Thread: mrpham's ITB MX-5

Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Modified View Post
    Love the wiring stuff you've done with the connector at the firewall dude, makes everything super neat.

Just random (and it could be me/the angle of the photo) but is your engine looks like its slightly crooked in the bay?

The headers also look stunning!
    Yeah it looks a bit crooked, did a quick measure few weeks ago and it about 10mm off. Not sure how that happened, but will get sorted when the car is on stands for a final check over.
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Start Up! - http://omgpham.com/start-up

This was not a smooth start up.... Ran into a few issues earlier on, car would crank over and sometimes nearly run but never more than than a fraction of a second. Went through and checked through the wiring and grounds, everything was good there, a quick visual inspection of the cam gear and cam lobes to see if they were in the right positions. And a whole bunch of things....

The ECU logs showed consistent sync loss, error no. 31. Something was wrong with the cam/crank sensors. In my particular case it was caused by the crank trigger wheel being installed backwards . And I actually did check it earlier on, but checked it incorrectly!

Once I flipped that trigger wheel around, it started right away! Here's a quick video of it, more to come later!

Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Daily
    e30 318is
    Name
    Tim

Too much awesome. Congrats on getting it running.
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Thanks man!

Just trying to decide how I should run in the new engine, so many different methods and ideas out there.
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Manifold Vacuum Rail - http://omgpham.com/manifold-vacuum-rail

OK! So last post was positive, engine started up, ran well and idled nicely. But that didn't last long...

While getting the tune sorted, I noticed that the vacuum readings were a little off and it turned out to be a vacuum leak due to a hose not being connected properly. Fixed the vacuum leak and then the engine didn't want to idle anymore... So I fixed the idling issue but that resulted in my brake booster not getting enough vacuum to assist the brakes

So the real problem was the vacuum set up, I think. So I've come up with a set up that mimics a few other off-the-shelf ITB kits. Haven't had time to finish everything yet, but will post update when I get it running again and report back on the vacuum set up.

These are the push-to-connect fittings I'm using, swivel tee fittings.

Marked out the holes and drilled 11.1mm holes so that I could tap a 1/4" NPT thread.

The fittings tested fitted and measured so I could cut the hoses. The hoses need be installed in the fittings while they're out.

Vacuum rail installed and the old holes plugged up.

Also test fitted the filter backing plate, some clearance issues here...

Installed a Garage Star Wiper Cowl panel, and need to make a new fuel hose because I had to go from dual to single feed fuel setup.

And finally installed and gapped the headlight covers, hate doing them so much.
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

omgpham.com - http://omgpham.com/thats-not-a-mod

New update time.

First off, I won the "People's Choice" Award at the 2016 All Japanese Day. So happy!

A few small updates to the interior.

Push button start installed in the factory cigarette port, Jass Performance shifter boot, and my new Hazard Switch Kit.

This was a custom turned part my friend made for me. It's pretty much a quick connect fitting into a barb adapter. And it's used for my temporary idling setup.

Had this piece laser cut out of aluminium to mount the modification and build plates.

I also managed to install the Pipercross C604D air filter. The adapter plate was a custom one and the filter is offset towards the front of the car by 10mm, this was done to clear the clutch master cylinder and reservoir.

And there's very little clearance, so I need to find a more compact clutch master and reservoir solution soon.

I've had side skirts on my car in the past, but I removed them because they always seems to go wavey after awhile. This was using the skirts made from ABS plastic, but I'm pretty sure the polyurethane ones will do the same. Fibreglass ones should never go wavey, but the fibreglass ones I bought ages ago were wavey out of the box. It seemed like they were moulded off a set of wavey ABS ones.

So these are some new ABS plastic ones, but modified. I had some aluminium sheet (1.5mm thick) laser cut, and folded one side to give it some rigidity. I then wire brushed both surfaces to roughen it up, and a polyurethane based adhesive was used to hold them together. Lots of clamping...

Hopefully they'll hold up, will update how it goes after summer!

Side skirts installed!

Daily
    01 s2k
    Name
    Todd Higgins

Neat trick with the side diffusers man. No companies make a carbon version?

Car looks killer!
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by toddxxx View Post
    Neat trick with the side diffusers man. No companies make a carbon version?

Car looks killer!
    Hopefully it'll keep them straight!

There are carbon versions out of Japan, but would set me back around $800aud landed...

Daily
    01 s2k
    Name
    Todd Higgins

Ahhh bummer. S2k carbon side diffusers are much more available and a lot cheaper