Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How To: Measure OFFSET on your Rims

Daily
    S13/'75 CB400F

thanks for this. i took some measurements of my rims using this. my offset is -27

the over all width of the wheel is 10 inches so take off an inch for the 2 lips and i guess they're 9 inch

thanks again
    Daily
    S15 Sil
    2nd Car
    MK Troll
    Name
    Kevin DV14NT

Quote Originally Posted by MiKe1_golf View Post
    thanks for this. i took some measurements of my rims using this. my offset is -27

the over all width of the wheel is 10 inches so take off an inch for the 2 lips and i guess they're 9 inch

thanks again
    im glad you appreciate it
    [Eat - Sleep - Drift]
    Daily
    Toyota Carina GT
    2nd Car
    Thinking...
    Name
    Munawar Helal Chowdhury

That was really helpful and informative. Picture describes 1000 words...
    Daily
    CAMRY
    2nd Car
    Datsun 260z
    Name
    Joel Casey

thanks buddy ive looked on youtube and all i get is yanks talking crap
    Daily
    evolution 8

Nice post, very helpful!
    Daily
    bmw
    Name
    Giorgio

Great post. For me more useful information than offset is wheel backspace and frontspace. I use several times this calculator to find out backspacing when I have wheel offset: tyresizecalculator.com
    Daily
    Prius
    Name
    Scott Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Dori_FC View Post
    ok guys, heaps of people have been comming up to me, either asking me "what offset do you think my rims are?/what offset should i go with to get new rims?"

umm, hello0o0o! just because i used to work in a tyre shop, doesn't mean i can tell the offset just by lookin at it, i cant remember the whole book and all the measurements ive taken on a particular car to work out the perfect rim size/offset for yours..

and aswell, some rims dont have their offsets printed on them, especially custom rims/2-piece or 3-piece rims (as in my case)

well just to be nice, here is a little tutorial on how to measure the offset on your rims if they havnt got anything stamped on them, ii hope its not to difficult to follow..

1st, get the rim, and measure the width across from one side to the other side. remember, just because the rim is 7.5", it doesnt mean its 7.5" from one edge to the other edge, its only 7.5" from the 2 inner lips. In my case, this is 318mm

or if there is a tyre mounted on the rim, lay the rim down on a flat surface & put a straight edge across the top of the rims and measure it from the ground-up through the spokes of the rims to the straight edge on top, but the 1st method is more accurate. if you could, try and deduct the overhang of the tyre on the edge of the rim on both sides.

now take that measurement and divide it by 2, that is the measurement of the centre line, which we will use further on in the tutorial. In my case, this is 318 divided by 2 = 159

now lay the rim down "FACE FLAT" on a level surface and measure the backspace of the rim (the face of the hub mounting surface to the rear edge of the rim). In my case, this is 150mm

Ohkay, now get the backspace measurment (150), and subtract the centreline measurement (159) and the answer is your offset (-9)

hope this helps you people out, and it wasnt a total waste of your time reading it
    Can someone help me out and tell me what + offset they get with these measurments?

Thanks A lot!
    Last edited by Accordlayingkit; 18-06-14 at 01:50 PM. Reason: correction
    Daily
    Prius
    Name
    Scott Jackson

Well anyone know how to post pictures to this forum?
    Banned
    Daily
    Nissan Dualis
    2nd Car
    Nissan S15
    Name
    Col

Yes good point on the rim size too... outer edge to outer edge is not the rims nominated width. The nominated width is measured between the lips that the tyre bead seats on!
    in most case an inch less than outer measurement. I made this cross section diagram some years ago. feel free to use.
    Daily
    BMW X5
    Name
    John Eric

Thanks for the detailed information you've put here. It really helped many of us. Thank you so much. Btw, nice car. I saw that first when my friend got it to the official showbox event.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123