PDA

View Full Version : Front splitter question

siikre
22-10-13, 12:01 AM
Hey guys
Looking at making a front splitter. Any suggestions or in put. Firstly are they legal for the road ?
What material should I use ? (Don't want carbon it's too much $$ and don't want wood)
Is there a thicker plastic that can be used because I'm not to great with metal.
I want to make it so it also acts as a splash guard under the motor, so it will finish just behind the tires. So I'm going to use the existing mounts as well as creating some new ones if need be. Also I know the basic of the angels to set it but is there anything else I need to know before

Cheers

Bronald McDonald
22-10-13, 12:20 AM
Your subaru RX will certainly need a splitter, given that it is doing racecar light speeds on the public raceway aka M4

siikre
22-10-13, 12:57 AM
Your subaru RX will certainly need a splitter, given that it is doing racecar light speeds on the public raceway aka M4

I was waiting for that.

The reason I'm wanting to put the splitter on is because I want to start doing some track days. I'm planing a ej25 swap and working that engine (trying to squeeze as much out of a n/a) as well as doing suspension and handling mods. And if it's not legal for street use I'll make it so that it can be taken on an off easily.
I also want that downforce to go as fast as possible through maccas drive thou

siikre
22-10-13, 01:04 AM
It's my first car and my first budget build project. Once I get another car once I'm off a restricted license I'm hoping to make it a full race spec car.

andhey
22-10-13, 03:01 AM
budget and building a na ej25? lol

and your only option really is perspex or fiberglass

Prancer
22-10-13, 08:11 AM
dont bother making a splitter, just spend your time and money on the best tyres you can afford and go do some trackdays

bluesprinter
22-10-13, 09:40 AM
dont bother making a splitter, just spend your time and money on the best tyres you can afford and go do some trackdays

agree

To answer the question, a proper purposeful working splitter wont do much without a GT wing. a GT wing wont do much if its not mounted high enough. No aero will work if your car/driver is not fast enough.

now thats out of the way, front splitter needs to mount to the chassis, so any mounting point needs to relate back to the chassis directly. the Splitter needs to be able to hold heavy weight, as in you can stand on it and it wont crack or rip off your mounting points.

a good start is wood, old skool and still used today.. a FC rx7 in open class at WTAC this year had a wood front splitter, i thought that was period correct + old skool+ it looked and i bet it worked very well.

SamB87
22-10-13, 09:52 AM
Splitter needs to be this strong.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/22/any8e6a7.jpg

bluesprinter
22-10-13, 10:10 AM
haha i was looking for that photo to post up