Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How do you consider yourself as a driver?

Daily
    S14a

Quote Originally Posted by tarmac View Post
    I think what the guy meant to say was, you can decrease your chances of getting into an accident.

Obviously there are instances you can't avoid, you guys take it to literally here.
    & you don't take it literally enough - too*
    Sydney, NSW, Australia, Earth, Milky Way, Universe
    Daily
    S13

Quote Originally Posted by tarmac View Post
    I think what the guy meant to say was, you can decrease your chances of getting into an accident.

Obviously there are instances you can't avoid, you guys take it to literally here.
    No I read english.. If he says "every accident is avoidable" one would think every accident is avoidable. Shouldn't take the fact that I'm not a stone cold retard to figure that out about his post. If he thought "most" accidents or "any" accidents were avoidable, I'd assume he would use those words.

nerd
    Daily
    GSXR600
    2nd Car
    FD3S
    Name
    Khoi

Quote Originally Posted by Paoooul View Post
    I was stopped, focusing on the heavy turning traffic ahead of me at a "Turn left at any time with care" sign and I watched someone (while checking rear view mirror briefly) run into the rear of my car at somewhere between 80-100km/h. Could you please explain how that was avoidable?

Please enlighten me oh holy one, doer of no wrongs, avoider of accidents.
    Quote Originally Posted by lockieoc View Post
    Kyon, How's being run up the arse while sitting in traffic avoidable? Staying home perhaps? Or maybe just catching public transport?...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
    If you don't notice someone barreling towards you that fast then you're clearly not paying attention. If the car behind me looks like it's coming in too fast then I'll always start tapping my brakes (and flashing my brake lights as a result) until they noticeably start slowing down.

I should rephrase what I said to "there is almost always something you can do to avoid an accident". If you're in the middle of a 5 car pileup in the middle of traffic then there's nothing you could really do.

That said hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure that most people realise something they could've done differently in order to prevent/avoid an accident when they look back on it.

Some videos for good measure:

Last edited by Kyon; 14-05-13 at 12:59 PM.
    Sydney, NSW, Australia, Earth, Milky Way, Universe
    Daily
    S13

Quote Originally Posted by Kyon View Post
    If you don't notice someone barreling towards you that fast then you're clearly not paying attention. If the car behind me looks like it's coming in too fast then I'll always start tapping my brakes (and flashing my brake lights as a result) until they noticeably start slowing down.

Some videos for good measure:

The person was doing their make up in the rear view mirror, the area is on a bend and drop. At that speed, around a bend, in a 60km/h area (which has just come down from 80 km/h) there is absolutely nothing you can do. If you need me to show you a map and diagram I guess I can sort something out, but seeing as you have (somehow) had the ability to create a forum account, I'll give in to the chance that you can actually figure this one out for yourself.

Unless you just know you're wrong and don't want to own up to it, which is fine, but just leave through the door to the left instead of digging a whole of stupidity.

Not all accidents are avoidable and it's simple as that.
    Daily
    Peugeot 406 Coupe
    2nd Car
    '00 Prelude VTI-R
    Name
    Mitch

I'm kind of on Kyon's side here...

Mostly because the kind of people who usually preach that accidents are unavoidable are the ones always putting themselves in dangerous positions by braking late, not checking before entering a roundabout etc.
    That's not to say it's their fault - it takes two to tango.

Paoooul, you've obviously had a bad experience that seems like one in a million. Sorry bro.

I personally think it's entirely about spatial awareness... Constantly checking all around you so you know exactly where everybody else is.
    Daily
    Zenki
    Name
    Philip Screw Driver

there is only one way to settle this, So check it out, it's like this: If I lose, winner takes my car clean and clear. But if I win, I take the cash, *and* I take the respect! To some people, that's more important
    People need to do more crimes / break and enter / rob banks / rape kids / kidnapping / Murder, until then, car enthusiast and their vehicles are a dangerous threat to the public
    Daily
    Holden
    Name
    Nick

on the topic of accidents being avoidable, i think most are, but some to the point where it does not make you any less of a driver if you didn't avoid them. example: my aunty avoided getting rear ended by some guy stopped at the lights. how? she saw him coming, and jumped onto a curb to gtfo of the way as he flew through a red light. if she hadn't of done that, i would not have considered her any less of a driver.

on the topic of am i a good driver?

0 accidents in my total 4 years of driving other than being hit, stopped at a red light. the lady got out and said she was extremely sorry as she did not realise that she hadn't come to a complete stop (i was like 'lol wtf?'). In traffic, i consider myself to be an exceptionally good driver, but don't put it down to driving - i consider that i am exceptionally aware of all other drivers. that has nothing to do with my ability to push a pedal or turn a steering wheel. that said, i will never concede that my breaking speed laws is endangering anybody any more than the majority of drivers who obey them. i can count times where i was in the wrong and potentially could have caused an accident on one hand, and none of them were while i was speeding. i am of the opinion that about half the drivers in melbourne are fcking retarded and should not be allowed out of their homes.

as far as driving driving goes, i do not consider myself to be that great. however i believe that i know my limits, which allows my to push my car with confidence, knowing that my own limit is lower than that of the car. i am always trying to learn and improve.
    Daily
    Honda Integra DC2R
    2nd Car
    None
    Name
    Nathan

Well it's good to see a great response. I asked this question cause I had quite an interesting driving moment when I took a few corners to quickly and induced quite a lot of lift off oversteer in my DC2R. Held it through and my mate shitting himself in the passenger seat told me he hadn't ever seen driving like that commemorated me for it and it got me thinking about how good people think they can drive.

So from that and a few other defining driving moments I like to say I can feel a lot of what goes in my car (comfortable in a fwd so far) and that I'm pretty good atm. But always willing to learn as I realise it's only really started with my n/a vtec fwd monitor. So I really just want to explore all other types of configs like FR, MR and all the best of it!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by maykosilvia; 19-05-13 at 05:42 PM.
    Gutter to gutter in a school zone gets all the sluts
    Daily
    Lexus 2004 is200
    2nd Car
    Toyota 2007 Corolla
    Name
    Khoa

i can say im an ok driver but i've been having a lot of dreams lately of me crashing my is200 not sure what that means........ haha
    Daily
    Honda civic
    2nd Car
    Mercedes-Benz SL63 A
    Name
    David

I'm a pretty safe driver now that im on my fulls.