Thread: JDM FC3S TRACK CAR BUILD

Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

OK,

Been pretty busy the last fe wmonths so time for an update.

Stripped the interior in preparation for the cage. Dry ice made it so easy.

About an hour later it looked like this inside the car

And looked like this on the garage floor

Stripped the dash out too and took some measurements to make certain it coiuld all go back in with a cage and get rid of non esential gear off the dash

And I am totally re wiring the car nice and simple using only the factory headlight, wiper and indicators along with the speedo head. Every thing else will be new. All this crap goes in the bin. 25+ year old crunchy unreliable wiring where it belongs!
    PM me if you have any Work Rezax Roar wheels - need more for spare race tyres any condition is OK!!!!
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Roll cage time

And now the cage is in also.

Next up getting the dash back in.........not as easy as it sounds I am tipping.
    PM me if you have any Work Rezax Roar wheels - need more for spare race tyres any condition is OK!!!!
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Final post for the week - getting the dash back in. After some relativley minor surgery it all went rather smooth. I did expect ALOT more grief but it was so simple. My luck with this car just keeps on holding everything fits, everything lines up it's the easiest car I have built.

The clearance was so close - but it works. Just trimmed off each end to clear the FIA side intrusion bars which I expected.

I will trim the finished dash to match the macro suede steering wheel too.

Last picture of the trailer I have reconditioned too. Bought it as a basic car trailer off a client of mine who got out of racing a HQ. He mentioned he wanted to sell it when I saw him so we did a deal. Totally re wired, tyre rack added, new winch, new tyres, new paint ready to go.

Daily
    Boss Baller 180sx
    2nd Car
    sil80

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Yeah they are around, I like them. So....are the wheels for sale?
    to be honest i want another pair sorry missed this post till today mine are a bit rashed but if you want them just pm me

Engine out time.

Spent Saturday at Calder watching a mate race his XR6T Typhoon R spec (10.25 very impressive) and Sunday at Sandown watching the Nationals. Interestingly there was an FC race car there too. Spoke to the owner and it is certainl still a rolling project but good to watch a similar car race in he same class I am aiming for. Also interesting to see people different "interperetations" of the rules.......... I have a bit ti learn about how flexible the scrutineers are but a friend in scrutineering wsa of the opinion that unless you are taking the battle to the rear bumper of a GT3 Porsche in this class they generally leave you be

My friend and rotary guru assured me while sitting in the grandstand Sunday that removing the motor from the FC was a 2 hour job at best. So in the garage Sunday night I decided to find out. Yep - he was right. I stripped the guards, doors basically to a shell and I am still impressed by how easily an FC goes together and comes apart. So much easier than a later model car like my old Honda S2000.

Anyway here are the pics.

This week will be 5 nights of final prep for paint inside the engine bay and interior of the car. It's very tidy for it's age and it should be ready to roll into the booth Saturday morning for a coat of straight white tinter. After that its time to start putting it all back together.

James.
    PM me if you have any Work Rezax Roar wheels - always after spares

OK, final update before paint. It's Friday, 1am and after a solid few hours in the shop at home after work the shell is ready to go to paint in the morning. No real nasties found - I will repair one rear hatch drain hole, some runst scale under the leaky brake master cylinder and thats it. Pretty good for a 26 year old sports car.

Quick picture showing the extent we massaged the trans tunnel on the driver side to fit the seat rails.

An after shot with a strip pad mounted on the 4" grinder. I love these things effortless at removing wayward deadner and rust scale.

It was especially "chewy" here but the wheel made short work of it.

My trusty apprentice Zac decided it was time to unmask the man behind the car so here I am. More to prove to my friends that I have not forgotten which end of the grinder to hang on to!

Well, more updates after Saturdays session in the booth. Thanks again go out to Simon and Zac for their valuable assistance.

James.

Melbourne weather cut me a lucky break On Friday around 6.30am. For a 2 hour window there was no rain so I loaded the car up and headed for the paintshop. Friday night I went over it and made sure all the rough edges and welds were prepped for Saturday and paint.

On with the update and most importanly some pictures of a painted interior.

After late nights and plenty of prep the car was masked up for primer.

Then my friend Dave got on with the job of priming the interior and engine bay.

The engine bay and interior was finally all one colour and starting to look pretty good. All the late nights the last week had paid of. We went up the road for a maccas breakfast and to let the primer dry before getting ready to shoot the colour.

Engine bay and interior looking good ready for colour.

Next the colour.

After a few hours, we came back and got the car ready for colour. We decided that we may as well flatten off the existing white on the body also and shoot the colour over the whole car. Easier than masking and the interior and exterior are the same colour anyway.

After wiping it down, Dave kicked me out of the booth to get the job done.

I like how the straight white tinter decision is going. Looks very crisp and simple.

So in all, a good few days work. I am pretty wrecked actually doing my regular day job then getting in the garage until 2am but well worth it. I will leave the shell sit for a week to get the paint properly cured then start fitting up all the hang on panels.

Next up is to black the underside and look towards installing the new coilovers. On a side nte, Dave did comment after painting it how many factory holes are in the engine bay. What I don't use in the build I will fill with body plugs but until he pointed it out I had never really noticed.

Cheers,

James.
    Daily
    MK4 Golf
    2nd Car
    FJ20ET Datsun 1600

that's one serious cage! Loving the updates on this, good to see the build still going strong. How do you think the straight white interior will go on a sunny day, do you think you'll have any issues with glare?

Quote Originally Posted by anth View Post
    that's one serious cage! Loving the updates on this, good to see the build still going strong. How do you think the straight white interior will go on a sunny day, do you think you'll have any issues with glare?
    Yes now I have a garage and a year on from buying a house again the build is in full swing. Expect more updates in the next month in preparation for a planned early 2013 shake down.

Haha the cage. It started as a basic 4 point - then 6 point then I realised I may as well do it once and right. I have done things by halves in the past and decided to do it right from the start this time.

Glare - yes it did cross my mind. Not sure really but a tinted visor might be the go?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast