Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing my car for track use

Daily
    '99 S2000

FMICs are generally for increased power right? It cools the air going into your intake meaning more power due to added density if im correct...

so in saying that, no, you dont need one... they might even make your car harder to drive (more power, more wheelspin hehe)... but more power is always fun =D
    Daily
    '99 S2000

oh ram, ill reply your email soon! didnt get to check last night/this morning
    Daily
    Nothing now
    Name
    Chris

what are the details for december 1 circuit club day narada?? Where do we sign up
    Daily
    180SX

Quote Originally Posted by narada View Post
    oh ram, ill reply your email soon! didnt get to check last night/this morning
    No worries!

Thanks Ricki, will definitely look into gettin gauges and a cooler. Just gotta find who makes good ones for my car.
    Daily
    Landcruiser, GS430
    2nd Car
    Supra
    Name
    Shane

Being an older rotary, I would definatley change the engine oil

Change brake flueid to at least 5.1

Put your stock 16" wheels on.

Maybe change diff and transmission oil too

Check radiator fluid, ideally flush it out and add new coolant.

Some higher temp pads, try greenstuff, good things for the beginner

Also, do 2 hot laps and cool down one.

Remember rotaries do drink oil so keep an eye in it, maybe carry some with you, aswell as radiant coolant.

Go out and have fun, no point putting semis on as i gurantee (if you push hard enough) you will spin out!
    Daily
    Honda S2000 (AP2)
    2nd Car
    London Underground
    Name
    Rix

Umm you might want to pay Earls a visit. Trust should most likely have one for your car... i'm using a trust kit.

Earls in quite exxy, but worth every penny. Just like ARC... they are amazing... but veeryyy expensive! You get what you pay for tho, and an oil cooler is not something you want to 'save' on! Neither are gauges. i wouldn;t trust anything else but Defi.
    Daily
    '99 S2000

the details for the trackday arent up yet, and nobody is booked in. The event is going ahead 100%, just there has been a couple of changes pop up in the past couple of weeks that we need to clarify.

best bet is to send me an email first, that way i can reply to you as soon as its ready to go!
    Daily
    Nothing now
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by narada View Post
    the details for the trackday arent up yet, and nobody is booked in. The event is going ahead 100%, just there has been a couple of changes pop up in the past couple of weeks that we need to clarify.

best bet is to send me an email first, that way i can reply to you as soon as its ready to go!
    OK, no worries, I'll get onto that later.

First on the list would be look at your brakes - they cop an absolute beating on the track. Get yourself some good pads (Endless, Ferodo, Hawk all have good track offerings) and change your brake fluid (Endless RF650 and Martini GS610 are my two favourites, although Motul RBF600 is also very good and well priced)

If you're due for a set of tyres have a look at something like a set of Falken Azenis RT615 - they're a R spec tyre but on the street side of the scale so you can use them for everyday driving as well. They have nice big chunky outside blocks so are better at copping a beating without falling apart.

Definitely do an oil change before you head out there. Also consider gearbox and diff oils as well. Fill up with good fuel before you hit the track. Take a bottle of drinking water with you as well. When you get to the track don't worry too much about how fast you are - just take it easy, learn the track, find out where your braking points are and keep it smooth. Then work up the pace - brake later etc etc...

I reckon your biggest risk is that your radiator may be clogged and so you might overheat. A bigger rad would fix this of course, but since your motor is stock, I would say that a restored stock radiator would do the job. Your engine already has a huge oil cooler underneath the rad btw.

Getting the stock radiator inspected and cleaned out will prolly cost about $200 or so. Also make sure that all of the plastic ducting and panels in front of the radiator are still in place. The FC has the radiator in a weird spot, and so if the stock plastic panels have been removed, then the incoming air can just go around the radiator instead of thru it.

Apart from that, the only other reliability things would be (as many have said) to change your brake fluid, and inspect your pads to see that you have at least 4-5mm of meat left. And you should get a boost gauge anyway and we've talked about before and what Justin said is good advice, if you keep your hot laps to only 5 at a time, then that will keep the temps down and the car happy. And never come into the pits without a cooldown lap. If you're still having probs with temps, turn your heater on full bore to give the engine some extra cooling (not so cool for you unfortunately)

And that's it really, that will take care of the car (you've just had a service recently anyway), just go out there and have fun
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast