PDA

View Full Version : Wheel alignment

Hens
18-11-06, 02:34 AM
Circuit club is coming up.

i fitted front (obviously) caster kit on my car few weeks ago.
i got mega front toe in after the caster increase which is normal.
im want to get a 4 wheel alignment done again to redo my rear camber and toe as well.

heasmans and eastcoast want too much for a wheel alignment.
i looked into this hard the last time i went for one.
my last one was at kmac. it was $60 but the nice dude did it $40 all four corners. it was all by hand with no computer tools, no printout too.

has anyone been to wholesale suspension in penrith (at least they arent a franchise)
www.wholesalesuspension.com.au
they want $60 for all four plus camber adjust too, printout.

i dont want to take it to pedders since they are hit and miss franchise and want $110 (fixed price for all pedders)

Tazz
18-11-06, 01:11 PM
I haven't paid under $100 for a wheel allignment in over a year now.. Needless to say i haven't had any issues with my setup since leaving the shop once the wheel allignment was done.

The last 2 times i have been to pedders out of convenience since they are close to home and I have found whilst the price is quite high, the service has been great and the setup fantasitic. I've been gettng camber and toe etc all checked/adjusted and the car has been driving beautifully since. (110 down the freeway and i can take my hands off the wheel and it will go in a perfectly straight line with no vibration through the wheel.)

I have heard good feedback from a few people in regards to wholesale suspension and also hornsby wheel and tyre aswell.

black200
18-11-06, 02:00 PM
spinning wheel in woolloomoolloo (sp?) - the guy who does alignments there does only alighnments. He doesn't do tyres or anything else but alighnments and he is a perfectionist.

The place has one of only a few lazer alignment machines (one of 4 in oz) and you will pay around 80 bucks, and they do them for 60 if you mention you're from an affilliated car club.
The bently club, porsche club, aston martin club and a few others are all affiliated so they must be good!

He is also a legend around mx5 owners. I think the joint is on crown street in Woolloomoolloo. Look them up!

doofus
20-11-06, 10:19 AM
how bout wheel alignment and adjustment for coilovers? near western sydney?

Middle Man
20-11-06, 03:05 PM

im want to get a 4 wheel alignment done again to redo my rear camber and toe as well.

my last one was at kmac. it was $60 but the nice dude did it $40 all four corners. it was all by hand with no computer tools, no printout too.

has anyone been to wholesale suspension in penrith (at least they arent a franchise)

i dont want to take it to pedders since they are hit and miss franchise and want $110 (fixed price for all pedders)

Heasmans & East Coast Suspensions are renowned for knowing what they're doing though......$100 for a something thats going to be spot on is nothing IMO.

ECS always do my allignment work now......and ive been all over the place and have never been satisfied. Fkn stoked that they're 5mins from home too.

Dave R
20-11-06, 03:20 PM
Defenetly Heasmans !!

He defenetly knows what his doing !!! if u tell them what ur using ur car for they will set up up 4 u :)

raz0r$harP
20-11-06, 03:45 PM
If you're out that way and don't want to pay Wholesale Suspension prices, give Gordon Leven a call in Emu Plains.

EGG80X
20-11-06, 05:14 PM
I trust Heasmans for sure... spinning wheel (85 Bourke St East Sydney) is pretty good as well

Hens
20-11-06, 07:13 PM
I trust Heasmans for sure... spinning wheel (85 Bourke St East Sydney) is pretty good as well

i tried googling
is it spinning wheel tyres wooloomoloo?
The common vibe i get from Tyre shops is a cant be stuffed attitude when you ask them about setting the camber and toe setting you want. That why i wanted to go to a suspension shop if it is any better.

a full package alignment at ECS is 188$ Heasmans is $180 or so.
i cant afford those prices.

Wholesale suspension wanted $60 last time i called for camber / toe etc all round.
Considering they are a pretty large workshop that mainly deal with suspension i think they will be alright. I figure it might be better to pay these guys to do it than rock up at a tyre shop and give them a headache.

black200
20-11-06, 08:34 PM
holy shit 180 is STEEP for an alginment which bangs out as soon as you head down parramatta road.

stu at wolloomoolloo is fantastic. spent an hour on my car last time and it cost me 68 bucks and i couldn't be happier.

lovesil
20-11-06, 09:16 PM
you serious about 180 at heasman? the last time i went for a full adjustment, its only like 160 or so

StanTheMan
20-11-06, 09:17 PM
as black200 said , I can confirm the spinning wheel at woollomoloo has a superb reputation amongs the hardcore MX5 driving comunity. They charge us $88 for a wheel allingment. I believe they also keep the settings on file so if you come back &n want something changed they refer back to the setting they started with.

I had 4 wheel alinmments last year. 1 lasted 1/2 a lap at wakefield. 2 were crap & the last one is the one i have currently.

A good wheelallingment is worth gold to the handling & life of your tyre. Most places have absolutely no idear of how suspension geometry works.
.It also helps if you know exactly what you want.

$88 is worth every cent. don't barter.......its an insult to thier genious.

however for $180.....i'd want to know what magic i'm getting for that.

nath
20-11-06, 11:45 PM
Another vote for Stu at spinning wheel tyres.

Fantastic guy. Like Stan said, they keep all your info on file - last time I went to them I mentioned that I really like the set up he had done 18months earlier. 2 seconds later he has those settings up on the screen. puuuuurrrrffffect.

Seriously the best bang for buck mod you can do!

N.

RX4
21-11-06, 12:01 AM
just curious, which of these places that have been mentioned have the equipment to do 'turn out' as part of their alignment package?

Hens
21-11-06, 12:05 AM
just curious, which of these places that have been mentioned have the equipment to do 'turn out' as part of their alignment package?
ive never heard of the term 'turn out'.
care to explain?

do you mean toe-out?

RX4
21-11-06, 12:12 AM
turn out.

Hens
21-11-06, 01:01 AM
explain?

Hens
30-11-06, 02:06 PM
hey guys

i went to Straight Talk suspension this morning to get a 4wheel alignment.
some Mx5 dudes on aus-car-talk forum say Louie aint too bad.
i had a good chat with him.
he knows his stuff.

apparently my alignment (toe rather than camber) was whack.
Previously i asked KMAC to give me 1mm toe out at rear for better turn in one side was like 2mm toe out and other side was toe in (mega mfuked thrust alignment). i saw that from just looking at it anyway.

He fixed my mega toe in at the front from my caster increase.

I back to my setting i wanted initially before increasing my caster.
Front
Toe zero
Camber -1.0

Rear
Toe out 2mm
Camber -0.7
Hopefully now i can corner even faster now.

Not to long till Circuit Club Wakefield park now. Razz

crusty
11-12-06, 08:58 PM
Hey Henry , whats your caster angle set at ? the camber sounds correct but I would of opted for zero toe at the rear , I can understand why it was set (load up front so it turns it harder) but you might find it a bit aggressive on tyre wear on the street ( spent 5 years setting up suspension settings for track cars) as for the turn out /turn in setting its done at 23deg in and out and represents axis of inclination in steering geometry as you turn it changes the camber and caster settings as it lifts one side of your car when you turn the wheel ( its complex to explain but helps turn in/out when cornering)

Buddy
11-12-06, 09:09 PM
dude go to Pro Concept at west ryde.. they did my camber, castor, toe, everything and left me with enough change from $$100 to buy a few happy meals

black200
11-12-06, 09:31 PM
as black200 said , I can confirm the spinning wheel at woollomoloo has a superb reputation amongs the hardcore MX5 driving comunity. They charge us $88 for a wheel allingment. I believe they also keep the settings on file so if you come back &n want something changed they refer back to the setting they started with.

I had 4 wheel alinmments last year. 1 lasted 1/2 a lap at wakefield. 2 were crap & the last one is the one i have currently.

A good wheelallingment is worth gold to the handling & life of your tyre. Most places have absolutely no idear of how suspension geometry works.
.It also helps if you know exactly what you want.

$88 is worth every cent. don't barter.......its an insult to thier genious.

however for $180.....i'd want to know what magic i'm getting for that.

68 bucks if you mention if you're in the altezzaclub :p

StanTheMan
13-12-06, 08:55 AM
68 bucks if you mention if you're in the altezzaclub :p

dammed i'll have to change alliancese now......:lol:

doofus
13-12-06, 11:27 AM
im going to pro concept for my alignment very sooon! :D

ClioF1
15-01-07, 03:29 PM
I've been going to Wholesale for a while now, they are great but you have to be specific as to what you want dialled in.

I buy all my road tyres from Spinning Wheel but I've never got an alignment done there, they really know their stuff with tyres anyway. I might try them for alignments in the future.

4agte
15-01-07, 03:41 PM

probably a bit late but if your getting the susspension setup just for wakefield use slightly more -tive camber in the left than right might be 1/2 a degree or less as there are alot more right hand turns than left

Hens
15-01-07, 03:43 PM
Hey Henry , whats your caster angle set at ? the camber sounds correct but I would of opted for zero toe at the rear , I can understand why it was set (load up front so it turns it harder) but you might find it a bit aggressive on tyre wear on the street ( spent 5 years setting up suspension settings for track cars) as for the turn out /turn in setting its done at 23deg in and out and represents axis of inclination in steering geometry as you turn it changes the camber and caster settings as it lifts one side of your car when you turn the wheel ( its complex to explain but helps turn in/out when cornering)

i have a caster kit with antilift for extra 1.5deg caster.
full lock gives good camber.
plenty grip.

no issues with tyres wear as of yet.