PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions/Feedback on Van's 240Z comic.

felixR
08-11-06, 12:04 AM
nice one van! u got skillz y0! :)

josh2.5
08-11-06, 12:06 AM
holy shit man! thats some awesome talent you got there!

once its done get that shit published it could go along way!

van
08-11-06, 12:08 AM
Ah I'm probably just gonna make it a webcomic I reckon. A lot of webcomics print books when they've got enough chapters done, and they make nice money out of that. But yeah, I'll make it a webcomic and just get everyone to spread the word eh!

Thanks for the props too lads :)

Stay tuned for more character art and maybe another shot of the S30Z too :D

Mike.V?!
08-11-06, 12:50 AM
You fucking shit. There had better be a decent FWD in this comic of yours.

Flawless
08-11-06, 02:10 AM
^^ lmfao!

Justin Fox
08-11-06, 07:39 AM
LOL too good Van too good.

Omawari_San
08-11-06, 07:48 AM
Nice! I wish I would have that much talent! Include a GC8 WRX!

Sp33dY
08-11-06, 08:36 AM
You fucking shit. There had better be a decent FWD in this comic of yours.

lmao ... x2!

Gorilla
08-11-06, 10:07 AM
Please let there be a black guy, and please dont let him be the one that dies like all other stories! haha

Awesome stuff man!

Sp33dY
08-11-06, 10:11 AM
Please let there be a black guy, and please dont let him be the one that dies like all other stories! haha
lol .. GOTTA have the token black guy! ... Bow Wow in Tokyo Drift :lol:

van
08-11-06, 10:15 AM
Hahah, well there aren't too many black guys in Melbourne, but I'm sure I can find a way to write one in. ;)

doofus
08-11-06, 10:35 AM
nice nice van, very.

still waiting for some dude in a s15 thou
hehe :P

Sp33dY
08-11-06, 10:43 AM
Hahah, well there aren't too many black guys in Melbourne, but I'm sure I can find a way to write one in. ;)

U kidding ? I used to see few Somalians in R33s/Silvias in Kensington when i lived nearby in Ascot Vale :P :lol:

Alfadog
08-11-06, 11:16 AM
man that's awesome !! Let's see some more cars :D

Bodgy Racing Developments
08-11-06, 11:17 AM
can't wait.

By why not instead of basing it in melborune, imagine up your own little city. No limitations of landscape then!

van
08-11-06, 11:39 AM
Yeah I thought about that, but there's something really appealing for me to base it in Melbourne... The idea of drawing all the Melbourne landmarks and stuff.

But that said, it's still very much in the early stages, so I may end up doing that!

[ekkY]
08-11-06, 12:04 PM
and thens add some people from interstate traveling to melbourne and have a tounge match against the 240 in melbourne for a pink slip match :P :lol:

van
08-11-06, 12:18 PM
Hahah, yeah no worries!

Sp33dY
08-11-06, 12:31 PM
Touge Yarra Boulevard! lol

]and thens add some people from interstate traveling to melbourne and have a tounge match against the 240 in melbourne for a pink slip match :P :lol:

LOLz ... a tongue match ........ that'd be interesting.

van
08-11-06, 12:50 PM
Oh man, I did about 40 laps of the "The Bouve" on my motorbike yesterday with some mates. Good fun! Noticed the police chopper was out doing aerial checks, so we had to slow down eventually to avoid detection hehe.

SUGA
08-11-06, 02:05 PM
van, your an incredible artist! can't wait to see more! keep up the awesome work!

van
08-11-06, 02:23 PM
Thank you :D

I'm working on the design of the main character right now, and I've drawn him sitting on the hood of the Z. It's looking okay!

van
08-11-06, 03:12 PM
Updated the first post with the black and white inks of Alex, the main character. :)

As usual, I used a lot of photo reference for the pose, so I can't take credit for that. The general style and clothing choices are all mine though!

Dave R
08-11-06, 03:22 PM
Sereasly we should get a sticky going purely for ur cartoons (like leave comments 2 the other threads) :) sereasly its goooood stuff man !

van
08-11-06, 03:23 PM
I might do that ay, we'll see. Would certainly make it a bit easier to organise!

Dave R
08-11-06, 03:25 PM
Probably best so we dont have 2 hunt down the pics... and just number em so we can comment on each 1 in a different thread ;)

Great work buddy !

josh2.5
08-11-06, 03:29 PM
Mate how do you colour them in? do you sketch them on paper and then scan them into illustrator or something like that?

lovesil
08-11-06, 04:37 PM
i reckon you should just base the comic on melbourne as you said, as this will save you too much unnecessary time on drawing up a whole imagination city.

josh2.5
08-11-06, 04:45 PM
i reckon you should just base the comic on melbourne as you said, as this will save you too much unnecessary time on drawing up a whole imagination city.

Yeah I feel the same way. Gives you a much more solid a base to work from IMO.

Also should give one of the charachters a new GTR. Some real 'huggy bear shit' haha :P The driver could know some people who know some people...or something along those lines haha

van
08-11-06, 04:46 PM
Shifty: Yeah I think I will, I'll split this thread up soon :)

Josh: Sketched in blue pencil (blue pencil is easier to get rid of digitally than grey pencil, since grey is close to black, and black is what I want to keep!). Then I ink it with a brush pen, and sometimes a really fine .35mm nib tech pen if I need to do something really detailed. Then I scan it into Photoshop and colour it. :)

Lovesil: Good thinking mate, good thinking.

I was also thinking that I could have one city called Selbourne or Mydney, and make it a mix of Sydney and Melbourne hehe. But I dunno, too complicated maybe!

Flawless
08-11-06, 05:14 PM
Nice going van, loving your artwork.
You never know where this may lead you in the future.
Good luck dude!

van
08-11-06, 05:15 PM
I'm keeping my hopes low, hehe. It's a labour of love for me, much the same as JDMST is for Justin. If something happens to come of it in the future, even better!

Man, imagine if they made a movie of it! Hahaha. Wishful thinking eh!

ruskie
08-11-06, 05:18 PM
I must say it's looking good. Keep up the good work

Akio - Alex, heh. Are we going to be seeing a Reina GTR of sorts?

van
08-11-06, 05:22 PM
Ooo someone knows his Wangan ;)

As for an equivalent to Reina's R32 GT-R, it's certainly possible!

Hey guys, what do you think his number plate should be?

Anything you can think of, as long as it's clever, inoffensive (he's not an aggressive or remotely egotistical character, he's quite friendly and even a bit shy), and non-intimidating (like RACE-ME or CUL8R).

Preferably something to do with the car itself, but eh. Let's see what you've got!

Luc
08-11-06, 05:25 PM
KIKBUT

van
08-11-06, 05:25 PM
Oh shit!

I Was Just searching Around the net and came across this nice bit of info:

11-7-06 (4:58AM EDT)---- Wangan Midnight Anime To Debut Spring 2007
Based on the long running street racing manga series created by Michiharu Kusunoki, a decision has finally been made to adapt Wangan Midnight to animation. Look for the project to manifest in consumable form sometime next spring in Japan. The announcement came in last week's edition of Kodansha's Young Magazine where the manga has serialized since 1993. No details on the project were mentioned besides the the sole expression of intent to commence with the animation. 36 collected manga volumes now exist on the market. A number of related video games have been created in the past which have featured in-game anime sequences. Developer Genki is now working on a new PS3 version game for release in 2007. Additionally in 1994, 1997 and 2000 a series of live action Wangan Midnight movies were produced based on the manga storyline. Similar to Initial D, the hero, Akio, races a Japanese classic sportscar, the Fairlady Z (S30). Unlike Initial D's Touge hillside drift racing focus, Wangan Midnight concentrates on Shutoko "Expressway" racing along the actual long Wangan (Bayside) stretch of highway between Tokyo and Yokohama. Real street racing occurs along this stretch virtually every weekend and down the long straight a high horsepower and properly geared car capable of over 200mph is required to even begin to compete with top dogs.

source- http://www.animenewsservice.com/

Man. It was okay when it was nothing more than a Japanese manga with no translated equivalent here in the west, but if they're going to make an anime, it's going to become a huge property. I'm gonna have to change the story of my comic! I'll keep using the Z, but I guess I'm gonna have to move any particularly obvious references to Wangan Midnight :(

Luc
08-11-06, 05:28 PM
bloody wapanese and their otaku obsession with buying everything and adapting all aspects of japanese culture into western society.

ruskie
08-11-06, 05:33 PM
Yes, I know my Wangan Midnight quite well. Been reading ever since I could a translated copy, also playing the games ever since they came out.

I think it's already been huge, but it'll definitely get much bigger with that.

Aye! No reason to change the plot/car/characeters, just remember that many famous musicians were cover bands initially. Why can't the same be applicable to artist with such talent as yourself.

van
08-11-06, 05:49 PM
Well this is something I just posted on another forum:

Originally, I was tempted to make it something of a alternate-reality version of Wangan Midnight. Within my story, Akio would be too scared to drive the DevilZ anymore after his first crash in it, so he decides to sell it. That's when a guy here in my local Melbourne (Australia) spots it for sale on a Japanese auction site, and quickly snaps it up. He imports it to Australia, and so the legend of the DevilZ begins again. I had decided that since there was no western licence for Wangan Midnight (not including the video games), I was content to run the risk that comes with copyright infringement.

But alas, with the news of a brand new Wangan Midnight anime being released next year, I've decided that references to WM would be a bad idea!

So. I'm still going to do my comic, because I've been a big fan of the S30Z since high school (and I'm 26 now), but it won't have anything to do with Wangan Midnight. The main character will still have imported his car directly from Japan, but it won't be the DevilZ. It will still be an S30Z though!

MFN-MAN
09-11-06, 01:16 AM
love it...love the pics...the concepts...love WMMT (god only knows how much money i've spent on the games lolz)

good luck with it! i'd definately purchase a published copy of the comic if u brought em out! 8)

van
09-11-06, 07:47 PM
Updated the Progress thread with the coloured version of Alex, the main character. :)

MFN-MAN
10-11-06, 02:41 AM
If going by my suggestions for comic names you could have

WARIOR

Z FURY

ZCRET (secret with a z?)

Good luck Van :)

import_bible
10-11-06, 02:54 PM
looks great man, let me know if u need anything from me resources.

van
10-11-06, 06:01 PM
Word man, thanks!

VTECMACHINE
10-11-06, 06:15 PM
ZOLTAN

Bodgy Racing Developments
11-11-06, 01:33 AM
kinda off topic but. Anyone here played Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero? The last rival owns a Z. Got a worked one i take down wangan. Has like 900PS power and weighs just a bit over 800kg.

Mad game!!!

Dave R
17-11-06, 11:45 AM
OMG !

i found the coolest pic! maybe it could be like where ur charicter keeps his car under like a blanket in hiding :)

http://spacing.ca/images/warehouse_DR.jpg

That warehouse just looks cool :)

Babalouie
17-11-06, 11:56 AM
Man, imagine if they made a movie of it! Hahaha. Wishful thinking eh!

If that happens then the role of the charismatic MX5 driver should be played by Jet Li :D

van
17-11-06, 12:14 PM
Very nice Shifty, cheers!

Baba: A fat Jet Li, right? ;)

Babalouie
17-11-06, 02:55 PM
Baba: A fat Jet Li, right? ;)

Noooo....don't make me the fat/funny character. That character always dies :D

VTECMACHINE
17-11-06, 02:59 PM
hahahaha!

VTECMACHINE
17-11-06, 06:18 PM
Hey dude... looking at your last sketches. Veryyy nice. Just one thing, does the 'bad' guy have to have a sameri sword? How many people in melb have a sameri sword? Or are you thinking up your own little world... cos if you are, leave the sword.

Flawless
17-11-06, 06:19 PM
There's toe in the last pic :D

hahaha, nice work van!

van
17-11-06, 06:27 PM
VTEC: Haha yeah, it is Melbourne, but it's my own slightly twisted version of it. Almost like an alternate reality. It's pretty much identical, but the people are a bit more eccentric in their personalities, in the way they dress, in the lives they lead, etc. Makes for a more colourful story I think. :)

Flawless: Heh! Yeah I was gonna leave that out, but fuck. It's an adult comic! :)

Thanks guys!

VTECMACHINE
17-11-06, 06:38 PM
ohh ok sweeettt!!! That sounds awsome man! Hurry up and get it going already :) Can't wait to read the first issue.

van
17-11-06, 06:41 PM
It's a long process mate, lots of thinking and doublethinking to be done. And the drawing process is a long one too. This isn't my fulltime job after all, and I don't want to rush it just so that I can get the pages out quicker, ya know? Still got a long way to go unfortunately. But it'll be worth it!

VTECMACHINE
17-11-06, 11:09 PM
Yeah I know... hence the smiley face in above post. :P Good luck mannn!!

Babalouie
18-11-06, 04:05 AM
VTEC: Haha yeah, it is Melbourne, but it's my own slightly twisted version of it. Almost like an alternate reality. It's pretty much identical, but the people are a bit more eccentric in their personalities, in the way they dress, in the lives they lead, etc. Makes for a more colourful story I think. :)

Absolutely. If you made it really accurate, the characters would all get busted for doing 61 in a 60 zone and get defected for having exposed intake air pods :D

Create an alternate automotive reality that we'd LIKE to live in, you know where we all gather in multistorey car parks filled with hot asian chicks and we drift race up the spiral ramp (er....just as an example!)

Babalouie
25-11-06, 01:27 AM
Could I make a coupla leeetle suggestions? It's your comic and all and of course you got a lot more put into the characters and all but anyway:

1) Role of Cops. I reckon the treatment of cops in your panel 1~6 is a little too *real* (I'm sure that was the idea tho). Have you thought about maybe changing the role of the cops in the comic, to a cooler one? I mean ES:FEZ is about an alternate petrolhead reality that we would all like to live in, but do so vicariously thru reading the comic, so it doesn't have to be real, just cool.

Anyway, say instead of being car-illiterate, how about making the cops car savvy? So instead of the main racer characters blowing away cops in a chase, the cops actually can drive and give them a run for their money. I reckon drawing a Commo SS in cop regalia in full drift mode in a chase would be hella cool. You could also take it into more fun directions, like say a special task force of cops who are equipped with supercharged Monaros or something to catch the street racers. Or you could even have an undercover cop (say you could name that character Brian) :D Just a thought, you know that might take ES:FEZ into cooler plot directions and give you more scope for the story.

I liked the semi-outlaw vibe of the MFP cops in the original Mad Max for example, where the Mel Gibson and Goose characters were just mad petrolheads in uniform.

So maybe something like this?

Zoom out to discover the hand belongs to a Police Officer, and he's standing at the driver's side door of Alex's car, licence in hand, looking down at Alex. Alex has a nervous and pleasant and helpful look. Alex is driving an old Corolla AE85.

Police Officer: I heard a car going full noise in fourth thru the bottom of the gorge. Wouldn't happen to be you, now would it?
Alex: Sorry officer, I'm not much of a driver, it wouldn't have been me. Also, this old car is a piece of crap.

PANEL Three

Still zoomed out, we see the officer gesturing toward the car.

Police Officer: Hmm...4AGE, coilovers, JDM disc rear end, cams sound pretty big. What you got in there....288s? You got mod papers for all this?
Alex: Mate, I wouldn't know. This just gets me from A.....to B.

PANEL Four

Police Officer: (looking off into the distance) Listen, we get a lot of your type going thru the gorge around here, and three of your old mates have smeared themselves along the rock walls this week.
Alex: Yeah...I appreciate the.....concern. Thank you.
Police Officer: (stares silently)

PANEL Five

Now we see Shane, Alex's friend and passenger, through Alex's window.

Shane: Sorry officer, my mate here is a dickhead but I'll keep him in line. These guys with the little cars always need to prove themselves. (grins)
Alex: (shoots dirty look)

PANEL Six

Police Officer bends down to see Shane, whom he hadn't noticed until now. We can see all three faces in this shot.

Police Officer: Make sure that you do. If I see either of you clowns so much as breathe over the speed limit, your car's all......mine. Understood?

The next page will be one full-page frame of the officer getting back into his car, and wheelspinning off into the distance in a haze of tyre smoke.

Alex and Shane sit silently in its wake. The Endless Spirit: Final Evolution Z logo will be at the top, with an introductory paragraph and a thank you to the various folks who've helped so far. It'll probably have a couple of voice balloons above the car with Shane asking "Lucky thing he caught you in this instead of...." and Alex interrupts him with "No....no one catches the Devil Z."

Babalouie
25-11-06, 01:33 AM
Secondly, with picking up the car and racing the Supra, I think it's a little too easy.

I reckon it would be more interesting if the DemonZ had a flawed character, something that Alex struggles to get over. So say something like a combination of huge power but twitchy handling that Alex finds it hard to tame. That way it gives you scope to make the car more of a rounded character in that its flaws and traits can add to the plot here and there.

So say instead of wasting the Supra in a drag race, the Supra takes on the DemonZ in a race thru a winding road. DemonZ powers ahead early to a ridiculous lead but Alex starts to find the going tough and spins out. Supra drives by slowly past the stationary Z and rubs salt in the wound by talking down to Alex ("Learn to walk before you can run, rookie!" "That looks like too much car for you, pussy!" etc).

I think it sets the scene a little more interestingly? Also it opens up lots of plot opportunities for say Alex to start questioning his driving skill, and things like taking the car to various tuners to work on the suspension (in taming the car's setup you can introduce a cool tuner character, etc).

Just a thought. :)

doofus
25-11-06, 02:51 AM
damn, the bad guys chick looks like a man, her shoulders are too wide! and her ass, someone say "booty!!"

other then that, everything looks great! love the work!, esp. the side view of the car. looks great!

van
25-11-06, 09:52 AM
Baba, you're amazing man! You should be writing the damn thing :P

I'll have a good think about it, that's for sure. I really like the idea of that particular cop being a bit of a clown, but I also love your idea. Shit. Decisions, decisions! You scripted the dialogue really well too, have you done this sort of thing before?

As for the Demon Z, it's a tough one. What you described is almost identical to the characteristics of the Devil Z in Wangan - which is generally fine, since this is all one massive homage to that comic - but I don't want it to be identical, you know?

I think what I'll do is have him kick the Supra's arse just the way he did, and let his confidence get overblown as a result. Then, later on, the car proves itself to be a handful and Alex starts to question his ability, et cetera. That's what I'm thinking right now anyway, but I've been awake for 7 and a half minutes, so who knows. ;)

I LOVE the idea of the cops being badarse drivers and slightly outlawish in their overzealous pursuit of street racers. That's definitely gonna happen, thank you! Man, the idea of drawing a VE SS cop car screaming around a corner... Heck yeah!

You're amazing man, I gotta keep you around!

Babalouie
25-11-06, 10:04 AM
OIC, I had no idea that's what Wangan Midnight is about :) Honestly, I simply thought that a 30yr old car with heaps of modern turbo hp would simply be a bitch to drive :)

Well I reckon it's not quite as interesting, but you could inject some "Millenium Falcon" character into DemonZ by making it fast but unreliable. So the plot point is tha he's constantly having to fix it, and take it to various workshops for advice. I just wonder if maybe it's a bit limiting to have it blow intercooler hoses off every time he gets into the lead of a race :D

Yeah I'm kinda a frustrated novelist so this is lot of fun to me :)

van
25-11-06, 10:57 AM
Haha that's another possibility!

van
25-11-06, 02:06 PM
I'm gonna add something a little "out there". You know how all the cars in Need For Speed: Underground seem to have those badass communicators? Combining GPS maps, email, instant messaging, and voice chat into the one in-car system? I'm going to include that in my comic. I love the idea of them all being able to talk to each other and locate each other, almost like a hypercrazy version of CB radio.

I mean really, it's not that "out there". The technology exists today, it's merely a matter of years before it's available to us all. So yeah, I think I'll include that!

Babalouie
25-11-06, 07:48 PM
I'm gonna add something a little "out there". You know how all the cars in Need For Speed: Underground seem to have those badass communicators? Combining GPS maps, email, instant messaging, and voice chat into the one in-car system? I'm going to include that in my comic. I love the idea of them all being able to talk to each other and locate each other, almost like a hypercrazy version of CB radio.

I mean really, it's not that "out there". The technology exists today, it's merely a matter of years before it's available to us all. So yeah, I think I'll include that!

You could just have everyone carry cool mobile phones that do that. In Japan AFAIK there are mobiles that do all that, and you can watch TV on them too :D

Luc
27-11-06, 02:58 AM
van, can you make up like a cell? i dunno what you call it, but if you made up something that was on acetate, or whatever, i'd love to have it framed and put up in my new living room.

van
27-11-06, 06:59 AM
Well cells are generally for animation, not for comics. I can make one, but it'd be a bit weird since it's just a comic and not a cartoon haha.

Alanski
28-11-06, 01:31 PM
loving it!!

Dave R
28-11-06, 01:57 PM
Looking good ! (Y)

aslong as there are no chromies :lol:

VTECMACHINE
28-11-06, 02:08 PM
awww I so can't wait for this!!!! Draw me sumthing!!!! hehehe I want some room bling!

Jing
08-01-07, 04:06 PM
no asian character no care

:p

i do find it quite funny that the main characters face looks like the z espicially the eyes. Its like the car personified

damn
20-01-07, 01:27 PM
It's all TOO good!

Babalouie
12-04-07, 10:49 PM
I like the first page.... :D

van
12-04-07, 10:51 PM
Thanks man! Very rough sketch, as first drafts always are. I'll be redrawing it in Manga Studio Pro, once I've mastered the program a little better!

Babalouie
12-04-07, 10:52 PM
So it's gonna take place in a fictitious country? Is it in the present or are you entertaining notions that it's in another time period?

McCoey
12-04-07, 11:00 PM
Good stuff van, mrs kijima was blown away, she also reckons the bad guy needs dark hair instead of blonde.

van
12-04-07, 11:21 PM
Baba: At this point, I think it'll take place in the present, in a fictional country almost identical to Australia, but with various differences. Basically it's an excuse for me to draw whatever scenery I like, without people saying "huh? There's no snow-capped mountain visible from Melbourne!" hehe. The rest of the world outside of the fictional country will be as normal though. Basically this fictional country will replace Australia, but Japan and the US and Europe - and the others - will all be the same.

It'll be set in the present, but I quite liked your idea about certain roads being funded/administered by corporations and having their own rules, so I might include that in some way.

Kijima: Thanks man! Haha dark hair she says? We'll see :D

Babalouie
12-04-07, 11:36 PM
Baba: At this point, I think it'll take place in the present, in a fictional country almost identical to Australia, but with various differences. Basically it's an excuse for me to draw whatever scenery I like, without people saying "huh? There's no snow-capped mountain visible from Melbourne!" hehe. The rest of the world outside of the fictional country will be as normal though. Basically this fictional country will replace Australia, but Japan and the US and Europe - and the others - will all be the same.

It'll be set in the present, but I quite liked your idea about certain roads being funded/administered by corporations and having their own rules, so I might include that in some way.

Kijima: Thanks man! Haha dark hair she says? We'll see :D

Ok, well how about having it take place in Australia, but have it in a fictitious city/town? I mean, draw your own mini-city, with Wangans, touge, lots of places to cruise and hardpark.

I got some ideas, I'll send em to ya :D

chuingbeans
18-05-07, 06:57 PM
dam...its almost like Wangan Midnight. I will definatly be keeping my eye got for updates.

McCoey
19-05-07, 12:02 AM
nah, van is a soft cock. I was talking to him about his comic, he didnt seem all that excited about the prospect.

C'mon van, didnt you say you were going to make a webcomic last year some time? It would be sad for you not to use your talent.

chuingbeans
19-05-07, 12:17 AM
yeah, van should get behind it...however if he dont got the time then I guess he dont have the time. Would be a great comic/manga if it were to turn into a proper webcomic though, provided the dialogue isn't crap :P

Come on van, get behind it and start getting those chapters out there.

vtec-NA.th
22-05-07, 12:20 PM
it looks awsome so far! you got talent van!! AUSTRALIA'S GOT TALENT! ._.

chuingbeans
08-06-07, 08:29 PM
just a random question. Friend would like to know what tablet you used, and how much it would cost. If its expensive, could you recommend any sub-$100 tablets?

van
08-06-07, 08:58 PM
I use a Wacom Graphire 2 (6x8 inches, pretty small compared to the full range available), which is pretty old now. The Graphire 4 is the current model in the Graphire series, and that's about $200-250 bucks for the 6x8.

Tell him to jump on eBay and the various classifieds sites and type in Wacom (the brand) or Graphire (the model) :)

Couldn't recommend any other brands, I don't know much about them!

Jing
08-06-07, 10:22 PM
come on van i mean thats just subpar work right there :p

dc5r168
11-06-07, 01:59 AM
looks awesome!!

cant wait till you have done a bit more!!!

deez
13-06-07, 11:07 AM
Top work Van, looks superb! Aus is gonna get its own racing manga!

Alfadog
14-06-07, 07:28 PM
Street fins with low-profile tyres on a Torana?!

This is another dimension!

doofus
15-06-07, 05:16 PM
i just had a look in your progress section, very very impressive work van, you are awesome dude!
:D

van
15-06-07, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys!

Lachie: Hahah, I thought they looked better than the standard rims, what can I say hehe.

Levos1
15-06-07, 05:59 PM
Here's a quick progress shot of Derrick - one of the other characters in the comic (and he's no friend of Alex's!) - leaning against his Z-Tune R34.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u139/vanmonken/derrick-progress.jpg

If you want to comment, please (pretty please!) leave suggestions and feedback in this thread (http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?t=677). Thank you!!

FINALLLY One of these street racers wear PUMASSS!!!!!

van
15-06-07, 06:09 PM
Hahahaha. I take great pride in drawing recognisable shoes ;)

[ekkY]
16-06-07, 12:51 PM
does the good guy has an annoying best friend aswell?

van
16-06-07, 02:20 PM
Yes, the guy in the very first post of the progress thread. The one I asked people not to post in ;)

Levos1
19-06-07, 11:30 AM
Hahahaha. I take great pride in drawing recognisable shoes ;)

Yeah man! You need to change the main guys shoes!!!
He cant be a street racer with those "clogs" of skater boy shoes!!!! No one can drive in those things!!

Sp33dY
19-06-07, 11:36 AM
Dunlop Volleys FTW :P

van
19-06-07, 11:47 AM
Ahahah Levos, point taken!

CoffeeBoss
27-06-07, 07:26 PM
Van,

Just checking out the progress thread, i think this is an awesome project!

Just noticed the main characters friend is wearing the Adidas Adicolor 'Dark Horse' Edition shoes - uber cool. And a nice comic AND JDM reference, one for the trainspotters?

And being that the main car is the 'Devil Z', is it just a spooky conincidence that the progress thread is Thread # 666?!?
*cue Twilight Zone / X Files themes*

van
27-06-07, 07:34 PM
Ahaha, finally someone noticed the shoes!

haha yeah, I mentioned the thread number in the progress thread. A coincidence, honestly!

chuingbeans
27-06-07, 09:04 PM
I think its more fate then coincidence. It was going to be thread #666 from the beginning whether you liked it or not :P

Garth Ivers
18-09-07, 01:01 PM
any update van van?

van
18-09-07, 01:56 PM
None at all mate, I'd say this is about as dead as dead gets. It occurred to me not long ago that I need to pull my finger out of my backside and get my design career properly on track. When I'm not doing homework or working on grandJDM, I'm filling my portfolio with the best design work I can put together. That's why I've been looking for writers and photographers to collaborate with! :)

I really want to do the comic, but I also really don't want to be a brokeass mofo for the rest of my life either. Between design and the comic, design is the one that's going to pay the bills! :(

Garth Ivers
18-09-07, 09:16 PM
true but the comic had such potential

if i win lotto, ill fund your comic :D
haha

van
18-09-07, 10:12 PM
Haha, feel free!