Thread: Tyre shop horror stories

Daily
    sillycar
    2nd Car
    Z32
    Name
    Martin

Tyre shop horror stories

Let's hear them! what've you encountered?

First time I got an alignment on my "stanced" z32 it was at the same shop that it was getting engineered at. I wound up the coils for the inspection, and said to the aligner to wind them down, then even the camber and set toe in to .5mm/.2mm F/R.

Came back the next day -

- Ride height is fucked. VISUALLY 1" higher on one side than the other. Aligner said he was compensating for unevenly distributed weight... that's why it leans like the tower of pisa, right?
    - Camber arms are adjusted completely differently on each side to compensate for ride height difference
    - Advised me I should run 2mm toe in for each degree of camber for "even tread wear across the tyre", so I should run 8mm toe in. Awesome. Even tread wear for... 500 clicks 'til I have to replace them.
    - Pulled my rear guards WITH A CROWBAR for more clearance (even though it didn't scrub) WITHOUT my consent... are you fucking kidding me?!

I expressed my displeasure, and the owner (who was very accommodating, put up with my shit and was all 'round a very nice guy who I'd recommend) allowed me to stay after hours and do it myself. Killer.

Next place I went to for a rear alignment after deleting rear wheel steering said they'd only do a full assessment, not just the rear... right, fine, but it took us literally 20 minutes to get the car off the hoist it was beached so badly. The owner clearly by the end didn't want the business, but the fellow doing the alignment was pretty cool.

Lastly, there was my experience at Marks and Wallings City Discount Tyres West Ryde, whom I used a few times for supply/fit/alignment services. I used their car park to visit a nearby store, returned and found my CBR parked in by their company van (very deliberately). I ask what's up, two floor staff chronies that look like they're the result of someone mating with a god damned donkey on crack cocaine come out and threaten (in a very irate, aggressive and loud) that if I ever park there again my bike will disappear and they'll kick my head in. I get that I was in the wrong - but that's not how you deal with people (that are recurring customers as well). If they simply said the car park was too small to accommodate non-visiting public, I would've said fair enough and continued using them.

If somebody can suggest an aligner in Sydney that isn't operated by inbred dropkick deadshit retards who can't tell left from right, I'd love to hear the details. Where do the Sydney drift cars get set up?

-A
    1989 2+2 TT FIVE SPEED Z32 IMPORT
    ongoing resto-mod project
    slammed & stanced, wired tucked, boosted
    Daily
    D22 Brahvara
    2nd Car
    s2 RX7
    Name
    Paul

Took my car to get new tyres fitted (i have my own contacts for rubber so i dont buy from any retailer).

Taken from my build thread.

"So long story short... I got some new rubber for my C-Ultras and decided after about 4 drift days it was time for a wheel alignment.

Anyway, the place i go to had been good to me in the past with previous cars.

Long story short their new wheel alignment guy decided to drive my car up on to the machine at quite a speed resulting in the exhaust catching on the hoist and in turn snapping some studs on the dump.

I didnt realise for a couple of hours (its not bad till it comes on boost), and by then they were closed. I return the on the monday and they deny all responsibility and refuse to fix the car. "

Jax haberfield.
    isn't paulies motto "i can run faster aroused, than you can scared" - clutch-monkey
    Daily
    RPS13

Jobsons Campsie stripped 2 of the studs on my Type x and needed 2 goes to balance, also didnt balance the wheels properly on my corolla.

took them to Taleb and they balanced them without any problem

They are cheap and have RE002 but damn they cant balance or align a car for shit, tried to tell me they couldnt do the rear camber on my type x
    Daily
    VB11 Van
    Name
    Tom

Tyre shops aren't always the best place to get a decent alignment. I always use Wholesale Suspension and would definitely recommend them.
    Daily
    EP91 Starlet

When the guy at Beaurepairs orders in 215 instead of 205 because it was easier and thought I "wouldn't mind"
    what
    Last edited by declanbehan; 22-09-12 at 09:47 AM.
    Speciality: Making the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.
    Daily
    '08 Liberty GT-B
    Name
    Matthew

lol Mark and Wallings at West Ryde..
    Bunch of knobjockeys. Always have, always will be.

A mate of mine used to work next door. West Ryde discount tyres - big yellow building.
    He left there to work at Subaru, but at rego time 3 months later I still took my Corolla down to get inspected.
    The new pink slip guy went over it like it was going for a blue slip. Told me I needed 4 brand new tyres which it didn't as they were only 30,000km old anyway and still had receipts to prove it.
    He said to me stop doing burnouts in it and tyres would last longer - yes cos I can do burnouts in an automatic 4AC carby AE82 Flatback Corolla for sure
    Couldn't be bothered arguing, so I got 4 cheapies fitted as the car was going up for sale that week as it was..
    New tyre fitter was there and not the other usual guy.
    Get tyres fitted. All good. Pay for it, $250, alignment. etc
    Pick car up, no probs.
    Drive home. MASSIVE WHEEL WOBBLE. Get no more 500m up the road turn into a side street near West Ryde station/shops to inspect and the front left wheel nuts weren't even tied up properly and I lost one. Front wheel was virtually hanging off the car. So here I am at 4pm Thursday arvo peak hour jacking the car up to tightening the wheels up so I can get home.
    Car still steers to the left with slightly less wheel wobble.

Find out, one other nut is threaded, and the car's alignment was still way way out.
    Get home rang them and abused shit out of them.

Never been back and explained situation to my mate. He said, after they left they went full dodge (worse than before, like they passed my Satria GTi each year without even looking at it most years) and to avoid.

Now I have another mate that works for Bridgestone at Merrylands.
    Recently got new tyres for the Lib.
    Great price, fitted me in no probs. Perfect service, not just to me, but ANYONE who walked in the door that day I was there.
    Manager also found out he lives in the next street to me.
    Another tyre fitter there who i haven't seen for years I used to rave with and be eshays.

No problems, happy little family.

Word of mouth is best form of business.
    Daily
    '75 SuperCub 90, '86 GB500TT
    2nd Car
    '60 Ford XK Falcon
    Name
    Aly

Quote Originally Posted by Anti View Post
    If somebody can suggest an aligner in Sydney that isn't operated by inbred dropkick deadshit retards who can't tell left from right, I'd love to hear the details.
    I'd recommend Heasmans in Sydenham, who have lots of experience with unconventional suspension setups, performance and racing cars and generally are known to do a top-notch job. But, don't go there expecting lasers and computerised printouts - they do things the old fashioned way by hand, and take plenty to time and care doing so.
    Will translate stuff in Japanese!
    Daily
    '93 Liberty Turbo
    2nd Car
    '75 2002, '90 MX5

i fit and balance my tires myself. it takes very little expertise, hence why you get such useless ****s working at tire shops who don't give a fuck.

has anybody got a wheel alignment place recommendation in western Melbourne? all of the places in geelong are useless and i need a very precise alignment having a lightweight car.
    Daily
    Camry
    Name
    jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jace. View Post

has anybody got a wheel alignment place recommendation in western Melbourne? all of the places in geelong are useless and i need a very precise alignment having a lightweight car.

Tyre Power North Melb.
    Daily
    Corolla SX

^ What Jeff said. Speak to Chris the owner.

My own account:
    Sold a set of rare Sprint Hart CP wheels but the buyer did not want the tyres so we agreed he could pick it up the following day if I removed I had the tyres removed. Quickly jotted down to Kmart Tyre & Auto and requested to have the tyres removed. Long story short; the lazy/incompetent arse.hole of a tyre fitter decided to have a smoke while removing the tyres which resulted in the crowbar gouging out fine metal shavings from the beaded lip to a knife edge finish. Needless to say the deal did not go through and manager at said tyre place denied all wrong-doing. Absolute fuck tards
Page 1 of 15 1234567811 ... LastLast