Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel Alignment: Specs and Theories

Daily
    MY09 4WD Petrol Hilux
    2nd Car
    Mitsubishi Evo VIII
    Name
    Alex

Hey all, I thought I would comment on my setup as alot of you seem to be asking.

There is alot more to setting up a car then just w/a. Tire width, Track, Wheel Width, Offset, Hight.

In saying that, my car is running 265/35/18 Semis on 18*9.5" +35 wheels. This setup gives me a significantly larger contact patch then most, but also more track, which helps with stability and basically more grip to some extent.

I am running such an agressive (grippy) rear setup for a number of reasons;
    -MY car makes are rediculious about of midrange torque, so it likes to step out on corner exit, so to keep some of that in check, I need to run more camber to try and get more grip.
    -The front of my car has 15mm spacers which reduces the cars tendency to understeer and the track is sooo much wider. It also helps with turn in. Thus, actually giving me ALOT more front grip then it looks.

Apon initial turn in, I use a bit of trail braking to keep the car pitched on the front end, the car then settles mid corner, and I can plant my foot and not have my car being spastic drift spec commig out of a corner.

At the end of the day, it really comes down to power, driver preferance and aerodynamics (which Im not running any).
    Mid Night Racing Team

Mid Night Car Speciall #001
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by AYCMACHINE View Post
    How are you guys getting that much castor. Everyone run so much castor! I want more!
    S15's spec sheet says stock Castor is 6.9 degrees +/- 0.75
    Daily
    Honda S2000 (AP2)
    2nd Car
    London Underground
    Name
    Rix

Quote Originally Posted by mrpham View Post
    S15's spec sheet says stock Castor is 6.9 degrees +/- 0.75
    That's awesome.

Tonba, those times in your signature, are they your current times? Also how much power do you have? Have you spec'd your alignment yourself, or had IMSR or other people help you with it?
    Daily
    MY09 4WD Petrol Hilux
    2nd Car
    Mitsubishi Evo VIII
    Name
    Alex

^ No, those times were with my old setup. And when I was running 200kw.

Put it this way, my car is making almost 200kW @ 4,000RPM.. so it really hauls ass in the midrange. I need that extra grip.

My car was originally setup by ISMR, but with Indy's help as well as a few other QUICK evo setups, we are slowly adapting to suit my style and car.. It wll prolly change again in the next 6 months.. Ill see how I go at the track next.
    Mid Night Racing Team

Mid Night Car Speciall #001
    Daily
    Honda S2000 (AP2)
    2nd Car
    London Underground
    Name
    Rix

Quote Originally Posted by Tonba View Post
    ^ No, those times were with my old setup. And when I was running 200kw.

Put it this way, my car is making almost 200kW @ 4,000RPM.. so it really hauls ass in the midrange. I need that extra grip.

My car was originally setup by ISMR, but with Indy's help as well as a few other QUICK evo setups, we are slowly adapting to suit my style and car.. It wll prolly change again in the next 6 months.. Ill see how I go at the track next.
    That explains a hell of alot. Thanks mate. I get why your car is setup like that now
    Daily
    Honda S2000 (AP2)
    2nd Car
    London Underground
    Name
    Rix

What is too much castor, and what is jacking? I haven't played with castor much. Soz.
    Grand Sword Bearer Trolls Royce's Avatar
    Daily
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by eniryks View Post
    to much castor is a bad thing it will cause jacking, and bad offset will also cause jacking as well.
    I am also interested in this jacking. Tell me more.
    Daily
    RR-DC2
    Name
    Stone

fuck i love this thread.

Ill add to it once i start hitting the track and get proper numbers.
    STONEBUILT.
    Grand Sword Bearer Trolls Royce's Avatar
    Daily
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by eniryks View Post
    jacking is where you either run to much caster or to much offset and as you pull lock you you will raise the front of the car ( jacking ), your KPI (king pin inclination) can also play its part in this hence the reason of measuring your suspension properly.

you can physically see it in allot of new cars as they run massive caster for tyre wear issues and a few other things but as they pull full lock the front of the car can lift about half a inch or so, but this is not a desired effect and can have bad effects on your handling characteristics.

here is a blurb from Wikipedia it is not to in depth but im sure you get the idea.

From wikipedia

Jacking forces

Jacking forces are the sum of the vertical force components experienced by the suspension links. The resultant force acts to lift the sprung mass if the roll center is above ground, or compress it if underground. Generally, the higher the roll center, the more jacking force is experienced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspens...Jacking_forces
    Surely this is only the sort of thing that's going to have an effect on low speed, high lock type scenarios though, right?

I mean if you look at the amount of wheel movement that is normally involved with a car at a track day, then I'd say it'd probably no more than 1/4 to 1/2 a turn of steering lock, and nowhere near full lock.....
    Daily
    Honda S2000 (AP2)
    2nd Car
    London Underground
    Name
    Rix

Jacking... no fucking way. It's actually got a term for it. Heaps of European cars jack heaps! Always wondered what caused it, but have never looked into it. Thanks for the explanation mate.

I can imagine jacking would be a problem if you were turning on a high speed corner, and air would rush under the car as it lifts? But i'm assuming it would be an issue on low speed on full lock, which would cause issues for FWD cars say trying to power out of the dog leg at Wakefield?