PDA

View Full Version : Any film students/geeks? Re: Akira Kurosawa/Lurhmann/Hitchcock

cooling
17-04-08, 07:36 PM
Hey guys.
Remember me? It's been a long while since I've posted.....

Sooo.... I'm writing this paper on adaptations of Shakespeare on film, more specifically Kurosawa's Throne of Blood and I got bored, felt like procrastinating, so, here I am....

I swear when I started this thread I had a question with the utmost relevance to my essay, but ... it's gone. LOL.

Anyway. Are there any film students/geeks here?
Or anyone seen any of the below movies/know the terms and wanna contribute to my time-wasting? Anything will do, even what you thought of them.
:D

Films:
Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood
Baz Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet
Alfred Hitchcock's Rope
Jean Luc Godard's Contempt

Terms:
French New Wave
Mise-en-scene
Time and Space (Film theory)
Noh theatre
Adaptation (Film theory)

scathing
17-04-08, 08:09 PM
Baz Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet

The only one I've seen.

Seemed like a great idea, and it certainly made it more "viewable" to young audiences who think Shakespeare is boring, but to be honest the fast pace of the dialogue made it hard to follow since its not in the modern venacular.

I just gave up listening to the words since I had no idea what they were talking about, and just got lost in Leo's eyes. He's so dreamy.

van
17-04-08, 08:18 PM
On the topic of Kurosawa, Seven Samurai is being remade.

Start dying inside... now.

Buddah
17-04-08, 08:30 PM
My understanding of Mise-en-scene is that its everything that makes up a scene. IE: lighting costumes soundtrack camera angles and such.

I learnt about it but only at a hsc level, so my knowledge of that is kinda brief.

Thats pretty much all i know about all that stuff. I'm sure i learnt some of it but i don't remember a thing lol

scathing
17-04-08, 08:32 PM
Adaptation (Film theory)

As an idea, its great. In reality, its shit. Film rarely ever conveys the same gravitas as the book its based on.

When you read a book, you get to read what the characters are thinking and their subsequent motivations. Unless you're talking about a film-noir voiceover type deal, that is pretty much impossible with film. I just find that, as a result, you lose too much. If you liked the book, you'll find the movie lacking.

Then, there's Hollywood's general inability to do a movie true to the book. Since its a business, money is the bottom line and so Hollywood regularly changes the storyline to make it more palatable to conservative "middle America". Or completely misses the point, although that's more common for comic book adaptations rather than novel adaptations.

For every Bladerunner, which is very unlike "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" but still a very good movie, you get lots of Daredevil and Ghost Rider adaptations (and the non-Burton/Nolan Batman movies) which were nauseatingly bad.

Babalouie
17-04-08, 08:33 PM
10 Things I Hate About You was based on Taming of the Shrew I believe :D

Maybe you should add that to your list :D

Trolls Royce
17-04-08, 08:36 PM
If I wanted to pick an internet fight with you, how would i best respond?

cooling
17-04-08, 08:44 PM
But Alan, that's the whole basis of adaptation theory, that we are so full of it with the literary version that we don't see and appreciate the film version as a new text itself. So, adaptation isn't really, "this is a movie based on THIS original text", but more "this is a movie".
Basically judge the film on its own merits before you start giving it expectations based on what it drew its plot from. But some second rate films are just second rate. Esp when directors/producers are more driven by money than actual cinematic stuff.

*edit in* You can't judge a film's merit on its "faithfulness" to a text. wWere you lose literary words, syntax and play, you gain visual, audio mise-en-scene stuff.... its an entirely different experience and should be judged on a different merit system, not one based on the original text?

I don't know. This whole film thing is new to me. I'm a literature student.

Anabolic - I'm not quite sure what you're asking. How would you pick an internet fight with me? Or given we're in the middle of a textual battle, what kind of retort should you come up with?

cooling
17-04-08, 08:53 PM
10 Things I Hate About You was based on Taming of the Shrew I believe :D

Maybe you should add that to your list :D

I would, and I'd use Hamlet too, but there's actually a 'film guide' I'm not supposed to deviate from. :(

scathing
17-04-08, 08:57 PM
But Alan, that's the whole basis of adaptation theory, that we are so full of it with the literary version that we don't see and appreciate the film version as a new text itself. So, adaptation isn't really, "this is a movie based on THIS original text", but more "this is a movie".

Well, in that case, don't give it the same title as the movie, don't have the gravelly voiceover guy tell me that its based on this award-winning or well-loved literary work, etc.

If a film maker wants to leverage a book or comic's popularity to bring in consumers....I mean audience, expect the audience to compare it to said storyline that they know and love.

cooling
17-04-08, 09:08 PM
No, see Luhrmann's R&J?
He completely trashes the original. But he creates this crazy, fast paced, image-based new version. With new meanings and new context and just new everything. He makes it postmodern.

I would argue that it critiques and makes fun of youth culture more than it targets it. :P

I just gave up listening to the words since I had no idea what they were talking about, and just got lost in Leo's eyes. He's so dreamy.

:O
You can't deny the italicized so in "so dreamy" Alan, I'm telling Carmen on you.

P.S. My lavender poetic shirt lecturer dude lectures on Thursdays if you want to come, he just might find your car oh-so-masculinely attractive. Lol. :P

Anyhoo. Let me know if you wanna do my other brilliant essay for me mr. scath-likesboys-ing. :P

scathing
17-04-08, 09:14 PM
No, see Luhrmann's R&J?
He completely trashes the original. But he creates this crazy, fast paced, image-based new version. With new meanings and new context and just new everything. He makes it postmodern.

I never said it was a good movie. I said it "seemed like a good idea", like communism and VTEC.

So it still doesn't really rule out my "adaptations are shit" assertion.

cooling
17-04-08, 09:24 PM
So it still doesn't really rule out my "adaptations are shit" assertion.

Nor that you have a unconscious desire to be in a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex as you.

rodent
18-04-08, 03:14 AM
I missed the days when cooling and scathing used to have so much text. Please stay Norma!

On a slightly more relevant note, I loved R+J for mainly for the reasons cooling stated above. But not only did it mock youth culture, it also satirised the more mature characters, respected institutions (the church and the friar in particular) and even the media. All without deviating too much from the text. Shakespeare himself would have been proud.

For an example of an attempt that has met in epic failure, see the Hitch Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy :P

jonno.

minix3
18-04-08, 03:51 AM
You can't deny the italicized so in "so dreamy" Alan, I'm telling Carmen on you.

P.S. My lavender poetic shirt lecturer dude lectures on Thursdays if you want to come, he just might find your car oh-so-masculinely attractive. Lol. :P

Anyhoo. Let me know if you wanna do my other brilliant essay for me mr. scath-likesboys-ing. :P

It's OK, I always knew there was something off due to the fact he takes 2 or 3 times as long as me to do his hair in the morning.

zawrilla
18-04-08, 08:59 PM
I missed the days when cooling and scathing used to have so much text. Please stay Norma!

On a slightly more relevant note, I loved R+J for mainly for the reasons cooling stated above. But not only did it mock youth culture, it also satirised the more mature characters, respected institutions (the church and the friar in particular) and even the media. All without deviating too much from the text. Shakespeare himself would have been proud.

For an example of an attempt that has met in epic failure, see the Hitch Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy :P

jonno.

Aww..jonno comon, be nice to Hitch Hikers'
I have to agree R+J was excellent, I can still watch it now even after studying it to death at school.

And I don't care how far from the book, or which way you criticise it, I reckon that Hitch Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy is amazingly funny. And yes, I loved the book as well.