

macaroni
28-08-13, 10:58 PM
^Also, if they want to be equal, pay the damn taxes that other motorists have to pay, and go the same speed as others, otherwise, fuck off.

DakDak
28-08-13, 11:05 PM

HAHAHA for a copper your pretty damn cool.

saad
28-08-13, 11:08 PM
^Also, if they want to be equal, pay the damn taxes that other motorists have to pay, and go the same speed as others, otherwise, fuck off.

Yes cos cyclists wear out roads as much as cars, cause pollution, congestion, parking problems, so they should have to pay road tax too? And cyclists do pay tax, and most of them own a car too.

tofu86
28-08-13, 11:14 PM
why they should they? is it because they share the road? do you realise that motor vehicles pay registration because of the impact they have on the road and the associated maintenance costs? the heavier a vehicle is, the more costs they have to pay.

macaroni
28-08-13, 11:16 PM
Then use their car? I'm fine if they use bike trails or bike lanes, what pisses me off is when they slow down traffic by riding on the road. It's an unnecessary hazard.

tofu86
28-08-13, 11:30 PM
Then use their car? I'm fine if they use bike trails or bike lanes, what pisses me off is when they slow down traffic by riding on the road. It's an unnecessary hazard.
then pretty much everything on the road is a hazard.
for example: you have to give way to buses when they pull out from the curb; taxis that stop in front of you to pick up/drop off passengers; 40kmh school zones; pedestrian crossings. i could go on about things that make cars slow down.
why get worked up for something that will only affect a few minutes out of your day? WOOOSA bro, WOOOOSA

saad
28-08-13, 11:38 PM
^^^^ +1

clutch-monkey
29-08-13, 07:10 AM
HURR CYCLISTS SHOULD PAY ROAD TAX BECAUSE REASONS AND I HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT YET THAT I CAN OVERTAKE THEM
^this thread

whiteballz
29-08-13, 08:39 AM
Some of us can't overtake them..

Posted from Uranus, care of magic.

JDM-20L
29-08-13, 08:50 AM

it's not rocket science

Not in your part of the world Sam... :lol:

You need to spend some more time in Sydney... Or wait till you go for a leisurely RNP run and have to sit behind a pack of em

Boogs
29-08-13, 09:08 AM
Under the NSW road rules, a bicycle is considered a vehicle. As such, bicycle riders are required to obey the road rules, including stopping at red lights or stop signs, giving way as indicated by signage and giving hand signals when changing direction.

It is compulsory to wear a correctly fitted approved helmet when riding a bike in NSW.
This applies to all bicycle riders, regardless of age, including children on bicycles with training wheels and any child being carried as a passenger on a bike or in a trailer.

Some road rules apply specifically to bicycle riders. For example, bicycle riders are allowed to:
Ride two abreast, no more than 1.5 m apart
Overtake on the left hand side of stopped or slow moving vehicles
Travel in Bus Lanes and Transit Lanes
Ride on the footpath if less than 12 years old
Ride on the footpath if you are an adult riding with, and supervising, an under 12 year old
Turn right from the left hand lane of a multi-lane roundabout with the proviso that you give way to traffic exiting the roundabout before you
Travel on road shoulders.

Bicycle riders cannot:
Ride across unsignalised pedestrian crossings
Ride across signalised crossings unless there are special bicycle lights
Travel in Bus Only Lanes.

Bicycle lanes are indicated by a special sign.
Where bicycle lanes are provided, riders must use them whenever practicable.
Regulatory bicycle lane sign

Your bicycle must have:
At least one working brake
A bell or horn to help sound a warning to other cyclists or pedestrians.

If riding at night, your bicycle must also have:
A steady or flashing white light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres
A flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres from the rear of the bike
A red rear reflector that is clearly visible for 50 metres when light is projected onto it by a vehicle's headlight on low beam

Failing to obey road or bicycle rules may result in a fine.
Highlighted point proves that they need to pay some sort of rego each year. Even if its only $20.

JDM-20L
29-08-13, 09:36 AM
Agree! If they can sell bloody fishing license they can charge cyclist rego + CTP for using the road!

Paoooul
29-08-13, 10:09 AM
Some of us can't overtake them..

Posted from Uranus, care of magic.

:lol:

Joy
29-08-13, 11:26 AM
What happens if a cyclist is speeding in a school zone (more than 40KM). I've seen cyclists go considerably faster than cars during the times when school zones are active (not a common thing). Curious to know what police will do, that's all. Now imagine the cyclist doesn't have a license (they are not required right?).

What then.

elisss
29-08-13, 11:35 AM
What happens if a cyclist is speeding in a school zone (more than 40KM). I've seen cyclists go considerably faster than cars during the times when school zones are active (not a common thing). Curious to know what police will do, that's all. Now imagine the cyclist doesn't have a license (they are not required right?).

What then.

Are you sure about this? I wouldn't have thought cyclists can get above or maintain a speed above 30kmph. Unless maybe there was a slope, etc.

daevilone
29-08-13, 11:43 AM
Are you sure about this? I wouldn't have thought cyclists can get above or maintain a speed above 30kmph. Unless maybe there was a slope, etc.

pretty easily.. I can maintain 40kph on a flat (albeit for not long...) add a slope into the mix and I can break 60kmh speed limits without too much hassle. Big enough hill I'll crack 100....
I've always wondered about speeding on my bike as well lol. It happens so infrequently that I don't worry about it.

but a lot of cyclists are capable of traveling much faster than people realise/give them credit for. If I'm riding around in traffic I often don't bother using the verge/side of the lane as I am moving just as fast as the cars.

ruskie
29-08-13, 11:51 AM
Re registration: You do realise that a minority of registration costs goes towards road maintenance? If we use the same calculations that are used for cars in regards to registration costs a bicycle would pay about $5. This wouldn't go anywhere near covering the costs associated with making number plates or even introducing such a system.

Road rules: Yes, cyclists are supposed to abide by the road, just like every other driver. You can say cyclists break road rules, i'm sure they do but get down from your high horse. If drivers never broke road rules then speed cameras, red light cameras etc etc would be obsolete. Tell me how registration of vehicles has gone to stop road offences from happening.

Speeding in school zones: There was an article earlier this year (or maybe last year) about an officer who booked a cyclist for speeding in a school zone. The contentious issue is that how do you fine someone for speeding in accordance with speeding penalties when there is no licensing requirements to ride a bike. Not to mention deducting points. BTW getting above 30km/h is quite easy on the flats. Personally I can ride above 40km/h on the flats. Heck even this morning along the barracks near Maroubra I was riding along just shy of 60km/h.

Re wanting to hit a cyclist: I truly hope that is a joke. You are the people who make me fear for my life when riding. It only takes one slip of a rider or the driver's wheel to change both individuals lives forever.

Joy
29-08-13, 12:13 PM
Speeding in school zones: There was an article earlier this year (or maybe last year) about an officer who booked a cyclist for speeding in a school zone. The contentious issue is that how do you fine someone for speeding in accordance with speeding penalties when there is no licensing requirements to ride a bike. Not to mention deducting points. BTW getting above 30km/h is quite easy on the flats. Personally I can ride above 40km/h on the flats. Heck even this morning along the barracks near Maroubra I was riding along just shy of 60km/h.

Exactly what I was trying to raise. I accept while a cyclist is going to do less damage to a child/teen then a car at the same speed, going at 50 will still cause serious injury.

Also, you drive a nissan Y30?? (Gloria? Cima? Cedric?? which one, I'm in Rosebery during the day, would love to see it)

Course_Out
29-08-13, 12:18 PM

During sprint training for BMX (usually 50m - 100m sprint from a standing start) we regularly clock speeds of 45km/h. Some of the guys I train with can crack 50km/h. Obviously that is full throttle, over 120rpm on the pedals but its also on a bike with one gear. A cyclist on a road bike with multiple gears and low resistance tyres would be able to maintain Those sort of speeds pretty easily I'd have thought? Bit of a downhill and you could be pulling some massive speeds.

I personally don't have any problem sharing the road with cyclists - I think some (emphasis on "some") cyclists take some stupid risks. For example my daily commute includes a stretch of 90km/h 4 lane road with very wide shoulders. For some reason a lot of cyclists seem to want to ride on the road marking lines, when there is ample room to ride 2 or even 3 abreast on the shoulder and have a solid 500mm buffer between them and traffic? If I ride on the road (not very often - I don't really enjoy it) I would prefer to have as much distance between myself and traffic as possible. I leave a gap around me driving my car to avoid an accident, why wouldn't I do that when there is no steel, only a helmet and my squishy insides to bear the brunt of an impact?

In regards to overtaking cyclists - it is terribly frustrating to sit in an 60 or 80km/h zone behind a group of cyclists doing 25km/h - 30km/h, and sometimes overtaking is not an option. I don't personally feel it is a cyclists vs. cars issue, it is an issue of common courtesy to other road users. I'm going to be just as annoyed by a car doing 1/2 or 1/4 of the posted speed limit as I would a group of cyclists

PLTP
29-08-13, 12:18 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2eb_1377596404

Mokey Nagata
29-08-13, 12:59 PM
I was once riding my bike and was hit by a car. It wasn't bad or anything, the driver as a tard.

He was stopped at a T intersection with his right indicator on (on the rupright bit of the T) and I rode behind him. He put it into reverse and tried to run me over.... Pretty funny because I was on a shitty BMW bike and the peg scratched his bumper.
Not too sure why he reversed.

daevilone
29-08-13, 01:02 PM
I personally don't have any problem sharing the road with cyclists - I think some (emphasis on "some") cyclists take some stupid risks. For example my daily commute includes a stretch of 90km/h 4 lane road with very wide shoulders. For some reason a lot of cyclists seem to want to ride on the road marking lines, when there is ample room to ride 2 or even 3 abreast on the shoulder and have a solid 500mm buffer between them and traffic? If I ride on the road (not very often - I don't really enjoy it) I would prefer to have as much distance between myself and traffic as possible. I leave a gap around me driving my car to avoid an accident, why wouldn't I do that when there is no steel, only a helmet and my squishy insides to bear the brunt of an impact?

I know some stretches of road kind of like that where the shoulder is bullshit tarmac with the half finished tops of the last half dozen times they resurfaced everything but the shoulder. Pretty shitty to ride on. I usually tough it out and ride there anyway but riding on the nicely surfaced road is a hell of a lot nicer - and faster.

Course_Out
29-08-13, 01:28 PM
Yeah I could understand if it was uneven or whatever (as stated previously, I ride too) but the roads I am talking about are uniform literally all the way to the spoon drain, a good car width and a half from the road. The road is no smoother than the shoulder, that's why it makes no sense to me?

I personally ride only BMX and mountain bikes so I can get the hell off the road as much as possible

Drifter995
29-08-13, 01:37 PM
I only ever ride a bmx... And even then, I won't get on the road. I ride on the footpath. When I did ride on the road, I'd always go on the opposite side, so on the side facing incoming traffic (was quiet countryish residential road) Just so I could see the cars coming. I hate not seeing cars with a passion.

Achilleos
29-08-13, 01:44 PM
I think the key thing here is that a car is much bigger and heavier than bikes, its just simply unsafe no matter how cautious both parties are. There will be accidents, I hate cyclists who ride on highways it's just plain stupid.

darksky34
29-08-13, 02:12 PM
I only ever ride a bmx... And even then, I won't get on the road. I ride on the footpath. When I did ride on the road, I'd always go on the opposite side, so on the side facing incoming traffic (was quiet countryish residential road) Just so I could see the cars coming. I hate not seeing cars with a passion.

yeah i only ride on the footpath if on a big road...and opposite way too.

those who said they wish to hit a cyclist your licence deserves to be shredded.

slow incompetent inconsiderate drivers are just as bad as slow incompetent inconsiderate cyclists, fullstop. it's not a cyclist v drivers debate. have a look over in asian cities where scooters/bikes are much more common, they get along fine, this isn't saying that accidents don't occur between them!

Boogs
29-08-13, 02:27 PM

What then.

You can get done.

Penalties
Under NSW legislation, you can be penalised if you commit a traffic offence. There are specific road rules for bicycle riders that also carry fines.

Penalties for bicycle offences are usually issued by a Police officer and are issued on the spot. A Police officer may ask you your name, address and other personal details to
verify your identity.

Negligent riding
The law provides for penalties for riding a bicycle in a negligent or dangerous manner.
Riding a bicycle negligently means
riding to endanger the life of yourself or others.

Drink riding
Riding under the influence of alcohol is a serious offence. You can be fined or imprisoned by a court if you are
found to be drink riding. Same rules and BAC limit as a car licence. 0.05 for full licence drivers, 0.00 for L/P platers

Fuck, you can even get drink driving/riding even if you are on a horse.

Not wearing a helmet
You are required by law to wear an approved helmet securely fitted and fastened on your head when riding a
bicycle. Not leave it hanging over the handlebars

The fines are lower than a car offense, but yes you can get done.
From memory running a red light on a bike is $63.

Paoooul
29-08-13, 02:37 PM
yeah i only ride on the footpath if on a big road...and opposite way too.

those who said they wish to hit a cyclist your licence deserves to be shredded.

slow incompetent inconsiderate drivers are just as bad as slow incompetent inconsiderate cyclists, fullstop. it's not a cyclist v drivers debate. have a look over in asian cities where scooters/bikes are much more common, they get along fine, this isn't saying that accidents don't occur between them!

im gonna hit you when you're cycling

SafeCyclingOz
29-08-13, 09:17 PM
Hi guys.
Just a pic I've thought well worth posting. Read it and feel the love.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z312/aussiewomble/Screenshot_2013-08-29-20-45-25_zpse3a1d43a.png

DakDak
29-08-13, 09:43 PM
Hey man, isnt that a pornstar?

FRpilot
29-08-13, 09:48 PM
im gonna hit you when you're cycling

id be a little concerned even if u r just trolling

darksky is fairly big for an asian.. 6'2" 120kg cnut that looks like hes on steroids 247 :|

KidDynamite
29-08-13, 10:53 PM
Hi guys.
Just a pic I've thought well worth posting. Read it and feel the love.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z312/aussiewomble/Screenshot_2013-08-29-20-45-25_zpse3a1d43a.png

wtf why is my dp on that link lmao

Achilleos
29-08-13, 11:39 PM
For example me today riding on footpath next to bridge, see an idiot riding on the road (despite there being a perfectly fine bike path) holding up all the fucking traffic on the bridge. I just don't get guys like this? I ride most days, always on bike paths or as far to the side of the road i can without blocking traffic.

xsoarerx
30-08-13, 01:55 AM
Highlighted point proves that they need to pay some sort of rego each year. Even if its only $20.

The Question is. Who is a Road cyclist then? What constitutes a road sharing cyclist? does a cyclist need a particular type of bike, fitness level or maintain an average speed, do families who ride on the weekends along the side of the road require registration as well and how do you police it? theres still police that look for BOV's on NA cars, how you going to explain you're a recreational cyclists compared to a commuting cyclists or training cyclists and don't require registration while you happen to be going for a cruise down to the park along a roadway.

Paoooul
30-08-13, 12:57 PM
id be a little concerned even if u r just trolling

darksky is fairly big for an asian.. 6'2" 120kg cnut that looks like hes on steroids 247 :|

sounds hot

darksky34
30-08-13, 02:22 PM
sounds hot

you're a nugget. go read this thread http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?57790-Recent-meets-must-watch and then tell me how you'd like to hit a cyclist.

whyte
30-08-13, 02:25 PM
had another close encounter with a cyclist last night.
the idiot ran a red light to cross 3 lane main road (Cumberland Highway with 70km speed limit) and myself and few other cars had to brake to avoid collecting and killing this c*nt so of course we all beep, what does he do?
gives us the finger, god bless cyclists.

i just wish i collected him so that is one idiot taken off the road.

it's just the minority of them that give them a bad name for the whole, just like import/modified cars.

Scandrew
30-08-13, 03:49 PM
There's cyclists and then there's cun7s on bikes similar to motorists vs cun7s in cars.

SafeCyclingOz
30-08-13, 04:12 PM
There's cyclists and then there's cun7s on bikes similar to motorists vs cun7s in cars.
BOOM!

neni
30-08-13, 05:32 PM
i hate you when they lean on your car.

i actually know of someone that has hit a cyclist last year. I threw a party afterwards.

aly in underland
30-08-13, 06:34 PM
Some years ago, driving at night I tried to merge into the left lane without seeing a cyclist in my blind spot.

He yelled at me, kicked a dent in my rear guard (whilst riding), and rode off into the night.

Fc rotor
31-08-13, 12:07 AM
The Question is. Who is a Road cyclist then? What constitutes a road sharing cyclist? does a cyclist need a particular type of bike, fitness level or maintain an average speed, do families who ride on the weekends along the side of the road require registration as well and how do you police it? theres still police that look for BOV's on NA cars, how you going to explain you're a recreational cyclists compared to a commuting cyclists or training cyclists and don't require registration while you happen to be going for a cruise down to the park along a roadway.

If your wearing Lycra you must pay rego. End of story

xsoarerx
31-08-13, 12:36 PM
If your wearing Lycra you must pay rego. End of story

stop wearing lycra to avoid rego.

Quakerz
03-09-13, 01:17 AM
i've never hit a cyclist, but i'd sure like to! almost flattend a few who have ran red lights. (having said that, i enjoy cycling as a sport, and riding myself, but not on the road being a douchebag)

Oxer
03-09-13, 09:04 AM
brb paying money to read the paper on the fucking internet.

seems wise.

http://cdn.carthrottle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/s20001-655x278.jpg

Who the fuck are you?

+1
I'm amazed at how some people are reacting the way they do. Really, who gives a shit about them being on the road? It only takes a few seconds to drive around them and carry on with the rest of your day

You havent driven around the bay in melbourne on a weekend obviously.

Maybe not the same amount as a car, but something. I pay $720 per car for rego, just to cover these ****s when they get injured.

40km/h is easy to ride at, albeit not on a hipster fixie.

i hate you when they lean on your car.

I'd get out and push them over, just to show them how my car feels.

luke540
09-10-13, 10:01 PM
JDMST Cycling club!!, but seriously why do you think most cyclists ride in early hours of the day, waking up at 4:30 in the morning? not because they like waking up that early its because they don't want to annoy the majority of drivers who are out in midday. Also its easy to ride at 40kmh even faster on downhills.
I went for a ride through rnp last weekend and the whole time 2 cars and 3 motor bikes passed us and as they did so we waited for a safe spot to allow him past instead of letting him overtake on a blind corner (yes a whole 1 minute he waited!!) being in a bunch of 20 odd riders it takes time for word to make it to the front runners that a car/bike is waiting.
Working at a bike shop i do know some people are idiots just as some drivers are idiots aswell but dont hate a whole group because of a couple,i dont hate all drivers because some cant drive... And if you cant wait a couple minutes for a safe space to overtake you probably should'nt be driving.

/rant

CA2
25-10-13, 11:17 PM
I used to work with a guy who hit a cyclist after work like 400m from our office. The cyclist was riding accross the T-Intersection but was riding in the end of the joining road so he was knocked off. Bike was gone.

ItsDanK
03-11-13, 12:56 AM
I've almost hit a bike, he was riding right next to me on the road and decided he'd become a pedestrian and went straight across me at a zebra crossing. Cheeky bugger.

FRpilot
04-11-13, 01:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-D_o6ZoJEk

RtN
04-11-13, 03:30 PM
annoying F_ _ _ KS. Why can't they ride on the footpath where they belong? Also when they do sometimes.. i've seen them be reckless C _ NTS. Almost hit people including toddlers and even prams. Some also make others go off the path rather than themselves in their more than capable bikes...

I did see a few cyclists which I didn't mind, he was travelling as quick as I was on the road about 60-70km/h

They also ride across crossings/traffic lights as well...we all have to move out of the way for them, thought they were supposed walk their bikes across the crossing?

What makes them thing they are better than us pushing in between cars to the front of traffic? Thought lane splitting was illegal. Hope they all get run over.

They are just as annoying as people:
- who don't move to the left of the escalator when stationary
- trying to board a train before letting other passengers alight from it
- driving really slow on the right lane (when I just drive at the speed limit I move to the left lane if I see cars coming behind me at a quicker pace, why can't others do that shit as well?)
- sneezing/coughing on trains without covering their mouths
- loud music on their shitty apple earphones that leak sound

rage

alan.chalkley
04-11-13, 06:26 PM
How many drivers hit and run cyclists?
I was hit head on by a young driver , who borrowed his mum's corolla and turned right in front of me and then took off and left me injured.
He was known by police , who tracked him down.
When someone is injured people need to stop and help.
He managed to keep his license by pleading he was suffering from anxiety.

xxkimu.supraxx
04-11-13, 07:32 PM
I have never hit a cyclist, though i wish i could if it were legal...

i seriously do not know what gives them the right to ride in the middle of the road at 10-20km/h in a 60 or 80km/h zone then cross oncoming traffic in the same zones.
I encounter this every day i go to work and nearly every time i visit my girlfriend.
Not only is this unsafe for the cyclists themselves aswell as motorists, but it is completely obnoxious on their behalf and is incredibly frustrating/annoying -especially when running late.

There is a footpath for a reason and if they are too obnoxious to use it AND not obey the "keep to the left side of the road at ALL times" unwritten law they deserve to be hit.

In saying this, some cyclists are very cautious and obey the rules rightly and do not make themselves a hazard on the road, but most of the ones here in newcastle and most in north/west sydney are fucked and will actually have a go at you if you tell them to move to the left side of the road and will continue to ride directly in front of your car until you have to overtake on the opposite side of the road.

Not only has this happened to me on more than 5 occasions in the last month, but also in mates cars, aswell as when my girlfriend decides to drive when we go on dates together.

Also those gay little outfits they wear really turn me off too.

If need be, make the cyclists rego their pushbikes and create specific cycle lanes on all roads.

Don't even get me started on groups of 10+ cyclists on the road at once.. :evil:

Drifter995
04-11-13, 08:48 PM
Ok, two of you above are just....
It's illegal to ride bikes on the footpath for exactly the reason one of you mentioned... People coming out of shops, of which then run into bikes, because they don't look. because a) it's illegal to ride a bike on the footpath, and b) you're not expecting that to happen, you're expecting to just walk out and down the path.

Riding in the middle of the road, is actually safer for them than riding on the side, as people tend to have a crack at overtaking them in traffic, and causing all kinda of shenanigans such as either taking them out, because they are driving a boat, and don't realise how wide it is.
Driving in packs is safer again, because a) you can see them. and b) you're not going to run over a pack of cyclists, unless you really are fucking stupid.

As for the outfits, also for sight, so people don't run them over. and also pretty sure they're like skins and help with sweat/ skin breathing, and compress muscles etc.

I'm not a rider, but seriously, is it really that hard to wait an extra 5 seconds to pass them safely?
There are so many blind corners around where I live, so I've sat behind one for about 10 minutes, and I don't care. I live on a bicycle route, so it's expected.
Also, bike lanes are being built/ have been built which are designed to make it safer for them again.
Granted, there are some dickheads out there, but not all of them are.

clutch-monkey
04-11-13, 09:13 PM
I'm not a rider, but seriously, is it really that hard to wait an extra 5 seconds to pass them safely?
There are so many blind corners around where I live, so I've sat behind one for about 10 minutes, and I don't care. I live on a bicycle route, so it's expected.
Also, bike lanes are being built/ have been built which are designed to make it safer for them again.
x2
if you can't figure out how to overtake a cyclist, maybe less money spent on stickers and rotas and more on power mods lol

xxkimu.supraxx
04-11-13, 09:28 PM

I never said it was a pain in the ass to wait an extra 5 seconds to pass, my argument is that i have to wait 10+ minutes or 20+ cars to pass them to realise they need to get off to the side of the road.
Also, like you, there are many blind corners in some parts i travel in, so fair enough, i do wait for them in those instances and do see how it is safer around hilly areas with plenty of corners.
However- when it is on a straight highway or freeway/bypass i dont see how it is safer to ride in the middle of the road at 20km/h (yes, this has happened numerous times, nearly causing the car behind me to run up my rear end) when there is nearly a whole extra lane next to them on the side for cars to pull over in etc.
One would think riding in this section of the road 1m+ away from cars would be safer than riding directly infront of them 60km/h slower than the road speed limit

tofu86
04-11-13, 09:52 PM
this is still going?

i'm more surprised the ragers havent had said anything about cyclists (and bikers/scooters) lane splitting.

Drifter995
04-11-13, 10:05 PM
I never said it was a pain in the ass to wait an extra 5 seconds to pass, my argument is that i have to wait 10+ minutes or 20+ cars to pass them to realise they need to get off to the side of the road.
Also, like you, there are many blind corners in some parts i travel in, so fair enough, i do wait for them in those instances and do see how it is safer around hilly areas with plenty of corners.
However- when it is on a straight highway or freeway/bypass i dont see how it is safer to ride in the middle of the road at 20km/h (yes, this has happened numerous times, nearly causing the car behind me to run up my rear end) when there is nearly a whole extra lane next to them on the side for cars to pull over in etc.
One would think riding in this section of the road 1m+ away from cars would be safer than riding directly infront of them 60km/h slower than the road speed limit

In that instance it seems stupid, but I wonder how somebody driving passed at 80-110km/h whilst you're riding at like 10-20 would affect you as a rider... I'm curious as to what would make them ride on that part in particular.