Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing my car for track use

Daily
    180SX

Thanks guys

Kev~Yea i was just doing some reading of my own and it seems the stock oil cooler is enough to handle quite alot, so thats good news! The bad news is, as you said, the stock raditator is quite hopeless. But $200 is not bad, definitely less than i'd been budgeting for.

Is changing brake fluid a big job, is it something I can easily DIY? Same with brake pads?

Changing fluid is a 2 man job but if you have a few bucks in the budget I would recommend you buy a set of these: www.speedbleeder.com which makes it a pretty easy one man job (also get the optional bag and hose). Pads are also easy to change once you know how (the hard part is jacking up the car).
    Daily
    '99 S2000

bleeding brakes is very do-able with two people DIY, but its so easy to get it wrong and put an air bubble in your brake leads! just be careful cos once you get one of those, you wont stop on track all of a sudden! haha

but just in case it does happen, just try and keep pumping the brakes until you can stop again (and dont panic!)
    Daily
    Honda S2000 (AP2)
    2nd Car
    London Underground
    Name
    Rix

Go visit Ben@ Touge tune. He changed my brake fluid. WOW!!! that's all I have to say. The old school way of doing things are heaps better.

Same break set up, felt 10 time betters with worse fluid.
    Daily
    Toyota Hilux
    2nd Car
    Toyota Prado
    Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by narada View Post
    FMICs are generally for increased power right? It cools the air going into your intake meaning more power due to added density if im correct...

so in saying that, no, you dont need one... they might even make your car harder to drive (more power, more wheelspin hehe)... but more power is always fun =D
    FMIC are more about reducing intake temps to starve off detonation and do offer a slight increase in power but will also increase lag. Heat is the killer of turbo cars and hot induction temps can be adressed with CAI and FMIC's which improve the reliability factor paticularly in summer and on track days.

If you are doing a track day with a stock IC then keep the boost down; more boost=more heat

i would dfefinatley get the guages fixed and buy tyres and if you can afford it a larger oil cooler if you can keep the engine oil temps down then not as much heat will be transferred to the water plus it makes things last longer

fwiw i would spend less and buy cheaper tyres cause its your first time to the track you should focous more on learning the lines how to brake etc etc not setting a sub 1 min time
    Daily
    09 CBR1000RR
    2nd Car
    04 Mazda RX-8
    Name
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Fox View Post
    You can get better lap times (to some that means more fun) on good tyres and stock suspension, than good suspension with crap tyres.

Tein flex on Nangkang tyres ftw!
    Daily
    Datto

My suggestion is to do a full fluid flush before you go to the track, especially if it hasn't been changed for a while.

Since you're a track novice, don't bother with semi slicks. Having that much grip just masks driving deficiencies (see the quote from me in VTECMACHINE's sig). Drive on relatively bad tyres (the Nankang NSII's are a cheap tyre that can handle a lot of abuse, and grip reasonably but not well), that you can afford to destroy, and learn how to detect a car at its limit and how to drive it there at a lower speed before you start trying to do it fast.
    Daily
    180SX

Hey guys great advice~

re oil cooler: The stock oil cooler in the FC has actually turned out to be quite competent, however the radiator isn't. So i'll be either flushing or replacing it with a bigger one come track time...

Also, I've decided to go with getting:
    - Gauages (boost, oil pressure, temp and maybe engine temp). Have no idea where to mount them though.

- Tyres: Adrenelins? I seem to be hearing nothing but praise for these and they are reasonably cheap. However, i'm still open to idea's with this, I will consider getting the nankangs becuase I like the idea of getting used to my car on crappy tyres and then upgrading later.

- chaning brake fluid and oil. Maybe some of the others too if I find good DIYs for them

- Brake Pads. I don't mind forking out for these, Endless seem to be quite good

And thats it! (for the track day anyway)

I'm pretty happy with that, in the end I think i'll end up spending alot less than what I had initially budgeted for.
    Daily
    Nothing now
    Name
    Chris

what are we looking at for a good set of brake pads and machining rotors??
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast