Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to start

Grand Sword Bearer Trolls Royce's Avatar
    Daily
    Name
    Chris

If you wanted to do it on the cheap, you could probably get an old Kawasaki ZZR250. They're still a pretty reasonable bike.

had a cbr 250rr myself as a learner. I absolutely loved it, but it had a tonne of problems and i would say i probably spent 2 k in the 18months of ownership just repairing stuff that went wrong with it. doesn;t sounds like much but considering its only a 3-4k bike its a lot. i'd go for a newer cbr250 or a newer kawasaki ninja 250 (even though i hate the sound they make so much makes me cringe). they cost almost as much as an old cbr250rr anyway and will be much more reliable.

Also another good word of advice is stay away from Rjays stuff. Yes dianese and alpine star is more expensive, but they last and age so much better. well worth the extra money in the longer term. look for a boot with good ankle support, and remember to shop around. MCAS is the biggest ripoff but unfortunately they have a monopoly right now.
    Daily
    Starlet

Quote Originally Posted by Trolls Royce View Post
    If you wanted to do it on the cheap, you could probably get an old Kawasaki ZZR250. They're still a pretty reasonable bike.
    I've got one for sale atm if anyone interested No rego, 40xxx KM
    Daily
    CBR1KRR - R27 - IX35

Just don't get a cbr250rr and ride around with some loud ass can, it sounds fucking terrible. My shitbox may not sound much better, atleast its not pumping out 130db 'look at me' I'm a sick **** holding first gear everywhere. Now that I have offloaded that, check out a Hyo GT650 if your bigger, open it up (see: de-restrict) and they are pretty torquey, especially for a LAMs bike. Spend some money on decent oils and fluids, some better brake pads, and some ~15W fork oil to compensate for your body weight and it would be a sweet bike. Just be prepared to factor in initial cost of getting a new Yamaha etc MOSFET Rec/Reg and a good battery and you will be electrical problem free (which is the route of all Hyosungs demise)
    Daily
    f20c'd s15
    Name
    Sung Luh

I'd get a cbr250. I think they sound great, compared to a ninja 250 with a fart cannon last week that overtook me. So loud and sounded like shit. Out of hyosung 250, ninja 250, cbr125 bikes the Cbr250 is the best learners bike I rekon. You won't be disappointed.
    l0ljks
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬─┬ ︵ ┻━┻
    Daily
    CBR1KRR - R27 - IX35

Just get the 650, it's not a nugget like the others, and its cheap. SV650 or GT650, either are sweet for people over 100kg. esp the gt650 being a larger bike, cbr250 feels like a pocket bike in comparison, esp being a bigger rider.
    Grand Sword Bearer Trolls Royce's Avatar
    Daily
    Name
    Chris

GSXR 1000.

Death is certain.
    Daily
    Cressida
    2nd Car
    ZRX1200r
    Name
    Clark

Hate to revive oldish thread but personally I'd steer clear of hyosungs. They just aren't up there with the Japanese reliability yet and too much risk for a learner wanting his first bike.

I'd try and stay with Japanese and don't even bother with the 250s if you are a bigger dude. No matter what anyone says they are nuggets for any one over 70 kgs.

All of the big manufactures now do 600/650s for learners and if you are going to be spending 3 years atleast now adays on one you may as well get something you won't get bored with too quickly. Also have a look at the gs500 old tech and a bit boring but with a hearing change will demolish all 250s on the road even with a big rider.

Also yes get gear. Start at a minimum with helmet, gloves and jacket. Wear durable jeans and some decent boots then once you have left the car park get some Kevlar jeans or leather ones if you like the village people. And some comfy riding boots. Then ride until you have to re fuel then start again.

If you have no confidence in riding you are as good as dead.
    Nerves are fine but if you aren't confident it will make you enjoy riding a lot less than you can.
    Daily
    97 Mitsubishi Magna
    Name
    Jake Gauci

thanks for reviving, whenver im not good at something that requires alot of balance I almost always end up pushing myself to hard and hurting myself, whether its skateboarding, bmx riding, and probably something else i cant think of atm
    Daily
    97 Mitsubishi Magna
    Name
    Jake Gauci

Thanks heaps for all of the advice guys, ive decided i probs wont get a bike as everyone has convinced me they are to dangerous, such a shame I get teased buy them every time a nice looking bike goes by, to the point when i think about it for the next 5 mins lol, would have solved some problems money wise also because i wouldnt feel the need to get a better car, unless someone here says something i never thought of im not going to get one and i just hope ill stop getting jealous, dont act like this thread is dead, im looking for someone to convince me to get one lol
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast