Thread: mrpham's ITB MX-5

Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah did think about the thieves but I worry about my whole car like that, not just the mirrors. I am thinking about some "anti-theft" type screws though, any one have experience with them?

At the end of the day they look awesome, improve visibility by heaps, and I never leave my car un-attended in dodgy areas or where I can't physically have a view of her. That's what my daily driver is for
    Daily
    1996 -soontobepink- civic
    2nd Car
    1977 Civic
    Name
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by mrpham View Post
    Thanks for the comments!

Yeah did think about the thieves but I worry about my whole car like that, not just the mirrors. I am thinking about some "anti-theft" type screws though, any one have experience with them?

At the end of the day they look awesome, improve visibility by heaps, and I never leave my car un-attended in dodgy areas or where I can't physically have a view of her. That's what my daily driver is for
    if anyone does try to steal them, do me a favour and set them on fire :>
    Daily
    Handivan
    2nd Car
    Celica
    Name
    Ian

Fill the screw heads with epoxy? Would make removing them discretely in a hurry kind of hard, but still removable if you chip out the epoxy later on. Perhaps try it on some other screws first to make sure though.
    Daily
    Blueberry MX-5
    2nd Car
    A Wild Pokemon
    Name
    Gilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Stoogey View Post
    These style of mirrors always lingered on the back of my mind as well. But im in the same boat as Gilbert, living in south west sydney would render these mirrors

a) Damaged in 5 minutes from some dumb lebo/asian/bogan reversing into them.

b) Stolen in 5 minutes from some dumb lebo/asian/bogan stolering into them.

Sydney South-West.. Geniune V Nose badges and Limited Edition Green Roadster badge bye bye!

Quote Originally Posted by mrpham View Post
    Thanks for the comments!

Maybe spline bolts of some sort? Thinking of doing them for the seats in my other car.
    Last edited by Gil; 27-03-12 at 10:20 PM.
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Meh.... so no real updates lately. Have been busy with holidays and business so no time/money for the car.

Only thing I've done is add a new sticker, visit Zen Garage and goto to the last JDMST/Downshift meet.

Zen Garage Visit - http://omgpham.com/zen-garage-visit
    Downshift March 2012 Meet - http://omgpham.com/downshift-meet-march-2012
    More photos by other people - http://omgpham.com/downshift-meet-march-2012-others

Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

GarageStar x T3 ITB Adapters - http://omgpham.com/garagestar-x-t3-itb-adapters

I've been a slacker... I've had my ITB parts for months now and yet to install them. Well today I've started pulling the AE101 ITBs apart to clean and possibly paint. I also took the adapter plate to Chilton Engineering, can never recommend them enough, and had them check it over to make sure everything was flat. Unfortunately, the side that bolts to the head wasn't very flat at all. This was concerning because there are water outlet/inlets on that side of the head and I didn't want to risk water leaking into the intake.

Photos below of the amazing looking adapter and the re-surface that Chilton did for me.

Daily
    K11
    Name
    Simon

the 5's looking great! A good tip for the upper and lower gear boots is to put some talcum powder on them. Apparently its stops them gripping each other and subsequently ripping.

keep up the good work!
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by muncher View Post
    the 5's looking great! A good tip for the upper and lower gear boots is to put some talcum powder on them. Apparently its stops them gripping each other and subsequently ripping.

keep up the good work!
    Thanks mate!

I been using just engine oil to lube it on, will try talcum next time (if I can find some!).
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Update - http://omgpham.com/short-shifter-x-dildo

OK so I bought myself a short shifter (short throw) a couple of months back with the intention of using a very tall shift knob. The idea is to reduce the throw enough so that using a tall shift knob will cancel each other out and the throw is close to standard. However, the shifter will be a lot closer to the steering wheel for faster gear changes. WIN-WIN!

If using the tall knob with factory shifter, the throw was stupidly long (just too ridiculous). And using the short shifter kit (short throw) with a standard shift knob made it very difficult to select gears because of how short the throw was.

The shift knob I'm using was a prototype I machined awhile back:
    http://omgpham.com/prototype-gear-knobs

Obviously the first step was to remove the center console and old shifter.

Also a little surprise... the new lower shifter boot I replaced not long ago is already ripped!

Removed the factory plastic bush (keep this for later) and installed the supplied aluminium spacer, slot side down. Should sit just below the top, enough room for the plastic bushing.

Then installed the supplied plastic bushing, the piece on top the supplied top spacer with the locator towards the front. Make sure the holes line up with the original.

Secure everything with supplied bolts and top plate, top part of the shifter is then installed.

And completed!
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Behind The Scenes - http://omgpham.com/behind-the-scenes

Me and a few mates have been working hard on developing a new product for our Roadsters, it's been underway for over a month now but we're getting close to finishing our first batch. Testing was a tedious process but we wanted to make sure the fitment was dead on.

So here are some behind the scene photos =)

The raw materials.

The CNC lathe working hard.

The completed components ready to be tig welded.