Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: car enthusiast, what is your definition, are you an enthusiast?

Daily
    Subaru Liberty RX
    2nd Car
    810 goon and 610 4Dr

Quote Originally Posted by JezHR31 View Post
    For me, I notice I have a different mentality than my close friends who aren't into cars at all.
    I get this too, for some of my friends, even ones that do have a mild interest in cars, it is always "the newer the better"
    They buy a car and a couple months later they are already planning on upgrading to a newer model. I get told all the time why dont you by a newer car so you dont have to keep fixing it, then get looked at weird when i say i enjoy that part.

I think that even if you have no interest in doing work on your car yourself, if you have ever gone for a drive with no destination or purpose in mind, then you can consider yourself a car enthusiast.
    Daily
    bus
    2nd Car
    JDM EP3R

Quote Originally Posted by dobo View Post
    I think that even if you have no interest in doing work on your car yourself, if you have ever gone for a drive with no destination or purpose in mind, then you can consider yourself a car enthusiast.
    i have a purpose, just not a destination
    Daily
    '75 SuperCub 90, '86 GB500TT
    2nd Car
    '60 Ford XK Falcon
    Name
    Aly

My contribution:

An enthusiast is someone who does illogical things because they like their car.

It could be someone who lives with the harshness, heat and noise of a stripped-down racer as a daily because they couldn't think of driving anything else. Someone who takes a long-obsolete car and modifies it thoroughly, even though they could have bought a new car which would drive better, be more practical, and use less fuel. Someone who, in the pursuit of aesthetic perfection, researches hard and tweaks their suspension, guards, tyre stretch and camber angles at the sacrifice of handling and comfort so not even an angel's hair would slip between the rim and the guard. Someone who maintains their Morris Marina meticulously to showroom standard because they just like it, even though it's not particularly collectible or interesting.

Someone who answers the eternal question of "Why?" with "Why the hell not?" =P
    Daily
    E36 325i
    Name
    Justin

wen i go 2 da maccaz kar park wif all mi matezz n our mumz failcodorez with no hubkepz bcoz itz sik n den rip gud skidz and do other fooly sik stuff 4 da chikz n get busted by da copz n kenarid on a curent affer in mi evo sti s17 drift kar.

i den is kar infoosiast.

Srsly tho, you guys have pretty much covered it, my car is pretty much my girlfriend as sad as that sounds lol
    AE82 Winton PB: 1:44.4420 on Advan A048's
    ZZT231 Winton PB 1:44.9740 on Federal RSR
    E36 325i Winton PB: ... soon ...
    Banned
    Daily
    AE86
    2nd Car
    CBR250R
    Name
    Ask your Mum

car
    1    [kahr]
    noun
    1.an automobile.

enthusiast
       [en-thoo-zee-ast, -ist]
    noun
    1.a person who is filled with enthusiasm for some principle, pursuit, etc.; a person of ardent zeal.

So put 1 and 1 together.

Someone who show enthusiasm for Cars.To me its about the Driving experience.

but the majority of people here seem to be Car Narcissists
    Daily
    Mazda 3 MPS

Anyone who derives more value from their car than simply getting from A to B. Regardless of what that is.
    Last edited by Reedy; 27-03-12 at 06:18 PM.

when I open my garage and look at my car, i get a knot and butterflies in my stomach, then when i start it up and ehar the engine rumbling and brapping (rotary), I get goosebumps and a feeling similar to being nervous, like having sex for the first time. When I boost it I get a shot of adrenalin like no other, not even my 1 litre superbike gives me that kind of adrenalin. This, to me anyway, is what makes me a car enthusiast, its the emotion that goes into driving rather than someone just driving a machine to get from A to B.
    Daily
    bus
    2nd Car
    JDM EP3R

Anyone who derives more value from their car than simply getting from A to B. Regardless of what that is.
    its so bad when people treat their cars as simple tools for getting from A to B dont they have any pride in themselves
    Last edited by Fr4n; 27-03-12 at 11:44 PM.
    Daily
    Mitsubishi Magna
    2nd Car
    2001 Subaru WRX STi
    Name
    Kevin

I work for Shannons Insurance for 2 years and everytime someone rang up for an insurance quote, we always asked "what makes you a motoring enthusiast?" I personally think it can be defined in many ways. Some people think that just by watching shows like Top Gear, American Chopper and motorsport events makes them an enthusiast...i think to a point they are.

A true motoring enthusiast is someone that has a passion for cars. Its in their blood. They love it. They build cars, attend shows, motorsport events, respect all aspects of the motoring scene. At the end of the day, if you can say someone you spend nearly every weekend doing something car related, then your an enthusiast. But if you speak to someone like Tracy Grimshaw, she believes car enthusiasts are just hoons...lol...

Ive been into cars since high school. From the time i could drive. My uncle has his own workshop, races V8s, defensive driver training instructor and CAMS official. So for me, its in the family, always has been. I respects the V8s as much as i respect the JDM/SexSpec/Muscle/Custom bikes, etc....
    Daily
    Mazda 3 SP23

eat , sleeps , dreams & talks cars ...

someone who attends a car show/event for the hell of it , talks about cars all day long . goes home picks up a car mag while on the toilet and watches cars shows. spends weekend working cars .. even it the shitty jobs like rubbing a car down , changing a wheel bearing ... all his Facebook friends or likes are car related ..
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast