Got some bits today. Head, sump and timing cover gaskets. I borrowed a torque wrench from a mate and I picked up a high mount brake light for the back. I also thought I got some yellow T-10 bulbs for the parkers, but I think they turned out to be amber
Might have time Friday night/Saturday morning to get stuck into it.
I had a bit of time Friday afternoon to clean off all the crud from the old gaskets.
Then this morning I put on the new(er) timing chain and lined up all the timing marks. The hope was to get the timing cover bolted on and possibly the head.
I decided to do the bolts on the timing chain guide up a bit tighter this time so that they wouldn't fall out. Bottom bolt went on fine. Top one kept turning when I tightened it up, I figured I must have ruined the thread. I went to undo it, and the head of the bolt came off but the rest didnt (Grade 6 bolt too) I think the bolt had bottomed out in the end of the thread. After my lousy attempt at removing it I gave up for the day and ended up borrowing a tap set. If I get time tomorrow I'll try to get the old thread back, or bore it up to the next size.
Then timing cover, head and sump on. One positive thing is that the big end bearing are still rock solid, so I've had good oil pressure
I will try my best to make it.. assuming the head gasket seals properly, the tapped bolt holds, no oil or coolant leaks. I dont have a water pump gasket yet, I should be able to make one though, and I think I have a useable intake manifold gasket somewhere. I had planned on getting some tyres for my gold wheels or lowering blocks, but they've been pushed back.
I ended up with a good week at work to have early starts/early finishes!
I've got to make at least one EOMM and this one is the best chance so far.. Your wagon gonna be ready?
Yesterday I got the head back on
Two foes reunite
Sump got all gooped up
So today I pulled the engine down and was putting on the flywheel and clutch. It was 90nm to tighten the flywheel to the crank, and the engine section didnt have a torque for the clutch pressure plate. I think I used too many torques...
I crapped myself at this stage. Most of the bolt was still in the flywheel and it was late in the afternoon on a public holiday. I'd planned on making the EOMM this month, as the rest had been at busy weekends. So I had another flywheel, but it was for a 4 speed. I pulled it out and they were different. Different offset to the crank and 4 speed looked a bit smaller diameter. I had both flywheels off at this stage, thinking of a place to extract this bolt so I can bolt it all up. A moment of desperation provided a good thought...how about I try unwinding it by hand? It wasn't actually in tight, it came straight out! (torque setting of 27nm was under "clutch", not "engine" btw)
Engine in. This was the first time I've left the gearbox in the car while putting in an engine. Normally I pull out both and allign the gearbox and engine on the ground. First attempt didn't work, the clutch wasn't aligned properly. I had the 4 speed lying on the ground nearby and I kept thinking if only I could remove the input shaft to use to line up the clutch. Then I remembered that I could just use the whole gearbox to line it up only took me 6 months to work that one out!
Not much to do now, just radiator, intake manifold, oil and water and connect a few wires. Hopefully smooth sailing from now on!
Had some time this morning before work (who gets up early on Monday mornings?) to try and sort out why it wasn't running very well. I pulled out the spark plugs to see if that was the problem, it sounded like it was only running on 3 cylinders. Sure enough when I got them out, number 3 was wet and a bit dirtier so I swapped it for a different one. It now runs pretty smooth, except for the leaky gasket between the exhaust manifold and down pipe, which has again reminded me to get a louder exhaust!
I've got to bolt the bonnet back on, put the blinkers back on, and tighten up a few bolts and we should be sweet
Bonnet is back on, blinkers are on, bolts are tightened BUT we are not sweet.
I took it for a quick spin around the block to warm it up to set timing etc. Had a few drops of oil/liquid on the ground when i got back and it was smokey. It seems to have oil seeping out of the bottom of the exhaust manifold where it connects to the down pipe. I'm pretty sure the head gasket isn't sealed properly.