Thread: Welded cat vs. bolt on cat

Daily
    V8

Welded cat vs. bolt on cat

I've had my full exhaust done by a reputable exhaust shop, and the cat is welded onto the headers and cat back.

Never bothered me until now, because now I want to change the cat back.

Anyone know why they welded on the cats? Save money? Too lazy to make flanges?
    Is this normal?
    Daily
    city rail
    2nd Car
    MKII / EP71
    Name
    Matt

bit of both.. save costs .. also makes it cheaper for you .. also if you run a bolt in you require a gasket either end giving more chance for it to blow out.. weld in is best.. if they were to do a bolt in they would have charged you for flanges and gaskets..

i dont see how this prevents you from changing the exhaust from the cat back .. just means the shop wil have to cut the existing and do a new section.. unless you are talking about having interchangable exhaust.. if so just get them to ad the flanges to both what the cut off and to the new section .. no biggie
    Daily
    RPS13

just be more specific in your wants next time, i never knew what i was getting when i went to the exhaust shop on my ps, 2in high flow muffler cuz bro,

now its like i want a flange here, here, here made out of the lightest unicorn feather encrusted metal you can find with mandrel bends
    Daily
    V8

Quote Originally Posted by Ke10rolla View Post
    bit of both.. save costs .. also makes it cheaper for you .. also if you run a bolt in you require a gasket either end giving more chance for it to blow out.. weld in is best.. if they were to do a bolt in they would have charged you for flanges and gaskets..

i dont see how this prevents you from changing the exhaust from the cat back .. just means the shop wil have to cut the existing and do a new section.. unless you are talking about having interchangable exhaust.. if so just get them to ad the flanges to both what the cut off and to the new section .. no biggie
    Hmm... fair enough.. thanks for that Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by anastasios View Post
    just be more specific in your wants next time, i never knew what i was getting when i went to the exhaust shop on my ps, 2in high flow muffler cuz bro,

now its like i want a flange here, here, here made out of the lightest unicorn feather encrusted metal you can find with mandrel bends

hahahaha, yeah, thanks !