Thread: Living the japanese dream / the challenges and struggles to live your dream in japan!

Daily
    R34 Skyline GT-Turbo

Living the japanese dream / the challenges and struggles to live your dream in japan!

OK let me have a take on this here

Many peeps asked me to make a thread about how it is to live in japan and I am going to "try" to get some important facts (for me) together, so peeps can take notes on my experiences.

Before I will unload myself over the pros and cons of living in japan, here are some important things to consider before you even think about how you may like to live in japan.

Why do you want to leave your coutry?
    Thats an important question, don`t think just because you love japan and hate your everyday life, where ever you live now, will automaticly set you for a better life in japan. Don`t come to japan, blind and naive, just because its easy to send everyone around you, in your country, to hell, in order to make it more easy to leave. Leaving is indeed very easy, but once you show up over here, you get a reality check of the uncomfortable kind.
    Always remember that you need a clear idea of why you want to live in japan and better see japan in all its bad sides first, so you won`t get surprised to much after. Thats a basic state of mind, so you can start your life over here, work hard, learn the culture, language and rules.

For me coming to japan was a complicated choice. I am a designer in first place and love cars and modifying cars with all the JDM life style attached to it. I also loved japan since I was a child, Mangas, Animation, Video Games, Movies, . . . and all the Otaku stuff you can consume oversea about japan. After the academy I tried to find design jobs, which was a difficult thing in europe/Luxembourg, small country, no design industry . . . basicly it was fooked! First you find japan, some kind of utopia, where everything you dream off will comes true . (man, I dreamed about working at MadHouse productions under the direction of Kawajiri Yoshiaki, animating a sequel to Cyber City Oedo 808 or Ninja Scroll). But then you also find out how much/long hours the japanese work (or better say, the long hours they stay at work for the image of being busy, japanese work by far less hard then any other industrialized country) . . . which means when you come here you will never go home again, as anyway you won`t have more days off then the japanese themselves.

At the end the issue, that decided for me to leave for japan, was the independent professional one. I knew that luxembourg has the highest standard of living in the world (best health care, best life security, best pensions, highest GDP per capita), but the government tries to control to much in the business world . . . it was impossible to me to even think about doing a job in the car business, and doing it as an independent . . . I am a designer, if I wanted to do a car business, I had to study 5years evening courses about what I want to. Japan on the other side is a "free-rider" paradise, the government lets you do what you want, as long as you can help yourself out. So I made my company, registered name, consultancy in japan with a few bucks, in less then 2days (the liberal paradise).

The beginning is tough, but the japanese peeps make it easy for you.
    Once your business is running and you can cover your living expenses over here, you will quick see that money can do wonders over here. Japanese businesses love courageous "gaijins" helping them out. Thats what I did, I sold their cars quicker then they could with more profit for them and without making a fuzz about japanese business rules and cultural dead end issues . . . once they see the bucks, they love you and consider you their mentor.
    Maybe thats the best thing that happened to me here, I nearly died under the impression that you couldn`t do business in a free manner and that you had to do it the way all j-business does it, but I just left out all the j-rules that didn`t make sense and challenged these views with "comon sense and self confidence".

Japan really opens it self to you if you have entrepreneur skills and a big vision. Peeps will love you because you are a foreigner who understands them and on the other side makes it easy for them to put their old traditions by side. You have to help j-peeps making business with you, while building a bridge for them, so they can benefit from your international expertise.

Of course some gaijins do it the japanese way only and loving it. But I think the biggest thing to learn from japan, is that life is hard and because its hard you have to fight. Most japanese don`t fight however, they just fit in and get along in life . . . but the real japanese success is for thoses who can build a bridge between traditions and new visions. Hence its those peeps that make japan such a wonderfull place.

Is japan and oldish, ultra conservative country?
    Yes, but if everyone in japan would be so conservative, japan wouldn`t be very different from other asian countries that are still struggling to swap their old traditions for open ideas and life styles. Japan has so many wonderfull peeps, find the right peeps in japan and you will have your life time experience! . . . and maybe a very tasty life in future.

Thats my two cent on that issue, there is much more to say, but I leave those things to you guys, if you want to know, just ask.

regards

Chris
    Daily
    Out

I would have to disagree. Having worked out of Japan for a few years now, and about to move there for work. There are THAT many washed up Americans and Australians who have arrived with the same hopes, going off posts like yours on how helpful everyone is when it comes to starting a business and making a living there etc.etc.etc. only to have no business, and it all goes belly up weeks later. It is not that easy, some are lucky and make a decent amount of money working there for themselves. Reality is, it is very difficult, Japanese people will help you to a point, then leave you to develop yourself. Hard work pays off, to a certain extent, being lucky and networking is what will make you successful. If you want to make money in Japan, or make enough to follow your "driftooooo" dreams, get a job working for a mulitnational company. I'm working for JAL and I get paid a bucket with free accomodation. That is how you want to live in Japan, do something you enjoy, not something that makes ends meet because like most other Asian countries, they are great to live in if you have the money to burn especially if you want to buy a house, or rent a nice place instead of a shitbox.
    Daily
    R34 Skyline GT-Turbo

Spot on EvilElmo, of course not everyone is gonna succeed, but if you are looking for a adventure in terms of trying to set up your own business here, I think japan can be a cool place to try.
    You are right with so many peeps being spoiled with false dreams. I personaly have met all kind of japanese peoples, mainly because I worked with around 1000 different japanese customers in the last 3 years at the dealer ship I have worked. I know how they live, their mortgages, their housings, their families, ex . . . and know that you have to carefully find the peeps that are same minded as you are. I want to tell everyone who plays with the idea to go to japan to remember that japan is a very big country with millions of opportunities . . .
    My personal experience is that most companies that will give you a decent and well payed job, will automaticly transform you in to a salaryman which will mean tree major things for you:
    1) career is a dead end, you go up as the old ones die out
    2) you work in a team and even if you do your job 10times faster and better then everyone, no body will care, you will still do overtime (for free to some extent)
    3) Your pension will be horrible crap , especially when you come to japan now.

Thats why I believe that japan has more to offer in the independent business and there are so many chances to make decent money here. I wasn`t lucky at first, I was at the brink of having 0Yen in my pockets at some point, maybe it was that reality that made me succeed afterwards, you saw the bottom and it could only go up again.
    Moving first to japan and doing a decent english teaching job is a way to start obviously, but don`t get stuck with that for years. After a short time, you should face that teaching has no real future (ECC and co) and if you have independent business dreams, go for it . . . doing a random middle payed job in japan with tons of unpaid overtime isn`t worth staying, you can do that job under better conditions in your home country probably.

Note on going independant:
    1) Setting up any service business in japan will require 0Yen and you can even register a name of your company, which is again very different from just working under your name, more professional.
    2) Selling goods (tuning parts, car parts), you will need a "kobutsusho" a liscence which in case of foreigners will be not to difficult to acquire. The police issues these liscences and doesn`t make a big fuzz about not being able to confirm your experience in that field. (of course selling food and more delicate things is another thing)
    3) Basicly if you are able to set up your business, as small as it may be, many associations and companies will kiss your ass to enable you to acquire further liscences through them, as you will be able to retail their products. You will wonder how easy it is to start with retailing.

Many of my friends do independent jobs with no previous experiences in those fields: tuning parts, car parts, car exports, wine import/export, textiles, machines, food, services, ex . . . .

There lies the real potential of japan in my view.
    Daily
    Out

My personal experience is that most companies that will give you a decent and well payed job, will automaticly transform you in to a salaryman which will mean tree major things for you:
    1) career is a dead end, you go up as the old ones die out
    2) you work in a team and even if you do your job 10times faster and better then everyone, no body will care, you will still do overtime (for free to some extent)
    3) Your pension will be horrible crap , especially when you come to japan now.
    Partially correct. A lot of multinational companies have a very western focused work ethic, quite different to Japanese workplaces and generally American, British or Australian bosses and managers throughout the firms. But you're correct in saying that most companies in Japan will turn you in to that.

I'm lucky, I'm there only a bit of the time and I will be commuting to work from Sapporo, I might even start up my own company during my down time. Especially import Cheap work rates on that!

I'll shoot you a PM when I arrive. If you're keen for a Tokyo to Niseko road trip.
    Daily
    cube
    Name
    michael

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElmo View Post
    I'm working for JAL and I get paid a bucket with free accomodation. .
    howdy, evilelmo what kind of field are you employed in within JAL, im currently in the aircraft maintenance sector going for a engineer qaulification, how are the interviews/positions etc???
    i have been wondering for years how to move onto a different countries carrier
    Daily
    Boss Baller 180sx
    2nd Car
    sil80

i swaer ive read that before from the Japonease engliash schoool forum..... ...... unless your the same guy whitch in that case crazy small ass world
    Last edited by Biggie; 06-01-11 at 02:27 AM.
    Daily
    Boss Baller 180sx
    2nd Car
    sil80

Quote Originally Posted by gtrlux View Post
    OK let me have a take on this here

Many peeps asked me to make a thread about how it is to live in japan and I am going to "try" to get some important facts (for me) together, so peeps can take notes on my experiences.

Before I will unload myself over the pros and cons of living in japan, here are some important things to consider before you even think about how you may like to live in japan.

Why do you want to leave your coutry?
    Thats an important question, don`t think just because you love japan and hate your everyday life, where ever you live now, will automaticly set you for a better life in japan. Don`t come to japan, blind and naive, just because its easy to send everyone around you, in your country, to hell, in order to make it more easy to leave. Leaving is indeed very easy, but once you show up over here, you get a reality check of the uncomfortable kind.
    Always remember that you need a clear idea of why you want to live in japan and better see japan in all its bad sides first, so you won`t get surprised to much after. Thats a basic state of mind, so you can start your life over here, work hard, learn the culture, language and rules.

For me coming to japan was a complicated choice. I am a designer in first place and love cars and modifying cars with all the JDM life style attached to it. I also loved japan since I was a child, Mangas, Animation, Video Games, Movies, . . . and all the Otaku stuff you can consume oversea about japan. After the academy I tried to find design jobs, which was a difficult thing in europe/Luxembourg, small country, no design industry . . . basicly it was fooked! First you find japan, some kind of utopia, where everything you dream off will comes true . (man, I dreamed about working at MadHouse productions under the direction of Kawajiri Yoshiaki, animating a sequel to Cyber City Oedo 808 or Ninja Scroll). But then you also find out how much/long hours the japanese work (or better say, the long hours they stay at work for the image of being busy, japanese work by far less hard then any other industrialized country) . . . which means when you come here you will never go home again, as anyway you won`t have more days off then the japanese themselves.

At the end the issue, that decided for me to leave for japan, was the independent professional one. I knew that luxembourg has the highest standard of living in the world (best health care, best life security, best pensions, highest GDP per capita), but the government tries to control to much in the business world . . . it was impossible to me to even think about doing a job in the car business, and doing it as an independent . . . I am a designer, if I wanted to do a car business, I had to study 5years evening courses about what I want to. Japan on the other side is a "free-rider" paradise, the government lets you do what you want, as long as you can help yourself out. So I made my company, registered name, consultancy in japan with a few bucks, in less then 2days (the liberal paradise).

The beginning is tough, but the japanese peeps make it easy for you.
    Once your business is running and you can cover your living expenses over here, you will quick see that money can do wonders over here. Japanese businesses love courageous "gaijins" helping them out. Thats what I did, I sold their cars quicker then they could with more profit for them and without making a fuzz about japanese business rules and cultural dead end issues . . . once they see the bucks, they love you and consider you their mentor.
    Maybe thats the best thing that happened to me here, I nearly died under the impression that you couldn`t do business in a free manner and that you had to do it the way all j-business does it, but I just left out all the j-rules that didn`t make sense and challenged these views with "comon sense and self confidence".

Japan really opens it self to you if you have entrepreneur skills and a big vision. Peeps will love you because you are a foreigner who understands them and on the other side makes it easy for them to put their old traditions by side. You have to help j-peeps making business with you, while building a bridge for them, so they can benefit from your international expertise.

Of course some gaijins do it the japanese way only and loving it. But I think the biggest thing to learn from japan, is that life is hard and because its hard you have to fight. Most japanese don`t fight however, they just fit in and get along in life . . . but the real japanese success is for thoses who can build a bridge between traditions and new visions. Hence its those peeps that make japan such a wonderfull place.

Is japan and oldish, ultra conservative country?
    Yes, but if everyone in japan would be so conservative, japan wouldn`t be very different from other asian countries that are still struggling to swap their old traditions for open ideas and life styles. Japan has so many wonderfull peeps, find the right peeps in japan and you will have your life time experience! . . . and maybe a very tasty life in future.

Thats my two cent on that issue, there is much more to say, but I leave those things to you guys, if you want to know, just ask.

regards

Chris
    also... for referance

http://www.outpostnine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1396

http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19872
    Daily
    DC5
    2nd Car
    KE30
    Name
    James

Some really good reads here.

I've studied Japanese language and culture in highschool and at uni and am planning on moving there in 2012. Have always thought I would go through the JET programme but not too sure now, a year is a long time to be trapped somewhere if you don't like it...

Was looking at this website the other day, looks alright if only for a very short term kinda thing.
    http://www.boobooski.com/index.html
    Daily
    BMW
    2nd Car
    BMw
    Name
    kaleem ullah

I assume the style comes from over seas and is mostly built
    by proffesional truck drivers that own their own trucks and do regular trips across japan, similar to how I would buy a kenworth and dress it up with mud flaps lights and air horns with some pin stripes if i were to become a Trucky here in aus?!?

chess-rivals.com - play online game against computer
    Last edited by Loveeza; 16-01-16 at 12:05 AM.
    Daily
    s15
    Name
    Bernie

The foood there is really fantastic