Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Car care tips

Daily
    XR8

Quote Originally Posted by MXHEVN View Post
    How would you go about looking after carbon fibre? are there products you should not use etc?
    External carbon fibre parts usually have a clear coat ontop of it so you pretty much treat it the same way as you would with paint.
    Interior carbn bits should be the same but just to be safe I just stay away from harsh solvent based cleaners as they can tend cause streaks on the parts.

Cheers
    Dave
    Daily
    XR8

Microfibre

These days Microfibre has been the preferred choice for detailers and enthusiasts around the world when it comes to washing and drying. The reason for this is that it is safer to use and wont induce scratches and swirls like normal towels do.

Normal towels are usually made from a heavy polyester thread which is good if you want a durable towel but its not so good if your looking to clean your car as these threads scratches paint finishes.

Microfibres are split during the construction process. The splitting of the fibres are what makes the towels more softer and more absorbent. Once the fibres are split then they are woven on to a fabric(combination of polyester and polyamide) to create thousands of microscopic loops.

When looking for a towel, you should look for one which contains at least 200,000 fibres per square inch. The higher the fibres the more absorbent and softer the towels will be.

The same applies to wash mitts aswell. Both lambswool and microfibre mitts are the safest to use compared to a normal sponge because when rinsing out the mitt the fibres open u to release any contamination it has picked up.

When choosong microfibre products make sure you select the ones with more fibres or weight per square inch. to me, lighter coloured towels seem to stay more softer and plusher than darker coloured towels.
    For polishing and buffing, look for a nice plush towel with longer fibres. There are towels out there that are Dual sided. One plush side for buffing/polishing and a normal side for general purpose cleaning.
    Waffle weave towels are best for drying as these are designed to be highly absorbent and can absorb more liquid than your regular chamois.

One thing I like to do is pull the little tags /labels off them if there is any on there just so it doesnt scratch the paint(or am I being too paranoid?? hehhe)

Anyways,
    Happy Motoring

Dave
    Daily
    XR8

Here's a tip I got from a colleague at Dream Machines to help clean polishing and applicator pads.

Normally I would just soak my pads in a bucket of water for a few hours before squeezing out all the residue by hand.
    Now I add some Driven Multi surface cleaner (general purpoe cleaner) to the bucket of water at a ratio of about 3-5:1.
    Let it sit for a few hours then squeeze the residue out. I then follow it up again with a clean bucket of water.
    It has taken all the discolouration of of my pad and looks good as new.

Cheers
    Dave
    Daily
    GODZILLA
    2nd Car
    Mark II
    Name
    Luke

That info on microfiber products is great!
    I bought a microfiber wash mitt after you detailed my car so i could keep it looking good for aslong as possible
    Last edited by lukecivic; 17-07-09 at 05:54 PM.
    Daily
    XR8

Quote Originally Posted by lukecivic View Post
    That info on microfiber products is great!
    I bought a microfiber wash mitt after you detailed my car so i could keep it looked good for aslong as possible
    Thats great Luke.
    Towels and sponges are the main culprits when it comes to inducing swirls and scratches.
    If you stick with microfibre you cant go wrong
    Daily
    tri-cycle

damn if only i'd seen this before i waxed my car with too much wax .. :/
    Daily
    96 180SXX

How can you tell whether your car needs a new coat of sealant or wax?...

Is it a time thing or can you actually tell under certain conditions?..

Im using Meguirs products but am confused when it comes too how often to do certain things?...

and Ive never stripped the old wax off before applying new stuff?..never thought you had too...

All these products make it really confusing as too what to do / use and the constant opinions on what to and what not to do
    Daily
    GODZILLA
    2nd Car
    Mark II
    Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by zappy65 View Post

Im using Meguirs products but am confused when it comes too how often to do certain things?...

and Ive never stripped the old wax off before applying new stuff?..never thought you had too...

All these products make it really confusing as too what to do / use and the constant opinions on what to and what not to do
    I usually just go by time, i polish and wax my cars roughly every 3-4 months.
    I can usually tell that the wax is gone by just feeling the car and the way the water runs off the car after a wash. It should bead nicely after a waxing.
    Helpful tip
    For anyone using leather chamois, theyre great for giving it that really good shine right after as they remove a bit of the old dull layers of wax and polish so theyre great if you want your car to shine. But since they remove the waxs and polishes more than microfibre chamois do the car will need regular polishing and waxing
    Daily
    XR8

Quote Originally Posted by zappy65 View Post

what you will notice when you apply a fresh coat of wax is that when you wash the car the water beads and sheets off the car nicely.
    After a period of time or certain amount of washes the beading and sheeting wont be as good as when you first applied the wax. This is when you should reapply.

You will find some Megs waxes will only last 6-8 weeks but the professional line will give you a good few months worth.
    If you want longer protection go with a synthetic wax or sealant.

Every product is different. Some last a few weeks and some can last upto 12 months but it also depends on the environment the car is kept in aswell.

You should only need to dewax the car every 6 months or after about 4applications (not including layering).
    Daily
    XR8

Here a couple videos showing how I compound and polish with a rotary.

No talking in this as I sound like a goof and too much noise aswell

Compounding with Prima Cut and LC PFW pad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTK36hlPJj0

Polsihing with Prima Swirl and White LC pad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGc3-GuoYC8

Will try and do up some more short videos.
    Let me know what you guys might be interested in.

Cheers
    Dave