PDA

View Full Version : Featured Cars

Gorilla
24-01-08, 03:27 PM
Hey, what ever happened to featuring members rides?

Justin Fox
24-01-08, 03:47 PM
Takes SO much work to get them up there on the homepage :(

Maybe someone that can code would like to take over the job of putting the featured rides pages together?

Alternatively we use the forum instead of custom coded pages. IE: A members ride gets featured in a thread, on the forum every month. The feature will showcase an interview and pictures, the thread itself is linked off the homepage when you click on "featured rides". Now THAT would be a LOT easier.

van
24-01-08, 03:49 PM
Damn it Shane, feature cars don't pay for S2000s alright!

;)

Justin Fox
24-01-08, 04:02 PM
Haha. Too right.

My blood is getting thin from all the blood sweat and tears I'm putting into JDMST lol.

Rad
24-01-08, 04:16 PM
Maybe someone that can code would like to take over the job of putting the featured rides pages together?

Could be done :P

Justin Fox
24-01-08, 04:19 PM
http://www.gosimpsons.com/ProdImages/BurnsExcellentSticker.jpg

Sp33dY
24-01-08, 04:46 PM
Im sure theres at least 20-30 coders on here .

WOuldnt be hard to code up a simple "feature ride" template with examples of thumbnails and fullsize pics, headings, etc, then just tell people to email you a completed feature with all files in a zip /rar file and then all u'd have to do is upload it.

Sounds easier than it is, i know. lol

Jazzle
24-01-08, 06:06 PM
dont do it monthly though... i see some forums forcing too much to feature a new ride every month... and quality wont be there.... :D just do it when there's a real hot one that demands respect.

Gorilla
25-01-08, 10:44 AM
Yeah sorry guys, didnt realise it was so much work :(

Rad
25-01-08, 10:49 AM
WOuldnt be hard to code up a simple "feature ride" template with examples of thumbnails and fullsize pics, headings, etc, then just tell people to email you a completed feature with all files in a zip /rar file and then all u'd have to do is upload it.

The flaw in this is not everyone is web literate. It's easier to just get the person who is featured to email in some pics and a word doc of their mods.

Yeah sorry guys, didnt realise it was so much work :(

I think it's more so doing it monthly. Eventually 'featured' material will run out and the section will die, doing it every 2-3 months or so keeps people anticipating on who/what will be next.

Gorilla
25-01-08, 10:53 AM
good point Rad!

Justin Fox
25-01-08, 11:48 AM
Here are the steps needed:

A) Someone organises a location, photographer and a car to shoot. All of this can be organised by the moderators, photographer, car owner, it's open.

B) Moderators interview the featured car owner.

C) Images sent to designer/coder who resizes to suit current layout (I do like the layout of the feature pages, the feature cars in the scrolling box that link to the pages have to be smaller though, easy done).

D) Images and interview content coded

E) Zipped and sent to me. I then hook it all up to the front page.

Q_ball
25-01-08, 11:57 AM
^ Yepz, we had something similar on Ozhonda that eventually died as the amount of time and effort to keep those "featured" vehicles coming/updated was jst too much considering everyones outside commitments.

Its a lot of work to do monthly... even quaterly...
Unless, you can find some ppl with a LOT of free time, that are willing to do this.

Buddah
28-01-08, 12:23 PM
Here's an idea. Probably not a good one. I'm sure ASM must have some feature's they don't run in the mag. Just bounce em our way :twisted:

Or maybe you could run a lesser feature of some of ASM's cars in here just like modifications, any track stats it might have, and some pictures. Just an idea I'm throwing out there. As long as the ASM guys are willing to do it I think it wouldn't be a bad idea

Justin Fox
28-01-08, 12:27 PM
The idea really was to feature outstanding members rides, it's what JDMST is all about remember? Community :)

I'd like it to be the other way around, that the ASM guys would feature JDMST featured rides in their magazine :P :) hehe.

Buddah
28-01-08, 01:00 PM
Haha yeah, I was getting a little bit away from the point.

I've always wondered though, why you haven't had a feature in ASM.

We do have a couple on here though that have made it into asm

Bodgy Racing Developments
28-01-08, 02:13 PM
i'll help wherever i can.

Angle
28-01-08, 09:17 PM
I'll throw my idea out. Justin you or another mod could approach a JDMST member over the site offering an opportunity to have their car featured on the site. If they accept, one of two options could be taken, the first being what you outlined earlier and the second being that the car owner could organise the photos themselves (I know it seems like an out of pocket expense and abit of a burden, but I would relish the opportunity to have some quality photos of my car and I'm sure the photographers on this forum would be willing to help out abit).

From there the interview could be done over the phone or over the forum then sent to a coder and put onto the site.

I guess a good point is that you could have more then 1 car in the pipeline for being a feature car whilst you wait on the photos, therefore not be under as much pressure for next months feature.

Just food for thought I guess.

brasher
29-01-08, 02:28 PM
I'll put my hand up to take photo's in the Sydney area, more than happy to help out.

Tonba
29-01-08, 02:46 PM
So, How would you get your car featured? Poll? Mods? Who would choose, because when I do a fair few more mods to mine i Wouldnt mind it being featured...

Rad
29-01-08, 04:13 PM
So, How would you get your car featured? Poll? Mods? Who would choose, because when I do a fair few more mods to mine i Wouldnt mind it being featured...

This is a valid point. I don't think the featured cars should strictly be limited to ASM material. After all, this is a pretty big community! ;)

Justin Fox
29-01-08, 05:27 PM
Let's not rush to complexities just yet guys. Personally I'm still unsure if this is going ahead or not.

Levos1
30-01-08, 01:58 PM
DO it!!
Iam down for pixxx of the Nth Shore dudes! Iam sure Iceman etc would be down too!