Thread: How To: Measure OFFSET on your Rims

Daily
    S15 Sil
    2nd Car
    MK Troll
    Name
    Kevin DV14NT

How To: Measure OFFSET on your Rims

ok guys, heaps of people have been comming up to me, either asking me "what offset do you think my rims are?/what offset should i go with to get new rims?"

umm, hello0o0o! just because i used to work in a tyre shop, doesn't mean i can tell the offset just by lookin at it, i cant remember the whole book and all the measurements ive taken on a particular car to work out the perfect rim size/offset for yours..

and aswell, some rims dont have their offsets printed on them, especially custom rims/2-piece or 3-piece rims (as in my case)

well just to be nice, here is a little tutorial on how to measure the offset on your rims if they havnt got anything stamped on them, ii hope its not to difficult to follow..

1st, get the rim, and measure the width across from one side to the other side. remember, just because the rim is 7.5", it doesnt mean its 7.5" from one edge to the other edge, its only 7.5" from the 2 inner lips. In my case, this is 318mm

or if there is a tyre mounted on the rim, lay the rim down on a flat surface & put a straight edge across the top of the rims and measure it from the ground-up through the spokes of the rims to the straight edge on top, but the 1st method is more accurate. if you could, try and deduct the overhang of the tyre on the edge of the rim on both sides.

now take that measurement and divide it by 2, that is the measurement of the centre line, which we will use further on in the tutorial. In my case, this is 318 divided by 2 = 159

now lay the rim down "FACE FLAT" on a level surface and measure the backspace of the rim (the face of the hub mounting surface to the rear edge of the rim). In my case, this is 150mm

Ohkay, now get the backspace measurment (150), and subtract the centreline measurement (159) and the answer is your offset (-9)

hope this helps you people out, and it wasnt a total waste of your time reading it
    [Eat - Sleep - Drift]

lol good info on offset for those who still not sure what it is and how to calculate
    Daily
    Supercharged MX5
    2nd Car
    R33 S2

Great post! Thanks
    Daily
    S15 Sil
    2nd Car
    MK Troll
    Name
    Kevin DV14NT

haha no worries. it makes me happy that i can help people out and they appreciate it.
    unlike nissansilvia.com, they flame me and make rediculous unneeded comments...
    [Eat - Sleep - Drift]
    Daily
    96 AE111 Levin

sticky asap !!
    Daily
    8L A3T
    Name
    Raymond

That's the way I do it too. Just gotta be careful that your measurements are completely perpendicular, cos as we all know, the offset game is down to the millimetres! I try to use set squares if I can (had them from my days of doing technical drawing).
    Daily
    Polar Bear GTR
    2nd Car
    Steel cap boots
    Name
    Dom

use a laser level lol nah good post. i serzly cbf measuring some rims cos numbers make my head hurt
    Daily

I measure the offset by reading the Label on the back with the size haha lol.
    Daily
    S15 Sil
    2nd Car
    MK Troll
    Name
    Kevin DV14NT

Quote Originally Posted by [ IV 23 VI ] View Post
    I measure the offset by reading the Label on the back with the size haha lol.
    haha yess, you could also do that.
    but in some cases as with most custom 2/3 piece rims, there arnt any offsets printed on the rim
    [Eat - Sleep - Drift]
    Daily
    00 Nissan Stagea
    2nd Car
    R33 Four Door Love
    Name
    Phill

Great tutorial, this will definitely come in handy measuring some of my rims
    www.fitmentsolutions.com - Guard rolling and Freight help!
    Servicing South East Queensland Since 2014

Follow me on Facebook
    Email: [email protected]

Official Dealer:
    GoPro Camera - Fortune Auto Coilovers - Turbosmart - Ultra Racing Bracing - Enkei - Boss Air Suspension

You can find me: www.silviansw.com, www.aus-vip.com, www.nissansportscarclub.org, www.m35stagea.info

Previous rides: S12, N14 SSS, Cefiro, B2 180sx, JZZ30, R33, S14A, A31, R34, R33, C34 Wagonist
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast