PDA

View Full Version : Van's comic needs a name! -- Congrats to BabaLouie, the winner!

van
09-11-06, 11:36 PM
Justin: Sorry to be flooding the Off Topic area with threads about my comic, but I'm trying to keep certain aspects of it separate from each other. :(

Okay guys and girlies, my comic needs a name. Over time, I intend to give a lot of reader involvement and interactivity to the comic, from helping me decide the direction of the story, to deciding which model of car will be the main opponent in each issue, etc. But for now... I need a name!

We all know and love the Japanese manga titles like Initial D, Wangan Midnight, Over Rev!, etc. They're silly names, but at the same time they're endearing, unique, and fun.

I want that feeling.

So suggestions like "Rad JDM Racin' Dudes!" and "Xtreme Racing" won't get very far.

Now, it's a 240Z-centric story, but the name doesn't have to revolve around the Z. The name "Initial D" has nothing specifically to do with the AE86, nor do the words "Wangan Midnight" have anything to do with the Devil Z. So feel free to come up with anything silly but unique. UNIQUE!

THE PRIZE. Yeah, there's a prize. I'm not rolling in money though, so it's not cash or a gift certificate or an iPod, damn y'all! All I can offer is for your car - or the car of your choice - to be the first car that features in the story other than the S30Z.

So if you own a nice car and want to see it featured in my comic so you can brag to all your buddies (haha, yeah like you'd ever do that!), here's your ticket to success. ;)

Please keep this thread on track guys, I don't wanna filter through irrelevant posts to get to your entries.

Cheers!

UPDATE!

Well, we've got a winner! Congratulations to BabaLouie for coming up with Endless Spirit: Final Evolution Z. Expect to see his car featured in the comic!

bogan
09-11-06, 11:39 PM
Off Frimits

van
09-11-06, 11:42 PM
Okay, that's an example of something I wouldn't use.

I'm after serious suggestions please, folks.

doofus
09-11-06, 11:48 PM
Midnight Chaos
LOL

i tried van, i tried..
:(

Babalouie
09-11-06, 11:52 PM
How about Z: FINAL EVOLUTION?

VTECMACHINE
09-11-06, 11:52 PM
JDM Project

Roadster
10-11-06, 12:06 AM
JDMST: the beginnning?

LOL

bogan
10-11-06, 12:12 AM
ummm.... My suggestion WAS serious. It's silly and fun, like you asked for in your post.

Another suggestion

Redline run

VTECMACHINE
10-11-06, 12:20 AM
Mountain shift

Brian_J
10-11-06, 12:35 AM
lol, wouldnt wanna know what will happen if the car was ff :p

MFN-MAN
10-11-06, 01:33 AM
Without knowing really what the story is about or background of any real characters it'd be hard for us to come up with a suitable name...some of the suggestions are intersting though :D

Here are a few of mine:

Urban Street Warriors

Tarmac Warriors

Z Fury: The story of...

Good luck Van :)

Babalouie
10-11-06, 01:51 AM
Final Evolution Z

Omawari_San
10-11-06, 02:37 AM
Just give it the name of your main character. Simple but nice.

[ekkY]
10-11-06, 03:22 AM
legend of speed
underground racer
racer
the highway
reving
legend of Z
the battle
endless battle

black200
10-11-06, 08:00 AM
fast and furious four: canyon runz

lol

van
10-11-06, 08:08 AM
MFN-MAN: Good point, haha.

I'm really liking some of these suggestions guys, keep 'em coming!

lovesil
10-11-06, 08:16 AM
I agree it's abit better for us to think of names if we had a brief idea of the storyline.

Anyway, here's mine:

1) The wheels of a Z
2) The life of a racer
3) Start your engine

Or we can name the title according to WORDS like:

4) Velocity And Neil (= VAN, plus the main character's called Neil)
5) Just Da Man (JDM)

*Now.....where's my prize :D *

Evan
10-11-06, 08:24 AM
Smuff Coneius Fandango

Justin Fox
10-11-06, 09:24 AM
Some "Z" ideas:

A-Z / A 2 Z / A to Z

Form Z

Z-Plus / Z+

Z-Drive

Z-Tune

Power Over

Babalouie
10-11-06, 09:48 AM
Final Evolution Z

kula
10-11-06, 10:02 AM
Midnight Tuning
Tuning StyleZ

MFN-MAN
10-11-06, 11:23 AM
Yo Van...what are you're favourites so far...put up a poll dude if you want!

van
10-11-06, 11:24 AM
Yeah I plan on putting a poll up, but I'm gonna leave it till the end of the day. :)

Alfadog
10-11-06, 11:25 AM
AUZ TUNE

NIGHT DRIVERS

M RACE TUNE <- (M for Melbourne , would be nice to have some Aussie influence in the name since that's what it is!)

M & Z

MELBOURNE MIDNIGHT (how close do you wanna go to a lawsuit? :P)

M STREETERS

LEGEND OF Z MACHINE

SUPER AUZ RACERS

TUNING M SPEC

:D

bogan
10-11-06, 11:57 AM
Z Redline
Oz Limits
Royal Z
Z Class
Z way to the highway
The Z in Oz

Justin Fox
10-11-06, 12:01 PM
O Z

lol.

van
10-11-06, 12:05 PM
Haha, there's a lot of focus on the Z here, remember there doesn't have to be! Not that I'm not liking what I'm seeing, but don't go feeling limited to it eh :)

bogan
10-11-06, 12:21 PM
Road Runner
Redline spec
Blur spec
Royal Blur
I Redline
I Run
I Battle

Garth Ivers
10-11-06, 12:49 PM
Spirit Z

Z rEVOLUTION

i dunno
borred

VTECMACHINE
10-11-06, 02:23 PM
BMM - Best motoring melbourne

Justin Fox
10-11-06, 02:27 PM
Battle Royale

Battle Mode

Constant Battle

[ekkY]
10-11-06, 02:37 PM
compact battle

highway of Z

rage of war

rage of Z

empire Z

battle highway

endless speed

thunderdome

thuderspeed

eXtreme ricer

ruskie
10-11-06, 02:48 PM
The Highway/Wangan Chapter
Metropolitan Runner
Ruler of Roppon-gi
Legendary Z
Highway Emperor
The Legendary Racer

Babalouie
10-11-06, 02:55 PM
Final Evolution Z

ozstrider
10-11-06, 03:45 PM
Z Battle: Oz

Being in australia and all.

VTECMACHINE
10-11-06, 03:51 PM
zctasy

There's a number plate for you Van.. ZCTA5Y
ZCT45Y

or T45TYZ - tastyz

van
10-11-06, 05:11 PM
Alright guys, I've just had a good read through all of the posts, and while I have to confess that none of them made me fall in love, I have compiled a list of the words I like the sound of, which I've pulled from various posts in this thread.

I'm sorry that none of them so far have grabbed me overly, and I don't want to be too fussy, but at the end of the day; this name is going to stick with the comic, and I'm hoping the comic is going to last a long time. So I need the name to be something I'll always love, you know?

Anyway, here's the list! Maybe it'll help with suggestions :)

Evolution
Project
Final
Legend
Tune
Night
Battle
Spirit
Mode
Endless

Also, Bogan's suggestion of Z Redline got me thinking of "Zedline", which has some appeal to me, though I'm not sure yet. That doesn't mean I want the name to have references to the car in it, I just liked the sound of that one in particular. Like I said before, it doesn't have to hav anything to do with the make and model of the car!

VTECMACHINE
10-11-06, 05:14 PM
* Project Z hehehe
* Project Mu
* Zee's day out : The picnic

Alfadog
10-11-06, 05:17 PM
:o

Evolution Project Final Legend Tune Night Battle Spirit Mode Endless !!!

:lol:

You're the only one who really knows what this comic is going to be about and the main themes, so it's only natural to be picky!

I just do think it should have something to do with Aus/Melbourne as it is - from what I can gather anyway - an "Australian take on Japanese street racing".

P.S. Nobody with a Z would sit on the fender like that! Ouch. One of the reasons why the early S30's were very light was that the metal used was very thin. They dent very easily. My mechanic made a nice big dent in my fender while leaning over.............

Babalouie
10-11-06, 05:34 PM
Well to be a TRUE "JDM name" it has to kinda not make sense, have a disjointed imagery and be gramattically dodgy.

So how about
Endless Spirit: Final Evolution Z

van
10-11-06, 05:39 PM
P.S. Nobody with a Z would sit on the fender like that! Ouch. One of the reasons why the early S30's were very light was that the metal used was very thin. They dent very easily. My mechanic made a nice big dent in my fender while leaning over.............

Oh come on man, it's a comic, there's no reality in comics :P

[ekkY]
10-11-06, 05:40 PM
lol babs u and ur final evolution Z :P

u really wants it to be call that aye

Babalouie
10-11-06, 05:41 PM
]lol babs u and ur final evolution Z :P

u really wants it to be call that aye

It's the name that ownz....cmon admit it :D :D

import_bible
10-11-06, 05:47 PM
this might be a bit corny but i think it would best to leave the name at the end when you have everythign laid out. i like it when a name basically somes up a story or has a hidden meaning that you or i would not understand until reading the story.

Sp33dY
10-11-06, 05:53 PM
Well to be a TRUE "JDM name" it has to kinda not make sense, have a disjointed imagery and be gramattically dodgy.

Like ...

Happy Z-Tune Cloud Riders ........... kinda like Monkey Magic but Not!

van
10-11-06, 05:59 PM

So how about

Dude, I actually really like that. Consider it the front-runner.

Luc
11-11-06, 12:32 AM
Evolution
Project
Final
Legend
Tune
Night
Battle
Spirit
Mode
Endless

I know that you like those words,

Manifest 240

MFN-MAN
11-11-06, 02:37 AM
maybe it's just me...but i wouldnt put the word evolution in the title...to me it relates a little too much to the mitsubishi evolution (well thats what i think of anyway)... :?

Middle Man
11-11-06, 07:41 AM
Evolution
Project
Final
Legend
Tune
Night
Battle
Spirit
Mode
Endless

Night Warrior(s)
Legend(s) of the Night
Spirits of the Night
Mountain Spirits
Final Tune
Midnight Tune(rs)
Midnight Legends
Or.........The legend Evolution doing battle in the night after its final tune on high boost mode with endless brake pads :lol:

van
11-11-06, 08:44 AM
Middle Man, there's some really good options there, I'm thinking about a few of them!

MFN-MAN: Good point, though I'm not overly worried. Even Subuaru offers an "Evolution" version of the WRX haha.

Babalouie
11-11-06, 10:46 AM
maybe it's just me...but i wouldnt put the word evolution in the title...to me it relates a little too much to the mitsubishi evolution (well thats what i think of anyway)... :?

In a funny way I reckon that actually makes it *more* appropriate :)

If you walk into a Japanese DVD shop and see a manga video with a name like say "Neon Genesis Evangelion", the title is not descriptive at all, and you have to flip over the DVD cover to see if it's about robots, drifting, or (quite often) manga pr0n :D

JDM cartoon names are picked not based on meaning, but because they are a cool-sounding string of English words :D D

bathurst-91
11-11-06, 02:04 PM
240Z: A Road Odyssey?

:P

Alfadog
11-11-06, 02:09 PM
lol how about

Z Evolution Odyssey WRX GTR ! !

or

SPIRIT LEGEND
SPIRIT OF Z
NIGHT PROJECT / NIGHT PROJECT Z
ENDLESS FINAL
FINAL LIMIT
FINAL SPIRIT
BATTLE MODE Z

denka
11-11-06, 03:25 PM
whhaatt about,

Winding Road: Battle Spec Z

cooling
13-11-06, 12:50 AM
-kami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kami)240
-swift spirit(ed/s)
-shifting spirits?
-battle tunes
-urge (as in surge, surges. but also as in S is for: speed, strive, spirit, sprint, smoke, sirens, sex I don't knowwwwwwwwww)

this makes me feel a lot lamer than i usually feel. which is saying alot. thesaurus.com is your friend. so are metaphors, symbols & word plays.

it definately would be easier with a sypnosis, or brief plot outline. :)

VTECMACHINE
13-11-06, 01:41 AM
-battle project
-Sprint (something)
-touge sprint
-touge evolution
-battle mountain ?¿
-vivid mountain
-Project Mu lol.

Dunno why... but I loveeee JDM project

import_bible
13-11-06, 05:51 AM
winding road sounds pretty sweet

denka
13-11-06, 08:42 AM
yup, totally agree with above post :wink:

It doesn't have to have the battle spec part :P

shonen
14-11-06, 10:20 AM
hmm dont know if this has been said before..

But is it an online comic ? or is it going to be published ?

If its an online thing I think maybe....

e-Motion ? or something along those lines..

:P

josh2.5
14-11-06, 10:27 AM

So how about

Dude, I actually really like that. Consider it the front-runner.

oh i like that one!

or how about some cool runnings style...

'feel the rythm, feel the ride, come on now, its wangan time!'

narada
14-11-06, 11:59 AM
EFD Z - "Endless Fast Desire Zed"

hows that for JDMlish

lovesil
14-11-06, 12:47 PM
wait wait.....got a idea....since its based in oz, we got to have some aussie name like "G'Day Z Mate" Or "Oi Oi":D

damn, i'm so gonna get flamed for these :D

van
16-11-06, 10:07 PM
Whatcha think of this, folks?

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l144/friendipity/esfez_logo.gif

Needs some random Kanji characters eh ;)

Dave R
16-11-06, 10:19 PM
I think its good :)

Just a thought... maybe the 'Z' should look like it is tyre marks... if u know what i mean :) i always thought that kinda thing looked cool... hehehehe

van
16-11-06, 10:28 PM
Good thinking man, I'll play around with that idea. The only problem is that tyre marks will be hard to replicate when the image is made smaller, they'll just look like crappy little squiggles that are too hard to make out. I think so, anyway. I'll play with it and see what happens. :)

Dave R
16-11-06, 10:29 PM
Yer, i think it a cool idea... and maybe the tyre marks can lead 2 a pic of the Zed :)

Babalouie
16-11-06, 11:24 PM
Whatcha think of this, folks?

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l144/friendipity/esfez_logo.gif

Needs some random Kanji characters eh ;)

I like it! Geez, the bloke who thought up the name must be a pretty cool guy :D

van
16-11-06, 11:27 PM
Yeah yeah yeah :P

It's looking like you've won the contest mate! I'm giving my own head a couple more days to make sure it likes it as much as I think it does, and then I'll let ya know.

If you've won, I'm gonna need every single pic you've got of your car, from every possible angle! The more angles, the more chance of your car getting into an actual race with our guy ;)

Babalouie
16-11-06, 11:32 PM
Well I reckon I could ask that Felix guy to take some pics of my car....oh look he did! :D

And oh yes, my character has to give the main guy a run for his money and have a cool gimmick like say, "gumtape deathmatch". And er, none of that ridiculous "God hand, God foot" stuff ok? :D

VTECMACHINE
16-11-06, 11:44 PM
hehehe babs! Man that title is awsome, and the pic is nutssss!!! LOVING IT! wow davey, what you are thinking will look awsome I reackon. Kinda like the other guy that drew the I LOVE NY picture with the Supra, with the tire marks going across the love heart. I think it will look awsome aswell. what ever you choose Van, good luck buddy. Can't wait for a cartoon/comic to come out.

van
16-11-06, 11:58 PM
Well I reckon I could ask that Felix guy to take some pics of my car....oh look he did! :D

And oh yes, my character has to give the main guy a run for his money and have a cool gimmick like say, "gumtape deathmatch". And er, none of that ridiculous "God hand, God foot" stuff ok? :D

Hahah, don't worry mate, we'll talk about it a lot before the story happens. :)

VTEC: Thanks man, appreciate the encouragement!

Babalouie
17-11-06, 12:13 AM
Hahah, don't worry mate, we'll talk about it a lot before the story happens. :)

VTEC: Thanks man, appreciate the encouragement!

Oh and yeah my character can't look as fat as I am in real life :)

And while we're on the topic of characters, I reckon one of the characters along the way could be a guy in a panda-coloured Hyundai who delivers the stuff for his father who runs a kimchi shop. He's really fast on a winding road cos you know, it's really important that kimchi is delivered like, straight away :D (I'm in Korea atm, so I got kimchi on the brain and garlic smell seeping out from every pore)

van
17-11-06, 12:17 AM
Hahahaha Korean instead of Japanese, I love it!

[ekkY]
17-11-06, 12:54 PM
numberplate should be the name of the car

comic book should be called speed demon

VTECMACHINE
17-11-06, 01:02 PM
yessss you need some random japanese letter's on the page!!! and if you want even a little pikachu eating sushi with dragon ball Z characters bottom right.

van
17-11-06, 05:33 PM
Hehe, nice idea VTEC ;)

Alright! I'd like to congratulate BabeLouie on winning the contest. After getting some awesome entries, I put together a list of the words I liked most from the entries that had been submitted, and BabaLouie ended up putting together the best combo: Endless Spirit: Final Evolution Z

The "prize" was the "honour" (haha) of having your car featured in the comic. So y'all can expect to see BL's MX-5 show up in ES:FEZ!

Because I liked a few of the other entries as well, I'll be contacting certain contest participants in the near future to offer them the opportunity to have their car featured as well. So look forward to that too! And no, I'm not revealing any names yet, because I haven't decided. :)

Dave R
17-11-06, 09:37 PM
Maybe u could have 1 car at the beggining which is a like memory of the past, of racing some1 who he couldnt beat but then at the end he finaly does beat them...

but u cant do that with mx5 coz it would beat anything anytime :P hehehe

Babalouie
18-11-06, 02:28 AM
w00t! :)