PDA

View Full Version : What if I wrote and drew a car comic?

van
06-11-06, 02:27 PM
Sooo tempted to write and draw a car comic, but it would be so much work! Especially with drawing so many cars, urgh!

I did this sketch of what I'd love to do. The reason I thought of it is because I'm sick of waiting for the next chapter of the scanned/translated Wangan Midnight manga to come out (which is a manga comic about a dude with a 240Z, for those who don't know), so I'd just make my own alternate reality version of the story.

Basically, in my alternate version of the story, the dude in Wangan would crash the car once again, and decide that it's too much for him. He puts it up for sale, and a dude here in Melbourne Australia imports it, and continues the legacy. ;)

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l144/friendipity/fairlady-story.jpg

Whatcha think? I'm very far from being a pro, that's for sure haha. My inking sucks! I also traced the photo of Austin Hoke's Z, because it was way too hard to draw. So I'm a cheating bastard, but ah well.

FRpilot
06-11-06, 03:17 PM
talent right there

van
06-11-06, 03:35 PM
Thanks man :)

Babalouie
06-11-06, 03:48 PM
Wow....skillz! :D I'd buy that if it was published :D

....although a manga about australian car life is a bit weird...speed cameras, getting defected for noise, being chased out of the macca's car park....just not the same as say, drift races up and down Akina :D

Sp33dY
06-11-06, 04:00 PM
Hehhee... New owner Van does chap laps on a Saturday night, gets defected. With frustration poweing him, he heads to laverton or woodlands industrial estates to drag fellow Imports, but again fails being thrashed by a turbo Mirage runing a full motec system exhaust. Finally, he beats a 4ac sprinter and heads to Bell St Maccas at 3am for some food, unintentionally running an undercover TMU in a new VE SS Commodore. Car is impounded, and sold at auctions.

The buyer is from the California, his name is Van Diesel. The JDM/AUDM legacy continues USDM stylez. Van races on Californian streets against Paul Walker in an R34 ... blah blah blah

LMAO ... damn that would be an awesome comic!

Mike.V?!
06-11-06, 04:02 PM
Van Diesel

LOL!

van
06-11-06, 04:07 PM
Hehhee... New owner Van does chap laps on a Saturday night, gets defected. With frustration poweing him, he heads to laverton or woodlands industrial estates to drag fellow Imports, but again fails being thrashed by a turbo Mirage runing a full motec system exhaust. Finally, he beats a 4ac sprinter and heads to Bell St Maccas at 3am for some food, unintentionally running an undercover TMU in a new VE SS Commodore. Car is impounded, and sold at auctions.

The buyer is from the California, his name is Van Diesel. The JDM/AUDM legacy continues USDM stylez. Van races on Californian streets against Paul Walker in an R34 ... blah blah blah

LMAO ... damn that would be an awesome comic!

Hahaha shit, I've gotta get you on board to help write it :P

josh2.5
06-11-06, 04:15 PM
hahaha! that sounds like a great idea! Id pay for a comic like that! Looks like Van and Sp33dy have a lot of work ahead of them :p

Will be worth it but I reckon!

Dave R
06-11-06, 04:21 PM
4Shizzle you got skill !!

Dont forget 2 include Chuck Norris :)

ozstrider
06-11-06, 04:30 PM
That would be an awesome comic!! And true...drawing cars is hella tedious!!

Van, PM me if you want some more referances. I have some scans from a HK comic about car racing that a friend sent me a long time ago, some of them are really good.

van
06-11-06, 04:36 PM
Thanks man, PM sent!

Well I'm pretty keen on doing this, and if hacks like http://www.megatokyo.com can do it, I don't see why I can't. And surely it'd be the first car-based comic on the net!

Justin Fox
06-11-06, 04:50 PM
Fwoar!

doofus
06-11-06, 05:32 PM
van, can yu draw my car? aheaheah :P

very nice van, you sure have a talent! :D

van
06-11-06, 05:41 PM
I'm sure an S15 will make it into the comic at some point mate, you can pretend it's yours ;)

Thanks man :)

lite
06-11-06, 06:28 PM
DO IT, I'd read it!

lovesil
06-11-06, 07:43 PM
OMG...speedy & Babalouie's comment just cracked me up. :D

But seriously, you have good talent, Van! Do it and i'm sure everyone here will back you up!

Sp33dY
06-11-06, 08:02 PM
Van ... im up for it .. im 31337 at paintbrush!

http://www.sp33dy.com/stuff/ophae86yo.jpg

van
06-11-06, 08:12 PM
Hahahaha, brilliant!!

Sp33dY
06-11-06, 08:18 PM
FYI ... Fast 4s ... or was it Hot4s ... one of those had a ghey 1 page comic in the back of them for over a year!

van
06-11-06, 09:15 PM
They won't want to print mine, I'll be breaking plenty of copyright laws ;)

felixR
06-11-06, 09:19 PM
nice one van!! i like it...

bathurst-91
06-11-06, 10:35 PM
Im actually in the process of writing a manga that revolves around the car world :P (in a way).... its a work in progress ;)

I'm kinda probing as to find someone to draw it... =/

josh2.5
06-11-06, 10:40 PM
FYI ... Fast 4s ... or was it Hot4s ... one of those had a ghey 1 page comic in the back of them for over a year!

Oh god I had forgotten about that...why did you have to bring it back up! It was terrible! I dont know if im gonna be able to sleep now :x

sw33tr
07-11-06, 12:12 AM
just out of curiosity, whats with all these things about chuck norris

van
07-11-06, 12:47 AM
Bathurst: I'd be interested mate, but I'm pretty hung up on using the S30Z and basing it in Melbourne, haha. Otherwise I'd definitely be interested!

sw33tr: It's just one of those random fads mate, it's slowly passing ;)

VTECMACHINE
07-11-06, 01:08 AM
Amazin man! You have some awsome talent!

supernatural
07-11-06, 04:09 AM
damn!!! tats mad!! :shock:

Dave R
07-11-06, 08:36 AM
The chuck norris thing is only funny as it is just so funny....

I would send a link of Chuck Norris reading out the 'facts' himself but i dont whant 2 hijack....

josh2.5
07-11-06, 09:02 AM
I would send a link of Chuck Norris reading out the 'facts' himself but i dont whant 2 hijack....

Start a new thread yo! Viva La Chuck Norris!

Flawless
07-11-06, 12:35 PM
Who the hell is chuck norris??? :D

Looks like you've already built yourself a good fan base van. Now dissapoint them.. get drawing! :P

josh2.5
07-11-06, 12:42 PM
Who the hell is chuck norris??? :D

:shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.ideagrove.com/blog/uploaded_images/ChuckNorris2-793901.jpg

Btw sorry for the hijacking dude :oops:

Sp33dY
07-11-06, 12:49 PM
(the above pic was in hin Texas Ranger!)

LMAO .. how the hell can u NOT know Chuck Norris! Karate Champion / Actor / Top Bloke!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Norris

ebcd
07-11-06, 01:45 PM
DO IT, I'd read it!

x2 :)

[ekkY]
07-11-06, 02:00 PM
CMON

u should no 1 of bruce lee movies,

way of the dragon

where chuck fought bruce @ the end part

Alfadog
07-11-06, 03:36 PM
Believe it or not ... I couldn't find a picture of the Wangan Midnight S30Z on google ... :o

That's a really cool picture man , and I know I sound like a cock saying this but . . . the indicator repeaters shouldn't be there (they should be up next to the headlight), the rear reflector was only a US-spec thing, and it should say "Fairlady Z" rather than "Datsun" on the fender - though I have a feeling his car was debadged completely??

Sorry , it's awesome :D Let's see more please

van
07-11-06, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I actually drew the repeater there because that's where I like it, and if I can get my hands on a Z, that's where I'll be putting it. Heh :)

As for the Fairlady Z badging down the side, I forgot about it as I was tracing the picture. I traced Austin Hoke's 240Z, and he's got a Datsun badge there instead of the Fairlady Z badge.

kawasaki
07-11-06, 07:23 PM
do the comic! This is also my dream, just have to find the time to start drawing again. Make something abit more original tho instead of just going off the wangan theme.

Luc
07-11-06, 08:10 PM
i would love that on my wall.

VTECMACHINE
12-02-07, 04:50 PM
WTF is happening with this???

I want more progresssssss....

van
12-02-07, 05:04 PM
Well I told ya last week haha, but I guess I may as well post it here as well. I've been experiencing a much heavier workload this year, which has strangled my free time!

On the one hand, it's great news for me, because it means I'm getting work and making some progress with my design career. But on the other hand, it means I've got a lot less free time, and when I do get some time to myself, the last thing I want to do is slave over a sketchpad! So yeah, I'm struggling to find the time.

This comic is a huge project and not something that can be easily done by giving it half an hour here and there, so until I've got some real time to devote to it, it's not going to get far.

VTECMACHINE
12-02-07, 05:14 PM
not good enough in my books :)

Less sleep FTW... Get this thing rolling... i'm so eager to see ur talent shine!

Buddy
12-02-07, 05:24 PM
Van ... im up for it .. im 31337 at paintbrush!

http://www.sp33dy.com/stuff/ophae86yo.jpg

hahahahhahahahahaha classic

VTECMACHINE
12-02-07, 07:16 PM
priceless!!!