Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel Fitment Discussion

Daily
    Subaru

What would 17 x 8.0 +32 Front and 17 x 9 + 38 Rear be like on a 04 RS Impreza?
    Daily
    Millenium Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
    What would 17 x 8.0 +32 Front and 17 x 9 + 38 Rear be like on a 04 RS Impreza?
    Considering it's AWD - it'd be shithouse.

Even width all round or say bye bye to your symetrical AWD
    Fuck whatever you think, it needs aqua tint
    Daily
    MK3 Golf
    2nd Car
    Skoda

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    Considering it's AWD - it'd be shithouse.

Even width all round or say bye bye to your symetrical AWD
    umm... I have to disagree. wheels with different widths arent going to be a problem, the problem come if its two different rolling diameters on the front and back. both wheels will cover the same distance even if the widths are same, but if there is difference in rolling dia the smaller rim will cover more distance than the bigger one.
    Daily
    Millenium Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by manyu View Post
    umm... I have to disagree. wheels with different widths arent going to be a problem, the problem come if its two different rolling diameters on the front and back. both wheels will cover the same distance even if the widths are same, but if there is difference in rolling dia the smaller rim will cover more distance than the bigger one.
    Right................. So every single Evo, GTR and WRX which all run the same width all round are doing it wrong and can now run staggered set-ups?

All those fella's who drive big 4WD's also are doing it wrong I suppose too?
    Daily
    Work hack..
    2nd Car
    MY12 XTP
    Name
    Chris

Yeah I can't understand why wider rears on Awd would make a difference :/ like they don't steer, if the rolling diameter was te same I can't see the issue.. Coz technically when your driving all wheels will still spin at the same speed as the are all the same rolling diameter.. I still can't quite get my head around where the issues would be .. Hmmm
    Daily
    Millenium Falcon

I was always lead to believe it'd cause damage to your centre and rear diff due to the distribution being uneven when required to drive a different width wheel front to rear.

I take back my sarcastic comment if someone proves me wrong.. until then, I'm gonna remain with being a dick.
    Daily
    Work hack..
    2nd Car
    MY12 XTP
    Name
    Chris

Come to think of it, I've seen plenty of staggered offsets on x5's even stock wheels.. Hmm they are awd yeah?? Although I don't know how there drivetrain is setup. Hmm now it's really got me thinking.. Oh well wastes the working day lol
    Daily
    Work hack..
    2nd Car
    MY12 XTP
    Name
    Chris

http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25746. Says what I thought, as long as r.d is the same..
    Daily
    Millenium Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by -EGA.2.90- View Post
    http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25746. Says what I thought, as long as r.d is the same..
    I suppose that makes sense but I'm sure you can understand, I never ever ever ever take anything read on a forum as gospel.

I guess if the rolling diameter is identical front to rear then it would be fine..

I semi-retract my comment
    Daily
    Size 11 Havianas
    2nd Car
    no
    Name
    K

To get two different sized tyres to measure in at "exactly" the same circumference would have to be pretty scarce.

in response to the AWD thing, It is going to depend on the AWD system.

@EGA-2.90 In the case of the X5 with staggered rim & tyre combo it gets away with this due to being an 'active' AWD system versus being a "reactive" system.

There are some nice on-line articles explaining BMW's X-drive system, I was a bit concerned when I bought my X5 as it has the staggered 19's but once I read into things, all was explained.

Now the thing is most AWD cars are not 'active' AWD and are reactive with quite commonly a 'viscous coupling' in the centre diff, it is this type of centre diff that doesn't take a liking to differences in rolling diameters, JEEP are notorious for shitting themselves when only two tyres are replaced and even though the sizes are the same the difference in rolling diameter from the new tyre to the old is quite often enough to cause centre diff failure. I use to work on them week in week out for a quite some years.

So in short Chewbacca you are not right or wrong really.

It comes down to the AWD system your car is fitted with at the end of the day.