PDA

View Full Version : Are you tired of modding?

lingeringsoul
09-04-08, 11:23 AM
When I first got my car, I plans to make it pretty. A year later, I got into trackdays and want it to go fast. I had all these things planned but had no money. So I would sit there and day dream about it. A year of saving later, I'm in a position to actually mod the engine but now, I just can't do it. I can't see myself throwing away after tax dollars when I get aboslutely no monetary retrns from it. I think I'm growing old. At the moment, I'm actually quite happy with my car despite being alittle on the slow side compared to everyone else's. I think the only time I can see myself spending big money on the car is when I have my own business for tax purposes.

How about you guys?

Keven
09-04-08, 11:25 AM
NEVR!!!

If anything, i'm going more crazy with mods than I ever had.

I find it even more rewarding now I'm out on the track evry month, seeing what the effects of a new part has on my lap time.

Gorilla
09-04-08, 11:30 AM
yeah i love it, but have to try and control myself.

Babalouie
09-04-08, 11:34 AM
I think you get to a point where you're sick of modding your particular car, but buy a new one and I'm sure the excitement will all come back and you'll be blowing cubic dollars on mods again :D

JDM 20T
09-04-08, 11:34 AM
Me im still into the whole modding thing. In high school i thought a car was just a mode of transports from A to B and didnt really understand why people throw so much money into cars it was only after high school and i started to drive alot did the whole modifying bug bite me hard. Ever since i have gone down several paths of modifications from doof doof machine to show car/ ricer look and now im hooked on trackdays most of my modifications are practical ( of course i still got quite a bit of rice on the car :P )

But one of the reasons i also love modifying cars is a sense of achievement and everyday you can see where all your hard earnt cash has gone. Its just a way of life some people blow there paychecks on a weekend out partying while i like to blow my paycheck on my car.The moddifying community is great so much friendly people out there i met who i otherwise would not have met if i didnt modify cars.

I will probably grow out of this phase in years to come but im enjoying every minute of it right now (my bank account doesnt agree with me though :P )

Rad
09-04-08, 11:38 AM
I'm feeling where you're coming from lingering..

I've got 90% of parts required to do my conversion on the engine, but it's kind of getting to a point where I'm slowly giving up the idea. I have everyone questioning me left, right and centre when it's going to happen, I guess they're more excited than me.

I will probably end up doing it though, getting so close and not following through is not me.

lingeringsoul
09-04-08, 11:39 AM
NEVR!!!

If anything, i'm going more crazy with mods than I ever had.

I find it even more rewarding now I'm out on the track evry month, seeing what the effects of a new part has on my lap time.

Thats what actually started my reluctance to mod.

First came the basic suspension mods, then came basic engine tuning and lately it was a set of fresh tyres. I was going faster around the track and learning a lot more about car but I also realised that with my mind set to go faster, there's no end to the amount of money I need to spend. I mean I don't have that big of a budget and if I spend X amount on the car and do everything I wanted, I could get a certain time around a race track. But then when it came to racing, I'm alway a little competitive and would always be thinking of what else to do. I can see myself eventually stripping the car out, spend more money on the strenghthening up the chasis, welding in roll cages, building an high hp engine, throwing a bucket loads on suspension parts and will probably spend even more money on trackdays and actual races...........if given the budget.

That actually got me scared, there seemed to be no end to how much you can spend. So, I've come to the decision that I will only do this when 1. I'm well off enough not to care about spending big money or 2. When the spending goes out pre taxed dollars.

As much I absolutely love modding my car, for me at this point in time, it's not the sensible way to do things.

Hens
09-04-08, 11:40 AM
NEVER!

I tell my parents the same.
THey ask are you ever doing to stop fiddling with the car.
Change this, change that, car audio, mechanicals, ripping shit apart.
Getting defect, then making the car quiet but returning back to being noisy. :P
If its not something then its something else.
Wasting time on the car, wasting money on the car.
I say never. Its my hobby. I get much satisfaction by getting my hands dirty even if it means im swearing at a rubber grommet that was born stubborn or the gearbox that needed 3 guys to put back on.
If i get that bored with my current car, I will buy another car like Babalouie said and it starts again.

...And if im not wasting time on my own car then it will on my friends and clients cars.

radism
09-04-08, 11:40 AM
i haven't even begun the serious stuff yet. when i graduate and have a salary again, its lap time reduction... time... !

Mike.V?!
09-04-08, 11:47 AM
Are you tired of modding?

Only when somebody says I'm 'power hungry' or calls me a nazi.

Huh?

Bodgy Racing Developments
09-04-08, 11:48 AM
i heart modding

lingeringsoul
09-04-08, 11:49 AM
I think you get to a point where you're sick of modding your particular car, but buy a new one and I'm sure the excitement will all come back and you'll be blowing cubic dollars on mods again :D

the thing is I'm not bored of modding my particular car at all. Every time I think of modding something on my car, I get excited all over again. I got excited when I put in a cheap ebay bucket seat. I got more excited when I realised it's giving me more feed back on the handling of the car etc etc.

I get excited thinking about how I can mod a civic or an MRS and how different I'd do to a GTR.

its just the scary fact that no matter what Japanese car I get into, I'll always be thinking about modding and spendig money on it. It's just overwhelming and scary knowing the money gone into it could be helping me setting up a more comfortable life in the future. I'm just having a big fight in my head.

felixR
09-04-08, 11:49 AM
This isn't a serious question right? :P

lingeringsoul
09-04-08, 11:52 AM
This isn't a serious question right? :P

this is quite serious for me :P , I want to spend but don't want to spend, if you know what I mean.

JDM 15L
09-04-08, 11:53 AM
modding is fun, but for some like me, it's all about the $$$ and whether you have it or not, you mod as much as you can put into it (this includes your heart and soul.. and blood of course), and sometimes there is only so much you can do, especially financially.

cant wait for that full time job, thats for sure!

jeffske
09-04-08, 11:59 AM
this is quite serious for me :P , I want to spend but don't want to spend, if you know what I mean.

save, buy a home

ON888
09-04-08, 12:23 PM
Everyone's different hey? This is a car enthusiast forum so 90% of the responses you are going to get are "NEVER" or "WHAT? ARE YOU MAD?" haha but I do know what you mean.

If you look at it from a money PoV then yeah, everyone would be cutsick and not want to mod BUT the results and thrills you get out of it adds up to every single penny you've spent and the amount of time and effort you've put into making it happen.

I felt like that at one stage for my car with one of the mods I did. I got my gearbox fully rebuilt with a full 1-4 PPG helical gearset, strengthened synchros & bearings. That set me back $3500 >_< ! But it's all part of modding if don't want the thing to blow up under you! haha

that's my 2 cents :)

tonymeman
09-04-08, 12:24 PM
i get what u mean, its like u set yourself a goal but u lack of funds, after u got the money ready then u started to appreciated the hard-earn money alittle more...

ON888
09-04-08, 12:24 PM
Only when somebody says I'm 'power hungry' or calls me a nazi.

Huh?

Still going on about it... geez! get over it.

lovesil
09-04-08, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the mature stage. I'm pretty much at the same stage with you (or maybe even worse stage).

Put it in another word, i'm not tired of modding, but i become abit more selective when modding. I'm more realistic of what mods' useful and what's useless. To me, big $$ mods' useless if only you use it at the right place (track) frequently. And 3 - 4 track days a year is what i consider as infrequent.

IMO, you've done the right choice. Instead of spending the $$ on un-neccessary mods, might as well spend it on a property.

radism
09-04-08, 12:27 PM
i think he was just cracking a pun/funny with no references to anyone in particular ON888...

Mike.V?!
09-04-08, 12:30 PM
Still going on about it... geez! get over it.

Dude you have a terrible sense of humour. Laugh and enjoy yourself yo!

Andy Wana
09-04-08, 12:31 PM
These days, I am finding myself less enthusiastic about modding my car.
I just want to mod/rice the car lightly and tastefully (i.e. nice wheels, front lip, etc).
If there are things that can be improved on and are better than the factory stuff, I'll do it.
Otherwise, money's better off going towards savings, an investment or my current home.

ON888
09-04-08, 12:33 PM

OH well... in that case haha.

No... just thought you were still going on about it - MY BAD! :mrgreen:

PyRoMaNiAc
09-04-08, 12:48 PM
i havent got much left to go - untill im up for an engine rebuild then shit gets hecktic!

TERRA Operative
09-04-08, 12:55 PM
I think I probably speak for most people here when I say, I hate cars, but I love them.

rupewrecht
09-04-08, 01:01 PM
Cars are evil, and must be modded.

...i can say that with authority as i think of the money i've spent, the piles of parts i've got to go on, and the list of things to do. :rolleyes:

It's worse when you're modding two cars. :lol:

cannonball
09-04-08, 01:01 PM
Spending money on a car is NEVER something you will get a good return on, they are a money pit, pure and simple.

You can keep spending money until the cows come home, or you go broke, whichever comes first, but if you have had enough of the spending, then can you just enjoy your car for what it can give you as it stands? You may think that you need to spend more to get faster, but have you really got the most out of yourself? mabey leave the car as it is and just spend your cash on track days, improving your own driving abilities?
To say that the car won't go any faster without spending more money on it tells me that you are already driving the wheels off the thing, and are not able to squeeze any more out of it. In essence that your being held back by your car....are you sure you cant teach yourself a thing or two more? You dont need a race car to learn how to drive well, if you look at many of the greats, they started in home made contraptions that wouldnt even pass a roadworthy!

Sorry, I'm ranting.

Basically, there are 2 things you can achive when you have an interest in modding and competing in cars. One is car development, the other is driver development. One costs money, the other costs time (and entry fees LOL)

Keven
09-04-08, 01:14 PM
Spending money on cars > Spending money on women

:P :D

ON888
09-04-08, 01:27 PM

lol also - you can do anything you want and they won't argue with you!!!!!

simonster
09-04-08, 01:28 PM

like thrashing it LOL

cannonball
09-04-08, 02:13 PM
Or letting your mates have a go!

renstar
09-04-08, 02:20 PM
Ive been getting carried away lately to the point where i've stopped opening letters from the bank/credit card company because i'm scared of what they say.The only thing that will stop me will be a detonated engine............or maybe it it just spiral out of control from there.

Andy Wana
09-04-08, 02:23 PM
Ive been getting carried away lately to the point where i've stopped opening letters from the bank/credit card company because i'm scared of what they say.The only thing that will stop me will be a detonated engine............or maybe it it just spiral out of control from there.

That can't be good, mate.
I'd be happier with a debt free life than a fully modded car.

lingeringsoul
09-04-08, 02:35 PM
ever since I stopped buying stuff, i actually look forward to the monthly bank statement. lol

wngo
09-04-08, 02:41 PM
just by reading this thread, i have the urge to spend money on the car.
im still a student in h.s without an inflowing source of income, so what i do to the car is minor stuff and i still get a buzz out of it.

RaYmO
09-04-08, 03:15 PM
Spend only what you can afford.

If you can't afford it... start saving...

Taking loans to buy or modify cars doesn't make sense unless you are doing it for tax purposes.

Imagine blowing $xxk well past your budget and then some mofo runs a stop sign and cleans you up or if your ride gets stolen (not so bad if you had put $$ aside for insurance)... You would have accumulated a debt with nothing to show for it at the end of the day (sounds kind of like my uni degree/HECS LOL)

Yes modifying cars may not make sense to everyone... but I like doing little bits to my car that makes it mine...

CaptainColen
09-04-08, 04:01 PM
I had all these things planned but had no money.

I am still in this stage, so it will be interesting to see how things pan out!

you forgot to put it in red writing again...

VTECMACHINE
09-04-08, 04:05 PM
a rule of thumb: Generally people that think for years and SAVE to mod a car, will never have a modded car. people that go "FUCK IT yO!" will go out and buy heaps of shit.

Your young, have fun. You may never have a business, so just enjoy life and buy buy buy... and go fast! hahah

Keven
09-04-08, 04:27 PM
like thrashing it LOL

I know a few girls...

Or letting your mates have a go!

See above...

:lol:

scathing
09-04-08, 04:32 PM
I'm tired of modding my car, to be honest. I just want it done.

I'm almost there, within a reasonable budget. After I get my front camber arms in, a new LSD will "complete" the vehicle from a handling perspective. And my head unit will complete the rest, since my existing one is broken.

StanTheMan
09-04-08, 05:06 PM
well...in my case I bought the car for the joy of driving. I've mostly modded when things wore out or broke. very rarely have I gone & done modding for the sake of modding. Maybe the roll bar & CAI....thats it all the rest has been .....its broken.....lets fix it & make it better at the same time.
I've had the car for 11 years and haven't gotten bored with it.

I have a car which gives me untold amout of Joy......I don't need it to be the flashest or fastest.

lingeringsoul
09-04-08, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I had no problems forking out a few grand on my suspension and tuning etc because I knew it was old and worn and not working well at all. I was hesitant at buying bodykit because nothing was "broken" but I bought it anyway. Now, I'm just against doing engine mods or bigger turbos because nothing is broken.

snappy
09-04-08, 05:55 PM
I was getting tired of spending money on my car, thought about just selling the thing and getting a decent car with less fuel consumption, but last sunday changed everything, went skidpan day to help out a mate and spectate, got home and started ordering parts online, looks like I'm back into the game.

minix3
09-04-08, 05:57 PM

Spend money modding the gf's car. It all works out =D

Edi-no-son
09-04-08, 06:15 PM
Spend money modding the gf's car. It all works out =D

yea.... if only my gf was that into cars....
she wont let me touch her echo lolz :P

TERRA Operative
09-04-08, 06:18 PM

The sex 'aint too crash hot though.

simonster
09-04-08, 06:20 PM
yea.... if only my gf was that into cars....
she wont let me touch her echo lolz :P

i put rota slipstream on my gf echo and she like why the f* you remove my hub caps :shock:

minix3
09-04-08, 06:27 PM
The sex 'aint too crash hot though.

modified car > sex =D

my wonderful bf bought me sway bars as well as an ipod cable.
Spending money modding my car = best boyfriend ever =D

lionhart87
09-04-08, 07:22 PM
^ LOL
I'm at the same stage where I won't replace anything unless its "broken" or needs attention. Maybe that will change after my next track day

Nightingale
09-04-08, 07:41 PM
I've reached the point myself where modding the car has taken a lower priority now. I still get a buzz out of it, but there are bigger priorities now.

When I first started modding, it was a great hobby. It still is, and will always be a money pit. The idea was one of continual improvement, to be quicker, to handle better, and continually "evolve".

Recently, I found I haven't always needed to push the speed limits, 10km/h above speed limit was fine. I don't have the urge to keep up with a car speeding off into the distance anymore. A slow but safe overtake is just as good as a boot it to the floor overtake.

And worst of all, I have recently set my boost control to the low level for daily driving. Is it growing up, being mature? Who knows. I'd like to think of it, as much as I love modding cars and still do, I have realised life is so much more, and I'd like to have time (and money) for other things too. :)

DreadAngel
09-04-08, 08:43 PM
Nah, you slowly realising petrol is killing you lol :p

Kaotic
09-04-08, 09:11 PM
well i think its not all about modding... its also about getting to know your car and where things are and how it all works... as every car is slightly/very different, its always interesting to find new things and how it all goes together...

once you know how things work then you can start modding... And no it doesnt get boring for me:)

NO10VE
09-04-08, 09:20 PM
I hate this thread, making realise that I might have to mature soon :(

haha

llama_au
09-04-08, 09:23 PM
I wish I had that problem. I want to stop modding, but can't :(

well...in my case I bought the car for the joy of driving. I've mostly modded when things wore out or broke. very rarely have I gone & done modding for the sake of modding. Maybe the roll bar & CAI....thats it all the rest has been .....its broken.....lets fix it & make it better at the same time.
I've had the car for 11 years and haven't gotten bored with it.

I have a car which gives me untold amout of Joy......I don't need it to be the flashest or fastest.

I hate to admit it, but for 5 years I've been modding for the sake of modding. Now owning three cars...it has to come to an end. There's a few more little plans aimed at long-term reliability...and that's it. I just can't do it anymore.

lingeringsoul
09-04-08, 09:27 PM
to stop myself modding, I've bought a busted second hand engine that I'm going to strip apart and rebuild on the cheap. Hopefully that'll keep me occupied from having to spend ridiculous money on the car.

scathing
09-04-08, 09:45 PM
I've bought a busted second hand engine that I'm going to strip apart and rebuild on the cheap. Hopefully that'll keep me occupied from having to spend ridiculous money on the car.

....unless your "on the cheap" turns in to "Tomei/JUN internals" and a whole bunch of other nice parts....

dopey
09-04-08, 09:52 PM
No matter what car I buy, I don't think I'll ever be able to resist adding my own touches.

After the bullshit I went through with the FC, I'm done with engine rebuilds and that sort of thing (At least, I think so) but minor mods are always on the cards. Hell, I bought my Tiida with the intention of leaving it bone stock, and that lasted all of about a fortnight before I started fiddling around with it.....

So in short, tired of major modding yes, tired of small mods no

Bang A Dang
09-04-08, 10:14 PM
...And if im not wasting time on my own car then it will on my friends and clients cars.

hehehe true thing!

rusty1
09-04-08, 10:14 PM
Iv'e slowed down, I got to 200rwkw and am happy with that power. Maybe a bit of body kitting and some cosmetics cause I don't drive it all the time and I have been a little concerned about the crackdown on modified cars. :rolleyes:

I also bought a new toy on the weekend which has given me another transport option:mrgreen:

lingeringsoul
09-04-08, 11:29 PM
....unless your "on the cheap" turns in to "Tomei/JUN internals" and a whole bunch of other nice parts....

hah ah ah highly unlike. more like 2nd oem parts.

danielb
11-04-08, 09:16 AM
modified car > sex =D

Maybe you aren't doing it right :lol:

I don't really have the money to do crazy mods. I'm looking to buy my first property next year and it's hard to justify a set of wheels or semi slicks with this in the back of my mind.

I still enjoy it as much as i always have, it's just not as much of an all-encompassing desire as it once was. Plus, i have a motorbike which is simply fun to ride without mods, as i know the biggest gain can be made through improving my skills. Too bad i got done speeding yesterday on it, and am now suspended for 3 months as i was on my P's :lol:

cannonball
11-04-08, 11:34 AM
Spending money modding my car = best boyfriend ever =D

Spending money on modifying GF's car = perpetually broke with my own car getting no closer to completion:cry:

But finally the GF's car is at a point where we're happy with it, so as long as she doesnt break anything, then my own car should see the light of day in a few months.

Then its on to the next project:mrgreen:

EGG80X
11-04-08, 12:31 PM
I think its a matter of lifestyle......

You are who you hang around, most of my mates are now married and starting families plus my workmates are into 4wding hence I have toned down on my modding as compared to my previous car and haven't been tracking my car much.

I am actually shopping for a forester or an outlander lol

Mr Happ
11-04-08, 09:15 PM
Interesting thread. I think for a lot of guys playing with cars is a phase that they will go through, and then move on to property, family and a nissan xtrail.

For others its a scene they are in due to friendship circles.

And then there are those of us who have a real problem.

I have been car mad since i was about 12 years old, hell...i used to go to the local library as a 13 year old to paw over Motor and Wheels! (the best day of my life was when they sold the last years periodicals (Motor/Wheels) for 20 cents each :cool:

None of my close friends or family are into cars at all, so cars have always been at the periphery to my daily life, effectively doing car stuff was/is a break from work/family/friends etc. I have met some great people in the broader car scene and learnt a lot while sharing a real sense of camaradery.

I've played with a different cars over the years, N15 SSS, Alfa 147 GTA, 3 MX5s (2 were Turbo) and now the Typhoon......for me, i dont think this is a phase that will pass..i've just turned 30 and convinced the GF that in 2 years the F6 will be retired from daily use and built to weekend circuit spec.

I'll be farking around with and wasting money on cars for a long time to come :cool:

llama_au
11-04-08, 09:27 PM

I fall into both of those categories. There's no hope for me.

Iain
11-04-08, 10:40 PM
motivation for me has been a issue also funds~~~`but i think u have to set goals and stick to them for me~~my goal is to be the first person to enter a aw11 into a Drift comp (privateer of course)

haha im babbling shit but meh i never get tired anymore lol

lingeringsoul
12-04-08, 01:15 AM
I have friend and I have REALLY close friends that go back 10 years. The close friend don't like cars at all. This actually made me go out and make more other friend. So now, I have one half that into gaming, and business etc etc and the other half that are car nuts. So it's a bit hard to balance out when one day you decide to stop modding but then 2 days down the line, a track day pops up and all your car nuts friends are all attending.

it's really hard to sit on the side line.

R-Tune
12-04-08, 01:52 AM
Iv'e slowed down, I got to 200rwkw and am happy with that power. Maybe a bit of body kitting and some cosmetics cause I don't drive it all the time and I have been a little concerned about the crackdown on modified cars. :rolleyes:

I also bought a new toy on the weekend which has given me another transport option:mrgreen:

Congrats on the new car Phil.

R-Tune
12-04-08, 02:22 AM
Interesting thread. I think for a lot of guys playing with cars is a phase that they will go through, and then move on to property, family and a nissan xtrail.

I have been car mad since i was about 12 years old, hell...i used to go to the local library as a 13 year old to paw over Motor and Wheels! (the best day of my life was when they sold the last years periodicals (Motor/Wheels) for 20 cents each :cool:

None of my close friends or family are into cars at all, so cars have always been at the periphery to my daily life, effectively doing car stuff was/is a break from work/family/friends etc. I have met some great people in the broader car scene and learnt a lot while sharing a real sense of camaradery.

I've played with a different cars over the years, N15 SSS, Alfa 147 GTA, 3 MX5s (2 were Turbo) and now the Typhoon......for me, i dont think this is a phase that will pass..i've just turned 30 and convinced the GF that in 2 years the F6 will be retired from daily use and built to weekend circuit spec.

I'll be farking around with and wasting money on cars for a long time to come :cool:

Not sure if i'm going thru a phase ????? If it is a phase it been going on for over 20 years . I do own a 2007 Nissan Xtrail (Family car) and a S15 (weekend car) and some property.

I had no real choice in the matter my father rallied Datsun's (1600/180b sss/ 260z) thru out 1970's and 80's I spend my weekends in the back of service van in the middle of the state forest somewhere. My first car was one of Dad's old 1600's Rally car's he gave to me as a wreck when I was 15. I owned that 1600 for 17 years. At one stage (early twenties) I had 3 1600's. I was hoping it would slow down a bit when I turned thirty but it got worse. I sold my pride and joy 1600.Then I started to get serious with the S15. I would say that I finished stage one on the S15 2 years ago. Have not change much last 2 years. Just fluids , brake pads and semis really. Still expensive thou ! For me modding is all about Quality not Quantity.

I wonder if this phase will still be going strong in 20 years time when i'm 56 !

nebuchernezzer
18-05-08, 02:46 AM
The older I get the more I know which mods I want and will enjoy and which are a waste of time or will actually make my car worse for most things.
Also you come to appreciate the quality of OEM parts.

Standard airboxes, full interiors, quiet exhausts and so on are things I like quite alot for a drifter haha.

be the first person to enter a aw11 into a Drift comp
I presume you mean locally, as aw11s were one of THE two most popular drift cars back in the day (the day being 1990 or so). The other was the AE86.

wngo
18-05-08, 03:09 AM
i put rota slipstream on my gf echo and she like why the f* you remove my hub caps :shock:

fuck Simon! if Priscilla doesnt want them, i'll have em! :D
I'll even throw in my Mitsu hubbies.

Mz OoSKYLINEoO
18-05-08, 10:27 AM
Recently I had been really really tired of modding and had only wanted to see the boys car get done.

Now I have a new set of wheeks which set my daily off nicely I have a whole new appreciation for my car and can't wait to modify her some more :D