I took a day off to try and sort out the engine... A least it was a nice day!
I wiped up all the excess oil to try and pinpoint leaks. I took it around the blocks to warm it up, then reset the timing and the valves. Timing was a bit off and it drove much better after it was fixed. It didn't seem to have any smoke coming out the back, and it didn't seem to be leaking oil at all from the front. I retightened the head bolts too, and it would seem to be fine at the moment!
So I had a bit of time to paint up the fixed rim. Not perfect, but much better than before.
And I had a quick go at some mini rims I have stashed away for a future project
Car has been running pretty well, I've done an oil and filter change. I think the timing chain is a bit loose as the engine seems to be a bit rattley recently. It's quiet under power, but it gets noisy when going down hills/coasting with no power on. Oil pressure is very good, 20psi at idle and up to 60 when revved..
I purchased $102.50 of mystery item off eBay on Friday. This picture will serve as the "before" with the after to come in a week or two.
I finally cleaned up the shed so there is enough room for my nice car (not the 323). Hung up some of the many hubcaps I've been collecting
lowering blocks ?!!?!
looking good mate, ^ i hope brians right, will look awesome all evened out... the wheels look great too!
Wakefield PB: 1.16.8 - NA Life
I might have bought something today.. Well two things..
None of this new age "stretch" (also kinda hard with 6 inch rims)
Bit of a story with the centre caps, I'll explain it tomorrow
Better photos to come in the daylight...
baller! 1.5" ppfft weak sauce! haha
take brians ones!!! 3in
Wakefield PB: 1.16.8 - NA Life
Weren't they 4"? lol
The car has been running really well the last few weeks. So well infact the daily has been in the garage for three weeks, and when some parts turned up 2 1/2 hours away I thought "why not?".
In preparation for the trip I thought I'd change the water for coolant (water is recommended when putting a new head gasket in) and see if I could work out the rattle in the engine. I was pretty sure it was the timing chain not being tight enough, as it was only noisy at idle and and when coasting in gear. I pulled out the radiator out to access the timing chain guide adjusters and I borrowed a small socket set to fit through the timing cover. At least the socket fit through the adjusting ports on the spare timing covers I had out. Apparently the timing cover in the car has smaller holes compared to the spare ones
The timing chain was tight anyway. The oil pump chain was another story..There is no adjustment or tensioner so it just must be stretched and in need of replacement.
So I put it all back together and drove off the next morning. Although the temp looks good in this picture, it has never ever been this high before. Turns out there must have been some air in the system, but I had the rest of the coolant bottle in the boot, just incase. At least I know the temperature gauge works! (and I'm so awesome I can drive and take photos)
So a slow and steady 350km later and I was back home
My passenger on the way home
The bit I was most interested in is the electronic dizzy. I've got to work out the wiring and then I'll put in on the current engine. The engine is a D5, which was the final 323 rwd engine. It is a stroked version of the UC which I've currently got, so it is 1.5L.
And tucked away for another day...
I picked up the lowering blocks today. I was really considering putting them on the car. I unwrapped it and found a grand total of 5 nuts and 6 washers. So I had the choice, ring up the eBay seller, or leave a nasty feedback and hope for the best. I rang up the store, left some details and he said he would ring back with some options. About 5 minutes later he rang back, saying the product has been out of production for over 10 years and he could send down some nuts from another kit he had there, or I could buy my own locally and he'd refund half the cost.
Not wanting to wait for a few days for them to turn up I went and bought some nuts (x11 - nylock and regular) and some washers (6) for the insane sum of $2.60. I'm never sure how much industrial supply places will charge, sometimes it is heaps, sometimes nothing at all. I was thinking, it's not worth getting the place to pay for half the cost of these nuts, its only like $1.30
I get home and have an eBay message saying I got a refund for half the total purchase price, so I ended up paying a total $60 for the blocks! Score!