PDA

View Full Version : Is drag racing dead?

UZZ31
23-01-14, 06:51 PM
I remember when I was in school my mum would drop my self and a few mates of at Calder park every Friday night, we would be there when the gates open and then sit out the front and watch everyone leave. We did this for pretty much my whole high school life, when we got our licenses we used to go to Calder ourselves as well as race at every set of traffic lights (as you do when you are young and dumb)

Just recently I have started my own business selling performance gear and spare parts. We have my Mates SSS pulsar (built for circuit racing) that has my stickers all down the side of it and I`m now looking to buy something to promote my business as well.

I really want to get bag in to Drag racing and as I use to drag in a Holden I went about doing some research in racing with a Turbo 6 and IRS. I found hardly anything, there was some info but not much. Then I got thinking, you never here anyone say that they are building a drag car, when ever anyone says they are building a track car and its a Gtst, silvia, 180 ect I just expect that its a drift car, if its a Civic, or other FWD hatch style car or evo/wrx I would expect its a time attack/ circuit car. Is it just me or is Drag racing in the import world not around anymore.

I know there are people that take their car out to drag for something to do but does anyone actually build a car that's main purpose is drag racing?

clutch-monkey
23-01-14, 07:01 PM
Then I got thinking, you never here anyone say that they are building a drag car,

because you're on the wrong forum for that sort of thing.
there are still a lot of drag builds going on.
just two days ago i looked at a 900hp evo IX that's setup for drag.

ievaq8
24-01-14, 06:54 AM
Calder is def bak.on...
Was there last friday racing.my bros cars...

Prancer
24-01-14, 06:57 AM
i guess most of the owners of big drag cars dont care to tell people every detail of their car

because then someone will copy them and they lose their edge

owners of big drag cars get them built by workshops as they are out building mines or other big $ industries

maybe find a class you want to win/break the record for and aim for that, its alot easier to build a car once you have rules set

bluesprinter
24-01-14, 07:30 AM
drag cars means lots of money, that is why average people dont do it much more, you know, sticker bombing and slammed cars are cheaper to play this game.

drez
24-01-14, 03:49 PM
No its not dead.
there are still many tuners out there play around with their cars to get optimum 1/4mile times.
Nowadays check Heathcote for tune and drag day where most ppl that concentrated in drag performance are playing.

Mokey Nagata
24-01-14, 05:56 PM
Honestly I think it's getting bigger compared to the last few years.
Definitely on the rise at the moment.

Biggie
24-01-14, 06:40 PM
if your ever in sydney come to WSIDs wed night drag meets more cars than ever... alot of the top end stuff has suffered a bit due to lack of money / sponsorship but at a grass roots lever its bigger than ever - just dont hear about it that much

mfbamba
24-01-14, 06:59 PM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Forbidden-Performance/130973346993727

Lekic
25-01-14, 07:58 PM
because you're on the wrong forum for that sort of thing.

He never said his research was solely on this forum.

As for the whole drag scene, I see a lot of people racing imports at Eastern Creek, but I can say I've only seen one that has been made solely for drags. My STI is tuned for circuit, but I would still take it down to the drags so I can see what it runs in the quarter. I would imagine a lot of people do the same.

My personal reason for tuning for a more versatile type of drive is because I want the best balance of a daily driver and a weekend warrior. A fantastically tuned circuit car still has drivability on normal roads. Given it is a bit overkill, but it can still be done. In fact, the suspension setups could provide an absolute dream of a drive on mountainous roads. As opposed to those 8 second animals, I'm guessing they get about 150km on a full tank.

striken2o
25-01-14, 08:57 PM
Drags are going to take off once again for sure in the future when electric motors are the norm and battery storage is more efficient, 100% torque from the get go freaking insane.

macaroni
25-01-14, 10:41 PM
^silent drag racing....what's the point really?

soarer
25-01-14, 11:25 PM
^silent drag racing....what's the point really?

you don't wake the neighbours up

-EGA.2.90-
25-01-14, 11:33 PM
He never said his research was solely on this forum.

As for the whole drag scene, I see a lot of people racing imports at Eastern Creek, but I can say I've only seen one that has been made solely for drags. My STI is tuned for circuit, but I would still take it down to the drags so I can see what it runs in the quarter. I would imagine a lot of people do the same.

My personal reason for tuning for a more versatile type of drive is because I want the best balance of a daily driver and a weekend warrior. A fantastically tuned circuit car still has drivability on normal roads. Given it is a bit overkill, but it can still be done. In fact, the suspension setups could provide an absolute dream of a drive on mountainous roads. As opposed to those 8 second animals, I'm guessing they get about 150km on a full tank.
Leigh's street registered gc8 is built for drags.. Got an auto box and 9sec slip to match - running Tempe 17s and nankangs

greatbeardedface
06-04-14, 02:15 AM
I feel as though drag racing is making a come back. The key is definetly to draw people in at a grassroots level.
on a side note I would like to see more fast n/a four bangers, 6 cylinder and even jap v8 powed "street cars" and some mixed events I.e 1/2 mile and roll racing. It will spice things up and appeal to a wider audience.