Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing my car for track use

Daily
    on public transport

For Good pads expect to pay $2-400 (or like thousands if you're rickey and get CCXes) plus around $20 a corner to get rotors machined

For your car you'll only need a boost gauge. Oil press, etc aren't so critical and are harder to mount because you have to stick a sensor somewhere in the oil system. Water temp is not a bad idea, and is easy to mount, it's easy to just put a sensor adapter into the radiator hose, but to be honest it's not a biggie.

Endless SSM are good road/occasional track pads ut to be honest if it's your first few times on the track Bendix Ultimates will do just fine.

Hey chris and shiram, here are most of the things I did to prepare for the track.. (I'm quite sure I briefly went through what you need for the track with Jong and Chris about it at Homers cafe)

PRE-TRACKDAY:

-Fluid Change (Engine Oil, Gearbox, Radiator Coolant, Brake fluid at least)
    -Brake Pad (At least 5mm)
    -Gauges (Not necessary but if you can afford them, go for them)
    -Tyres (At least 50% tread, Front Left tyre gets a caning at Wakefield. Semi-slicks are for wankers )
    -Tyre Pressure (Highway Air Pressure, mine is around 38PSI hot)
    -Helmet (I have a cheap open-face helmet, I don't expect it to save my life if I crash)
    -Empty and clean your car of any loose items

AT THE TRACKDAY:

-Buy some water for the day (You really do get dehydrated)
    -Fill up your fuel tanks
    -Lower your tyre pressures (Play around with tyre pressures at the trackday to see which works better for you, I have a tyre press. gauge and there's a public air pump at Wakefield)
    -Take out spare tyre + tools
    -Take out rear seats if you want to be hardcore
    -Tighten your nuts (both the wheels and yours)
    -Spend warm up lap warming your tyres
    -Fang it and have fun
    -Cooldown lap after every 3 hard laps

POST-TRACKDAY:
    -Tyre Pressure (Highway mode)
    -Change your brake fluid and engine oil ASAP (I was using a cheaper dot 5.1 brake fluid so my brake pedal felt really mushy afterwards so a change was necessary. If you buy top-dollar brake fluid, I don't think that you will get this from just after one trackday)
    -Brag about your laptimes on JDMST and to your friends

I can't wait til the December Circuit Club.. You guys (Jong, Zaw, Ro and Shiram) better come this time and not dog it!
    Daily
    Honda S2000 (AP2)
    2nd Car
    London Underground
    Name
    Rix

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbsy View Post
    For Good pads expect to pay $2-400 (or like thousands if you're rickey and get CCXes) plus around $20 a corner to get rotors machined
    hahaha...

I cannot do anything else but PRAISE the Endless CC-X pads. However, they are a carbon ceramic compound, and DO NOT bite hard on a NON carbon ceramic Rotor.
    Project Mu SCR-PRO rotors with endless CC-X FTW!

Arron some good brake fluid last a long time. OEM crap, stuffed over after my first track day. Then I used some castrol stuff.. exxy but AMAZING!!!, then I used Motul RBF6000 of what ever it is... and that was umm okayish. Not the best at all really...
    Daily
    MX5 SE

stock pads, disks FTW!

Lol...

do fluid flush and replacement of oil & oil filter... b4 and after track day, would be ur best bet!

also get a oil cooler... i just got one and cant wait 2 try it out (will do this sunday at wakie)

also keep a eye on ur tyre pressures... i run 34'C hot on my R888s(205/50/R15), if u do get semi slicks i would suggest a baffled sump....

Dont forget to use the warm up and cool down laps, they are very important for ur car... if u wona keep it working in good condition that is

Aswell as dont pull up ur handbrake when u get in 2 the pits after ur few laps, alot of ppl do this! and it causes the pads 2 stick n shit.. just put it in gear...

most importantly HAVE FUN! :p

but yer, basic things like checking ur cars fluid levels and stuff is always good 2 do after each seasion....

Quote Originally Posted by arron View Post
    -Lower your tyre pressures (Play around with tyre pressures at the trackday to see which works better for you, I have a tyre press. gauge and there's a public air pump at Wakefield)
    some very good points arron

probably the simplest and most overlook mod you can do that will save your tyres and improve your lap times

given that the front left tyre in particular gets a beating at wakefiel you can run less pressure in that tyre because that tyre will heat up more than the others
    Daily
    Nothing now
    Name
    Chris

thanks arron.. yeah i REALLY want to go to this coming one.... the only thing that might stop me is I'm going to be driving up to Forster in that week..maybe even on that day so I have to see how that stuff turns out

Quote Originally Posted by zawrilla View Post
    thanks arron.. yeah i REALLY want to go to this coming one.... the only thing that might stop me is I'm going to be driving up to Forster in that week..maybe even on that day so I have to see how that stuff turns out
    u suck arse if you go to Forster
    Daily
    180SX

haha yea Zaw screw Forster stop being whipped. Anywa, once again some great advice.

Arron: I will be there fo' sho. I'm already excited haha. Me and Jong arew gonna have a show down. I hope we both stay on the track..

OH yea and Clint will probably be coming too
    Last edited by ram; 29-10-07 at 10:25 AM.
    Daily
    Nothing now
    Name
    Chris

well I'm going to try and push the dates for going to forster back to like the 3rd or 4th. so it gives me a good day or two t recover and change stuff over on car.