Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing my car for track use

Quote Originally Posted by OVTEC View Post
    ok guys refreshing this thread because ive commited to the track day on anzac day

ive decided on a new set of RDA slotted rotors

still deciding on brake pads, looking at bleeding my brakes also so some new fluid is required

im still deciding if gauges are necessary im going to have to go with Saber Gauges though, cant afford Defi just yet

changing engine oil is not a problem

looking at flushing my radiator (cheap and simple)

tyre wise i have a set of Khumo Ecstas with about 60% tread left so i think they'll be ok for the day

i have a helmet already and also a honda racing suit

anything else you guys recommend for my crx, what are some other precautions i should take into consideration so my car doesnt die on the track
    Nah don't worry about gauges. Monster's right though, in that after 4 really hard laps the oil will be pretty hot....but so will the tyres and the brakes. The easy way to manage this is simply to only do 2-3 really hard laps at a time, then back off a bit and let the temps come back into range. Go out and hammer the car for 30mins without a break and everything will be massively overtemp after the first 10mins and you start to wear things out very fast. BTW one way to take the edge off the engine temp is to run the heater full blast.

I wouldn't worry about rotors unless yours are below spec for thickness, but make sure you have at least 5mm brake pad material, and the most important thing is a brake fluid bleed and flush with good fluid. IMHO you don't have to go all out with super expensive fluid, it's a little like oil in that as long as it's fresh and clean then there's not much in it.

Engine oil change is not a bad idea...but make sure that all the trans has enough oil in it too btw.

Flushing the radiator is not a bad idea but if it's really clogged up then flushing it isn't going to help. If you can reach the front of your radiator, then when the car's up to temp, touch the various fins and see if there is a spot which is colder than the rest. That will be where it is clogged.

Also get a front and rear wheel alignment, although in Hondas it's not really all that adjustable...but if the alignment is off, then your car will either not handle or it will wear tyres out quite fast.

Just go out there and enjoy it is basically what I am saying.
    Daily
    FN2R
    Name
    Eugene

Speaking about alignment, Sydney has the worst roads to keep your alignment good
    Daily
    Tangara
    2nd Car
    Honda Mirage

yea im changing rotors due to be changed so i might as well change to slotted rotors

gauges, still a bit indecisive but will most likely get it

and yes planning on brake pads with the car being serviced tomorrow anyways and i should be bleeding them later during the week with a friend of mine

but yes i will definately keep in mind a cool down lap ever 2-3 laps
    Daily
    turbo donkey

Quote Originally Posted by OVTEC View Post
    yea im changing rotors due to be changed so i might as well change to slotted rotors

gauges, still a bit indecisive but will most likely get it

and yes planning on brake pads with the car being serviced tomorrow anyways and i should be bleeding them later during the week with a friend of mine

but yes i will definately keep in mind a cool down lap ever 2-3 laps
    rotors can be standard but good pads are what is important on the track.
    crap pads just burn up on the track.

for a light car like yours EBC green stuff is bang for buck.
    Daily
    180SX

Seeing as thouhg I started this thread let me share with you with I ended up doing on my first trackday.

Firstly though, listen to Babs. His advice will save you money.

I would also say that unless you NEED to change your rotors due to damage or something, you'd be better off pocketing your money or spending it on some other mods.

All I did was change my brake pads and change the oil. I had the shittest tyres on my car as well and I still had a ball. Incidentally I used Bendix Ultimates and they seemed to be fine, I got them from Race Brakes Sydney in Wetherill Park for like 120 a pair.

Since my first track day though I have changed a few other things. I upgraded my clutch to an Exedy HD because they get hammered at the track. I also installed gauges which I have found to be very useful. Transmission fluid is another biggy.

If your budget extends a bit further, I would say aquality bucket seat would be a good buy too.

But seriously, you will have a great day with just an oil change, 98 RON petrol and some good brake pads.

best thing you can do is take some oil and water with you.

oil for the car water for you and enjoy the day
    Daily
    Tangara
    2nd Car
    Honda Mirage

sweet!!!

thanks for the advice guys

i think i know what im going to do now

and i already have a bucket seat
    Daily
    Toyota Hilux
    2nd Car
    Toyota Prado
    Name
    Phil

Another overlooked budget item but well worth it is a fire extinguisher.

If your going to be pushing your car or for just everyday safety its a worth while investment

only problem is most dry powder fire extinguishers do squat to oil fires unless you have a 20kg one or something you better off getting to a fire marshal or a point where there is a proper extinguisher
    Daily
    Tangara
    2nd Car
    Honda Mirage

Quote Originally Posted by rusty1 View Post
    Another overlooked budget item but well worth it is a fire extinguisher.

If your going to be pushing your car or for just everyday safety its a worth while investment
    yea already have one

i feel a lot more prepared now, thanks for all your help guys