Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Eclipse AVN6000 Whereis Satnav Disc?, Can I use a Denso disc?

Daily
    BMW 335i
    2nd Car
    Aprilia SL1000R
    Name
    Shane

Replacement Eclipse AVN6000 Whereis Satnav Disc?, Can I use a Denso disc?

Hey guys

After having my sound system now for just under 3 years, the DVD map disc has died on me.

Basically when I switch the satnav on, it comes up with an error message 'cannot read map dvd'. My local dealer put his AVN6000 demo model whereisV15 disc in my headunit, and it worked fine...

So my question is do I have to fork out $370 for whereis V16 when it is released next month, or can I purchase a generic whereis dvd map disc (honda/toyota/landrover) and use that in my AVN6000?

I'm presuming I can't, but it doesnt hurt 2 ask!

Cheers
    Daily
    96 AE111 Levin

you have PM
    Daily
    BMW 335i
    2nd Car
    Aprilia SL1000R
    Name
    Shane

Does anyone have a eclipse whereis disc I can borrow?

does anyone have one in which i can try ? but i have a jap spec eclipse with no maps?
    Daily
    96 AE111 Levin

wtf dude....
    what did you do to the disc i gave you
    Daily
    BMW 335i
    2nd Car
    Aprilia SL1000R
    Name
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by striken2o View Post
    wtf dude....
    what did you do to the disc i gave you
    Still have it man, I cant use the denso disc when you initialize the head unit (when you d/c the battery from the car)

I need an eclipse disc to basically reboot the H/U & then I can use the nav maps as per normal on the denso disc
    Daily
    cat
    2nd Car
    catamaran
    Name
    joe

Shane, had this issue with my old skyline, the disk was old and couldn't be read correctly, I read on a few forums that sometimes after awhile the constant heat from the car degrades the bit cavities within the data layer and the laser is not good enough to pick them up (can check with kprobe). They suggested to simply burn another copy with a fresh new disk. The logic behind it is that the the lasers in computer drives are better quality and can read a more degraded disk then a headunit, so duplicating the data will make it fresh.

Another note is that I attempted to copy it with my computer and make a new version with every format possible (even bitsetting dvd+rs to be dvd-roms) but it wouldn't work due to some formatting issue I couldn't figure out. I ended up borrowing a bit to bit machine copier from work which is basically 2 drives in a lil box (no computer) and it copied the disk perfectly and my gps read the fresh disk... Attempt to recopy the disk, if you get stuck I can borrow it again

Hope it helps bud...
    Last edited by rowboat; 18-06-10 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typos

i have this disc, do you want me to make a copy?
    Daily
    BMW 335i
    2nd Car
    Aprilia SL1000R
    Name
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by lexism View Post
    Shane, had this issue with my old skyline, the disk was old and couldn't be read correctly, I read on a few forums that sometimes after awhile the constant heat from the car degrades the bit cavities within the data layer and the laser is not good enough to pick them up (can check with kprobe). They suggested to simply burn another copy with a fresh new disk. The logic behind it is that the the lasers in computer drives are better quality and can read a more degraded disk then a headunit, so duplicating the data will make it fresh.

Another note is that I attempted to copy it with my computer and make a new version with every format possible (even bitsetting dvd+rs to be dvd-roms) but it wouldn't work due to some formatting issue I couldn't figure out. I ended up borrowing a bit to bit machine copier from work which is basically 2 drives in a lil box (no computer) and it copied the disk perfectly and my gps read the fresh disk... Attempt to recopy the disk, if you get stuck I can borrow it again

Hope it helps bud...
    I think I may have chucked my old disc out thinking it was buggered, and I had been saved with a denso disc... Unfortunately it was also an old version of whereis V13 (latest is V16) so I guess I need to upgrade also! Thanks for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by w0n View Post
    i have this disc, do you want me to make a copy?
    PM sent
    Daily
    BMW 335i
    2nd Car
    Aprilia SL1000R
    Name
    Shane

Thumbs up to a fellow JDMSTer who went out of their way & helped me out yet again!

Thanks it is much appreciated!

Anyone who has a similar issue feel free to PM me in future
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast