Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Car care tips

Daily
    Evolution IX

Those towels are great, but you're right....they don't soak up the water as well, so you end up having to dry the car 2-3 times!

But it's worth it in the end IMO...

Can't remember where my mate got mine from, but cost $50!
    Daily
    Subaru

Where can you get those towels from?

Would be good to see the differences between a chamois on the towels.
    Daily
    Datto

Quote Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
    Mine's a Micropak. Apparently they're a really good brand. One of the guys on the 350Z forum is the Aussie distributor, and he's anal about cleaning his cars. His old 350Z and his M3 are always immaculate.

He was looking for places to sponsor and I sent him this way, given how much people on here like to wash their cars and we're generally not full of the same idiots that infest some forums. I'm surprised nothing has come of it yet. His email address is on the 350Z-Tech link if you want to contact him direct.

I find myself still sheeting the water off (just after you finish rinsing) with a chamois. I don't bother spending too much time with the chamois. Just a quick once over to get the majority of the standing water off the car.

When all you've got left are the small water beads that the chamois inevitably leaves behind, I use the Waffle Weave and it leaves the paint pretty much completely dry.

If I dry with the waffle weave straight after rinsing the towel gets soaked rather quickly, and then loses its ability to dry. I've got it doubled up etc, and it's still no help.
    Daily
    XR8

Michael,
    I retail various types of m/f towels and car care products.
    My new website should be up in the next week or 2 which will have all the products I use for sale aswell.

Some waffle weaves seem to work better than others. You wont know till you actually try them out.
    I use to use some towels branded cobra and they werent that absorbent as the ones I use now.
    Daily
    Subaru

Thanks for the help scathing and dave.

Scathing i do the same thing with the chamois just a quick once over. So these drying towels would be very useful.

Dave let me know once the website is up and running and ill order some products.
    Daily
    HC3S/N15/B7

Micropak cloths are awesome, I've got a lot of them

Best quality Microfibre I've used.
    Daily
    XR8

Thanks for the help scathing and dave.

Scathing i do the same thing with the chamois just a quick once over. So these drying towels would be very useful.

Dave let me know once the website is up and running and ill order some products.
    No problems mate.
    Ill post it up once its all up and going.

Cheers
    Dave
    Daily
    XR8

Waxes and Sealants

Proberly the most asked about by every enthusisast.

Waxes and sealants are the final process when detailing paint surfaces. This is the icing on the cake.
    Although waxes and sealants do add to the gloss and shine of the paint, it all depends on how well you prepare the surface before the final wax/sealant is applied. This consists of proper washing, claying, compounding and polishing(if needed). The smoother and defect free your paint is the better results you will get out of your wax or sealant.

Carnauba wax
    Carnauba is a natural wax which is derived from the Brazilian carnauba palm. This is natures hardest wax, which provides temporary protection and an awsome finish. This is used highly by show car enthusiasts and offers a deeper finish on darker cars. Carnauba wax usually last up to an average of 3 months. When reapplying wax it is important ot make sure that you remove the old wax with a surface cleaner or prepsol because if old wax gets built up it can start to streak and haze depending on humidity conditions.
    There are carnauba waxes in paste and liquid form. Always go for the paste as this is how they are when they are extracted from the palm. The carnauba wax is broken down when it is liquid form so it will not contain as much of the natural carnauba.

Synthetic Wax
    Synthetic wax is usually made from polymers or acrylic resins.
    The polymers give it longer lasting protection, usually up to 6 months and is easier to apply and buff off.
    Although it protects better it does not give the depth and clarity as well as what carnauba wax does.
    Also, if the paint surface is not prepared proplery before the application of the wax it can highlight the defects and make it stand out more than usual.

Sealant
    Sealants are usually arcrylic which makes it the best out of all for protection as it cures more harder and lasts more longer than waxes, usually anywhere from 6-12 months. What a sealant does is it creates a molecular blanket which sits on top of your paint. It gives a better shine compared to the synthetic wax and the good thing about sealants is that once its cured you can layer it or apply carnauba wax over it to give it the showroom shine and finish.

I personally like to use sealants because protection is the main priority and if the surface is prepped properly it can creat some outstanding finishes.

Application of waxes and sealants are very easy.
    Make sure your car is cleaned prepped and dried properly, especially aound exterior trims as they can hold water and if the water runs onto the sealant/wax when applying it it can cause white spots and hazing.

use a foam applicator pad and and apply some of the wax or sealnt onto the pad and work onto paint surface using a back and forth motion to prevent any swirls. Apply it to the whole car then wait about 15 minutes and buff off with a microfibre towel starting from where you started off first working your way to the end. It is important not to apply too much the first time around because only a certain amount will cure onto the paint and all the rest will be buffed off. If you want more protection then layer it after it has cured. Curing usually takes 12-24 hours depending on the product.

Heres a pic of too much wax

This is what you should see when waxing/sealing. only a light haze of it.

Happy motoring:wave:
    Daily
    96 AE111 Levin

i've got myself a jar of kitten cream polishing wax, i tested it out on a couple of panels and it does bead water quite well but no real shine to it...

am i doing something wrong ? cream doesn't haze does it ?
    when buffing, should there be any resistence be felt between the buffing cloth and cream/wax ?
    Daily
    2008 Yaris HB

Dave, you should organize car cleaning sessions... especially where you need the orbital or cutting etc.... it would be a great idea for teaching the enthusiasts about maintaining the car...
    Meguirs does that kind of stuff in the states...
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast