Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to start

Daily
    97 Mitsubishi Magna
    Name
    Jake Gauci

Wanting to start

So since i was about to turn 16 my mum made it clear that if i where to get a bike license + bike she would rip my head off. Now im about to turn 19 and im over it and want one too much, so my question is what is the best bang for buck bike, i want a reliable one and i would rather a better looking one but if it kicks ass i wont really care, the japanese style ones have always caught my eye and if always thought that the big bmw bike look like a pos, im looking for a bike for around 3k what should i get, because i know nothing

get a car, being on a bike is dangerous..... there now that that is out of the way, it all depends on what style of bike you like.... ie cruiser, naked, sport. so many bikes out there with completely different characteristics. it all depends on what your style is. but good rule of thumb is get something japanese, something cheap (because you will drop the bike whether you think you will or not), and something as new as possible within your budget (coz a lot of the older 1990's bikes have big problems even though they may say they've don low kms).

AH and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, do not go cheap on bike gear. make sure you have decent bike gear, it will save your life and limbs.
    Daily
    97 Mitsubishi Magna
    Name
    Jake Gauci

got a car just not i good one, ill get a good car b4 i get a good bike, thanks for the advise, i did not now that early 90 bikes have problems and i havnt even thought about what bike gear to get
    Daily
    1986 MA70
    2nd Car
    1991 E30 318iS
    Name
    Tom

Ninja 250. Slow enough that you won't kill yourself too easily and still looks alright.

As above, though, DO NOT EVER skimp on bike gear. Ever. No matter how good the Aldi gear looks, get the best you can afford.
    If you can't afford good gear then you probably shouldn't be riding a bike.
    Daily
    97 Mitsubishi Magna
    Name
    Jake Gauci

Quote Originally Posted by Mokey Nagata View Post
    Ninja 250. Slow enough that you won't kill yourself too easily and still looks alright.

As above, though, DO NOT EVER skimp on bike gear. Ever. No matter how good the Aldi gear looks, get the best you can afford.
    If you can't afford good gear then you probably shouldn't be riding a bike.
    How much does good bike gear cost??
    Daily
    1986 MA70
    2nd Car
    1991 E30 318iS
    Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by gauci View Post
    I couldn't tell you, I don't ride.
    This is what I've seen and heard after watching my brother and his mates get their bike licences.
    Daily
    Lancer
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by gauci View Post
    Set aside around $1000.
    Daily
    Hilux
    2nd Car
    R34, Gsxr
    Name
    Ali k

$1000 sound about right for a decent jacket, helmet and gloves. Jeans and boots would be advised as well.

I started off on a Cbr250RR, the "hoon" L plater bike if you will. they're still pretty expensive considering its a 20yo bike but 3k should find you something decent if you're patient. Even if you spend a little more, resale market for these is great so you cant really lose money on a CBR.

Ninja 250 if you wanted something more modern, I ride a gsxr1000 now and I still love jumping on mates CBR250's, 19000rpm redline is alot of fun!
    Northern Beaches Tyres
    1/ 24-26 Winbourne Rd Brookvale NSW 2100
    02 9938 4413
    info@nbtyres.com.au
    For all Drift/Race/Stretch/4WD/daily tyre needs, including alignments and repairs
    http://www.facebook.com/nbtyres
    Daily
    97 Mitsubishi Magna
    Name
    Jake Gauci

Quote Originally Posted by Ali K @ NBtyres View Post
    $1000 sound about right for a decent jacket, helmet and gloves. Jeans and boots would be advised as well.

I started off on a Cbr250RR, the "hoon" L plater bike if you will. they're still pretty expensive considering its a 20yo bike but 3k should find you something decent if you're patient. Even if you spend a little more, resale market for these is great so you cant really lose money on a CBR.

Ninja 250 if you wanted something more modern, I ride a gsxr1000 now and I still love jumping on mates CBR250's, 19000rpm redline is alot of fun!
    yea i was thinking maybe a cbr250, the only thing is i am pre fat atm(120kg) will this be a problem?? i heard once that ninja 250s hate heavy people
    Daily
    Hilux
    2nd Car
    R34, Gsxr
    Name
    Ali k

I remember lending my mate my cbr one night when i had it, he was closer to 125kg at the time but has been riding his whole life. No word of a lie, he managed to get it up on one wheel taking off on a set of lights (stock sprocket too, it can be done So the size doesnt mean a no, best thing to do is jump on one and see how it suits you.

But if you wanted something bigger then look at the Hyosung gt650r if you want to stick to a full fairing sports bike.
    Northern Beaches Tyres
    1/ 24-26 Winbourne Rd Brookvale NSW 2100
    02 9938 4413
    info@nbtyres.com.au
    For all Drift/Race/Stretch/4WD/daily tyre needs, including alignments and repairs
    http://www.facebook.com/nbtyres
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast