PDA

View Full Version : Who has quit smoking and how did you do it?

JDM_ST
08-03-08, 02:18 PM
Anyone has quit smoking completely? Please share your stories and give me some motivation LOL.

OVTEC
08-03-08, 02:25 PM
quitting's easy, i've done it heaps of times lol

van
08-03-08, 02:46 PM
(insert "hahaha, so glad I never took up smoking" comment here)

RE99IE
08-03-08, 02:49 PM
cold turkey after getting a lung infection....now healthy and have not touch one since Feb 5 2003

Keven
08-03-08, 02:52 PM
Cold turkey, though recent events now has me smoking more than I did before :(

eug4emi
08-03-08, 03:03 PM
nothing can help except for your persistence and mentality towards it :)

denka
08-03-08, 03:04 PM
noooo garry noooo

[ekkY]
08-03-08, 03:10 PM
use one of those patches
that should help you

Trolls Royce
08-03-08, 03:18 PM
I stopped lighting them. Seemed pretty effective.

Seriously though, cut down to a point where you no longer feel like you need to smoke, and then it's easy.

4agte
08-03-08, 03:20 PM
i used zyban (spelling?) i quit in 2 weeks for about 2 years alot of people say bad things about it but i found it worked really really well no side effect etc alltho i didnt use it for long
i smoked socially with drinks for a while after that alltho due to joining the military that has stopped aswell
imho patches and gum dont work as they just feed the addiction but the real addiction comes from the habbit of putting your hand to your mouth in social situations and pressure/stress situation

chris86
08-03-08, 03:27 PM
I never smoked but another thing you can try when you next see the doctor is ask if they can start you on this medicine called Champix. Its a 12 week course and should cost you no more than 2 lots of $31.30 if you have a Medicare card. (Cheaper than patches since the PBS pays for the remaining cost)

Its designed to make quitting easier as it partially stimulates the nicotine receptors in your body but at the same time it also prevents any extra nicotine from stimulating the receptors. (So patches, gum, lozenges and ciggies have no effect at all) It sort teaches your body to not respond to the ciggies and once your body realises it doesn't get a 'hit' from smoking it should make it easier for you to pick a day to stop completely.

infinite
08-03-08, 03:51 PM
(insert "hahaha, so glad I never took up smoking" comment here)

WORD :D

gimic
08-03-08, 04:13 PM
A close friend of mine has Cystic Vybrosis (spell?) and just went through a lung transplant. He's the same age as me.

I can't see the point of someone fighting for their lungs while i destroy mine.

Besides, cookies taste better anyway...

TENSE
08-03-08, 04:41 PM
quitting's easy, i've done it heaps of times lol

doesnt that mean you have not quit

JDM_ST
08-03-08, 04:45 PM
I have quit before for about 2 years. But ever since I really got into cars I started smoking again LOL that's double addiction now :P It's automatic to have a smoke while waiting for the car to warm up LOL.

rusty1
08-03-08, 05:34 PM
Cold turkey, after a friend died at 18 from cancer and never smoked:( Wife did a Smoke Enders course worked for her;)

minix3
08-03-08, 06:30 PM
smoke lighter and lighter ciggies. Eventually you will be so sick of smoking air you will just give up.

Alan didn't like it so I went cold turkey, but I do still have a few occasionally. =[

Kikkoman
08-03-08, 06:31 PM
doesnt that mean you have not quit

lol.

silent-sleepr
08-03-08, 08:00 PM
try chewing gum.. and when ever u sit outside at a pub, never drink outside cos you will tend to spark one up. ive cut down a lot since being a chain smoker but now i still have one occasionally (not even one a day). just try be mentally strong. lol. :)

gimic
08-03-08, 08:26 PM
take up pot

brasher
08-03-08, 11:53 PM
Switched to meth.

QuintessentiaLs
09-03-08, 05:25 PM
I've been a social smoker for about 10 years but I only smoke when I'm around friends who smoke... Some reason I don't get addicted :S

Aleks.B
09-03-08, 09:32 PM
if i ever smoked my parents would kick me out of the house

lol

Justin Fox
10-03-08, 01:11 PM
Quit with a partner, it's easier.

The word "quit" is negative in itself so stop thinking of it as giving something up, but instead something to gain.

fun33r
10-03-08, 01:12 PM
I've been a social smoker for about 10 years but I only smoke when I'm around friends who smoke... Some reason I don't get addicted :S

Maybe you are addicted.. socially :P

Pato
10-03-08, 01:24 PM
This is kinda retarded... I want to gain weight so i have been eating alot and hitting the gym. So i made a rule for myself, if I feel like a smoke so badly, I can have one, providing that i do unlimited push ups until i collapse no matter where i am... if i am say at a pub and i wanted one so badly... I would do as many push ups until i fall on my face.. usually the thought of doing it in a public place and looking like a total retard stops me from lighting a smoke... but if i couldnt resist the craving i would do it and look like a retard... usually after doing so many push ups I wouldnt want to spark a smoke as i have forgotten the craving and also the fear of smoking after excersize... So if your keen on giving up, why not give it a go? better to look like a retard now than being dead...

VTECMACHINE
10-03-08, 02:37 PM
Quit with a partner, it's easier.

Really, I have resorted to lying to my partner - and smoking stealthly!

It's quite hard man. patches do help, even if they are physcological... they still do help. Give them a go.

You have to WANT to quit, don't just quit for the sake of it.

The Panda
10-03-08, 03:55 PM
^ Yeh thats true.
I stopped when i had glandular for about 3 months. Got over the craving etc etc, and didnt need to smoke, but i didnt particularly want too, so i started again. Its gotta be a conscious decision!! Otherwise you will just stop start all the time

CivicSi
10-03-08, 05:37 PM
Really, I have resorted to lying to my partner - and smoking stealthly!

It's quite hard man. patches do help, even if they are physcological... they still do help. Give them a go.

You have to WANT to quit, don't just quit for the sake of it.

Been there, it's not easy... and when they have that expectation and you have to hide it, it somehow makes it even harder to stop completely....

minix3
10-03-08, 06:40 PM
I still smoke on occasion but I don't hide it from Al.
our non-official agreement is if I smoke he is allowed to drink coke and vice versa.

rusty1
10-03-08, 08:21 PM
I still smoke on occasion but I don't hide it from Al.
our non-official agreement is if I smoke he is allowed to drink coke and vice versa.

I can understand why Alan should not drink Coke:lol: :lol:

wngo
11-03-08, 03:24 PM
my mate quit cold turkey for a solid 6-7months, he substituted the cravings for food.

hes back on it now due to stress.

black200
11-03-08, 03:44 PM
smoking isn't an addiction its just a habit!

if you really can't do it any other way just go on the zyban i've heard great things about it.

black200
11-03-08, 03:48 PM
also, one thing you should be aware of is that to replace one habit, you have to replace it with another. For me, not smoking = eating

if you smoke at a certain time of day, go for a run at that time instead. Or buy a skipping rope i just bought one last week :D

oRiCLe
11-03-08, 03:49 PM
spend all my money each week on my car so i dont have enough left to buy smokes LOL

nah, acually, i just um...stopped :P got over how unfit, tired and crap they made me feel...lol

YUStivo
11-03-08, 04:10 PM
Think of how you ever started them in the first place.

Imo that would be a great start.

GL with it.

denka
25-03-08, 12:25 AM
man i'm into my 1st week and a bit of "gaining something" smoking and it's going pretty well so far.

My decision to quit basically came about on my 5-week holiday in asia where you can smoke even where you can't. It turned my previously light smoker's cough into a chesty motherfucker.

Doing it cold turkey and I must say it's been quite easy because I actually want to gain something. The funniest thing is, I'm actually coughing more and it's like when I have a cold ... apparently a withdrawal symptom.

Wish me [email protected]!

Elwood
25-03-08, 12:40 AM
"Non smokers die everyday too".

-Bill Hicks.

RIP - (lung cancer).

OVTEC
25-03-08, 01:28 AM
ok ive decided to quit recently to reap the benefits ( i wont say from who or where :P)

but yes its been over a week now cold turkey

hardest part is when im on a smoke break with a friend at work but im not smoking while he is....

but i managed to say no...so yea im happy

its gonna be hard when i get back to uni tomorrow, hopefully the ASM will keep my occupied :)

VTECMACHINE
25-03-08, 03:43 AM
I'm going to stop smoking aswell... and putting the $50 odd dollers a week into a piggy bank jar in my room. so I can see the money build up. Every time I have enough money, i'm going to buy some cars parts. Good incentive for me! :)

Eddie
25-03-08, 02:14 PM
chew on those nicorette chewing gum everytime you crave for a smoke, 3 weeks and you wont want to smoke again

Bjay
25-03-08, 02:32 PM
ive quit a few times always worked until i hit the piss and then its over i quit drinking and smoking for 9months before but then had to go to a wake and that was all over.

quittting cold turkey is quite hard but worked for me best way i found was to not have a smoke for minimum 2 weeks then at the end of 2 weeks have a smoke and you realise how shit it is.

OVTEC
25-03-08, 04:16 PM
I'm going to stop smoking aswell... and putting the $50 odd dollers a week into a piggy bank jar in my room. so I can see the money build up. Every time I have enough money, i'm going to buy some cars parts. Good incentive for me! :)

saving money is another reason why i quit also :)

Bjay
25-03-08, 05:19 PM
i went to menthols for awhile i noticed i smoke a heap more of them then usual smokes.

OVTEC
25-03-08, 06:47 PM
doesnt menthols kill your sperm count?

m a i k e r u
25-03-08, 06:50 PM
WILL POWER!!!

Trolls Royce
25-03-08, 07:03 PM
I'm seriously going to try and give up.

Whenever I ask myself "Where's the worse tasting place your tongue has been?" the answer lately, second to that girl I dated in my teenage years, has been the inside of my own mouth.

4agte
25-03-08, 09:04 PM
I'm seriously going to try and give up.

Whenever I ask myself "Where's the worse tasting place your tongue has been?" the answer lately, second to that girl I dated in my teenage years, has been the inside of my own mouth.

lol taking it to another level chris

Bjay
25-03-08, 11:56 PM
doesnt menthols kill your sperm count?

i heard that about mountain dew aswel so my 2 fav things in life fark up my sperm count seriously WTF god.

cant be true surely is it?

minix3
26-03-08, 01:52 AM
Apparently it is just a myth. Asian people love menthol and China's still spitting out kids like there's no one-child law.

Bang A Dang
26-03-08, 01:56 AM
Apparently it is just a myth. Asian people love menthol and China's still spitting out kids like there's no one-child law.

hahaha!

z10
26-03-08, 02:06 AM
a pack a day for almost 10 years ( Marlboro red for 5yrs and Lights for the latter 5)

quit cold turkey OCT 07, haven't had one since :)

m a i k e r u
26-03-08, 02:11 AM
a pack a day for almost 10 years ( Marlboro red for 5yrs and Lights for the latter 5)

quit cold turkey OCT 07, haven't had one since :)

LUNG CANCER FO SURE!!

Rotary_rockeT
26-03-08, 02:31 AM

i just calculate the money i spend on it in a year and compare it to tasty parts i could've added to my car :P

jeffske
29-03-08, 12:18 AM
whatever your method, ffs please tell the tortoise before he kills himself
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/smoking-tortoise-found-in-china/2008/03/28/1206207338530.html

A tortoise that smokes and appears to be addicted to nicotine has been discovered in China's northeastern province of Jilin.

eug4emi
31-05-08, 11:03 PM
Hi anyone tried Champix, any experiences or insights into it?

More info here

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22988603-2862,00.html

thetunersgroup
31-05-08, 11:13 PM
Hi anyone tried Champix, any experiences or insights into it?

More info here

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22988603-2862,00.html

Two of my friends have both quit using Champix.

That article is very scary though. A quote from the article you linked to...

"The UK Government's medicine watchdog, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, had received 1335 reports of patents suffering serious side effects, including seven deaths -- one of which was a suicide -- by December 18.

The drug, launched in the UK about a year ago, was also linked to 748 cases of psychiatric problems including suicidal thoughts and depression, 819 gastrointestinal disorders and 70 heart disorders.

The US Food and Drug Administration began investigating the drug, called Chantix in the US, in November after it reported 55 cases of suicide and 199 cases of suicidal thoughts in just one week."

If you're looking for a drug free way to quit, this book is meant to be great ...

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616/

The same guy has a DVD about his methods. I think this is it ...

http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/asda/8598030.product

- Adam

kaivearn
01-06-08, 03:27 AM
i guess quitting smoking is all about willpower. i started smoking a year ago. trying to quit now since the girls in my uni course thinks smoking is "unattractive". sometimes i just have one at night with a friend, sometimes 7 cigs a day... but never a pack a day lol.
trying hard to quit, but still myself at the convenience store asking for a pack of reds.

danno
01-06-08, 05:14 AM
I quit quitting.

CaptainColen
01-06-08, 12:01 PM

I hold you responsible for a hideous 'spitting out kids' visual. :???:

eug4emi
02-06-08, 12:51 PM
Two of my friends have both quit using Champix.

That article is very scary though. A quote from the article you linked to...

If you're looking for a drug free way to quit, this book is meant to be great ...

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616/

The same guy has a DVD about his methods. I think this is it ...

http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/asda/8598030.product

- Adam

thanks mate, it's actually for my gf :)

well we got her packs now, day 1 is today, hopefully the side effects won't be too much for her to handle

Serial Killa
02-06-08, 01:10 PM
thanks mate, it's actually for my gf :)

well we got her packs now, day 1 is today, hopefully the side effects won't be too much for her to handle

You're a brave soldier :P

Mz OoSKYLINEoO
02-06-08, 02:45 PM
I did for a while and I stopped after my grandfather died from it.. that was enough convincing for me.

VTECMACHINE
02-06-08, 03:15 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0pV8j81qX4U

This is the Electronic Ciggerette. It's quite fucking cool IMHO!

My mate is buying one, and I will test it. If it's good i'll buy one. They are like $150 with 50 carterages from Ebay. Each Caterage is 15 smokes. So yeah... awsome value.

DrewMan
02-06-08, 03:55 PM

My mate is buying one, and I will test it. If it's good i'll buy one. They are like $150 with 50 carterages from Ebay. Each Caterage is 15 smokes. So yeah... awsome value.

That actually looks like a good idea for those filthy dirty smokers who actually want to quit!

VTECMACHINE
02-06-08, 04:39 PM
yeh well i'm unfortunately one of them!

But I will test it out, and write a review in the product review section.

Good thing is you can "smoke" it anywhere, because the smoke is just vapour, and it doesn't smell. But smoking for majority of people is just the habit... so I'd assume this would come very handy.

Middle Man
03-06-08, 01:04 PM
It's not hard to quit. I smoked for over 5yrs and just said 'fuck it' - went cold turkey 14months ago and it's been fine.

You can quit if you really want to. If you smoke for wank factor or to look cool, you'll never quit unless you change your mindset.

intercooled
03-06-08, 01:59 PM
just enjoy your life and smoke on...

VTECMACHINE
04-06-08, 11:36 AM
It's not hard to quit. I smoked for over 5yrs and just said 'fuck it' - went cold turkey 14months ago and it's been fine.

You can quit if you really want to. If you smoke for wank factor or to look cool, you'll never quit unless you change your mindset.

It's not that easy for everyone else.

But yes, you really have to WANT to quit.

I just find the hardest is shaking the habit...

VTECMACHINE
04-06-08, 11:39 AM

Ok... I just bought one of these!

I tried my mates on the other day, and my god are they awsome. They diliver Nicotine, faster than any other supplimentary nicotine product. It's like your smoking a real cig, so if your addicted to the habit, this will help you out.

It's not harmful to your body at all. The ingredients are Water, Nicotine, and small amounts of chemical found in food colouring, and other food products. Much better than smoking.

It cost me $65 for the pack, including 1.5 cartons equvilant of Cig's.

I'll let you all know how the quiting goes.