Thread: Andrews 1990 Silvia - LS1 swapped, Z32 rear subframe, R230 diff

Daily
    The car you drive everyday
    2nd Car
    Civic Vti-R
    Name
    Justin Holden

I'm digging the homemade muffler !!!!
    Make sure you have given EZY Slider a like...........

https://www.facebook.com/ezyslider
    Daily
    1993 MX-5 KL V6 swapped
    2nd Car
    1990 Silvia LS1 swap
    Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Fooku
    That car rolled but the airbags didnt go off? WTF?
    I know, so weird! I guess since there wasn't a frontal impact... still I'd like to have the side airbag go off in a rollover.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer
    i thought it was bad to heat up a head as it can soften the alloy which in turn causes the torque settings to always be wrong

also why not just go to pick and payless and get a muffler off a car with an engine similar or larger specs and use that?
    Mmm, well it probably does soften the alloy a bit but unless it's a full on race motor I tend to think it would be OK.
    As for the muffler I had the perforated tube on hand so that didn't cost anything and the packing was about 10c for that much. Pick'n'payless want $50 per muffler usually which is an absolute rip off. It wasn't all about cost saving, though. I wanted a muffler which was twin 2" straight through, quiet enough to pass the noise test yet be a straight through muffler, as well as fitting within the available space. It was easier to make one than to look under every car at the wreckers and still not find the right one. This one can also be modified pretty easily to be a twin 2.5" straight through which is what I might upgrade to at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by justinspiderholden
    I'm digging the homemade muffler !!!!
    Cheers mate!

Well this is what the engine bay of the car looks like (again)

I've given up with repairing the cylinder head. I think I could probably do it but if I fail again then it means I have to buy yet ANOTHER head gasket (about $65) and another set of head bolts (~$85) which is not fun. Also, another set of cylinder heads will give me a couple (including the stuffed one) to practice porting on, which I plan to do when I upgrade the cam after it's registered.

I found a set of second hand cylinder heads on gumtree for cheap and picked them up. As of this picture I've cleaned up one of the heads, lapped the mating surface and also lapped the valves just to be sure it's all good.

The cleaned up head is on the right if you can't tell

I forgot to mention in my last update that on the test drive the power steering reservoir had got too hot to touch within about 5 minutes driving, so I bought a cheap ebay oil cooler and put it inline with the return line.

A mate of mine made the bracket for me and we attached the other side of the cooler to a stock mounting hole on the chassis.

I'm officially flat broke at the moment but I have everything to finish the car except for some handbrake cables and a pair of new tyres. Then it's just engineering and rego when I have the $$$
    Daily
    1993 MX-5 KL V6 swapped
    2nd Car
    1990 Silvia LS1 swap
    Name
    Andrew

Well the car is now 100% ready for defect clearing, emissions testing and all that. However I still have to buy R33 handbrake cables and fit the 5 stud conversion, 300zx brakes, new wheels setup before engineering. That should only be a day once I have the handbrake cables so it's not a big deal. I'm going to try to get it cleared early next week and apply for an unregistered vehicle permit to drive it to the engineer, the emissions test, and somewhere really far away to get a decent tune into the ECU for the emissions test.

I got a complete R33 front and rear 5 stud hub setup for cheap. Unfortunately the fronts are not interchangeable, but even for just the rears and handbrake drums it was a steal.

I also washed the car in preparation for showing it to the blue slip guy.

Looks like a piece of crap haha, perfect
    Daily
    Boss Baller 180sx
    2nd Car
    sil80

do you have a stock front bar for rego engineering you can chuck on ? will make it look a lot more "legit"
    Daily
    1993 MX-5 KL V6 swapped
    2nd Car
    1990 Silvia LS1 swap
    Name
    Andrew

Unfortunately not I've been on the look out for a cheap one for a while. I really want to find one not just to make it more legit, but to give much more clearance. That bumper scrapes literally everywhere and the car isn't even lowered.

It shouldn't matter too much though, the last time it was blue slipped the guy said it was fine as long as its 100mm or more above ground. He even said the zip ties holding it on were fine I'm going back to the same place.
    Daily
    Boss Baller 180sx
    2nd Car
    sil80

here is one for 50 bucks in Sydney

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/show...-PARTS-MUST-GO!
    Daily
    1993 MX-5 KL V6 swapped
    2nd Car
    1990 Silvia LS1 swap
    Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    here is one for 50 bucks in Sydney
    Cheers mate, that one looks pretty rough lol. I ended up finding one on drift sales on FB.

A quick update.

I've found a second hand standard CA turbo front bar which I'll be picking up this weekend, but in the mean time I've painted the BN sports bar and it looks a lot more presentable.

Today was the day of the big IM240 emissions test and...... it failed

What my car got with the 2002 limits in brackets:

THC: 0.45 [0.26] FAIL
    NOX: 0.74 [0.63] FAIL
    CO: 0.8 [2.1] PASS

or alternatively the 2003 limits are CO: 2.1 and a combined reading of THC + NOX = 0.49. Passing either the 2002 or 2003 counts as a pass.

I had a good chat to the guy who ran the test and he said that the THC (total unburnt hydrocarbons) spiked on every gear change and when he initially came off the throttle. I think I may have caused this because I changed a few settings in the ECU to get rid of the idle dip it had. I'm going to put it back to stock and that should fix the problem. The NOX was high at cruise because the aftermarket high flow cats are not as good at filtering when they're not super hot (like when under acceleration). You can see on the graph the NOX spike at cruising speed. The car might also be running a little lean which would contribute to that.

So, on the way back from the test I filled the tank with E85 and I'll be booking in for another test ASAP.

The drive to and from the testing centre was very amusing, the car is SO fast but it definitely needs a tune. I think I'll steal the wideband from the MX-5 and use it to tune the V8.
    Daily
    1993 MX-5 KL V6 swapped
    2nd Car
    1990 Silvia LS1 swap
    Name
    Andrew

Just a quick update. I bought a fairly rough standard CA turbo front bumper. It was white but I used a combination of several different black paints I had lying around to paint it. It looks shocking but it's necessary for rego (apparently). I also like the fact that it won't scrape everywhere like the BN Sports bar did.

I'll be doing a bit more tuning on the way to the emissions test and posting the results here on Wednesday night.
    Daily
    1993 MX-5 KL V6 swapped
    2nd Car
    1990 Silvia LS1 swap
    Name
    Andrew

Another shot of the front bumper

Also I just finished my wideband installation.

Seamless, could almost be factory

The installation was straight forward, the only thing which took time was connecting the wideband analog outputs to the GM ECU. It currently simulates the narrowband sensor which it replaced and also gives the ECU the wideband signal which can be logged using HP Tuners

The gauge is showing lean at 13.5 because it's programmed for E85 (stoich is 9.8:1) and the car wasn't running when the shot was taken.
    Daily
    D22 Brahvara
    2nd Car
    s2 RX7
    Name
    Paul

Good luck with the emissions test. I hope you get it sorted.
    isn't paulies motto "i can run faster aroused, than you can scared" - clutch-monkey