Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Car care tips

Daily
    Reverse Bum-dragger

Quote Originally Posted by striken2o View Post
    i've got myself a jar of kitten cream polishing wax, i tested it out on a couple of panels and it does bead water quite well but no real shine to it...

am i doing something wrong ? cream doesn't haze does it ?
    when buffing, should there be any resistence be felt between the buffing cloth and cream/wax ?
    I use the exact same stuff, comes in a green tin right?

Polish is only used as a sealant prior to a wax coat, using the two together gives a brilliant shine.
    Daily
    XR8

Quote Originally Posted by striken2o View Post
    i've got myself a jar of kitten cream polishing wax, i tested it out on a couple of panels and it does bead water quite well but no real shine to it...

am i doing something wrong ? cream doesn't haze does it ?
    when buffing, should there be any resistence be felt between the buffing cloth and cream/wax ?
    Are you claying or using a paint cleaner polish before applying the wax?
    The performance of a wax relies highly on how well the paint is prepped before hand. Scratches and oxidation in the paint will make the surface look dull and putting wax over the top of it will add a bit of shine but nothing spectacular.

When applying waxes you should only have to apply a light film of it and leave it for a bit to haze then buff off residue with a MF towel. You will feel some resistance with some waxes. Just try using a bit less or dont let it sit for too long before buffing off the residue.

Cheers
    Dave
    Daily
    XR8

Quote Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
    Dave, you should organize car cleaning sessions... especially where you need the orbital or cutting etc.... it would be a great idea for teaching the enthusiasts about maintaining the car...
    Meguirs does that kind of stuff in the states...
    Funny you mentioned that. I was considering such a thing but would need a workshop or similar to hold it.

I was out today looking at a couple small commercial units so you never know, it might be something I will do in the future.

Cheers
    Dave
    Daily
    2008 Yaris HB

Ill be waiting for that... because I guess that is a terrific idea...
    Daily
    Reverse Bum-dragger

Quoted the wrong reply.
    Last edited by cazSW20; 07-04-09 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Nubcake.
    Daily
    Reverse Bum-dragger

Quote Originally Posted by DaveXR8 View Post
    Are you claying or using a paint cleaner polish before applying the wax?
    The performance of a wax relies highly on how well the paint is prepped before hand. Scratches and oxidation in the paint will make the surface look dull and putting wax over the top of it will add a bit of shine but nothing spectacular.

When applying waxes you should only have to apply a light film of it and leave it for a bit to haze then buff off residue with a MF towel. You will feel some resistance with some waxes. Just try using a bit less or dont let it sit for too long before buffing off the residue.

Cheers
    Dave
    Yeah i use a paint cleaner before polish, then wax, occasionally clay if the car needs it (ie if its been under a wattle tree, last weeks heavy rain etc).

I prefer the natural polishes, i have used altoglym silicon sealant, it didnt last very long even with a properly applied coat of hard-setting wax.
    Just out of curiosity Dave, if you were to go all-out on a car and do a huge detail/paint correction etc of the exterior, how long would it take? and how many steps would be involved? (just curious to see if there is anything that i could/should be doing?)

For a good detail i take about 2 to 2.5 hours, and then theres the interior and engine bay (thats probable about 5 hours all up, but i haven't paid the engine bay any attention in months)
    Daily
    XR8

Im not really a fan of silicon based polishes and sealants. The durability aint that great and it feels like it dries out the surface as silicon is a magnet for dust and contaminants. The only products I use which contain silicon is the tyre gels.

Most polishes these days contain polymers which help repel dust and gives the paint a hydrophobic feature which aids in sheeting water off the car making drying the car after washing alot more easier and quicker.

A full detail without paint correction on an average sized car such as a falcon I would usually spend about 4-5 hours on it. This will involve:
    - Exterior wash, wheels and arches
    -De-waxing
    - Clay
    -paint cleaner polish
    -application of wax/sealant (paint, wheels and glass)
    -Treat exterior trims and rubbers
    -clean door, boot, bonnet jambs
    -interior vacuum
    -shampoo mats and carpet
    -clean and treat leather/vinyls
    -clean windows
    -deodoriser

I did a full detail with 2 stage paint correction, glaze and engine bay on my car a while back which took 12 hours over 2 days.
    Daily
    Reverse Bum-dragger

Quote Originally Posted by DaveXR8 View Post
    Im not really a fan of silicon based polishes and sealants. The durability aint that great and it feels like it dries out the surface as silicon is a magnet for dust and contaminants. The only products I use which contain silicon is the tyre gels.

Most polishes these days contain polymers which help repel dust and gives the paint a hydrophobic feature which aids in sheeting water off the car making drying the car after washing alot more easier and quicker.

A full detail without paint correction on an average sized car such as a falcon I would usually spend about 4-5 hours on it. This will involve:
    - Exterior wash, wheels and arches
    -De-waxing
    - Clay
    -paint cleaner polish
    -application of wax/sealant (paint, wheels and glass)
    -Treat exterior trims and rubbers
    -clean door, boot, bonnet jambs
    -interior vacuum
    -shampoo mats and carpet
    -clean and treat leather/vinyls
    -clean windows
    -deodoriser

I did a full detail with 2 stage paint correction, glaze and engine bay on my car a while back which took 12 hours over 2 days.
    Yeah im never comfortable putting anything with chemical warnings or strong, artifical smells on my car.

Im not surprised, 12 hours is pretty crazy.
    Daily
    XR8

Yeah it is crazy but well worth it.
    It doesnt seem to be all that long coz I do it regularly on other people's cars.
    Kinda get use to it after a while
    Daily
    BMW 335i
    2nd Car
    Aprilia SL1000R
    Name
    Shane

Not sure if this is the correct thread for my question but I dare say you will be able to give me a resonse based on experience rather then here say, I was looking for a new chamois the other day and was tempted to buy this:

It seemed really soft and looked like it would be a useful tool, but I stuck with just a conventional chamois.

Have you used a squeegee like this before to dry the car down with after washing?
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast