Page 1 of 18 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: "Oh, its FWD??..." - Stoogey's 50 Shades of EK - Like a SiR (ಠ⌣ಠ)

Daily
    Chicken Feet
    2nd Car
    EK4
    Name
    Dave

"Oh, its FWD??..." - Stoogey's 50 Shades of EK - Like a SiR (ಠ⌣ಠ)

Gotta leave the house soon so i cant really sit down and do a full blown intro, but i will get to it when i get back later tonight. Or maybe tomorrow morning.

And yes...i bought a Honda...

Thanks for the photos Jo

FUCK IT.

Did the proper intro anyway...

Harro everyone.

So those of you who kept track of my previous build thread with ‘Chippy’ the blue NB8A miata would have known that my time for owning an mx5 was up, yet again. I had recently been diagnosed with a slipped disc in my lower spine (L5 S1) and that meant that living with a really small car as a daily driver just couldn’t cut it anymore. Sure, there are some really tiny ass cars out there, but the mx5 was just too small for someone with a back injury and daily ingress/egress was proving to be a shitty ass chore.

Oh well. What can you do…

The hunt for another car begun. I was not extremely desperate to get into another car, but I could not prolong my roadster life ownership as that would have been no good for my condition. I had only really started to bond with Chippy and I had so many plans for that car as well.

Even though I needed to make daily driving easier as soon as I could, I was and still am, quite picky when it comes to these things. I had a list of criteria that my next car had to meet…
    - Small/medium sized
    - Back seats
    - Reclinable front seats
    - Bigger boot than an MX5 (not hard to be honest)
    - Power steering, air conditioning and power windows
    - Sunroof (a MUST, unless you convinced me hard enough)
    - Fairly easy to modify and fuck around with
    - Fuel efficient (to a degree off course)
    - 8k budget roughly or a swap with the mx5
    - Fun’ish to drive

I had a few cars in my head that I was considering.

S14. I have ALWAYS wanted an s14, pretty much the only S chassis I’d want to own. Few things put me off though. Most were out of my price reach and the ones that were, looked like absolute fucking SHIT and was owned by the likes of ‘Yulleh at Condell Park’ or ‘Wallah Cuzzy at Bankstown’. There were one or two ok looking ones that were lux models with the sunroof but I never ended up going to check them out. I did lots and lots of research and I ended up deciding that I wasn’t ready for a boosted car yet, it’s just more things to go wrong and I cant afford the time and money to deal with turbro’s yet if something was to go wrong. Also I had minimal experience with boosted cars so there was that too. Fuel economy was another one. They aren’t bad on fuel, but it wasn’t the kind of figures that I wanted to see right now. I needed something that was reasonably frugal on the gas. Average 160-180c in Sydney for 98? FUCK. THAT.

SSS Pulsar. Not my first choice but I have always appreciated that they were pretty good cars. Reliable, drive ok, parts and shit aren’t expensive and you can find gems here and there (granny owned ones). There was a nice one floating around, an N15 S2 with an SR20VE in it that I probably should have went to take a closer look at, although I don’t think he was interested in swaps. It didn’t have a sunroof but the 20ve would have made up for it haha.

Clio Sport. Not sure I wanted to deal with euro cars and there random unreliability’ness, higher then average maintenance/servicing/parts costs and shitty resale figures just yet. Cool cars though. Most didn’t have sunroofs as well so yeah.

Mazda2 DE. I would have only wanted a Maxx or Genki model and they were all still carrying 9k+ prices so that was a no go. Awesome on fuel, reasonable amount of room for such a small car and zippy little things. No sunroofs but I would have forgiven that due to the fact that it would have been a much newer car.

Fiesta XR4. Same as above but harder to come by and they still carry a premium due to their rarity.

There were more on the list but those were just some examples off the top of my head.

Throughout all of this, there was a brand that always stuck in the back of my mind…but I refused to speak its name…

I had driven my mates (Glocker and eeko) civics (B18 EH and EK4) often and have always “not minded” them. But I still didn’t want one…

To me, the Honda community has always been alittle bit of a douchebag fest. And you know what? I still think it is. I appreciate the cars for what they are. Hondas are excellent cars, and there are some extremely nice examples rolling around Sydney, but FUCK, there are WAYYY too many dickbags and tryhards in the Honda community. It was a very big turn off for me. I could drive around in my mx5 and see pretty much any other mx5 owner and 99% of the time they will respond to my wave or nod of appreciation. Goes the same for most Nissan and Toyota drivers too. Honda driver? Fak, you give them a wave and they stare back at you with the down syndrome expression and face as if you just called their mother a whore, whilst wearing their Fairfield markets replica Gucci cap and bumbag. Then they pull up beside you in their integra gsi non vtec automatic, one hand on the steering wheel, seat leaned back and try to “race” you.

What am I trying to say? Im trying to say that the large amount of nutsacks in the Honda community ruin it for everyone else. That’s why Honda people always cop a bad name.

But…I was willing to overlook that…just…this once. I am really glad that i did, i have not owned the car long at all and have met alot of really awesome honda people (and some real special dropkicks too) already.

I kinda had to force myself to appreciate that the cars are good, and to just ignore the wannabes and wankers. Civics, integras and jazz’s all met my criteria, and a lot of them came with sunroofs too, that was a big bonus.
    So I went out looking.

Things moved very fast from there. It didn’t take long before I found this little ek sitting on gumtree and the owner wanted to swap…with an MX5…awww yisss.
    We met up, had a look at each other’s cars. Took test drives. Both happy. Then the rest is pretty self-explanatory.

I present to you.

Natalie.

1996 Honda Civic EK4 VTi-R.

Nothing special. It's fairly simple inside and out.

- Standard B16a2 138,000kms (doesn't blow any smoke, really good sign)
    - Pod filter in stock airbox
    - Pedders Extreme XA coilovers
    - 15x8 +15 BBS replicas (FOR SALE, looking to go abit more racecar)
    - RE002 195/55
    - Hurricane headers, Hi flow cat, 2.5" mandrel bent into a Spoon N1 rep. But thats gone now, more on that later.
    - Mugen pedals (99% sure they are reps, i cant tell)
    - Originally Cypress Green, but has been resprayed in some kind of gunmetal grey colour with a hint of purple in it. I've been told its similiar to accord euro grey, but im not too sure about that
    - DIY black headlight housings
    - Facelift tail lights
    - EK9 style grill
    - Shaved front mouldings

I will end it with this for now. Stanced/hellasnapback cars are fucking shit. As someone who enjoys driving, this is ridiculous. Driven even remotely harder then grandma speeds there's scrub everywhere. Car is excellent for parking though....Those BBS reps have to go (i know they are all the rage at the moment) and i need to put something sensible on and unstance this thing quicksmart.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by Stoogey; 09-05-14 at 12:23 AM. Reason: just because
    Daily
    Mazda NA6 MX5
    2nd Car
    D16Y Charizard
    Name
    Kay

Looks pretty cool, for a honda!

What size are your rims
    ಠ_ಠ
    Daily
    A380 then RX7 S7
    Name
    Nick

pics not loading
    There's something nurking in the shadows
    Daily
    VTI-T

Wow, beast lmao.. did not expect this one
    Daily
    RPS13

we almost have enough eks for a honda cup day at wakefield

i will use corolla though

because real man
    Daily
    NA6
    Name
    Monty Burns

Loving the meshies. Look forward to the build!
    Daily
    Chicken Feet
    2nd Car
    EK4
    Name
    Dave

First post updated.

Offff to the movies.

Till later guys.
    Daily
    Mazda NA6 MX5
    2nd Car
    D16Y Charizard
    Name
    Kay

I'll buy your rims mate!
    ಠ_ಠ
    Daily
    '00 Gc8 WRX
    2nd Car
    '73 1200 Coupe
    Name
    Sam

Too much Honda in here.
    Daily
    Corolla
    2nd Car
    Camry
    Name
    Joy, Happy, Love

I love your builds and your stories. so awesome to read.
    Top spec V8 whitegood << Finally hit the big milestone
Page 1 of 18 1234567811 ... LastLast