Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best New and Used Motorcycles for Beginning Motorcycle Riders...

Daily
    Hatchback - Maruti Swift
    2nd Car
    Maruti Zen Estilo
    Name
    Anant Audichya

Best New and Used Motorcycles for Beginning Motorcycle Riders...

Motorcycling is an all-encompassing sport in which families can participate. However, it's entirely too easy for inexperienced motorcyclists to purchase new and used motorcycles that are beyond their ability level. This usually isn't a problem for young children learning on small dirt bikes, but it can be problematic for adults who may feel that their size requires them to purchase a new motorcycle that has a larger frame and engine displacement. Unfortunately, the range of new motorcycles now available in this weight class (250cc-650cc) has ratcheted down, making way for 800cc and larger middleweight motorcycles.

Studies indicate that most motorcyclists who are involved in accidents have had less than one year of riding experience, and typically did not obtain prior instruction through an Motorcycle Safety Foundation-sponsored motorcycle safety course. These classes introduce riders to the sport of motorcycling on small, easily-maneuverable used motorcycles that are typically 250cc in displacement or smaller. The lighter weight of these motorcycles make them ideal motorcycles for riders with little or no experience, but that's exactly what they are for, training. When you purchase your first new or used motorcycle, you may want to purchase a slightly larger bike, while still remaining on the small side of the displacement spectrum. This means looking at new and used motorcycles built between the 250cc-650cc engine displacement range. These bikes remain lightweight, but have plenty of power for daily riding, and they won't struggle with maintaining highway speeds.

New Motorcycles

1. Suzuki Boulevard S40
    2. Hyosung Avitar
    3. Kawasaki Ninja 650

Used Motorcycles

1. Honda Shadow VLX
    2. Yamaha V Star Custom

Beginning riders should never take for granted their own abilities. While Harley Davidson motorcycles and heavyweight cruisers are extremely desirable, and can be good new and used motorcycles in the hands of an experienced rider, even the 883 Sportster can be a handful if you've never swung a leg over a new or used motorcycle in your life. If you're set on a large-displacement American motorcycle, do yourself a favor and enroll in a training course offered by your local Harley-Davidson dealership before you make a purchase. The tips and hints you receive could save your life.
    Last edited by Anant; 27-04-15 at 06:07 PM.

i think the "best" motorcycle for a beginner depends on the rider and what he prefers the style of. many people (myself included) wouldn't be caught dead on a cruiser such as the boulevard, shadow or v star.

Best Learner bike imo

Suzuki GSX-250F Across

Pros:
    Lams approved
    Cheap
    Fuel indicator
    Gear indicator
    Helmet storage
    Inline 4

Cons:
    Ugly as fuck

-Arv
    Daily
    r32 gtst
    Name
    mick

This ^^^^ Fits 2 6packs of beer in the stoarge compartment with ease , and with 3 holes drilled into the baffle sounds like a rotary on idle
    Daily
    Triumph Sprint ST
    2nd Car
    Rover V8, RX-4 wagon
    Name
    Master Logray

Quote Originally Posted by Anant View Post
    Motorcycling is an all-encompassing sport in which families can participate. However, it's entirely too easy for inexperienced motorcyclists to purchase new and used motorcycles that are beyond their ability level. This usually isn't a problem for young children learning on small dirt bikes, but it can be problematic for adults who may feel that their size requires them to purchase a new motorcycle that has a larger frame and engine displacement. Unfortunately, the range of new motorcycles now available in this weight class (250cc-650cc) has ratcheted down, making way for 800cc and larger middleweight motorcycles.

Studies indicate that most motorcyclists who are involved in accidents have had less than one year of riding experience, and typically did not obtain prior instruction through an Motorcycle Safety Foundation-sponsored motorcycle safety course. These classes introduce riders to the sport of motorcycling on small, easily-maneuverable used motorcycles that are typically 250cc in displacement or smaller. The lighter weight of these motorcycles make them ideal motorcycles for riders with little or no experience, but that's exactly what they are for, training. When you purchase your first new or used motorcycle, you may want to purchase a slightly larger bike, while still remaining on the small side of the displacement spectrum. This means looking at new and used motorcycles built between the 250cc-650cc engine displacement range. These bikes remain lightweight, but have plenty of power for daily riding, and they won't struggle with maintaining highway speeds.

New Motorcycles

1. Suzuki Boulevard S40
    2. Hyosung Avitar
    3. Kawasaki Ninja 650

Used Motorcycles

1. Honda Shadow VLX
    2. Yamaha V Star Custom

Beginning riders should never take for granted their own abilities. While Harley Davidson motorcycles and heavyweight cruisers are extremely desirable, and can be good new and used motorcycles in the hands of an experienced rider, even the 883 Sportster can be a handful if you've never swung a leg over a new or used motorcycle in your life. If you're set on a large-displacement American motorcycle, do yourself a favor and enroll in a training course offered by your local Harley-Davidson dealership before you make a purchase. The tips and hints you receive could save your life.
    you live in Rajastan, but are posting up fucking trippy shit about buying bikes, not knowing mechanics in Sydney etc.

WTF would you know? nothing. sod off.
    Daily
    AE71
    2nd Car
    R32 4 door.

Sorry no, SXV550 all the way for LAMS.

V-Twin ftw.
    Daily
    Focus ST
    2nd Car
    Yamaha R1
    Name
    Ahmad

sure the Across is an i4??
    Daily
    A165H
    2nd Car
    D21 2.7D DX 4x4
    Name
    Josh

Across is indeed an inline 4. My sister has one.

Best LAMS bike I can think of would be a late model Kawasaki GPX250 or 250 Ninja. Cheap, common, reliable, reasonably quick for what they are, handle well, sound rad, cheap parts if required, dead simple and besides, parallel twins FTW. Had a '93 GPX250 when I was 17, was red and white, had alloy wheels and an aftermarket exhaust. Rad little bike, regret selling the fucker to this day. So it's possible that I'm slightly biased, lol
    Rail it & nail it.
    Hillbilly Deluxe Mk.II, '81 Mitsubishi Scorpion/'96 Nissan Navara 4x4/'81 Yamaha IT250/'83 Yamaha YZ125
    Daily
    AE71
    2nd Car
    R32 4 door.

Quote Originally Posted by G54B View Post
    Across is indeed an inline 4. My sister has one.

Best LAMS bike I can think of would be a late model Kawasaki GPX250 or 250 Ninja. Cheap, common, reliable, reasonably quick for what they are, handle well, sound rad, cheap parts if required, dead simple and besides, parallel twins FTW. Had a '93 GPX250 when I was 17, was red and white, had alloy wheels and an aftermarket exhaust. Rad little bike, regret selling the fucker to this day. So it's possible that I'm slightly biased, lol
    I would too if i were you haha. GPX250's are sick.
    Daily
    Slammed VW Golf
    2nd Car
    'Monster' Evo
    Name
    Alex

I ride a Kawasaki KLX250. It is fine for a learner bike. Even though it is a dirtbike...
    Alex King Racing
    Make sure to LIKE my facebook page -> Alex King Racing FB Page
    And checkout my blog -> Alex King Racing BLOG
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast