angelo

subscribed!
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

So a small update, some good news and some bad....

Bad news first.
    Turns out that the valve stem seals are starting to leak, after doing a Mt. Nebo run it lost around 800ml of oil.... When engine braking/overunning, it causes a lot of vacuum and this sucks oil past the leaky valve stem seals and into the cylinders. As soon as a I step on it again, big puff of blue smoke escapes as the combusttion burns up the oil. As you can imagine, this happens a lot during a mountain cruise =)

Have added up all the costs for gaskets/seals and it is very doable, I will be removing and installing the head myself but all head work will be left to the machine shop. Quickly did a compression test yesterday and everything is well, helps rule out piston rings.

Now the good part...

Recently decided to order some wheel spacers, 5mm to be exact. Nothing crazy but they came up for cheap so I took the opportunity. They are made specifically for the MX-5 and are hub-centric too, sit perfectly flush against the hub with no play at all.

Just some photos of the spacer and how the car now sits.

Visited MX-5 Plus today, like nearly every weekend, and picked up some offset number plate brackets. The standard number plate bracket is flimsy and often bashes against the front bumper, leaving behind scars/scratches. The MX-5 Plus bracket is thick as well as placing the number plate to the side, definitely over-engineered.

Richard unpacking the freshly laser-cut bracketsm, mmmmm tasty.

The bracket is all it's glory, plus hardware.

Original bracket removed, and the MX-5 Plus bracket installed. Mounts to the left tow-hook.

All done and looking good =)
    Daily
    Chicken Feet
    2nd Car
    EK4
    Name
    Dave

Spacers.

From where.

Tell me now.

kthanxloveyou.
    Daily
    Supercharged MX5
    2nd Car
    R33 S2

Nice work, and + 1 on ^^^ (except for the love, cause that's just playing way too much to the whole MX5 stigma ).
    Daily
    Mazda NA6 MX5
    2nd Car
    D16Y Charizard
    Name
    Kay

Had my spacers made at Tempi tyres
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

uh oh what have I done...

Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

So a pretty big update =)

http://omgpham.com/valve-stem-seal-leak

After doing a cruise through Mt. Nebo, I had lost about 800mL of oil. There were no leaks so the oil simply burnt up in combustion. This is usually caused by old piston rings or valve stem seals.

A quick compression test showed all cylinders produced identical compression readings, this rules out piston rings as the cause. When valve stem seals leak, blue smoke is usually seen when you start the car up first thing in the morning. Oil slowly leaks past the seals into the cylinders overnight, then burns up as you start the car up. My MX-5 did something different though... Under engine braking/over-run, the crank case vacuum sucks oil past the seals. Then as soon as you step on the throttle again, huge amounts of blue smoke escapes from your exhaust.

Was thinking about blowing up my engine and putting a new one in, but did my research and found that it's fairly cheap to fix.
    So here it goes =)

Firstly, I drained all the coolant and removed the top water hose as well as the intake piping. May as well remove the filter and air flow meter so you have more access to the exhaust manifold bolts. Everything was set to TDC, no need to though since the head is coming off.

Valve cover removed and showing the nice clean insides.

Cam pulleys removed and exhaust manifold un-bolted.

Camshafts and cam caps removed.

BOOOYAHHH! The head is off =)

I decided to keep the intake manifold on the head to make removal easier. But will be removed before I send it to the engine machine shop.

Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

Engine Out - http://omgpham.com/engine-out

After receiving my cylinder head back from Chilton Engineering, they informed me that my head was no good. The head tested too soft, which meant it overheated some time in the past, valve springs were damaged, valve seats were damaged. Pretty much scrap metal... To purchase a second hand head would cost around $500-$600, whereas buying an entire engine would cost $800 and also means I'll be replacing this "short nose crank" engine with a later model "big nose crank" engine. I obviously decided to go with a replacement engine =)

I was initially planning to remove just the engine and leave the gearbox in but this proved to be more difficult, so both engine and gearbox will be removed as a unit. The following had to be disconnected from the gearbox:

• neutral switch wiring
    • reverse light switch wiring
    • speedo drive cable
    • clutch line
    • Power Plant Frame
    • shifter

While under the car, I also drained the transmission fluid so that it doesn't leak too much as we tilt the gearbox out of the engine bay.

Some photos now:

Bonnet removed to make it easier to work one.

Radiator and fans removed.

Exhaust headers removed.

Shifter removed revealing ripped shifter boot.

The damaged head... =(
    Daily
    Daihatsu Feroza
    2nd Car
    Mazda MX-5 NA6
    Name
    John

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=38030

She's Heartless - http://omgpham.com/shes-heartless

Had some time today so went ahead with removing the engine out, I like to call it a heart transplant. Was a pretty straight forward process and easy enough to do by my self. Tried to take as many photos as I could remember, enjoy =)

Before I could start, had to remove the front lip because it couldn't clear the engine crane. Stupid ride height...

Chained up and slowly lift and tilt it out.

And it's out!!!!!

Once the engine was safely outside of the engine bay, I split the gearbox away from the engine. Once that ws done, I saw that the clutch was getting old so decided to replace it while everything was out.

Picked up a Exedy Heavy Duty clutch kit from NPC. Price was awesome and came with the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing.

That's it for now, should be picking up the replacement engine tomorrow. Then more fun =)
    Daily
    Daytona 675
    2nd Car
    Black NA MX5
    Name
    Duy

did you remember to get a spigot bearing?