Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

JDM FC3S TRACK CAR BUILD

Hi guys,

Decided to post pics of my build. 1986 JDM import Turbo FC3S. Sold up my cars to buy a house after selling the last place to pay out the ex. Swore no more cars and then this happened.....

I inherited an old HQ wagon with 90,000 original km's. I didn't want it and the mate of a mate came to buy it rolled up in this. 20 minutes later and a couple of "special RWC" I had myself an FC3S for free.

So much for no more cars....................
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

So then I started thinking how I wanted to build it. I decided I wanted the period racecar type deal. So I found a couple of sets of Work Rezax Roar forged rims. 17x8 front and 17x9 rear. Great light rim and great price too. I need a few sets for tarmac rallies and track days. Also found some Tein coilovers in ok shape so threw them in too.

I forgot how much I love having a JDM car to tinker with. I had always liked the FC shape but after the last 12 months of moving house, being pretty sick and starting work with a new company it was not really something I had thought about - I like to think the car kind of found me. Anyway its been a good thing and really got me back out in the garage doing what I love. Met some cool guys along the way who have helped me out too.
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

I borrowed a friends spray booth and we rolled her in to tidy it up. Being a factory no sunroof and white it was a no brainer - white! I always wanted a bright white so I went for the straight white tinter..............very bright and very white. good to touch up too afterall it will be a racer not a show pony.

Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Put it back together to get it to my new place. By this time it had turned 25 too - so I decided to club rego it. I am a member at Phillip Island Racing Club so it was pretty straight forward. As long as you drive sensible, you don't get hassled. I have had 2 occasions being pulled over with a gutted interior and the police were pretty cool about it. I just show them the logbook which also has my CAMS licnce in the same wallet and they check the lights and on my way - sweet!

Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Got some other stuff to go in when the FIA spec 12 point cage is done in Feb 2012.

Seats were a bargain

V8 Supercar power steering pulley to replace the aweful FC one

AES 3" custom mufflers great looking and Kev is great to deal with too

Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

I have also installed

#Full delrin bushes through the suspension
    #Solid delrin engine and transmission mounts
    #Mazda speed 4.11 Torsen LSD
    #Short shifter kit

Parts waiting to go in

#Carbon fibre centre console (blank out all heater controls and stereo)
    #Carbon fibre dash guage pod instead of warning light cluster
    #Carbon fibre dash guage pod for top of speedo cluster
    #Carbon fibre shifter surround
    #Compact under dash heater core/blower unit for demisting and keeping police happy (handy in wet races too)
    #Atkins Rotary aluminium v-belt drive kit

Entire interior is stripped in preparation for the full FIA approved Targa 12 point roll cage. For now, I am finishing off the new garage where I have moved in so I will start again on it after christmas.

Hope you all like it so far.

James.
    Daily
    FT86
    Name
    Elliott

Nice build James, so once the cage goes in it will be trailored to track or will it be able to drive to events?
    Honda S2000 - Type 2 class record holder: Wakefield Park 1.07.00, Eastern Creek 1.46.3 NA 2.0 stock motor
    Daily
    180SX

Looking good!
    Daily
    98 Ek1
    Name
    Neil

Fc looks awesome!! Paint looks real clean!
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by MAD828 View Post
    Nice build James, so once the cage goes in it will be trailored to track or will it be able to drive to events?
    Thanks guys.

Yes MAD828 I can drive it to events. The car is now registered under the Club Permit scheme here in Victoria. It's for cars over 25 years old in an approved car club. The operative word here is PERMIT. You pay a fee every year to display club PERMIT plates. This permits you to drive the vehicle 90 days per year. Because I am a member of a racing club, I carry my Vic Roads log book, and my CAMS lic when I drive it. The permit gives you 90 days per year to use the car on publice roads.

The car must be roadworthy, but the basics need to be covered. It's a race car so a cage, extinguisher, stripped interior its all ok as its what the car is about. I have been pulled over and once they saw a 35 year old guy, helmet and race suit in the back on his way to a track they were fine. Now if I drove up and down the Princess Hwy at night looking for a race or was hard parking in Chappel Street there may be a problem. But if you are cruising down to Portsea, or the local track to give it a run its all ok. J?ust cover the common sense RWC things and its ok.

Sorry for the last pics - the light was fading. I will get better ones once the garage is up before I strip it for the cage etc.
Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast