Page 1 of 19 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Car care tips

Daily
    XR8

Car care tips

Hi all,

Ive done up a Car car maintenance and procedures document which I have been giving to the owners of cars which I have recently worked on.

I though it'd be a good idea to post it up so the members can have a better idea of whats involved in car care.

I have not gone too much in detail with compounding and polishing as it ca get a bit confusing in writing and secondly it doesnt fit on an A4 page when printed.

Here it goes....

Enclosed are some helpful tips and correct procedures that you can follow to ensure that your cars protection and finish will give you long term results.

Correct Washing Methods

*Note- It is not recommended that the vehicle is washed using a brush system as this will cause major damage to the vehicles paint by inducing swirls and scratches. If you need to use a self serve car wash then it is highly recommended that you bring your own bucket/s, mitt and solution.

1. Wash your vehicle in a well shaded area away from dust and trees. If you do not have any shelter then wash your vehicle when the temperature is cooler such as early in the morning or late afternoon.
    2. Using the 2 bucket method, mix up one bucket with your favourite car shampoo and fill the other with just plain water.
    3. Hose off the vehicle to loosen up any dirt or contaminants.
    4. Using a lambs wool or microfibre wash mitt, dunk the mitt into the car wash solution and begin to wash vehicle from the top down. Make sure that the mitt is rinsed off after each panel in the bucket of plain water. This will ensure that no dirt is trapped in the mitt which can cause swirling and scratches to the vehicle.
    5. Use a different mitt or sponge to clean the wheels.
    6. Once the whole vehicle has been washed with the solution and mitt, Rinse off from top to bottom. This ensures that all the foam and dirt runs off the vehicle.
    7. Use a large Microfibre waffle weave towel to dry the vehicle from the top down. Move the towel in a side to side motion as this will minimise the chances of inducing any swirls and scratches.
    8. Use a separate smaller waffle weave towel or chamois to dry wheels and door jambs.

Cleaning with Quick Detailers

Quick detailers are formulated with polymer cleaning agents which help remove fresh surface contaminants without the need for water or shampoo.
    Fresh contaminants such as tree sap, bird droppings, bug residue and light dust can be removed by doing the following.
    1. Spray the surface/contaminant with the Quick Detailer and let it penetrate for a few seconds.
    2. Using a microfibre towel, wipe off the contaminant until it is fully removed.
    3. Spray the cleaned area again with the QD and buff to a shine with a different microfibre towel.
    Quick detailers also provide temporary protection. That is why it is recommended that it is applied to the surface once it has been cleaned.

Interior Fabric and leather Cleaning/Maintenance

*Note- It is not recommended that solvent based products are used to clean the interior fabric, vinyl or leather of your vehicle as solvents can break down and dry out the material it is applied to thus reducing any protection which has been applied to it.

1. Vacuum the interior fabric and carpets regularly making sure you get in-between the stitchings and folds.
    2. Leather and vinyl should be wiped down regularly with a damp warm microfibre towel.
    3. If any stains or spills occur on fabric or leather then it should be soaked then dried with a microfibre towel. Mild steam cleaning is recommended for stubborn stains.
    Daily
    XR8

De-waxing Driven Multi-surface Cleaner (MSC)
    Recommended every 6-12 months.
    Ensure that vehicle is clean and not in direct sunlight. While car is wet, spray diluted MSC onto vehicle and allow to sit for a few minutes. Wash with mitt and car wash solution then dry.

Oxidation & Contaminant Removal Bilt-Hamber Auto Clay -Clay magic Blue
    Recommended every 2-3 months depending on exposure to contaminants.
    Make sure vehicle is clean. Work a 2x2ft area at a time. Use car wash solution or quick detailer as a lubricant and mist it onto surface. Place clay on lubricated area and without any pressure sweep it in a side to side motion until surface feels smooth. Check and knead clay after each panel(more often if surface is highly contaminated). Remember to keep surface lubricated so clay doesn’t marr the paint.

Severe paint defects, oxidation & fading(Compounding) -Prima Cut
    Recommended for machine application only and requires a second step with a lighter abrasive polish. Use with wool or LC foam cutting pad.
    Call for further instructions

Swirls & scratches (medium abrasive) [U]-Prima Swirl -Driven Finish Restorer [U]
    Recommended for hand and machine application.
    By hand Recommended for use with LC Orange or White/gold hand pad. Work product in a 2x2ft area until desired results are reached or until product is broken down. Wipe off residue with m/f towel.
    By machine Recommended for use with LC orange, green or white pad. Call for further instructions.

Finishing polish/ Paint cleaner -Prima Finish (light abrasive) - Prima Amigo (glaze)
    Prima finish- removes fine paint imperfections and hazing. Suited for softer paints.
    By hand Recommended for use with LC white/gold hand pad. Work product in a 2x2ft area until desired results are reach or until product is broken down. Wipe off residue with m/f towel.
    By machine Recommended for use with LC white or grey pad. Call for further instructions.

Prima Amigo- Fills in light surface imperfections and cleans the remains of other prep steps.
    By hand Apply to vehicle using LC white/gold hand pad working a 2x2ft area at a time. Buff off residue with m/f towel.
    By machine recommended for use with LC Grey pad. Call for further instructions.

Sealants & waxes -Prima Epic-Prima -Banana Gloss -P21s Carnauba
    -Driven Auto polish

By hand Recommended to apply with LC white/gold hand pad. Allow to haze for specified amount of time(stated on bottle) and buff off residue with m/f towel.
    By machine Recommended to apply with LC Red pad and random orbital (RO). Buff off residue with m/f towel. Call for further instructions.

Spray waxes & Quick Detailers -Prima Hydro -Prima Slick -Driven Quick spray
    Ensure that vehicle is clean and free of contaminants.
    Spray/mist product on to surface and buff with a plush m/f towel. Repeat for extra gloss and slickness.

Interior leather & vinyl -Prima Nero -Driven VRL protectant
    Apply product using a foam applicator pad. Work product until it’s broken down or disappears. Wipe off any residue with a m/f towel.
    Daily
    96 AE111 Levin

great stuff !!

don't give away all your trade tips, otherwise you'll have no business LOL
    Daily
    Reverse Bum-dragger

Hey thats pretty sweet, spellit out in laymans terms for all the nubs/ people who have never quite gotten their heads around all the complicated aspects of car car.

Can i add a couple of tips to the list....?

1. Never get into a car with your shoes on. All it does is mash the soft pile of the floor matts into an uncomfortable and compacted layer of fluff.

2. Never get into your car after getting filthy nasty with your engine, g/box, or anything greasy.

3. Use a god damn sunshade cloth thingy when you park the car for long periods in the hot sun...nobody approves of a cracked dash.
    Daily
    XR8

Anyone can add to this mate.
    Im sure others out there will have some tips of their own.

All in all, it is a forum and we're all here to help eachother

Cheers
    Dave
    Daily
    HC3S/N15/B7

Quote Originally Posted by striken2o View Post
    great stuff !!

don't give away all your trade tips, otherwise you'll have no business LOL
    He'll have plenty of business..

Not only because it takes a lot of practice and experience to get the techniques right.. but mostly because detailing is fkn hard work (especially in the warmer months!) that's worth paying for someone else to do
    Daily
    Subaru

Quote Originally Posted by dopey View Post
    He'll have plenty of business..

Not only because it takes a lot of practice and experience to get the techniques right.. but mostly because detailing is fkn hard work (especially in the warmer months!) that's worth paying for someone else to do
    Damn straight it is fkn hard work.

I try and do those car care tips at least once a week sometimes more. Im getting ocd now since i keep clothes, interior detailer, exterior detailer, bug/tar remover, odour eliminator and a deodorant in the car now.

Even with the regular cleaning and care i take with my car regularly im still going to get DaveXR8 to work on my car soon.

Especially with the climate we have now Dave will be getting alot of business.
    Daily
    Datto

Quote Originally Posted by DaveXR8 View Post
    7. Use a large Microfibre waffle weave towel to dry the vehicle from the top down. Move the towel in a side to side motion as this will minimise the chances of inducing any swirls and scratches.
    Most people traditionally use a chamois, but I can see how this can cause issues with scratching. I've got a Micropak waffle weave towel and I find that it doesn't really get rid of water as well as a chamois does though. :-(

I might have to hit up my mate who distributres Micropak goods and get more microfibre towels though - they are a lot nicer than the Meguiars stuff I've been using in the past.
    Daily
    s14

Quote Originally Posted by scathing View Post
    Most people traditionally use a chamois, but I can see how this can cause issues with scratching. I've got a Micropak waffle weave towel and I find that it doesn't really get rid of water as well as a chamois does though. :-(

I might have to hit up my mate who distributres Micropak goods and get more microfibre towels though - they are a lot nicer than the Meguiars stuff I've been using in the past.

Speed dryer FTW =)

What are these waffle weave towels?...Damn, I don't know much about cleaning my car
    Daily
    Datto

They're a microfibre cloth towel where the weave has some raised parts, giving it a waffle-ish appearance.

They're meant to be really good for getting water off the car.

That's the one I have - unfortunately it didn't come with the car.
Page 1 of 19 1234567811 ... LastLast