Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: car enthusiast, what is your definition, are you an enthusiast?

Daily
    CITY RAIL

Quote Originally Posted by philz View Post
    an enthusiast is a person who likes a shit car ... aka Honda Civic, slams the ride and puts $5000 wheels (which cost more than the car) and starts a thread it on the internetz.
    Then calls everyone second person a Hater and that Form> Function. He or she will then hate on every single car because 1. it has fake wheels 2. it's not low enough 3. it's not a honda
    This man knows.
    Daily
    chauffeured like a boss
    2nd Car
    1990 Celica GT4
    Name
    Dean

Great read bluesprinter, I think once a car enthusiast will always be a car enthusiast. I know 99% of my time is thinking about my car and what I want to do next to my car or I’m appreciating the build of someone elses car . I try not to judge someone on first appearances because becoming a car enthusiast is a learning curve.

I never use to think much of cars until I got my first car a 1988 Toyota Celica ST162. That was it for me, from then on I wanted to give it a paint job and make it all pretty especially after hearing stories of previous cars my dad had worked on when he was younger. Unfortunately the car was already on its way out being so old that it wasn’t worth keeping so I got a 1990 Toyota Celica ST184 let’s just say this was in the day of Pimp my Ride and the Hot4s magazines and they were my main inspiration … I laugh at myself now. Till I finally bought the car I have now, a 1990 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST185. I have put a lot of time and effort (and money) into this car and I don’t see on ever stopping … always investigating what would make it better and in what order I need to do it up. It will be a long slow road but it’s something I enjoy learning about and doing.
    MY CARR
    Celica Car Club Brisbane - All Celica models welcome to join
    http://www.facebook....icaClubBrisbane [email protected] http://cccb.the-talk.net
    Daily
    180sx

I blame Shannons.
    Everyone is trying to prove they are a car enthusiast to get the best insurance.... At the end of the day I consider myself a car because when somebody asks me about my car or a car I am interested in, I cannot help but get excited and 'enthusiastic'.

What more do you need? to be registered on several internet forums? Wash your car twice a week? pfff...

I find a lot of the time, the people who are overly defensive of their newest wheel purchase are actually a little skeptical whether spending all that money was really worth it. They are in denial and have a constant need to prove everybody else as to why it's worth it in order to distract themselves from the facts they know deep down inside.

It really is not about what, how fast or how sexy your ride is. Just about how you honestly feel about the way cars look, sound and drive.

just my 2 cents.
    Daily
    CRX SiR
    2nd Car
    Suzuki Cappuccino
    Name
    Aleks

Quote Originally Posted by bluesprinter View Post
    so to sum it up, a car enthusiast will always have a car/cars on their mind 24/7, while eating, they think about cars, sleeping, dreaming, drifting, racing, at work, in a car they will be wishing they were inside of the insides of a car, after sex they lay there thinking about what next to do to the car to gain that extra 0.5sec off their PB lap time, it has consume one persons mind and evolved into being part of this persons life and personality
    By your definition, this is not a car enthusiast; This is an obsessed person. (now im not stating that im not obsessed, simple fact of the matter is that i am)
    Im going to have to argue that an enthusiast is simply some who sees a car as more than basic transport. Yes i understand that includes a fuck ton of people but bad luck. Distinguish yourself from them by the quality of your car, ie maintain it to a level higher than they will even if its a true shitbox.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainColen View Post
    I blame Shannons.
    Everyone is trying to prove they are a car enthusiast to get the best insurance.... At the end of the day I consider myself a car because when somebody asks me about my car or a car I am interested in, I cannot help but get excited and 'enthusiastic'.
    This guy turns into a car when he sees one, his inside knowledge should be taken into account.
    Daily
    chauffeured like a boss
    2nd Car
    1990 Celica GT4
    Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainColen View Post
    At the end of the day I consider myself a car
    is this you?

http://www.dogonews.com/2011/3/25/me...an-transformer
    MY CARR
    Celica Car Club Brisbane - All Celica models welcome to join
    http://www.facebook....icaClubBrisbane [email protected] http://cccb.the-talk.net
    Daily
    VL Turbo BT1
    2nd Car
    VL Calais Turbo
    Name
    Angus smart.

A true enthusiast lets everyone know what their opinion is on the internet, and doesnt say one word in person.
    Daily
    Blueberry MX-5
    2nd Car
    A Wild Pokemon
    Name
    Gilbert

Looking at your car as your second girlfriend.

Or your first for some.
    Daily
    R31 skyline
    2nd Car
    HR31 coupe
    Name
    Jeremy

For me, I notice I have a different mentality than my close friends who aren't into cars at all. They all say "BUY A NEW CAR!! I just don't understand why you spend money on a tissue box from 1945" I guess they are under the impression anything older than 10 years is ugly and having a new BMW 318i or Mercedes poor man's model is what owning a car should be. They're completely shocked when I'm at the petrol station and someone stops me and says "your car looks awesome" or "would you be interested in selling me your car?" I love seeing the looks on their faces haha

I just enjoy driving something from a different time period, I've driven so many late model cars and they're boring to drive, everything is assisted. Every new car feels like its made from the same plastic a wheelie bin is made from. It's always nice to see something on the road from 20,30,40 years ago that still looks great in today's times.

I'd much prefer to do maintenance repairs myself then take it to a mechanic, and most of the time willing to help a mate with some work on their own car. My friends get pissed because I can only carry one person in the back and have 1/4 tank of fuel because of the tyre scrubbage, but I don't give a shit, I'm not a taxi. I just appreciate the work and effort that goes into an enthusiasts car, whether it be my own or someone else's.

I personally think alot of people that only have a mild interest in cars label themselves as enthusiasts.
    An enthusiast is someone who loves and feels passionaltley about cars.
    I mean I like to go see movies a lot but I am not a film enthusiasts. I'd say I am just mildly interested in it.
    Daily
    bus
    2nd Car
    JDM EP3R

i spend my time at work such as right at this very moment on forums like jdmst therefore i am car enthusiast
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast