Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing my car for track use

Daily
    Tangara
    2nd Car
    Honda Mirage

sorry to steal the thread but when it comes to gauges, ive been looking at Defi ones they seem really good but are very expensive, what other brands do you guys recommend, are Saber Gauges good because they seem like good bang for buck gauges.

Cheers
    Steven
    Daily
    RPS13

Buy defi... bite the bullet and cry that u spent so much money..

you won't regret it =)
    Daily
    on public transport

I just find it neigh on impossible to justify spending that much on a set of gauges. Yes they have memory...wow, for the price of them i could buy an aftermarket ECU and then just plug in a laptop and datalog everything...and then i'd have an ECU to show for it!
    Daily
    180sx

Which gauges are absolutely necessary? Aftermarket boost/oil temp/air fuel ratio?

For track use I'd say:

-boost
    -oil temp
    -oil pressure
    -water temp
    Daily
    Tangara
    2nd Car
    Honda Mirage

yea ive decided to ditch the gauges, no money and its not like my lil crx is gonna overheat or anything coz atm its mainly steet use

id rather invest and do a fluid flush to maintain my engine rather than to monitor it with gauges

anyways thanks for the advice guys

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbsy View Post
    I just find it neigh on impossible to justify spending that much on a set of gauges. Yes they have memory...wow, for the price of them i could buy an aftermarket ECU and then just plug in a laptop and datalog everything...and then i'd have an ECU to show for it!
    well they also have warning alarms when say oil pressure is low etc and you can look at them while your going round to see where everything is at alltho if you have a good enuf ecu then you can set up a idiot light for things like oil pressure etc
    Daily
    Tangara
    2nd Car
    Honda Mirage

ok guys refreshing this thread because ive commited to the track day on anzac day

ive decided on a new set of RDA slotted rotors

still deciding on brake pads, looking at bleeding my brakes also so some new fluid is required

im still deciding if gauges are necessary im going to have to go with Saber Gauges though, cant afford Defi just yet

changing engine oil is not a problem

looking at flushing my radiator (cheap and simple)

tyre wise i have a set of Khumo Ecstas with about 60% tread left so i think they'll be ok for the day

i have a helmet already and also a honda racing suit

anything else you guys recommend for my crx, what are some other precautions i should take into consideration so my car doesnt die on the track
    Daily
    Honda S2000 (AP2)
    2nd Car
    London Underground
    Name
    Rix

Quote Originally Posted by OVTEC View Post
    yea ive decided to ditch the gauges, no money and its not like my lil crx is gonna overheat or anything coz atm its mainly steet use

id rather invest and do a fluid flush to maintain my engine rather than to monitor it with gauges

anyways thanks for the advice guys
    Hell no H2O..

Little Honda motors REVVVV, and they get veryy hot! Be careful dude! Invest in some guages, if your going to be tracking your vehicular transportation.
    Daily
    2002 Mitsubishi Magna
    2nd Car
    Evolution 4.6
    Name
    Keven

I didn't think my little POS 1600 would overheat, but after 4 hard laps, the oil was peaking over 100deg and the water wasn't far behind it. Getting back on track though, being a rotary, even in stock form they suffer from heat really really badly. The FC-S5 have great oil coolers, i'm not sure if the S4 has the same. Give everything a nice clean out (cooling system and oil system) and maybe if you can get an frp bonnet with a drop vent in. There is no point having nice pads/tyres/suspension if the car over heats every 3 laps.

Gauges are a must as they let you know whats going on under the bonnet. Go for more accurate rather than showy if you can (or want)

Other than that, if this is one of your first times out, or still getting to know the track than you wont need much else.
    If you ride a single speed and nobody sees you, is it still cool?