Page 1 of 15 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing my car for track use

Daily
    180SX

Preparing my car for track use

Hey guys

I'll be going to my first track day in the next few months, which I have been waitng to do for ages.

However, at the moment my car is pretty stock with stock rims, suspensions and some dodgy 16" rubber.

I've got a little money to spend, so I thought it'd be a good idea to spend it on :

a) making sure my car doesn't overheat and blow up (I drive a s4 rx7 and i've heard the factory cooling systems arent that great on these)
    - larger radiator
    - oil cooler

b) tyres
    - I recently bought a set of 17" rims so i need tyres to put on them

c) suspension
    - KYB AGX shocks and lowering springs

d) gauges
    - my stock boost gauge doesn't work so i'll probably one of those, and also oil pressure, engine temp etc

The problem is, I don't have enough money to do all of the above. I can probably manage to do 2 before the track days comes, so I was wondering, for those of you who have been to track days, which mods do you think will be best for me to have a good time while ensuring my car does not blow up? Because I drive a rotary making sure nothing blows is of partciular importance for me.

ALSO, i've heard that its a good idea to change brake fluid, brake pads and oil before heading out to the track? Is that true?

Any help would be great
    Daily
    '99 S2000

brake fluid on engine oil is a good one!

gauges are good to monitor your car for anything that goes wrong

those would be the best ones i can think of! The rest (Suspension, tyres) arent necessary for a good day out at the track! especially if its your first

as long as you have tread left on your 16s than it should be fine...

is your engine still standard? if so, i doubt you even need a larger radiator =)
    Daily
    180sx

Get some semi slicks for the 16's (cheaper than getting them for 17's), a good set of brake pads for the track, and most importantly; a helmet.
    Daily
    MKV R32 Golf
    2nd Car
    R32 GT-R

Just be sure to not go so hard for too many laps. Having gauges is great, oil temp is essential in my opinion, but many don't bother. If you don't have an oil cooler, or oil temp gauge, just make sure to do some cool down laps every 3 hard laps and you should be fine.

You can get better lap times (to some that means more fun) on good tyres and stock suspension, than good suspension with crap tyres.
    JDMST 12 month "Supporting Member" Memberships now open. Click here for the benefits.

Founder: Zen Garage | Australian INfront | Cars Move Us | Bikes Move Us | VWGolf.net.au | Euro Style Tuning
    Blog: SPAMVENTDOCUMENT | Instagram: @justinfoxau
    Builds: R32 GT-R | R32 Golf | NA8C Roadster | Zoomer
    Daily
    Nothing now
    Name
    Chris

which day were you planning on going sriram??
    Also why haven't you shown me your new rims... you work faster than me. I've just ordered a new front lip though.

Pretty much what Justin said is a good idea. I was all fussed about getting new suspension for track so I can have a good handling car on the day/s but then I realised it will be much better to see how much improvements these mods can make over time. So just hit a track day or so on a fairly stock set up and it'll be good to see yourself improve/see the effect of the mods next time.
    So IMO just make sure the car is running safe for the day so that you can have a good time on the day.

In a related thought... is it a good idea to change engine oil before...after.. a track day?
    And how much wear on brakes would be typically see on track (running standard or close to standard brakes)?
    Daily
    180SX

Hey yea i was planning on going to the Dec 1st Circuit club day. I think jong said he was going then too? I'm just planning early because i'm uber excited, and i'm also procrastinating from study.

I got 17" Volk Gt-c's, pretty simple. There a bit heavier than my stock rims but they were so cheap I couldnt say no! 8" front, 9" back.

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess gauages are a good idea then. Semi-slicks are out of the question at this time, I've got a few other things I need to do to the car before I start getting that serious about track days. Proabably get an oil cooler and decent tyres too for the track day, that sounds like it'll be enough.

Zaw, I've been told changing oil before tracking your car is a good idea, kinda makes sense. If your going to be thrashing your car you'd wanna be doing it on fresh fluids rather than older stuff. Same applies for brake fluid i guess.
    Daily
    '99 S2000

those who are super hardcore change their fluids before and after trackdays

to be honest, i change my brake fluids every year, and oil change every 5-10000 kms... depending on what time i have hehe...

i have a stock car still, and like justin said, i dont bother with gauges or anything else for that matter

to put it simple, you dont need to spend all this money, but if you can, then by all means =D
    Daily
    180SX

Quote Originally Posted by narada View Post
    those who are super hardcore change their fluids before and after trackdays

to be honest, i change my brake fluids every year, and oil change every 5-10000 kms... depending on what time i have hehe...

i have a stock car still, and like justin said, i dont bother with gauges or anything else for that matter

to put it simple, you dont need to spend all this money, but if you can, then by all means =D
    Fair enough! I do like to baby my car though haha

I will eventually get all of the above stuff for my car, but becuase some of them are more aesthetic than functional I thought i'd see which would be more useful for me in the near future.

cheers narada!

PS did you get my email?
    Daily
    Honda S2000 (AP2)
    2nd Car
    London Underground
    Name
    Rix

It's almost impossible to find semi's for 16 inch rims. Apart from Kumho V700, which aren't too bad. Much better than street tyres, but shit for race tyres.

If I were you, i'd get some nice oil (if it's hot - 10W-50 or the likes), and some gauges to monitior your temps. This is the most important especially if you don't wanna harm your baby. Next best thing would definately be an Oil cooler!!! get a good one tho, or it might leak, or cause low oil pressure. and then POP!
    Get Oil temp, Oil pressure guages. Temp will be an issue, considering your driving a Turbo.
    Daily
    Nothing now
    Name
    Chris

to add to this again... if i'm running my car on near stock boost 9psi - 180sx... would I really be wanting/needing a fmic for a track day? I will eventually get one but would it be necessary or would doing cool down laps work well enough, provided i'm boosting fairly low.
Page 1 of 15 1234567811 ... LastLast