Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CBR V 250R Ninja?

Daily
    Eg4 Civic
    Name
    ansell

CBR V 250R Ninja?

Hey Guy & Girls

Sorry in advance for this thread. Need advice..

My older brother and I recently got our motorbike learners, and hopefully going for our P's mid January. I was planning on purchasing my own motorbike around my birthday next year (May).

I've been reading and watching things for LAMS approved bikes almost every day since I got my licence, however it is difficult to gauge how suitable bikes are for very novice riders, that is also suitable for a budget.

Currently I'm considering a 1989 CBR250R as they are reasonably cheap, however a brand new CBR250R is also on the cards (spoke with a guy at a dealership re; brand new abs model). Haven't spoken with anybody regarding a Ninja 250R, however numerous good reviews keeps it in the game.

Pretty much my question is.. Would it generally be a good idea to ride something around that's a little older with not a heap of riding experience, learn the ropes/how to treat a motorbike? Or is getting a brand new bike a smarter option?

Sorry again for the thread, but any advice is truly appreciated
    Daily
    Onitsuka Tigers
    2nd Car
    Accord Euro CU2
    Name
    Kevin

i have a ninja 250r and have ridden my friends cbr250rr and all i can say if you need to be a fan of the 250rr's to appreciate one, its faster than the ninja and sounds more sexy, different riding positions (more comfortable for the ninja, cbr250rr cos its a sports bike you gotta lean forward so it hurts my back when i jumped on it from riding the ninja (different opinons for different people) but yeah you will have to take care of it more and getting one not thrashed would be a challenge!

the ninja's look nicer in my opinon, better resell, its new so you won't be hassled by much

ninjas are the safe option and cbr250rrs are more exotic, if you're a fan then go for it but if you aren't really, i really recommend the ninja! i think its a really good learners bike

that's all i can say

I've personally always loved the CBR'S. However, I had one for my learner bike and absolutely love it compared to the horrible sound and looks of the ninja. BUT!!! and this is a huge but, the CBR's are an old bike, they will cost you an arm and a leg to upkeep, they are not the most reliable and in the end I honestly would recommend a brand new CBR rather than an old one. Trust me, you'll end up spending just as much repairing an old CBR, they always have problems, but thats because they're +20 year old bikes. my 2 cents anyway.
    Daily

If your gonna spend the money to get a new 250 ninja, you might aswell get the ninja 300.
    Daily
    99' S15
    2nd Car
    05' ZX6R 636

CBR V 250R Ninja?

Both great learner bikes, I started off with a Ninja 250R because I had no clue about motorcycles when I started riding, ended up buying a brand new 2010 Ninja 250R for 7.5K, crazy price for a beginner but I was mechanically trouble free. Great learners bike, very easy to handle, commute and petrol was relatively cheap( like every motorcycle). In terms of replacement parts and modifications, being a new bike it was very expensive and unless you have the resources to get parts from, which I did, you'll be paying a shit load of money on replacement parts if you buy locally.

In terms of the price of the motorcycle itself, if I had that mechanical knowledge back then and I had mates that rode, I would've got a CBR250RR since parts are easy to get, an Australian forum with alot of resources and info, cbr250.com, and you don't have to worry about dropping it since its an old bike.

In terms of power and performance, the cbr250rr would be the choice again, it's a much more faster motorcycle then the ninja 250r, sounds great and you won't get bored of it ( I ended up upgrading from the Ninja to an RVF400), handles good, easy to throw around corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like a few member said if your going to get a ninja 250R you can consider a ninja 300.
    I've owned a 250rr and zx2r on my L's I must say power wise Honda cbr250rr will be a bit quicker because its smaller. But since I commute to work everyday on the bike I ended up using a zx2r ninja which handle great for the size it was and parts are easy to get as well just like the 250rr.
    Daily
    180SX
    2nd Car
    New Beetle
    Name
    mikk

You could also consider the zz-r250. Plenty of them cheap and lot of them owned by girls so have had easy lives lol.

I still have one, and have had it for many years. Never had any mechanical trouble. When I got it, it was practically new and was able to match and even in some cases outperform the sickly old CBR250RRs my friends had.

I remember dragging CBR250RRs with my ZZ-R250 and their different things like worn clutch, dirty carbs, high km motor, out of tune would allow me to win when really they are supposed to make more power. One time in the early days they got all excited and when we stopped pointed out that I done a big wheelie without me even realising. I then took note that having to look sideways around the bike to see straight ahead meant that the front wheel was in the air Also don't forget that new tyres makes a HUGE difference on a motorbike.

Where the bike wasn't so good though was the lack of ground clearance. When getting a massive lean on, the pegs and centre stand (yes it has a built in centre stand under it as well as the side stand) would scrape at about the point where you get your knee down. The first time it happens will scare the crap out of you.

Anyway, what i'm really trying to point out is, don't underestimate the importance of getting something new and problem free.
    Daily
    98 Corolla
    Name
    Kenny

CBR Vs Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ansell93 View Post
    Hey Guy & Girls

Sorry in advance for this thread. Need advice..

My older brother and I recently got our motorbike learners, and hopefully going for our P's mid January. I was planning on purchasing my own motorbike around my birthday next year (May).

I've been reading and watching things for LAMS approved bikes almost every day since I got my licence, however it is difficult to gauge how suitable bikes are for very novice riders, that is also suitable for a budget.

Currently I'm considering a 1989 CBR250R as they are reasonably cheap, however a brand new CBR250R is also on the cards (spoke with a guy at a dealership re; brand new abs model). Haven't spoken with anybody regarding a Ninja 250R, however numerous good reviews keeps it in the game.

Pretty much my question is.. Would it generally be a good idea to ride something around that's a little older with not a heap of riding experience, learn the ropes/how to treat a motorbike? Or is getting a brand new bike a smarter option?

Sorry again for the thread, but any advice is truly appreciated

I've been in the same situation and this was the advise I got from my friend.

NEVER BUY BRAND NEW BIKES AS LEARNERS!!!

Why? Because there's a high chance of you dropping it even from a stand still position (with not much experience) or from some passionate riding (i.e. leaning GP style) or perhaps some idiot on the road decides that they'll kiss your bike with their car. You can never be sure what's going to happen next so getting a nice, second hand bike that you can use and resell at a relatively close price makes more sense than buying a brand new one when you're still learning.

As for the matter of CBRR vs Ninja, I own a 2008 Ninja 250 so speaking from experience, it's a great bike. Riding position wise it's a great bike to start off, not too upright as the later models (2009- 2012). AND THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE A NINJA 250 WILL GIVE YOU AN EASIER TIME WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO GET YOUR PROVISIONAL LICENSE. Why? Because one of the task in the exam is to do a U-turn without putting your foot down and in a limited space, the steering angle from the Ninja will help greatly whereas with the CBRR you either have to lean much more (meaning perfect balance) in order to complete the turn. I know because I did the practice course on a Aprillia RS125 which handles pretty much like the CBRR and halfway through the course I wanted to give up because it was damn near impossible.

The Aprillia was my mate's bike which he lend to me for the day because my sister decided to was going to take my bike for a ride and bloody dropped it 2 days before my P test. The handle bar was bent so I couldn't use it for the test itself -___- but I ended up using a friend's Ninja (same model, she did the test on the same day as me) to complete the test and almost got perfect score!!!!!

Anyhow after getting more confident you can mod your bike to your liking, parts are readily available from ebay. I got Xrace rear sets so it changes my feet position on the bike and my position sitting more forward (but nothing uncomfortable because they're adjustable) as I'm prepared to go into the corner leaning hard nowadays, chicken strip - 2mm on my rear 140/70/17 tyres hehehe.

CBRR is known for their quality built and performance, could be the fastest 250 in its class but at that limitation, a few horses don't justify the need to spend more money so which ever you find that suits your budget and appeal to you more, I say go for it. At the end of the day, it's your bike.

Goodluck

ninja 250r are slow and they sound crap compared to a cbr250rr. Your better off getting a cbr250rr although older, you will have more fun in it, and it has double disc brakes compared to the single disc brake with the ninja. If your after something quicker invest in an rvf400 which is learner legal. All the hondas have the option to buy TYGA kits as well which look awesome, and better then the two circle headlights, and flat tail.
    8129 Clayvale Rd, Santa Clarita, CA 91390
    Daily
    Honda Accord
    2nd Car
    Audi a8
    Name
    Chris Miller

I suggest you to think outside the box. As far as performance is considered, Ninja 250 is the best bike to ride. Perhaps, cbr 250r is not bad idea but go with cutting edge technology.
    ------------------------
    motorcycle shipping at reasonable price
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast