PDA

View Full Version : Some questions that have been bothering me..

FC3S
28-11-06, 07:41 PM
hey guys,

some questions have been bothering me for the past year or so but i'm finally bothered to open a post and ask.

is it possible to change a head unit in the car on the new civic or jazz? i'm asking this because the centre console i see on the jazz and new civic seem to have no mounting hole for a headunit.

can anyone correct or tell me?

cheers

Sp33dY
28-11-06, 07:46 PM
Jazz u can buy kits ..... not sure about civic.

raz0r$harP
28-11-06, 09:32 PM
Yep you can for the Civic too (in the US anyway). Replaces the entire stereo mechanism with a 2DIN space. It's not wired up to a body control module or anything like on the new Fords so you can totally replace it with an aftermarket unit.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/8th_gen_civ_sedan/cdtuner.pdf

doofus
28-11-06, 10:50 PM
jazz you can, my mate is doing it on his car atm
:D

dunno bout civics

VTECMACHINE
29-11-06, 12:24 AM
New Civic you can't! My sister just bought the new Civic. It actually has quite an alright system standard. Like nothing too special... but does the job IMO.

One of the first questions I asked honda when I test drove the car was... is it possible to change the headunit? They said no... unless maybe you can get a custom install to fill in all the gaps and stuff. IMO I reakon it would look pretty stupid.

FC3S
29-11-06, 01:20 AM
New Civic you can't! My sister just bought the new Civic. It actually has quite an alright system standard. Like nothing too special... but does the job IMO.

One of the first questions I asked honda when I test drove the car was... is it possible to change the headunit? They said no... unless maybe you can get a custom install to fill in all the gaps and stuff. IMO I reakon it would look pretty stupid.

hmm, if it does the job then i think it will be fine, but if it was someone like me that likes their music and audio then i think it will be a thing from stopping me to purchase the vehicle.. not unless if the stock audio system supports the balancing of sound and bass for the added sub etc.
quite disappointing..

VTECMACHINE
29-11-06, 02:29 AM
It's honestly a very good sound system. Like my system is all Avi stuff.. which as you'd probs know is very good stuff, and comparing to that. Sound quality of the civic is great. Quite bassy aswell... if you like your bass that is... for a standard car. Not very much distortion when loud aswell.

FC3S
29-11-06, 03:20 AM
i noticed that new stock car sound system has improved over the yrs, it's amazing.

bathurst-91
29-11-06, 09:08 AM
I never really thought about this. Manufacturers in affect could completely obliterate the aftermaket headunit market? (well to some extent over a period of time)

raz0r$harP
29-11-06, 10:23 AM

Oh really?
http://img106.imagevenue.com/loc410/th_52579_oz06civhu_122_410lo.jpg (http://img106.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=52579_oz06civhu_122_410lo.jpg)

raz0r$harP
29-11-06, 10:25 AM
I never really thought about this. Manufacturers in affect could completely obliterate the aftermaket headunit market? (well to some extent over a period of time)

They've gotten around it for other cars though (Mazda 6, BA Falcon, VE Commodore, etc). Usually involves remounting the aftermarket headunit elsewhere (eg in the glovebox, centre console, etc). Otherwise new trim pieces are the way to go. Just takes a bit of figuring out but generally it's not a problem for most cars these days.

Justin Fox
29-11-06, 11:11 AM
Where there's a will, there's a way.

henrysan
29-11-06, 11:23 AM
this is the same problem wit the mazda 3 but people have come out with kits to counter it. in the case of the 3 , putting in a aftermarket headunit means u lose the display for the climate control and so on as it shares the same fascia. whether its the same for the civic, i have no idea.

FC3S
29-11-06, 12:28 PM
i understand it is possible to get a headunit in the new civic, but if only money can grow on trees for custom work

Luc
29-11-06, 12:31 PM
you dont need custom work, there are dash kits for it.

VTECMACHINE
29-11-06, 01:20 PM
Oh really?
http://img106.imagevenue.com/loc410/th_52579_oz06civhu_122_410lo.jpg (http://img106.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=52579_oz06civhu_122_410lo.jpg)

That's weird my sister's civic dash doesn't look like that!?! Is that american model or sumthing? Just curious...

Well if its not... shows how shitty Honda Australia is hey! Still waiting on my rear pods... been 2 months... was meant to be 10-12 days.

raz0r$harP
29-11-06, 01:25 PM
That's weird my sister's civic dash doesn't look like that!?! Is that american model or sumthing? Just curious...

Well if its not... shows how shitty Honda Australia is hey! Still waiting on my rear pods... been 2 months... was meant to be 10-12 days.

It's Singapore model but I was mainly trying to point out the actual housing could be bought from os to install a headunit :)

VTECMACHINE
29-11-06, 02:08 PM
ohh awsome foursome... I think I just confused myself over nothing.

Sp33dY
29-11-06, 02:26 PM
Dont listen to what Honda Dealers tell you ... most car dealers know bugger all about aftermarket products. Most dash kits WILL NOT be factory spare items.

FC3S -- Have u posted this on OZHONDA yet? .. Im sure numerous people have put aftermarket headunits in their cars already (even the new civics?). There;s a HOnda Jazz club in melbourne also, but i forget their website. I know for certain u can get dash kits locally for them somewhere.

FC3S
29-11-06, 02:41 PM
Dont listen to what Honda Dealers tell you ... most car dealers know bugger all about aftermarket products. Most dash kits WILL NOT be factory spare items.

FC3S -- Have u posted this on OZHONDA yet? .. Im sure numerous people have put aftermarket headunits in their cars already (even the new civics?). There;s a HOnda Jazz club in melbourne also, but i forget their website. I know for certain u can get dash kits locally for them somewhere.

No I haven't posted on OZHONDA, it was just a little question itching me. also the fact that my friends are also asking me this question.

IcemaN
29-11-06, 03:02 PM
pfft dont bother with ozhonda. ozhonda suks vtec

FC3S
29-11-06, 07:50 PM
lol, so i suppose theres also gear to purchase for the new integras too?

NeoNode
29-11-06, 11:51 PM
Povo spec ftw!

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9229/051pb4.jpg