Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Car care tips

Daily
    NA6 MX5
    Name
    Mitch

What is the best method to get rid of water stains? Tried polishing it off with Meguires Gold of some description, but still there.

When is the next detail day??? I missed the last one
    Daily
    XR8

Quote Originally Posted by zappy65 View Post
    And what about all those stubborn bug entrails and intestines that I gather on my late night "fun" drives...

I was looking at the Bosch Orbital Buffer today, $100 on special

I was also told that to use it to polish, Id need a special fitting to put the pads on, we get a detail whole seller at work for the detailers. He sells mainly 3M stuff?..

Is any of this stuff any good or should I stick to Meguiars

Also, what products best cleans off previous waxes for a new polish?...

ATM, I wash the car with a bug remover (gets the white car clean faster) pad, then just chamois

If I were to fully detail the outside of my car would this be the correct order: wash, clay bar, wash, dewax, cut, swirl remover, polish, sealant or wax?

Thanks heaps for the help thus far
    John
    Gor the bug stains. Pre soak the effected area with a bug remover or some sort of All Purpose Cleaner. This will help soften it up and make it easier when cleaning the car. Just make sure you re wax the area that you apply the cleaner to as it will strip off the wax.

Is there a velcro backing plate on there at the moment? since its an orbital buffer/sander in sure there would be.
    When purchasing lower end orbital you just need to take into mind that these are not built for paint correction use.
    What these are good for is very light swirl removal and to enhance the paint. Can also be use to apply wax and sealants aswell.
    If you want to go for more heavier correction then you will need a forced rotation dual action polisher. These start at around $600.00.

3M product saint bad but are more designed for the panel shop for quick and heavy polishing. Their compounds are pretty heavy which can remove upto 1200 grit sand marks. If you use this be sure to follow it up with the Finese It II finishing polish to remove the buffer trails left from the heavy compound.

In your case I would stick with Meguiars as their range is more suited to the enthusiast and there are more grades of polish to choose from.

To strip off old wax you should use Prepsolve (from Bunnings) or a 1:1 dilution of Ispropyl alcohol (aka IPA) and water. All you need to do is spray onto the surface let it sit for a few seconds then wipe it off.

This is the process that I usually follow.
    wash, dewax, clay, rinse, polish (abrasive), IPA wipe down, sealant/wax app.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Dave
    Daily
    XR8

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_f1 View Post
    What is the best method to get rid of water stains? Tried polishing it off with Meguires Gold of some description, but still there.

When is the next detail day??? I missed the last one
    Where are the water stains? on the paint or glass?

Usually if the water stains dont come off with a quick detail spray the try using presolve or Isopropyl alcohol (IPA).

If neither of the above work then an abrasive polish will need to be used as the water stain would have etched itself into the surface.

Im thinking of doing a car wash day/bbq where people can come detail their cars and get tips along the way.
    Just trying to organise a date but it might not be for a while as most of the other tennants in the unit block are in and out all week as its getting close to xmas.

Cheers
    Dave
    Daily
    NA6 MX5
    Name
    Mitch

its on the paint, but I will give that a go, thanks.

IPA, is that similar to just the methylated spirits you get at the supermarket?
    Daily
    XR8

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_f1 View Post
    its on the paint, but I will give that a go, thanks.

IPA, is that similar to just the methylated spirits you get at the supermarket?
    different mate. IPA doesnt have heavy solvents that meth has.
    You can get IPA from bunnings but i think it only comes in 125ml trigger spray.
    Daily
    a broken car..

Quote Originally Posted by DaveXR8 View Post
    Where are the water stains? on the paint or glass?

Usually if the water stains dont come off with a quick detail spray the try using presolve or Isopropyl alcohol (IPA).

If neither of the above work then an abrasive polish will need to be used as the water stain would have etched itself into the surface.

Im thinking of doing a car wash day/bbq where people can come detail their cars and get tips along the way.
    Just trying to organise a date but it might not be for a while as most of the other tennants in the unit block are in and out all week as its getting close to xmas.

Cheers
    Dave
    Oh Yes, im keen for this day Dave
    Daily
    XR8

This is not really car related but i used my car products to restore my wifes Channel bag.

My wife recnetly had a spill in her bag and soaked it in some warm water then hung it out to dry.

This was the result of it.

I told her not to chuck it out and ill use my "Detailing Skills" to bring it back to life.

I used Driven vinyl/rubber/leather conditioner and a foam applicator pad and some elbow grease.

50/50's

I let the first coat sit for about 30 minutes then I went over it with another coat.
    Finals

She loves me that little bit more now
    Daily
    JDM EVO VII
    2nd Car
    BMW e92, Mazda RX8
    Name
    Gerald

bah, 4 weeks late, my gf sold her chanel for only 300ish while she bought it for like 2.2k a while back coz it's too dull.. if i could bring it back to life like this, i'm pretty sure a whole week of good foods are always on the table every night..
    Daily
    XR8

Been a while since I contributed to my own thread

Here's a blog site that I have been working on for a while.

Car Detailing Sydney

It provides car owners and enthusiasts with necessary information to detail and clean a car properly.

At the moment it contains basic information on "How To's" and some other important information.

Please contribute to this site if you have any hints and tips which might be helpful to other enthusiasts.

I will be adding more topics and information as time goes by and will try get pictures and videos done.

Cheers
    Dave

i've got one for you dave,
    how to get the smoker smell out of a car.